Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

My trip to church this past Saturday pre-snowstorm was surprisingly sedate. It was busy, but not shoulder-to-shoulder busy like I expected.

We hit the samples pretty hard.

Lobster ravioli - tasty, but not worth the price
Kirkland canneloni - good but I like the pasta/sausage/tomatoes/spinach product more
Salami and cheese - salami and cheese
Impossible meatballs - surprisingly good with a bit too much italian seasoning - I think I can still taste it when I burp
Plantain chips - very good, snagged a bag, not at all sweet like I expected
505 chile on tortilla chips - you all know the deal, it owns
Vanilla and strawberry yogurt - didn't try it but my kid was licking the inside of the cup so I guess it's good

Picked up a large bag of strawberry covered pretzels which I have yet to open because I'm afraid they'll be gone in two days.

Tried the Kirkland biscotti instead of the usual square plastic tub of biscotti I get every once in a while. It's good, but the Kirkland isn't quite as crisp and I think I like the other one better.

I thought my kid would like Bare apple chips since he loves other freeze dried fruit but be warned, they're very crispy and he can have a tough time chewing through them. They also taste slightly overbaked.

The Kirkland fresh chicken breasts were not in their usual "pack of six pouches, 1-2 breasts per bag" - they were on a styrofoam tray in shrink wrap like you'd find at the supermarket. Same with the wings. Still picked up a pack but not sure what's going on with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

FistEnergy posted:

I forget the brand, but on my last trip I discovered these delicious chicken meatballs. I bought a jalapeno & cranberry version and a teriyaki & pineapple version and they were both air-fried perfection.

Those are definitely the Amylu brand - I got the jalapeno and cranberry version. They were good if a touch too sweet.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Rodney The Yam II posted:

Omfg the Kirkland tiramisu is loving delicious

My wife loved it but I didn’t care for it - found it to have a strange unpleasant boozy flavor and lo and behold it has rum or rum extract in it. Alcohol in desserts is all well and good but it was just too much for me in their tiramisu.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Renegret posted:

Got a giant Sheppard's pie for dinner so now we have food for about 3 days though, so that's nice.

Trip report? Saw it on our last trip, considered, but didn't pull the trigger.

Bought a laptop from Costco the other day and surprise surprise, it's $100 off as of yesterday. Did you know requesting a price adjustment is as easy as filling out a simple form on their website, and they credit you back the difference? PBUC.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Barry posted:

Which laptop?

This one.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

KakerMix posted:

Butter Cinnamon Sugar Loaves 3 Pack

I'm going to kill myself with these things

I was literally too afraid to pick up a pack of these on my last Costco trip.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

BadSamaritan posted:

Thinking of getting some window shades during the sale this month. I’d gotten the whole house measured by another company and was ready to have some installed back in March 2020, but uh that month got a bit crazy. I realized I still have a spreadsheet of all the measurements in their quote soooo…

Any suggestions between cordless cellular shades, wood blinds, and roman shades for living areas? We have toddlers.

I got them at Lowes, but we redid almost our entire upstairs with Levelor blinds. We went for the light-blocking ones in most rooms and they do an admirable job aside from some unavoidable minor bleed on the sides of the window. They are very easy to operate and extremely durable - the whole reason we went with them was because our previous rental home had them and they stood up to our toddler doing his best to destroy them.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I wish the 'Co stocked big tubs of full-fat yogurt, plain or Greek. The fat free kind just tastes sad.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Just had the second beef/sausage lasagna from the two-pack they come in, and didn't find it watery but definitely found it to be a bit of a grease bomb.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Made a trip this past weekend and picked up the cinnamon butter loaves. They are really good - polished one off over the course of three days.

Found these milk chocolate toffee nut clusters and they are extremely good.

Finally pulled the trigger on a bag of the cheese/caramel popcorn and as an avowed popcorn disliker, it's very good.

Got a pack (well, 2-pack) of frozen orange chicken but haven't tried it yet. We got a bag of mandarin chicken from Trader Joe's the other week which was really good and spurred this purchase - anyone tried it? Good? Not good?

My kid was throwing a big tantrum while we browsed so we grabbed a bag of the Siete grain-free churro strips to let him munch on something. Not a fan - they're certainly cinnamon-y enough, but the strips themselves are absolutely flavorless.

Also finally picked up a Nest so we could change the temperature upstairs so our kids don't freeze from the comfort of our bed or basement and it was a super easy install. The extra temp sensor is nice too so we can peg the thermostat to it in our younger son's room which is typically colder than the rest of the rooms, without overheating my older son's room.

Ended the trip with a dog for me and chicken bake for my wife and son. A Good Trip.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I got a big ol' pack of red "seedless" grapes from Costco on the last trip and they are the seediest, most unpleasant grapes I've ever eaten. I can't even give them to my kid for fear of him choking on them, and they're not really seeds you can just ignore and chew through. What a disappointment; usually, Costco grapes are S++.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

The ethical quandary of Costco:
I need cheesecake for two people.
Costco cheesecake (feeds 12) $10 - Grocery store cheesecake (feeds 2) $8.

Also takes up an entire fridge shelf.

Cheesecake freezes insanely well so that's an easy decision.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I have a Eufy 11S and basically agree with what everyone else is saying - you do need to do site preparation before running it and if you don't it will inevitably get stuck on a cord/curtain/whatever else. That said, it does quite a good job and I'm consistently impressed at how much dust, dirt, and debris I empty from the receptacle after it finishes a cycle. I also absolutely wouldn't pay $400 for a robovac based on all of the extenuating factors.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Ordered a 75" Samsung TV thanks to a deal they had for a "free" $100 wall mount and three years of Allstate protection. The TV got here yesterday but the mount doesn't get here until tomorrow, and it's gotta be wall mounted. First world problems, but PBUC.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

The Gerry lightweight pullover hooded sweatshirts are so amazingly comfortable. I ordered two more in colors I already have (well, they only have three available) just so I can wear them more often.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

PokeJoe posted:

when i go to costco i like to guess what my bill is going to be right before i check out. i don't do any mental math along the way and i impulse buy a lot of poo poo, then i stare at my haul and attempt to estimate the cost. i got my girlfriend to start guessing too, she beats me sometimes. today i was within $5.

I'm right there with you. My typical guess is usually around $600 and the total usually ends up being $800. :stare:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

BadSamaritan posted:

If u need postpartum/baby/toddler costco shopping recommendations, I got them 4u. No joke, the kirkland wipes are primo.

Amen to that. We ran out in between Costco trips and my wife bought some Huggies brand wipes and some just rip in half when you're pulling them out. Costco wipes have never let me down like that.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

iroc.dis posted:

I made a visit to Church on Friday right before lunch. Decent time to go although it was fairly full of old people holding conversations while standing in the center of aisles. Picked up a couple boxes of Systane eye drops for the wife, a huge container of the laundry detergent I like, a case of Bang energy drinks (because they didn't have the variety pack of Monster), and several bottles of Kirkland vodka. Not a bad way to spend $120

Just a word of warning, the Bang energy drinks have 300mg of caffeine each compared to the 140-160 of your typical Monster.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I got the Tisdale Fabric Sectional with Storage Ottoman in August of last year for ~$1500 out the door and it's a great couch.

lmao, just lmao at spending five to six times that.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

silicone thrills posted:

Also 5lbs of shredded mozz because I make a lot of pizza at home. gently caress eeeeyah

You absolute imbecile. You oaf. You do not make homemade pizza with pre-shredded cheese. The cellulose they coat the shreds in makes it terrible. You must atone for your sins and begin shredding your own cheese. The difference will be incredible.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Barry posted:

I'm the masochist that likes to take out the germ in the middle of the clove when making toum so I tend to just put a bunch of cloves between two bowls and shake the poo poo out of them instead of smashing with a knife, works pretty well.

Is that really necessary if the garlic is fresh and the germ isn't green?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Suburban Dad posted:

drat, something else to look for next time I'm at Costco.

Edit: saw the new mailer. Any experiences with the green works pro push mower? Thinking of going battery but never heard of this brand.

Might be better to ask the tools thread?

I've had the Greenworks 80V mower since 2018 and have since acquired the leaf blower and pole hedge trimmer. They are all awesome.

The mower is dead reliable, but be aware that if you are mowing particularly tall and/or wet grass, it's going to drain the battery much quicker than if you mow frequently and keep the grass shorter. I have two of the 2Ah batteries and can charge one while I'm mowing with the other which rarely leaves me with both batteries dead, aside from the aforementioned extra tall/wet grass. Even then, the batteries charge pretty quickly which is great.

Leaf blower and trimmer are also excellent.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Soul Dentist posted:

Yeah I just quickly checked the price against O'Reilly and the same CCA battery was literally twice as much as Costco. What did I think, someplace else would have a better deal?

Craig whispered, "My precious child, I love you and will never leave you
Never, ever, during your trials and testings.
When you saw only higher prices elsewhere,
It was then that I provided value for you."

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Two misfires I purchased from my last trip. The first is Miss Vickie's Spicy Dill Pickle potato chips. They definitely have dill pick flavor and plenty of sour, and are pleasantly spicy, but just do not have enough salt. It's all sour/heat. Not terribly pleasant.

The second was an enormous bag of organic seasoned croutons. I can't remember the brand off-hand, but they have an unpleasantly gritty texture and again, are not well-seasoned enough. It's like chewing on bland little sand cubes.

To make up for it I defrosted one of the cinnamon butter loaves I had in the freezer and have been eating that all week with a touch of whipped cream. It's real good.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Jingleheimer posted:

Those croutons are terrible. Until I tried them I didn't know croutons that were anything but delicious even existed.

Same, that's why I was so disappointed. I'm not a food returner but I don't know if I'll make it through the whole bag - would seem like a chore.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Paul MaudDib posted:

The new bag of Bouchard Belgian dark chocolates was either a really good or really bad decision. Guess im gonna casually munch a half pound of individually wrapped chocolates today

Really good. Those are one of my favorite chocolates out there. I wish they weren't individually wrapped, but c'est la vie.

Plus you can have six of them and it's only like 140 calories or something. Thanks, dark chocolate!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

FilthyImp posted:

If you cut that coarsely into chunks, add enough water to just cover, add some spices and boil for like 4 hours you get delicious crispy pork Spanish style.

noooooooooooooo do not boil pork tenderloin of all things for 4 hours, it will turn into leather

use something fatty with lots of connective tissue, like pork shoulder or country style ribs

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I sure do love when "just the essentials" Costco trips turn into $800, two-cart ventures.

Got a big bag of fried jalapenos for salad topping or whatever. They have a nice slow building heat but need salt as they are pretty bland on their own.

Happily, Caribbean Food Delights Jamaican beef patties were back in stock so I got a box of them. No other beef patty compares.

To keep my small children occupied while we shopped, my wife gave them a little kids' book that played Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. They promptly destroyed it, literally tearing it in half. When we tried to pay for it at the register, the checker said "We're a billion dollar company. Go get another one". PBUC.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

The Chad Jihad posted:

Say I just wanted protein, what would be some good things to consider that arent just the giant bags of jerky that are also turning me into jerky

The carton(s) of liquid egg whites. Basically pure protein, you can add a little cheese to jazz it up in an omelet or on a sandwich or something or just cook and it eat straight. It's about as close to pure protein as you can get.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I've done full Costco front wiper replacements on both my car and my wife's car and have had no issues whatsoever. YMMV.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

schreibs posted:

I bought the frozen chicken breasts and forgot they switched over to no longer being individually wrapped. After 9 zip lock bags later I used more plastic than if they just were individually wrapped. Good job!

Out of curiosity, why did you need to repackage them into other bags?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Zombie Dachshund posted:

No fixing required: a great big bottle of Bachan Japanese BBQ sauce. My kids love it (possibly because it’s like 30% sugar) and I’ve been putting it on everything.

This stuff is awesome. We've been making rice bowls with cucumber, furikake, green onion, broccoli, and either salmon or panko-breaded chicken topped with this sauce and some sriracha. It's super delicious.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

That Little Giant ladder is absolutely worth it even at full price. It's amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Thin mint almonds >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> thin mint pretzels imo.