Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Jingleheimer posted:

technically, if you're shopping at Costco you need to have a membership
Not actually true. Unless it differs in the US, guests are totally fine as long as a) they're with someone who has a membership and b) they pay in cash. Guests are also technically not allowed to have their own receipts, so it's good form to inform the cashier beforehand. It's irritating to deal with, but because Costco doesn't advertise this sort of word of mouth/see for yourself thingy is pretty big for them.

Also, fun fact! If you bring a guest and get them to sign up for a membership, you'll (probably) both get a $10 cash card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
Technically speaking, Costco memberships are non-transferable (even says so right on it). It has your name and picture (probably) and only you are able to use it to purchase things. Silly as it is, that includes things like spouses if you haven't each gotten your own card for some reason. How aggressively this is enforced can depend pretty heavily on the building, and even then on the specific employees you're dealing with.

Heffer posted:

Always assumed they matched the names from the membership to the debit card. Whenever I've helped a friend out, I just tell them to pay in cash.
Yeah, guests are allowed to buy stuff on someone else's membership with cash (only) and if you alert the cashier ahead of time there shouldn't be any issues.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

True, but does it matter who hands over the card or which Debit card gets swiped if the member is literally 2 feet away from the cashier? If I swing by on the way home and load the cart up with midol and Tampax do I then get questioned about who those items are for?

If they're that protective of the membership rights, why extend the ability for friends to purchase things with cash at all.

I understand I can't just toss my card to my cousin and say go hog wild, but if the member is standing right there is it that much of a problem?

I guess this is all due to every store being run slightly differently as well.
Well, Costco may be "kinder and gentler" Capitalism in a lot of ways, but it's still Capitalism. As far as I understand/can speculate about it, there's two major parts:
a) Costco's deals are in part subsidized by the membership fees, so they don't want people who haven't paid to get the benefits thereof.
b) Membership fees are basically free money, and so they want to induce guests to sign up.

The cash-only thing (as it contradicts the first point) is pretty much specifically designed to let guests get a taste while also making it irritating enough that wouldn't you rather just sign up for your own membership (you both get a $10 cash card if you do!). Once someone has their own, they tend to shop more and then renew and then you can convince them to upgrade to exec and get the CC and the more invested they are the more they visit and spend. It's insidious. Full of value, yes, but insidious nonetheless.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
Yeah, that's just a thing they do. Sometimes it's for CCs and whatnot. You get used to it.

Teikanmi posted:

Executive is 100% worth it if you spend like $3000 a year or more I think which is pretty easy to do with gas, food and everything else
Exec cashback doesn't apply to gas.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
I'm a huge sucker for the chocolate-covered almonds.