Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Guys GUYS

I just found out that you can use the Costco Citi Visa card AS YOUR MEMBERSHIP CARD

Flash it on the way in. Use it to pay at checkout. No need for a separate card. It has your photo and your membership number on the back, so it is valid Costco ID.

AS IF THIS CARD COULDN'T GET ANY BETTER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

belt posted:

Did some winter clothes shopping at Costco today because I just moved from a part of California that doesn't have seasons.

Got some bomb rear end gloves and thermals for super cheap.

I, too, am in need of cold weather gear, as I live in LA but have to go to a wedding next week in Chicago.

Decent-looking wool/cashmere overcoat for $79? DON'T MIND IF I loving DO

PBUC

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Once inside my local Costco, while I wandered, not quite lost, though
Eating many a quaint and curious sample from every row--
While I shopped for beef and flannels, Kirkland gin and huge flat-panels,
Suddenly a raven perched upon my sherpa throw.
“‘Tis some awesome bird,” I muttered, “Hunting bargains just like me.”
Quoth the raven, “PBUC.”

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Grem posted:

Got a king size sherpa to go with my queen size sherpa. You know who's sleeping warm all winter? Me!

If you have them mate, you should get a twin sized sherpa out of it.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Peachfart posted:

I wish they let you mix/match the 2-pack deals. Like, I want to buy a package of danishes and a package of muffins. They are both 2 packs for 7.99(I think), so I'd like to buy one of each.

Same.

Anyone ever tried freezing the muffins or pastries? I love them, but as a bachelor living alone there's no way I could eat 12 muffins/8 danish before they go bad. The croissants freeze well enough.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

FogHelmut posted:

lol if you don't have the credit card and run every transaction in your life through the card like even paying bills with the card so you pay bills on your bills and you get cash back on your cash back

I love going out to eat with a group, because I'll just put the bill on my Costco card and have everyone venmo me.
- Server is happy they don't have to split a bill 8 ways
- I look like a baller (even though I'm getting paid back)
- I get 3% of everyone's check
- Doesn't cost me a dime at the end of the month

Also, thx to everyone who confirmed that I can freeze muffins successfully. Looking forward to fattening up for winter.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

FCKGW posted:

Bought this TV from Costco on Sunday for $449
https://www.costco.com/TCL-55-Class...zbd2mM26S6PEr36

It's a nice TV and having a 4 year warranty on it it just :kiss:

Spring for the Squaretrade warranty and it stacks on top of the other two. 7 year warranty for $30 is pretty rad.

I've had two name-brand TV's crap out on me after only a couple years (Samsung and Vizio) so I'm very warranty-conscious now.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

"Where could we get enough 100% USDA certified beef in this remote place to feed such a crowd?"

"How many dogs do you have?" Trastion asked.

"Seven," they replied, "and a few fountain drinks (with refill)."

"Trastion told the members to sit down on the ground. Then he took the dogs and the drinks, and when he had given thanks, he broke them and gave them to the members, and they in turn to the people. They all ate and were satisfied. Afterward the members picked up seven basketfuls of broken hot dogs that were left over. The number of those who ate was four thousand men, besides women and children.

The chopped onions flowed freely, and He said unto them, "Someday the Koreans are gonna go nuts with this."

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Statutory Ape posted:

Anybody know if i can join costco online and then immediately use my membership to buy something through their website?

I don't know the answer to that, but I do know that their website support is pretty solid. I'd call them and ask.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

belt posted:

The Costco here in Lincoln just opened like a month ago so I feel like people don't know about it yet, there are no lines anywhere and it's not crowded at all.

It's truly a Costco miracle.

None of my local Costcos (Los Angeles) ever seem to have a downtime. I've been at like noon on a Wednesday and it's just as crowded as it is on a Sunday.

At least they keep 80-90% of the registers open at all times, so the checkout lines are rarely more than 3 people deep, PBUC.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Xaris posted:

those sound good, but can you cook them in an oven or something instead? i dont have a microwave and usually use my flashxpress toaster oven to cook things quickly instead

I'm 70% sure there are conventional oven directions on the box.

I think pretty much all microwavable foods usually have oven instructions. In college I used to bake my hot pockets in the oven because I was a Fancy Poor Man.

Argyle fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 6, 2017

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

C. Everett Koop posted:

I'm supposed to bring in a desert for the office next week. Thinking about getting one of those Costco sheet cakes and being the hero everyone needs and deserves.

Costco pies > Costco cakes imho. But I salute your generosity to your coworkers.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Tim Whatley posted:

Did they change how they do things at all? Moviepass sounds great but I feel like it's thrown out instantly the moment you want to go to the movies with another person because you can only buy one ticket. I also go to a theater where it's reserved seating and everybody buys days/weeks in advance, meaning I'd have to drive outside the theater and check in or whatever like weeks out.

I also live in an area where there's a lot of presales/assigned seats, but all it takes is planning ahead a little bit. If I'm going with a friend, we just go to the ticket counter/guest services together and pay for the tickets separately. Or if it's a weekend, or a big new release, I'll swing by the theater earlier in the day and buy the tickets then.

Going with a group is an inconvenience, but I'm totally willing to do a little extra legwork to see unlimited movies for ~$7bux a month.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Whitefish salad on bagel chips with fresh onion is a pro snack.

This guy snacks.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Meydey posted:

Especially if you are shopping and the bathrooms are past the registers.

Yeah my costco's bathrooms are past the registers and I feel weird whenever i have to slip back through the closed registers after dropping off a 1/4 pound+ of my own if you catch my drift

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

EAB posted:

Man I can't believe how cheap alcohol is at costco. A bottle of Oban 14 yr at costco is $56 versus the $80 at the liquor store I normally go to. Wild! I bought a handle of the kirkland brand blended scotch for $18 and its actually pretty good.

Try the Kirkland 12 year. It's mad decent for the price.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Trastion posted:

Did you stop and fill all 50 cups with a drink before leaving the store?

And did you drive back to get your 50 refills?

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Geoj posted:

Not sure on the tissues but much earlier ITT someone observed that the Kirkland paper towels and toilet paper are made under contract by the same companies that make the national brands. You're getting the same product at a lower price with a different label.

I buy the tissues. They're great.

My only gripe is that they stuff more tissues into the same sized box (compared to name-brand). This seems like a weird thing to complain about, but they compress so tightly that your first few pulls out of a fresh box either (a) rip from being stuck inside, or (b) you end up taking 3 or 4 tissues stuck together when you only wanted one. After the first ~10 tissues are out of the box, though, it's smooth sailing.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

therobit posted:

Buy a Costco carrot cake for the wedding cake. If a Catholic wedding, then dog and refill for the sacrament. If not a catholic wedding, see how she feels about the sacrament. If she is not willing to acknowledge Kirkland above on her wedding day, then you need to think about if you want to be with this woman for the rest of your life.

For richer or poorer
In sickness and in health
Through first fills and refills

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Same. That makes so much more sense than mailing out paper copies.

In a perfect world it would arrive before the Superbowl, so I can blow it on a TV upgrade. But either way I am grateful the good Lord Costco has rewarded my devotion in this life and not the afterlife.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

I'm 33, and I'm always one of the youngest people in the store whenever I go. It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that there aren't a ton of young Costco members. Millenials just don't have the money that Boomers had when they were our age.

Every single "MILLENIALS ARE KILLING X" article should just be titled "MILLENIALS CAN'T AFFORD X".

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Anyone have the KitchenAid 6-Quart mixer that's on sale right now? I need a new mixer and would love to buy from the 'co, but there are a lot of mixed reviews on the website. poo poo like the motor smoking, overheating, metallic flecks from the dough hook coming off into dough, etc. Can anybody confirm/deny?

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I saw an article which said that millennials are killing Costco is this true?

dramatically reduced income compared to previous generation = no houses or families = our Costco trips are less spendy than the Boomers'

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

My local church was so busy yesterday that when I left, there were no carts whatsoever in the cart area. The cart collectors were hustling, but as soon as a row of carts got pushed in, the congregants would descend upon it and the cart area would be empty again within minutes.

Even though it was that busy, I was still in and out in under an hour, and there were only 2 people ahead of me in my checkout lane, PBUC.

Also, during checkout, they flagged someone over to upgrade me to an Executive Membership. I didn't think I spent enough at the 'co to make it worth my while, but apparently I do. If I don't break even, I can just get the difference refunded, so whatevs.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

My Citi Visa rewards cert came and I'm looking to blow it on a TV. Was going to use it toward a fancy Samsung but the $339 TCL 55inch 4K has me questioning if it's worth paying more. I figure with a 7-year warranty (Costco+Citi+SquareTrade) there's minimal risk involved.

Anybody have one?

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Ducked into church last night.

Saw handles of Bulleit for $32.99. Grabbed two.

PBUC, my brothers and sisters.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

PBUC but also atone for the terrible ideas bulleit has about gay people.

Crap, I had no idea. Bulleit has been my go-to for years. Maybe it's time to migrate over to the Kirkland bourbon or Canadian.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

GORDON posted:

If I had a smaller vehicle, I would.pull.the gas pump across the car from the other side. I have a big truck though, and the hose doesn't reach, walking around the long bed.

Also seconding, slow loving people. Sometimes it feels like I live in a world where everyone else is in slow motion.

Few weeks ago I was next in line for the pump, and was stuck for a near eternity behind a man who filled up his car, then got two red gas cans out of his trunk, filled them up, then got TWO MORE out of his trunk, filled them up, and then got a fifth and final gas can out and filled that one up as well.

The forward pump was occupied by an Escalade driver who looked like she had never pumped her own gas before (Got out of car, stared at pump, got back into car for her purse, dug through purse to find credit card, couldn't get gas cap off, etc).

Luckily I had a food court smoothie in hand to keep me from losing my mind, PBUC.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

GORDON posted:

I saw an entire PRIME strip loin today for sale for $7.99. That's a pretty damned good price for Prime.

holy poo poo

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

FCKGW posted:

Y’all fuckers sure do eat out a lot

When the check comes and it's time to divvy up, I put it on my Costco Citi card and have my friends Venmo me cash.

I don't just get my 3%... I get everybody's 3%.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

I have become a weeknight shopper. Here in LA every church is packed regardless of time of day, but I've started going around 7-7:30 PM and it's been heaven. Ample parking, traffic-free aisles, checkout lanes 2-deep max. It's heaven.

Gripe: My favorite store has an ample local beer selection, but like 90% are IPA's. Pretty sure the only non-IPA's available in a case was Firestone Walker 805. The rest were in variety packs that contained at least one IPA. I have nothing against IPA's, but SoCal has such a great beer scene, it sucks that all of the shelf space is dedicated to one style of beer.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Black August posted:

Money is about to get murderously, razor margin paycheck to paycheck tight, so suddenly needing to save and basically not eat or buy food for three months is pretty alright since one paycheck stopoff can usually load me safe for a month

Just gonna buy gross bags of nuts n' fruit for light subsistence snacking along with protein bars and lots of little salad maker bits and pretend my local mart I blow too much on for dumb poo poo no longer exists

Pick up a 25 pound bag of flour and take up breadmaking. It's a cheap hobby and surprisingly easy, especially with no-knead techniques.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I wish I had a toaster oven then I could cook 2 potatoes at a time instead of using the whole oven

I wish my toaster oven could make toast. I have to manually flip the bread otherwise one side gets burnt while the other side is pale.

Toaster ovens are awesome for literally everything except toast.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

therobit posted:

Widmer Beer used to do variety packs just for Costco. I used to buy them before at least half of every variety pack became IPA.

Here in SoCal we get Modern Times variety packs and they're fuckin DOPE. 16oz 18-packs with 3 each of amber, stout, gose, pale ale, saison, and seasonal IPA, all for $30 which is a steal considering that a Modern Times 4-pack is usually $11-13.

But yeah way too many IPAs on the shelves in general. Like 2/3rds of the craft beer inventory seems to be IPAs.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

I don't know why I took so long to try them, but the coffee cake muffins might be the best thing in the bakery section*.

(*after the butter croissants)

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Taima posted:

To be fair it's clearly at a ball game or some other event with $10 beers.

I was at Dodger Stadium on Saturday and the craft beers were $17.75.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

hope and vaseline posted:

... I have got to try this

Pro tip: Melt a couple tablespoons of butter. Toss panko in butter, THEN sprinkle it on top of the mac. Maximizes your golden-brown-toastiness.

Plus it's already a calorie bomb, a little bit of butter isn't going to hurt anything.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Chinatown, I know you eat the Normandy blend like a true hero. You've mentioned that you sometimes just have a bowl of vegetables. What are some of the ways that you prepare them. Cooking, seasonings, everything.

NORMANDY SOUP

I just use the Gordon Ramsay broccoli soup recipe, except with the Normandy blend.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KR44a_5v_A

I skip the goat cheese because I don't usually have any on hand. But I do recommend adding a few peeled garlic cloves to the initial boil, as well as a shake of cayenne or paprika to the blender. A splash of cream never hurt anyone either.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

AWarmBody posted:

Do I really need to wash my Sherpa throw before first use like the instructions say? I'm afraid it will spoil the cloud-like quality

I washed mine and the fluffiness remained unchanged. PBUC.

Argyle fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

tangy yet delightful posted:

What is the bath towel tip?

I went through the last 40 pages ctrl+f'ing for the word "towel" and only found stuff about paper towels.

So I have no idea, unless the tip is to... buy them because they're good?