Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
Did Costco just stop carrying the 12-packs of 7oz Chicken of the Sea cans of tuna?

Those have been a loving staple of my diet for the last fifteen years, goddammit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

killer crane posted:

the wine section was encroaching on the produce area over the weekend. no potatoes, onions, bananas, and only one kind of tomato, but plenty of pinot.

also eggs were out, i ended up getting the cartons of egg whites. i have to wonder how many people are going to be sitting with dozens of rotten eggs in a couple weeks?

You can hardboil weeks-old eggs. You actually want them at least 2-3 weeks old before hard-boiling, makes them easier to peel.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Chinatown posted:

Then you can pickle em!!! I like mine mucho aspicy so I add some cut up habaneros into the brine. :D

My dad does this; I wish I had the room for it, because they're loving delicious (peppers and all). He also adds a bunch of garlic.

Paul MaudDib posted:

I really need to do some pickled asparagus this year, I love it but it's like $6 for a tiny jar.

That was one thing I was disappointed about, I'd seen some references that Costco might carry it but it turns out they don't (anymore?).
If you're in/near Seattle, the Pike Place market has them pretty cheap. So do farmers markets, frequently. Dunno why the grocery store ones are so expensive.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Grem posted:

Is Costco back to normal now? Running out of that frozen yakisoba. My kids love that poo poo for some reason, which is weird because they're kids, and they have vegetables usually.
That stuff is one of my work lunch staples. They have frozen ramen that's pretty good, too.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I Costco'd today. I was just supposed to meet my wife and bring the cold stuff home so she could head to work, but I ended up just driving there a little early and going in with the first group. Not too nuts, but they were handing out toilet paper and paper towels in the main aisle as you walked in and it looked like they only had a single pallet of name brand stuff for each.

Everyone was pretty well behaved, but the guy behind us in the line was an rear end in a top hat. He went in early as an over-60, bought a his limit of hard to get items, came back out and then tried to pay one of the employees $20 to let him in again. No luck there, but that's okay because he had 3 other members of his family all waiting in line with carts and they came in and each got their limits of toilet paper and paper towels.
Remember when a bunch of old Japanese people volunteered to help cleanup after Fukushima because they didn't want younger people taking the risk?

Boomers in this country would just make their grandchildren do it, tell them radiation "builds character."

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

canyoneer posted:

Our poor children are going nuts in isolation. My wife decided we'd buy a playhouse/swingset thing from Costco to set up in the backyard. We had been wanting one anyway, and them being stuck at home for the next month is a good reason to go for it.

She went yesterday, and asked for help up front to load all 5 gigantic boxes on a flatbed. Every employee involved thought she was a lunatic. People stared at her all through the store, and at least one took a picture.

We spent all day and we're halfway through assembly :suicide:
Did you get some sort of playhouse mansion or something?

I will say this pandemic has made me even gladder I don't have kids. Goons had it right all along: forever alone is the way to be.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I mean... isn't the idea to take that toilet paper and shove it up your rear end...?

What else would people be doing with it?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

God drat have i been eating more beans. Costco sells dem beans in bulk right?
My roommate and I have a tiny kitchen and are very lazy, so we go through these like crazy:

https://www.costco.com/organic-tasty-bite-madras-lentils%2c-10-oz%2c-8-count.product.100502845.html

Throw some rice in the rice cooker, heat up one of these in the microwave, put some hot sauce and cheese on it. Hella good.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

PokeJoe posted:

Storing bread of any kind in the fridge makes it go stale faster. Store it at room temp or in the freezer. This is because part of staling is a chemical process that works better cool but worse frozen.
Costco has some rolls that will literally go moldy in a day or two if I don't stick them in the refrigerator.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Arbite posted:

About how long should a 1.13kg costco mixed nuts pack last one person?

Sitting on the desk next to you, or across the room so you have to stand up and walk if you want some?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Quarantine has me doing experimental stuff, highly recommend doing chicken bakes in the toaster oven. Previously, I'd discovered the magic of defrosting them in the refrigerator overnight before microwaving them, but toaster oven makes a nice, crispy crust.

Next step will be defrosting then making in the toaster oven. Also, Church had Waterloo sparkling water on the cheap, if you like your sparkling water sweet, it's quite good.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
On the one hand, I hate my TV sending my data to other places. On the other hand, I login to Google and use YouTube, and the Smart TV functions are so loving easy to use and useful where I just need the TV remote to watch things instead of having to gently caress around with a media PC or anything.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I'm perfectly happy with my soundbar. I don't need satellite speaks all around my living room and a subwoofer that shakes the house.
I'm in a small apartment so it's not a huge space anyway, but my roommate & I got a new TCL TV and a Samsung soundbar (total system cost came out under $900). It's fantastic. And there's something to be said for just plugging the soundbar into ARC, and only ever needing to gently caress with one tiny remote control to manage everything.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The Hambulance posted:

Went to church today for my bi-weekly supply run. Meat was abundant. Toilet paper was down to two pallets, causing the people behind me to "stock up because it's getting scarce again". They checked out before me and the checkers told them TP was still one-per-customer, and the wailing began. They were told, very politely, to shut up.

PBUC
My church hadn't had the 12-packs of 7oz cans of tuna since, like, October. I always keep a bunch on-hand because I go through a ton of tuna. No signs or anything, tried to buy five, they only let me buy one. :qq:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

GORDON posted:

Imagine choosing the Costco mask policy to finally make a stand against government tyranny.

Like.... that was finally the last straw, for that "I woke up in a free country" patriot.

That line, and no more.
Look, the Costco mask is totally different, because it infringes on the "freedoms" of cishet white people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

priznat posted:

Does anyone ever get those frozen sliders? They get very damp when microwaving as the instructions say and wondered if there are better prep options.

They’re terrible but I also like them??
I haven't gotten those specifically, but my roommate & I have found that defrosting a lot of the frozen stuff in the refrigerator overnight (Angus burgers, El Montery burritos/chimichangas, and the chicken bakes, specifically) makes it cook much better.