Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

DNK posted:

fwiw, my global operations strategy professor was saying the TP shortage had very little to do with supply chain failure and everything to do with product/customer alignment.

The immediate and severe demand reduction in “commercial” toilet paper (businesses, restaurants, hotels, etc) put commercial TP manufacturing on hold while domestic TP (plush, five-ply, soft, whatever) was ridiculously under capacity.

Then it became a bit of a self-fulfilling phenomenon where as soon it was hinted that there was a supply shortage, a run on TP began which amplified the manufacturing product/customer mismatch; supply chains had to be rerouted and lower-grade, unbranded TP had to be parceled out from 40-pack boxes into 6-pack shrink and logistics shifted from Sysco to Kroger (etc).

There will probably be a HBR case study about it for future SCO peeps to write papers about.

There was an MSNBC article on this. While there were a few folks who went nuts hoarding, it was mostly due to the difference in supply chains.

For any goons in L.A. still trying to get TP, try the Vallarta grocery chain. It's not the absolute finest, but it's not commercial sandpaper, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Those potatoes are really nice. If they're he same one I've had in the past, there should be two packs so you can save half of them for another meal.

Shake a little Lawry's Seasoned Salt on them and OMNOMNOMNOM :dance:

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

GORDON posted:

I almost never commit to a Costco-scale-large quantity of a new food product, without having some knowledge about it.

More than once I have purchased a new item based on a sampling.

Same. Hell, when I first tried those Ultimate Fishsticks they sell, I didn't just get the fishsticks, I bought the toaster oven she was using to prepare them. CAPITALISM HO!*

*And I am capitalism's ho... :a2m:

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Went to church Monday (Woodland Hills branch) and the stupids are back. TP, paper towels, and most bottled water all gone. I'd already gotten what I needed in prior visits, but sad to see some folks still haven't realized COVID doesn't give you the shits.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Gaius Marius posted:

That's up to the GM and foodcourt manager. We are officially required to. But most of em figure if you've got in the building your good to go

My Costco's food area is outside of the entrance. They do a bang up business from everyone else working at the shopping center it's in.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Alan Smithee posted:

btw ive been seeing Hint water at costcos now, I recommend it though it may not be for everyone. It's not carbonated it's more like drinking from a water dispenser filled with fruit

I'd give it a shot but too many of those flavors aren't of interest to me, and the website shows they don't have lime or cucumber.(STFU, it's delicious.)

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Xaris posted:

They also had these (meme i think?) Samyang korean hot spicy chicken ramen bowls--16 to a box i think @ $18. i had one last night, it wasn't really spicy at all, infact i wouldn't call it spicy at all, but a pretty good flavor. they're more like noodles in gochujang paste because you drain out the water and just mix in a thick gochujang-type paste. i enjoyed it a lot, not sure if i like them more than the ningshim black ramen cups they sell. i think these may be the less spicy version of the meme things all the youbuters do?

I wouldn't be able to say for certain unless you said you were really into spicy foods, but you can bet that to the average suburban white family, those things are like eating fresh lava. Fortunately, there's usually hot sauce at the church that will make up for it.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
I use a convection toaster oven for fries and things. It's just as fast, and I can make so many other things in there, like small batches of cookies, fish sticks, roasted nuts. Picked it up at a church last year, I'm sure it's still available.

I can't find my model in the online store, but this is close to it. Just ditch the digital stuff and put 3 control nobs on that side instead:

https://www.costco.com/oster-digital-stainless-steel-countertop-oven.product.100516026.html

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

tangy yet delightful posted:

I was blessed last night with a 14.5 cu ft chest freezer from the church. What are some of your favorite Costco freezer foods to fill it with?

The various frozen fish fillets are always excellent (the tilapia loins make great fish & chips), and if your kids love fish sticks then the Ultimate Fish Stick they carry is great. And if your kids don't like fish sticks, have them checked for :downs:

The pork loin chops that come 9 to a tray (one of which is always odd-looking) can be frozen separately and brought out as needed to make stuffed ones or butterfly cut to make thinner for frying. I like to take a few and slow cook them in sauerkraut until they're nice and tender. I'll keep the odd ones in the freezer until I have a half dozen to make pulled pork with.

And then there's the two gallons of vanilla ice cream in two tubs. Keep the spare one in the freezer until needed.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Mine is graded on a curve.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

I split a Costco membership, i walked through the entire store and got a large jar of shelf stable mango pieces and a large jar of pesto. What are the most legendary kirkland brand products?

Toilet paper, paper towels, napkins, most paper products, in fact. Only one I don't get Kirkland is facial tissue, where I find i still prefer Kleenex.

Since the baked goods are all made in-house, I consider them Kirkland, too. And I love the muffins. Then there's the Ciabatta rolls and French baguettes, especially if you get there early and they're fresh baked. And I stopped making pumpkin pies for Thanksgiving after getting them at church for the past few years.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

FORUMS USER 1135 posted:

I foolishly bought two large rolls of cling wrap in 2012 or 2013 as a single man. I am still using the first one. The large roll of tin foil I bought at the same time only ran out this year.

We have a roll of tinfoil that we picked up during the Bush administration that's still only half used. It may end up a family heirloom.

And Kirkland milk. Can't forget that. So much cheaper than the supers.

Could the gasoline be considered Kirkland? Because that's damned cheap as well. Only issue is you gotta use a credit card, but COVID's made it so that's the better option for most things.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

fischtick posted:

Anybody know how long those raspberry crumble cookies are good f— hahahaha oh my god we ate all of them.

The only reason I'm not buying them is that I would consume the entire package by myself, sitting on my bedroom carpet wearing nothing but underwear, and crying.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

jisforjosh posted:

I forgot a few (4) small things that weren't urgent but needed within a week or 2 on my last Costco run and luckily they were all online with free shipping so I ordered them in one order.

4. Different. Packages. Will be arriving on 4 separate days. :shepface:

I guess I somehow picked items from 4 different distribution centers?

From what the other fellow was saying, sounds more like four different manufacturers.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

If you're not already in a tent outside the store, you may as well wait a few days for the crowds to die down.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

shadow puppet of a posted:

You guys do a great job of spotlighting the laborious chore that is coffee.

Just give in and become morning cola people. Throw away your dignity. Save lots of time.

I bet you air fry it too, don'tca? :baby:

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Pennywise the Frown posted:

This is exactly what I did. No panic buying for me. Any idiot could see what was going to happen if they just paid attention to the numbers for the past few months. I went last week because it was my regular time to restock paper products after 8 months or so. I hadn't been to Costco in maybe 2 months before then. My cupboards are completely full with pasta, rice, beans, soup, canned vegetables, fruit, ramen, etc etc etc.
Same. Only got caught on napkins, but that just meant getting slightly more expensive ones. But we're set for everything else.

Woodland Hills, CA's church is already out of the usual suspects, and as I shopped there myself for milk and eggs, I could hear people panicking as they spoke to each other or on their phones. And stop going in groups to the store, idiots! At least they all had masks on.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

SirPablo posted:

Anyone stupid enough to go to church today?

I have to run some errands later and while I don't have to go to church, I'll be driving past for a couple of them so I'll take a peek and see how packed it is.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

SirPablo posted:

You can use Google Maps data to see how busy it is without sacrificing yourself. Here is the church closest to my house.

Nah, when I say peek, I mean it. Like I'll be able to see from the street going past it.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

No no no, the schadenfreude thread is next door. :ironicat:

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

fischtick posted:

Two giant tubs of extra crunchy Jif or go home.

They only have Skippy west of the Mississippi. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

canyoneer posted:

Planted a couple lemon trees I bought yesterday at the 'co. Gonna have a wrinkly old lemon celebration here!

Everyone's up for a Lemon Party!:buddy: