Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Do you guys know of any decent frozen chicken or fish or stuff like that that won't turn out dry and dead after cooking?

The panko-crusted chx breasts are whole meat and cook up nicely. I make a batch of sauce while they cook, then top them with a little sauce and some shredded cheese in the last couple minutes. Serve with pasta. Since I'm cooking for a family, I'll make a half-dozen and prep "leftover" lunch containers, but you could just as easily cook up just one or two.

I assume every Costco carries the Ultimate Fish Stick. I keep them around for panic Taco Tuesdays; some crunchy fish, a little slaw, squirt of lime. They don't reheat, but you can just grab 3-4 and toss them in the oven.

The Kirkland Salmon Burgers (they might be from Trident, too) aren't fishy at all. Make some chipotle mayo or top with some avocado (as well as something crunchy).

Lastly, even if you're cooking for one: it's just as easy to bake two chickens as it is to cook one. Costco sells them in two packs. Season 'em and toss them in a v-rack side-by-side. Eat whatever you want from the first chicken, then have a chicken-pulling party and freeze the rest in small packs for soup, chicken pot pies, bbq pulled chicken, whatever. Make a half-day of it by cooking the bones for stock and bagging it; that stuff lasts for like a year in the freezer. Conversely, just buy the Kirkland rotisserie chicken that comes in like 3-lb. bags and break it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
I make a drat fine meatloaf, thank you very much, but last week I really didn't want to cook on Thanksgiving Eve Eve, so I made a trip to the Co for some meatloaf as mentioned in this thread. $13.99 gets you two softball-sized meatloaves (meatsloaf?) and a heap of mashed taters. It was great! A little dense, maybe even sausage-y, but good. Fed 3 at dinner with plenty of leftovers for sandwiches.

Also got like a 48 pack of frozen spanakopita, and they're great! Packaged in 12 individually sealed packs, so you can break down the big box and stack them if your freezer is running low on horizontal space.

Still looking for the Naanwich and French onion pucks, neither of which seem to have made it to my local chapter. PBUC!

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Renegret posted:

Everyone gives their roombas a name.

Ours is Nono, named by the kid when she was a toddler. When the Roomba would make the startup noise, she'd run from it shouting, "no no no nononono!!" She's a real Ship of Theseus; I think the only original parts are the shell and the wheels.

Bless me, thread for I have sinned. I started taking PBUC gummy melatonin supplements before bed a while back when I was dealing with some insomnia. I'm not sure how much I "believe" in the powers of melatonin, but I think the ritual of popping a couple gummies before bed probably helps get me in "going to bed" mode. Costco sold them in a giant, 200+ bottle, but they've since restocked with the same dose, only in pill form. I had to order some from Amazon. When they run out, maybe I'll just switch to gummy bears or something.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

13Pandora13 posted:

Don't want to internet-doc too much on this but please talk to your doctor about a sleep study.

Thanks to all of you for your concern! I’ve had a bunch of people tell me vastly different information about melatonin at this point. The insomnia is managed, I really think I just like the blackberry gummy before bed.

I’ll switch to a nightly $1.50 all beef hot dog and a soda (with refill). PBUC.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Pinecone Sample posted:

You can get a dose of a natural source of melatonin by eating a few pistachios. Just buy the bag of shelled pistachios at Costco rather than who knows what is in a bottle of supplements.

Oh man, those shelled pistachios are banned from the house. With regular pistachios, the effort to crack 'em open at least leaves a slight pause between each nut, and eventually your fingers get tired... with the shelled ones, you might as well roll up a $20, dump the sack on the counter and inhale the whole thing.

Speaking of addictive Costco products, I don't think I've seen anyone mention the G.H. Cretor's Chicago Mix popcorn. I think I have the name right; cheesy popcorn and caramel popcorn in the same enormous bag. Great salty/sweet balance, and perfect TV food.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
I really like Costco's Trail socks, even if they change the style slightly from time to time. They're $18 for a six pack this year, it seems. I'm pretty sure I was buying them in 4-packs before.

72% merino wool is crazy compared to a similar product from Cabela's, which is only 20%. REI has a similar (in construction) sock for $20/pair; I got some for Christmas one year but I rarely wear them.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

GI_Clutch posted:

Just one gallon? That's not much of a deal. It's only $1.29 for a gallon at Meijer.

Also, just one gallon? You gotta buy two gallons here, which is about a gallon more than we ever need at once.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
Went to the 'Co today and it was pleasant and friendly! That's a far cry from the one time I went pre-Thanksgiving and people were losing their minds before they even picked up a cart.

Got a nice plaid(!) sherpa blanket for a friend, and one of those Pendleton wool jackets for the missus. She's got a peacoat, but this looks sharp and is just a little lighter. They had them in red, but only in small, which is a little too small. Plenty of the cheaper of the mounted hams in the back. Oh, got a little 5lb. carvery ham, too. They're just the right size, and I think they turn out better than the spiral sliced ones I'd bought for years.

The thread keeps talking about this Bitchin' sauce, but I've yet to find it (Oregon). I assume it's cold, and kept somewhere around the guac and hummus.

Did not partake in communion; I made a London broil last night and had thinly sliced leftovers piled on some sourdough waiting for me at home.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

When I hit the Costco in Ground Zero (Washington County, OR), they had a 2-item max for TP, water, and rice. I'm sure they would have had restrictions on paper towels and hand sanitizer if they had any. There was basically a line in the TP section where people loaded up on either Kirkland or Marathon (I'm assuming that's the super cheap single-ply stuff?) while a couple employees brought in new pallets and kind of bucket-brigaded them up to the customer area.

Wound up getting one of their carvery hams. They're a pretty good price for a lot of meat (to take). Combine the leftovers with the $5/dozen croissants and you've got lovely breakfasts for days.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

I have 2 boxes of those that I never used and they're expired now. However, since they're packaged very well I'm probably going to try it soon anyway.

My teenager loves these. Make some Kirkland basmati rice; simmer some of that tikka masala sauce they have in the cold section and add some rotisserie chicken.

Spoon chicken tikka over rice, add a couple spoonfuls of the lentils to one side. Serve with stonefree naan, available in the cold section as well. Dinner for four and maybe two lunches.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Washout posted:

Those red packaged spiral cut hams are amazing and insane cheap, the only problem is that it's too much meat and I'm not prepared.

I don't know how they're priced, but the smaller "carvery" hams are just about perfect. They warm up fast without drying out. Carving is a breeze on account they lay flat and don't have a bone. Feeds a hungry 4 for dinner, with maybe 2 days worth of ham sammiches and some diced ham in your eggs.

Oh, and they taste great. Sometimes I make a brown sugar and mustard glaze, but you really don't need one.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Bioshuffle posted:

I just got a frozen whole chicken. I normally buy them thawed and cut it up into pieces to store in the freezer.

What's the best way to handle this frozen chunk of chicken? I suppose you can't thaw it out, cut it up and refreeze it?

I'd thaw it out for a couple days in the fridge then roast it. Pick it clean, chunk it up, and freeze the leftovers for quick tacos or enchiladas. Boil them bones and make some stock; we've been burning through our frozen chicken stock like gangbusters in this trying time.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

binge crotching posted:

Yeah, it used to be $13 or $15, something like that. I need a bottle, and I keep hoping to see it less expensive every time but it's still a lot.

They had a GIANT $25 bottle last time I was there. I talked myself out of it, only to find out later we were out. Five bucks gets you a mouse fart’s worth of the stuff in the grocery store :(

gently caress it, I’ll just use spiced rum in all my scones.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
I found a couple rolls of Costco paper towels in the garage! Such a joyous discovery after a month or so of some rando store brand I happened to find back in March.

Last time I was at church, I picked up a big pack of boneless, skinless chx thighs. Normally I just grab a value pack from the grocery store and use 'em fresh, but I figured what with -- *gestures broadly* -- it might be a good idea to have some in the freezer. Thawed some out in the fridge yesterday; gonna make some mojo chicken tacos tonight. Woo!

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
Hit church in the Oregon parish the other day. The parking lot was busy but not the typical insane asylum it usually is on a Friday, which gave me hope. I noticed there wasn't a line waiting to head in, and it turns out they were pretty much letting everyone in at once. Inside it was a socially distanced cluster. Lots of masks on chins. Old guy got right up in my business to tell me all about the wonders of the Philips toothbrush heads I was considering. Busy intersections and aisles were full of people.

They had a decent amount of pork products; I saw a bunch of ribs, shoulders, and chops. They had those giant packs of fresh ground beef, too. None of those 5-packs of 1-pound ground beef "chubs" I sometimes get. Some chicken breasts, but no thighs. No crunchy peanut butter.

Got those melona bars and they're kind of amazing!

My wife texted while I was there: grab wipes and hand sanitizer, we're running low. Had a good laugh at that.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
Haven't seen it in Oregon, but I've only been to church 2-3 times this year on account of... everything.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Chinatown posted:

on a spoon into a cup of chocolate jello pudding

imho

In our house, peanut butter on a spoon eaten as a snack is a Peanut Butter Lollipop, and a spoon with part pb and part Nutella is a Willy Wonka. Not sure of the origin story on that last one; it just is.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
I really enjoy my bedtime chewable vitamins, even as a full grown adult. They were out of the usual brand, so I got the Kirkland ones on sale for like $8.

They’re gross. I do not look forward to my bedtime gummy vitamins any more. Not one bit.

Granted, it’s only been two days. Maybe I just got bad flavors, but I don’t recall flavor being a problem with the vitamax or whatever they were.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
I’m hoping it’s not so much a bad flavor as much as it’s a different flavor. Last night’s seemed okay. Maybe I just fear change.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Enos Cabell posted:

Do they ever have those in women sizes? I love mine, but my wife has tiny feet and I think even the small mens would be too big for her.

Women get the Kirkland Merino Trail Sock. I think they come in a 4-pack. They're usually very colorful. My wife likes hers, but not the same way I like mine; I wear mine pretty much daily, year round.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I think I'm gonna pop open that bag of shrimp chips tonight. Maybe a drink a beer.

I'm the only one in my house who will eat them, which means they're always in the cupboard, waiting for me. Bless you, shrimp chips.

[edit] Our Costco had Korean fried fish skins (pollock) in a big bag. They were strangely sweet and not at all my bag.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
Kirkland changed their Raisin Bran provider so many times and I got burnt so many times I think I have Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

For a while I think they had Kirkland brand, and it had these fat, crunchy flakes and was insanely packed with raisins. Then they switched to only carrying Post, and it was crap, but then it wasn't? Then they had Kellogg's and those are paper thin flakes and sugar covered raisins. I think whatever they carry now is a weak-rear end flake and tons of raisins, but I want flakes that are so crunchy I can't hear myself think AND four goddamn scoops of raisins in every bite, like in the old days!

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Hed posted:

They had the mushroom chips on sample today and thank god, this is exactly the kind of thing I am too scared to buy a big bag of.

Conclusion: would not buy but the next 24 hours of fungus burps might be worth it!

I brought a bag of them -- brand name Shrooms, maybe -- camping last year, and a little really does go a long way. The salmon jerky, on the other hand, was a huge hit with the dads on the trip which meant, much like with shrimp chips, there was always salmon jerky when we wanted it ;)

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Minto Took posted:

Nah, the salami and cheese were in separate compartments. Sliced salami and cubed white cheese.

You're dead on with the "cubed white" cheese. I don't remember what kind of cheese they claimed to be, but it was bland as all hell. The packs that have the little round provolone-looking slices are ***okay***. I'd take them over the cubes, but it's not like a major upgrade.

When we had game nights in the Before, I'd sometimes get those little prosciutto-wrapped mozzarella tubes and eat entirely too many. I might be the only one eating them.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
It's super dangerous. They're giant ravioli in a sauce and cheese that are very mild and you won't notice how many you eat until it's too late.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
Street tacos are surprisingly good. The meatloaf is actually great (hard to mess up), but we warned: the mashed taters seem like they are so full of butter and/or other dairy products that each spoonful is like a day's worth of calories.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

ShowTime posted:

Anyone have any experience with the Lovesac that Costco sometimes has as a special event? It's back on until 9/13. I've been looking for a decent option for reading/lounging and they seem like a fun choice. I'm 6'4", do you think it will be comfortable for someone my height?

I'm 6'3" and we actually have a couple of them. Bought a gigantic one back in like 2003 or something, and got a slightly smaller one when we bought our couch through them earlier this year.

The giga-sac isn't in their catalog anymore. It's got a corduroy cover and can seat two adults who are intimately familiar with one another, or like 5 small children. It gets warm fast, due to the corduroy and I think the memory foam absorbing heat. It's not good for sleeping, as you settle over the hours and you wake up with your hip bone on the floor and covered in sweat. For lounging around fiddling with a phone or reading a book, it's great.

The other one is a CitySac. It has a faux-fur cover and springier foam. It doesn't get too warm somehow. I like to not so much sit on it as kind of sprawl across it while playing sudoku or whatever. My daughter is 5'4" and regularly spends a couple hours in it reading or playing video games.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

ShowTime posted:

So the one you have is what they call "theBigOne" on their website? The LoveSac website lists sizes in some marketing bullshit which makes it hard to determine which one corresponds on the Costco website. It looks like Costco is selling the 3 smallest sizes, with the biggest one only available on their website. I was gonna buy the large, which is 5' wide and 3.1" high. The only one bigger than that is the one not available anywhere but their website, which is 6' wide instead.

The cord one is TheBigOne or maybe bigger. Like I said, it’s ancient. We must have picked it up 2001-2003.

The new one we have with faux fur is the CitySac. It’s big without being obnoxiously big. It’s oddly pleasant to pet and even a big person can sprawl across it in comfort. You won’t be curling up in the fetal position like it’s a big furry nest or anything, but it’s perfectly functional as a chair.

One warning: you slowly go from “this is nice, I could stay here all day” to “this is nice, I can’t get up without assistance. I suppose this is my life now.” Exiting a LoveSac is an exercise in humility. Nobody does it with grace.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
I confess, I have an... upright freezer.

We used to have a coffin freezer, a hand-me-down from the Johnson administration. It died one day and took most of a half-a-cow with it. I popped it open to toss some Costco stuff in there, and as the lid closed I got a whiff of the pepperoni sticks I had on the top. "Ooooh, pepperoni" had just started to go through my mind when I managed to remember you really shouldn't smell fresh meats in the freezer. Everything was room temperature. When it came to replacing it, all we could find were uprights.

Top shelf is full of turkey stock. A thanksgiving tradition. Various stews, chilis, and occasionally some Green Bay Booyah winds up there, too.

Mid shelves are weird frozen things. Panko-crusted chicken breasts, World's Greatest Fish Sticks, Pizza Rolls, frozen pastas, and flautas/taquitos. Ice cream treats, too. We also get a ton of sliced bread and bagels from [somewhere not Costco] and freeze 'em. My highly trained palate can't tell the difference.

Lower shelves have a bunch of 1lb. chubs of ground beef, 2-3 lb. packs of chicken thighs, some of those Costco rotisserie chicken packs, and an inordinate amount of ground pork for some reason. I usually keep a couple bone-in turkey breasts in there, too. Back in late March we had Plaguesgiving with all the trimmings and that was kind of fun, for a minute.

Door is Costco butter, Costco blueberries and smoothie mixes, and a bunch of those Capri-Sun looking things that are actually frozen adult beverages. Got them on clearance somewhere and we're slowly working through them.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
I dated a girl from the philly suburbs who was all “real Philadelphians eat tomato pie.” We don’t, especially if you want a pizza and somebody hands you a slice of friggin’ tomato pie. I mean, you’re gonna be disappointed.

It is true, however, that a “real” Philadelphian would eat a cheesesteak every day if they could. Maybe twice a day.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
I use the Kirkland wipes pretty regularly for non-COVID related cleanups, like for cleaning up after cutting lots of raw chicken, or for grease splatters. We keep packs in the kitchen and bathroom for "quick" cleanup.

I think we were indoctrinated into Wipe Culture by Costco when we had a kid. Like, every action resulted in a baby wipe back then, and I think we had a pack in every room and in the car. It was like bringing up a teeny, tiny Adrian Monk there for a while.

$1.50 dog and soda (with refill) shall be the whole of the law

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

PokeJoe posted:

I have the opposite rec, I got the king one because my other one was smaller and it was annoying having to rotate it to find a way for it to cover me comfortably. Now I just get under it and it's always big enough no matter the orientation.

A friend of mine took one of the big ones and folded it over so that it formed a fairly spacious "foot pocket" on the bottom, then sewed it in. Your feet naturally seek out the pocket and its 365 degrees of sherpa warmth.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

FORUMS USER 1135 posted:

I foolishly bought two large rolls of cling wrap in 2012 or 2013 as a single man. I am still using the first one. The large roll of tin foil I bought at the same time only ran out this year.

We were about four years into our cling wrap when I dropped the box and the little plastic cling film slicer attachment came out. Had no idea it was even in there, despite clear indications all over the box. I use it all the time now!

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
The Costco $20 Flu Shot and Hot Dog Water (with refill).

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Renegret posted:

Okay totally unrelated to Costco but because of covid WFH and no boss looking over my shoulder, I spend a lot of time watching YouTube at work. Specifically cooking shows. Bon Appetit treats pasta water as the holy grail of cooking and anyways make use of it and it's something that stuck with me.

One day I was boiling some hot dogs and randomly thought the dumping the hot dog water was such a waste because of all the flavor in there and unironically starting thinking about what I can use it for. It took longer than I'd like to admit to come to my senses and realize how gross that was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0E0ynyIUsg
more hot dog than water

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Enos Cabell posted:

They still do at my store, although it might not be $20 I haven't checked the prices.

They sell it here in the summer sometimes, but now they are half-liter bottles. If you’re not paying attention and buying them for a cookout to hand to little kids, it becomes a problem because all that caffeine and sugar makes their little minds explode.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
Anybody know how long those raspberry crumble cookies are good f— hahahaha oh my god we ate all of them.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
The Kirkland Merino Wool Socks are here! The Kirkland Merino Wool Socks are here!

Just one color this year, charcoal. I think the six pack was 18.99. It sounds pricey, but a bunch of places sell a similar sock for twelve bucks a pair.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

I got some maybe 1 month ago. The only color they had was blue. I'd have preferred the charcoal.

In the interest of fairness, I'm more than a little colorblind. Lots of things look "kind of grey" to me, but the website says one color: charcoal. The ones I'm wearing now came in a pack with blue and kind of grey, and I can tell the difference in direct sunlight. I like the blue ones, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Gatts posted:

This is a conversation for another thread but I do not think poaching steak is acceptable or good.

A friend of mine is kind of a dutch oven superstar. He catered a wedding a while back where he poached ribs in cream (an old family recipe) in like 15 dutch ovens, stacked one atop the other with coals on the lids. He made the same thing (using only one dutch oven) for us once, and the ribs were good, but not like life-changing or anything. I think the recipe/tradition comes from like chuck wagon days, where you might have had plenty of time, meat and milk, but maybe not so much in the spice department.