Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

explaining is endorsing

Hold on, is this what everyone was talking about? I thought it was just some Belgian waffle style chip snack.

I need to try these immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

explaining is endorsing

First time visit to Costco, finally signed up since I don't plan to renew my Sam's Club membership. Over the last year what's been on offer has gotten worse and I've been really disappointed by some of the things I've tried, like their chicken sausage variety pack and their Lobster Bisque soup.

So, sorry to let everyone know but I don't find the hot dog all that good. Even for $1.50 with the drink its just too salty for me. I've seen it posted in the thread to use saurkraut on it but all they had were chopped raw onions. The slice is good, more cheese then I expected, still $2 vs. Sams Club $1.50 w/drink,

I found the Bitchin' Sauce or what I assume is the sauce since the cardboard box said "It's Bitchin" on the sides. There were 2 3 packs(7 0z), the one I bought, spinach artichoke, green onion, and chiptole red pepper, and a dessert 3 pack that was caramel, chocolate something, and a third. I tried the sauce with the bacon cheddar crisps, I'd say its like eating creamy hummus, the flavor wasn't too intense so I'd probably stick to spicy varieties if possible. Really makes me curious about the dessert sauce.

Sam's Club had a seasonal Strawberries and Cream Lindt Truffle I planned to buy more of but that Matcha blows it out of the water and I'm seriously debated buying 10 bags and freezing them to last out the year.

I went ahead and got the Premier Protein Vanilla; seems like the best flavor. Price was $27 for the case, which is a little expensive but typical for protein drinks/bar/meals, I'll probably wait until its on sale. I expect to make that my out the door no time for breakfast meal and cut back on eating too much at lunch. If anything sold me on Costco its the Nissin Raoh ramen. It's ~$15 for the 8 pack and cooking it with no frills or add ins it tastes better then many ramen restaurants I've been to.

Strangely enough, I saw few protein bars. Just the Kirkland brand, Premier, and Quest.

Overall I saw a lot more ~fancy~ stuff at Costco with a bit more variety for packaged goods. Larger selections of dried pastas, better options for bread(way better options) and a lot more brand specific stuff from higher end vendors. Better selections and options in the meat department, a massive tray of seasoned chicken drumsticks looked great but I already had food prepped out for the week. The amount of veggie/vegan alternatives was also impressive. The Beyond Burger packs looked good although I think the price isn't as cheap as it seems since the patties are significantly smaller then what are sold in the grocery stores.

Sad note: Tuesday morning, 10am, I didn't see any free samples being handed out.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

explaining is endorsing

Suspect Bucket posted:

Ok fine these FitCrunch bars are amazing. But I kinda like how I simply hate eating for awhile after having the Kirkland recycled food bars. "Wow, finally done eating that, I can't bear the thought of consuming solids for awhile". Great for a diet. I could eat a lot more FitCrunch bars. It's like a less suagry Snickers.

Gonna get some more soil next trip, we're still two months out from planting season here.

Those bars really are something special. Between that and the Premier Protein Vanilla shakes I've cut out a huge amount of my unhealthy snacking when at work.

For me they still both have that protein bar effect of "no, no more food, give your body a few hours to cope with this" that turns off the hunger in my stomach.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

explaining is endorsing

If the dumpling chat was about those bibigo frozen 6 pack trays then I have to say they are amazing. Frozen to cooked in 2 minutes in the tray, perfect appetizer or midday snack.

The filling actually tastes better then most delivery food dumplings I've had.

There's actually quite a lot of meal ready single serve multipacks I saw in the fridge and freezer section I wanted to get but held off on stuffing the fridge full.

I tried a teriyaki udon 4 pack kit, not a fan. The noodles were good but the rest is just the freeze dried stuff from an Instant ramen cup. Maybe as a base for fresh cooked meat and veggies stir fried in but its not a good value by itself.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

explaining is endorsing

The Costcos by my work and my home (I'm less then 1 mile away from 2 different Costco stores yay for Socal) always have at least 20 people milling around at the food court. Going during Sunday there are 4 lines and it takes 15+ min just to get to the window.

The first day of the change over is going to suck bad for the concession employees. It would make more sense to have Club member price and non member price. The hot dog and drink for $3 is still a good deal for lunch.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

explaining is endorsing

Took a late afternoon trip like a fool, but thankfully it was quick to get in/get out as long as you weren't trying to eat. There was a line stretching all the way into the seating area. I know the food will soon be members only but I didn't see a sign anywhere so its possible that specific Costco will still cater to the plebs (is it though? A lot of contradictory information and reddit locked the thread as Fake News).

Bought more of those 6 pack dumplings and decided to try the frozen Korean beef style pan fried dumplings. Once pan fried in oil (I used bacon grease) they are crunchy, delicious and honestly better then most chain/quick serve places. The bibigo brand of foods are all so far just incredible for the price, quality, and convenience.

Bitchin' sauce is gone, from walls of plenty last week to not a single one today and was replaced with the Kirkland DOP Basil Pesto. I've seen that mentioned before here so I grabbed that and some of the chicken/mozz raviolis to try it with.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

explaining is endorsing

Ultimate Mango posted:

We should be stockpiling booze, which is mostly water anyways.

What kind of low grade booze are you buying?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

explaining is endorsing

Haven't been to costco yet but the Sams Club was completely cleared out of toilet paper. They even had pallets of single serve 2 ply napkins and those jumbo paper towel rolls out where the hygiene products are.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

explaining is endorsing

If toilet paper is scarce you know what isnt? Paper towels and extra trash bags.

Start getting used to making these sacrifices now it make it easier when the dark times finally come.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

explaining is endorsing

Just saw a Apple Cinnamon "With Oat" version of the Premier Protein, but alas I have 2 cases at home. Was on sale for $22 too, but I'm really picky about those chemical tang tasting protein drinks.

Costco today at 4pm, completely hassle free and tons of stuff available that's been in short supply up until recently, even tons of chicken and beef from the deli. I'm thinking at least in CA where people having been spree buying for nearly a month now anyone who's got a Costco card has already filled their pantry, freezer, closets, guest rooms, and likely Costco impulse purchased sheds with all manner of dry, non-perishable, or soon to be thrown away commodities.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

explaining is endorsing

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Just got back from Costco. It was pretty empty. They were wiping the carts, had the register face shields, and didn't touch your card. Gas was $0.20 cheaper at $1.39.

I have 1.5 boxes of the chocolate Premier Protein drinks but saw those apple and oats one and really wanted to try it. They have 10g of protein less and 4g of protein more.

TONS of bottled water everywhere but a single sad pallet of TP. I'll never understand that. :psyduck:

And no dog. :saddowns:

You're going to need to explain that a bit better.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

explaining is endorsing

Any recommendations for using up the Kirkland Basil Pesto? I don't really like using it with pasta, but I added a spoonful to some scrambled eggs and it came out really well, didn't need to season the eggs at all after that. I'm not planning to eat eggs every morning for weeks though.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

explaining is endorsing

Just smh you all dont just cook off 1lb of bacon at a time and store the grease for cooking.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

explaining is endorsing

FogHelmut posted:

These are very wasteful guidelines with worst case scenario in mind. Two weeks is very possible for a lot of things, just pay attention to any off colors or odors.

This applies to all food safety labels. The "best by" date is less about protecting a consumer then it is liability coverage for protecting a corporation that sells it, plus encouraging people to dispose of edible food on the chance it could've gone bad and buy more.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

explaining is endorsing

FilthyImp posted:

I would hope all the retailers blanket ban returns on those items.

"Yes, we are 100% not going to let you return these. *activates PA* Feel free to wheel that crate of TP back to your car. By the way, police are not coming out for small property crimes anymore."

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

explaining is endorsing

Anyone still buying the lobster bisque or similar soups a great way to stretch it out is mix it 1:1 with some cooked pasta, like elbows or spirals. Something small cooked a little al dente for the bite makes a huge differences from just slurping up the base soup.

I haven't tried making a few portions and fridge/freezing them yet but I would assume it'd be similar to reheated pasta and sauce.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

explaining is endorsing

MarcusSA posted:

This is so false.

Masks work.

The science on the subject is cut and dry, most clinical studies don't show a tangible benefit for surgical masks, much less simple cloth coverings in a general public setting

If the virus is being carried by "aerosol" as people keep claiming? Basic and surgical masks won't do poo poo.

If someone walks up and sneezes in your face? Big help but you're gonna need to do a lot more after that to disinfect.

If you are carrying the virus, it really helps keep you from getting others sick.

If you want to wear a mask and expect it to limit your chance of infection you'll need to be in a high risk infection situation like a crowded subway or a hospital where a mask should make a difference. A mask is far less effective then keeping your distance, and its basically a hopeful method of last resort if all previous methods of hygiene didn't stop it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

explaining is endorsing

Anyone see a 1 limit item for fresh meat now? Costco is pushing the masks required policy and I saw the signs earlier about limiting the purchases but nothing major yet.

Lots of people there in groups of 3-4 loading up the cats with all the meat they could, claiming they each all had memberships and workers just staring at them asking why they want to take all meat.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

explaining is endorsing

Synthetic Dreams posted:

Should I become a member of Costco? I've been thinking about it for a few years.

As a single person with their own expenses not feeding anyone else, this is what I typically buy at Costco/Sams Club (I have both)

- Fancy prime quality expensive steaks, the $15 or more a lb kind, once I bought a 3 lb tomahawk cut and ate steak for 3 days
- Frozen dumplings, various kinds
- Frozen 'meals' like the angus cheeseburgers or Jamaican beef patties
- Large bags of vegetables, 10-15 lbs potatoes and onions, packs of peppers, etc.
- Fancy desserts and snacks, like the nutella crepes, macaroons, assorted Lindt chocolates
- Organic Milk
- Quinoa and Brown Rice w/ Garlic rice pouches in a box of 6 packs
- Double Fiber Orowheat bread 2 pack
- Boxes of pasta/noodles, either a regular pack of macaroni or Nissain Raoh Ramen
- Fish oil, glucosamine, pro-biotics, multi-vitamins
- Premier Protein drinks
- Bulk packs of sausages
- Assorted single serve cheese snacks gouda and havarti
- Trash bags
- Paper towels
- Cleaning supplies
- Detergent
- Large spinach containers for salad making
- 2-packs of shredded cheese

You won't be buying these things every month, but I spend typically $100 a trip and won't need to get anything for at least 2 weeks. With freezer space and enough storage containers you can easily stretch it longer and avoid any wastage. I ended up making "flavor blocks" for adding to the Nissain Raoh ramen of sauteed mushrooms, minced garlic, sauteed onions, and green onion because the mushrooms were about to go bad and I had a bunch of spare containers.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

explaining is endorsing

Enos Cabell posted:

Tried some of those Bibigo bulgogi dumplings last night, holy crap those are tasty.

I went from trying to expertly pan frying them carefully, to steam+pan frying, to just throwing them in boiling water.

They're amazing and I'll finish a bag a week just eating dumplings for dinner.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

explaining is endorsing

Just saw Bitchin' Sauce in a regular Vons in the same section as the hummus. It's $5 for the little 8 oz one but at least there's an option when Costco rotates out their inventory.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

explaining is endorsing

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Is this where making GBS threads bricks comes from?

Cheese is definitely a factor.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

explaining is endorsing

Dick Nipples posted:

Where do they typically keep it? I havenít looked hard - but I usually take a passing glance for it.

I've seen in in the refrigerated deli sections by the hummus and premium deli meats

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

explaining is endorsing

Delpino posted:

For those of us whose churches do not have the sauce of Bitchin', we may be able to find it among the heretics. https://www.bitchinsauce.com/where-to-buy

The same grocery store I go to went from 2 varieties of sauce to 5 in a week. They now have a pesto version I immediately grabbed when I saw it.

They have fully stocked Original, Chipotle, Cilantro, Heat, and Pesto.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

explaining is endorsing

StormDrain posted:

Chipotle, pesto and heat were all winners in our house. The curry one went quick too. Regular is fine. I don't think we would all go crazy if the big rear end tub from Costco was regular tho.

I've never seen multiple varieties of the tub, it's always several boxes of 1 flavor.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

explaining is endorsing

I got the Hot Bitchin Sauce, wow they aren't kidding. That was like the deep burn, this is gonna heat up your stomach for the next few hours hot.

Did not like the pesto style though. It didn't really taste of pesto. I have been eating the Kirkland Pesto with eggs, pasta or bread semi regularly so my taste buds might be a little used to the flavor.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

explaining is endorsing

Xaris posted:

Also Costco had these a-sha tawainese noodle kits, picked them up but haven't tried.

Those are really good for prepackaged noodles but make Top Ramen look like a low-sodium equivalent.

Make a pouch of noodles as a base for a larger meal or something if you eat the whole thing your heart might explode.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

explaining is endorsing

bob dobbs is dead posted:

its actually p rare to save money w costco wo a bigass family

Aside from food you can save a lot of money on cleaning supplies, vitamins&supplements, toiletries, and general consumer goods. You're not going to be buying those more often the 3-4x a year in the quantities they sell.

Food wise you're going to need to be eating a pretty consistent diet for the quantities you have to buy for produce to make it worth while. The produce isn't really that much cheaper then a regular grocery store.

There's a couple of Kirkland brand items absolutely worth it like the pesto. Bitchin Sauce is now more widely available but its $7 for the little tub in the grocery store by me.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

explaining is endorsing

Xaris posted:

this is probably most likely, the noodles themselves were just OK but like the sauce had nothing in it at all. honestly i can get way better fresh noodles at like tokyo fish market or 99 ranch in the fridge section or something for like $1 - $2 in the fridge section and then just put soy sauce and a bit of sesame oil and have exactly the same thing. i'm not anti-salt per se but if im gunna eat it it better taste loving good.

the only use case i can see for them is uh, if you live in the middle of nowhere midwest and want slightly better than average noodles to make some sort of stir fried noodle dish/chow mein/etc as a base and thats your only option. def not worth it

side question: i bought an instantpot sous vide version from costco back in march, the pressure pop-up valve that's supposed to lock the lid in place when it starts pressurizing isn't working unless i manually press down on the sides of the lid first, otherwise it just keeps venting while cooking, which is annoying. is this a simple problem i can fix or will costco still take it back? I also no longer have the box either. I'm not sure if it counts as an electronic for the 90-day limit or not.

Those noodles are actually kind of pricey too right? The Nissain Raoh 8 packs are ~$1.50 a pack of noodles but at least those taste amazing.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

explaining is endorsing

The nutella crepes are a surefire way to pack on the lbs.

Pop one in the microwave for 10-15 sec and suddenly you've eaten half the bag.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

explaining is endorsing

Gaius Marius posted:

It wouldn't do anything your toaster oven wouldn't.

Yeah, what is all the hype over air fryers? I see people talking them up like they invented a new kind of heat or something and I don't see how you can't just get the same effect from cooking something over an elevated rack in an oven.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

explaining is endorsing

Doodles posted:

I use a convection toaster oven for fries and things. It's just as fast, and I can make so many other things in there, like small batches of cookies, fish sticks, roasted nuts. Picked it up at a church last year, I'm sure it's still available.

I can't find my model in the online store, but this is close to it. Just ditch the digital stuff and put 3 control nobs on that side instead:

https://www.costco.com/oster-digital-stainless-steel-countertop-oven.product.100516026.html

So what I'm getting is this is a toaster oven, and you can turn on the turbo/fan part to have the hot air circulate quickly, which is the entire point of an air fryer? For 1/2 the price and way more cooking capacity?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

explaining is endorsing

FogHelmut posted:

Costco actually serves the best pizza in California.

It's either them or the sketchy as gently caress place run by a couple of dudes chilling watching football and throwing a fresh pizza in the oven when you order.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

explaining is endorsing

Pennywise the Frown posted:

If it's between an air fryer with an InstantPot then definitely go for the InstantPot.

They sell a Instantpot with an Air fryer attachement now, basically a big fan lid.

Also, has anyone else only seen the LingLing chicken pot stickers instead of the korean style dumplings? First time back at costco and there were more then a few things missing from the store I usually always buy.

I didn't see the honey blossom cookies either but they had a fancy box of green tea/taro/azuki bean mochi I grabbed to try that is shockingly good. I've never had real mochi or anything similar but the green tea flavor was especially amazing.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

explaining is endorsing

naem posted:

costco organic peanut butter has no ingredients beside peanuts and salt and it doesnít seem to separate all yucky like most natural PB and itís real good

Is it the one that comes in huge jar? I just bought an immersion blender and one of the things people suggesting using it for is to fully mix in oil in natural PB.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

explaining is endorsing

Dressed For Chess posted:

Whatís the consensus on the best protein shake / meal replacement shake available at the ĎCo? My wife has bariatric surgery on the horizon and weíre looking at meal options for the first little while.

I thought the consensus was the Premier Protein Vanilla shakes.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

explaining is endorsing

Cartoon Man posted:

The holy trinity

Overcooked a bit but was still drat tasty.

I'm particular to the Alton Brown technique for steaks in cast iron. Put the skillet in the oven, heat to 500F, when hot take it out and put it on the highest setting burner, drop in the steak and cook 3-5 min. Flip, place the skillet back in the oven 3-5 min, done.

The prime steaks, the 1 in thick ones, come out evenly cooked to a perfect medium rare in about 10 mins. Thinner cuts probably only need 1-2 minutes a side.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

explaining is endorsing

PIZZA.BAT posted:

it's pricey but worth it. they don't skimp on the chicken

I've eaten more then a few of those. I prefer the coconut curry with mango myself.

They taste better then most cheap Indian take out. It's $14 or so for a 2 pack, so it's a pricey solo meal, or a great deal if you split a pack into dinner for 2.

I think costco also sells the Seeds of Change Quinoa/Brown Rice with Garlic microwave pouches. I've mixed those with the curries and had an outstanding meal.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

explaining is endorsing

shadow puppet of a posted:

Picked up the $13.99 6pack of tonkatsu instant ramen. Because I want to eat rich people instant ramen just once. Feels good to also have a roast chicken In the trunk. Skipped the dog and drink tho so I donít feel that good about my situation and choices.

That ramen is great on its own. If you want to get fancy you can add some sauteed mushrooms and tofu to the water, hit it with green onion, sprouts, and a raw egg at the end.

You can add enough to make 1 pack 2 full meals worth. I even have some chopsticks and one of those asian soup spoons I use when eating it so I can get the full restaurant feeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

explaining is endorsing

Bum the Sad posted:

Brah

These bad boys are noodle king

When I go to the store I just grab the whole carton off the shelf and throw it in the cart.

They have like the perfect heat level to where itíd be painful to a spice noob but comforting to a pepper person.

I used to enjoy the regular red ones as a step up over the Styrofoam cups or basic 0.25c packs but the vegetables were never fully hydrated/cooked all the way no matter what I tried.