Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
On my last trip, bought a 24 pack of little hand sanitizer bottles. They have aloe in them. The aloe makes your hands sticky after using it. Sticky is the opposite of how I want to feel after sanitizing my hands. I regret this Costco purchase. Thank you for your time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Overdrift posted:

Bought the Costco mushroom chips I've been eyeing for months every time I'm at the 'co. They taste like dry ramen noodles but in mushroom shapes. I'm not really sure what I was expecting but disappointment is what I'm feeling now.

They look like mushrooms covered in sand.

My wife "likes" (I think she's just being nice) the aloe-filled hand sanitizer, so we swapped and now I have Champagne Toast in my car again. It's from Bath & Body Works, I think. It smells like neither Champagne nor Toast, and has like confetti in it, but it sanitizes without being sticky. It also smells like the inside of my nana's purse, but I'll take it.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
I'm a huge fan of the Kirkland Carvery Hams. They're boneless, 3lb. hunks of ham that warm up in like 40 minutes. Glaze it if you want (or offer a nice sauce on the side), but they are fantastic plain. Effortless to carve, since they're so thin. You get these long, thin slices that are perfect for sandwiches later.

Tonight, I carved about half the ham, which is enough for a family of 3 for dinner, plus leftovers, plus the slices I will probably eat out of the fridge due to my crippling ham addiction. Gonna cube the other half for something soupy. I'm pretty sure I paid :10bux: for the thing. What a bargain!

The menu tonight: HAM, smashed red taters with sharp cheddar and super rustic mustard mixed in, peas. The plan was to have some brioche buns, but I think my yeast was on its last legs, the dough took *forever*. Oh well, cinnamon buns in the morning!

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

err posted:

anyone get these? they are so loving good.

or

We tried the gnocchi last week. Surprisingly rich! That cheese sauce packs some flavor. I keep meaning to make my own gnocchi, but I never get around to it.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

shadow puppet of a posted:

A whole pizza is six slices...

You know what must be done. And in a single sitting.

I must confess I've never ordered a full-size Costco pizza. I've had the slices, and I've made the mistake of picking up the take-and-bake twice. What's the turn-around time from ordering to when it's ready? Like, do you need to call ahead? Way ahead? Order it and do some shopping? Or do you do some shopping, order the pie, and a machine 3d prints one into the box in minutes?

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Washout posted:

I make my own kimchi every 6 months and make 60lbs at a time because I have digestive problems and kimchi seems to be the only thing that really helps.

Human bodies are amazing. My wife has digestive problems and the three main culprits are cabbage, spicy foods, and preserved veggies.

Just realized I haven't cashed in my savings thing on account of *gestures broadly*. Gonna wake up early and get a good spot in line at the return counter!

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Remulak posted:

Disagree with a lot of the thread:
1- kimchi is ok but so bland.
2- shoyo ramen , ok with egg but I can’t seem to make it in microwave without getting the noodles way too soft.
3-Korean style frozen dumplings in a bag, not bad but the same brand as Kroger without a big price difference.
4-fresh sweet Italian sausages so loving bland. Don’t remember the brand, they made me pine for the aggressive flavor profile of loving Wisconsin’s Jonsonville.
5-box of trayed individual 6pc dumpling servings- above average and extra plastic waste makes them work well in microwave.
6- polar seltzer- same as any other brand and dirt cheap a+++ will buy again. Last case had some leaky half-empty cans so I will prolly bring back case upc to get a refund.
7- honeycrisp apples, asparagus, peaches, gently caress yes. Always perfect.

Hmmm, maybe I’ll take the rest of the crappy sausages out of the freezer and return those with the seltzer upc.

Finally, gently caress COVID food court. No combo, or even special order veggie or sausage pizza, only yellow mustard and CATSUP for dogs? Garbage. Utter loving bullshit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xOxXmyPD0I

WE DON'T SPEAK ILL OF COSTCO

I've had one or two bad apples from Costco and it made me immensely sad. And the honeycrisps are too big. There, I said it. The honeycrisp apples are too goddamn big.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
https://www.amazon.com/Calphalon-Piece-Classic-Nonstick-Grey/dp/B01APP1X2I/

I've bought this set twice. Sure they're non-stick and all that, but the handles are the best part: well balanced, feel good, and are all metal. Oven safe to 450, though I'd never go that high myself. I have a glass lid from an old Costco pan that fits the 12" perfectly.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

ROJO posted:

Yeah what the hell is wrong with half this thread? Do you use belt-sanders to scrub your pans?

In my case my wife took over putting away dishes and in some premature optimization she started stacking the non-stick, placing the smaller one in the larger one... and putting a metal steamer in the smaller one. They got scratched to poo poo, but it wasn't the non-stickiness that concerned me, it was the spots where I could clearly see the non-stick was flaking off. It's probably too late for me; I'm already dead. My insides are now non-stick.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
It was September 30 yesterday, so of course all the Christmas stuff was on display. No more dueling banjo skeletons.

Got a flu shot in a tiny room with a giant air purifier and two chairs, labeled "MY SEAT" and "YOUR SEAT" in black marker on white scrap paper. I jokingly said to myself, "hope I don't choose the wrong seat," but after a couple seconds I managed to convince myself there was no correct answer. I stood until the pharmacist came in and motioned to one of the chairs. I won't say which one.

They had the German beer advent calendar, so I picked one up for a friend. They only had like 4 of them left, and I seem to recall hearing it was a pretty good selection. Noticed there seems to be a *much* larger focus on asian food/snacks of late. We have a mini asian foods aisle now, behind the jerky. Salted egg fish skins, egg yolk cookies, shrimp chips, tempura squid snacks... all in one place! Got some shrimp chips for myself (13.5% shrimp!) to put in the "snacks always available for me because nobody else in the house will touch them" cabinet.

My daughter loves the tamales in the fridge section. To her, they're a fantastic breakfast OR lunch food. They're smaller than a frozen burrito and arguably better for you, too. In another time we'd pick up a bunch of them from the tamale lady at the farmer's market, but... global pandemic and all.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
Passed on the Stroopwafels and went with the super cheap, $4 box of Biscoff cookies. Funny, I think of both of them as "plane food." My daughter wants to make Biscoff cookie cheesecake, and I keep telling her how bad an idea that is when we have no company to share with. Does cheesecake freeze well?

Also, there's a thing called Biscoff Cookie Butter. We bought it on a whim at some International Store thinking it was some sort of topping *for* Biscoff cookies. Honestly. It sat unopened in our pantry for a few months, then we realized it's actually 'butter' as in peanut butter, only made from the crumbs of Biscoff cookies. So weird. Wasn't sure what to put it on, so we pretty much ate it from the jar. A little goes a long way, so even a tiny jar lasted well over a year.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Waterbed Wendy posted:

It's almost made to be frozen

Now that you mention it, I remember when I was a kid a neighbor used to go to NYC sometimes (from Phila.), and she'd bring back a frozen cheesecake from some famous(?) cheesecake place. I'll give the kid the okay once I manage to wrangle up several pounds of cream cheese.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

FilthyImp posted:

Pork belly seems too fatty for me for instapho/Ramen.

But if you were to slow cook the broth with the pork in it...

You could also give it a good char in a pan to give it more texture.

The ramen shop I used to go to in the Before boiled their pork belly in their soup stock for 5+ hours, then cooked it in a different sauce. I'm pretty sure they put it in the fridge before slicing, because the slice or two that came in their ramen melted like butter.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
Last time I was there, they had these little soft pretzel balls at the end of the bread aisle. I didn't get them because I could see them getting polished off in traffic on the short, 2.5 mile trip home. They're in like a little plastic salad bowl with a clear film cover.

Our road trips get Kirkland trail mix 100% of the time, and usually some jerky. The one thing we pick up on the road are Combos. As far as I'm concerned, they only sell Combos along interstate highways.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

poisonpill posted:

But not tall. They may have clothes that go wide, but they’ll never have large socks, long pants, etc.

I've noticed they sometimes have tall stuff online. Haven't ordered any yet. I can try on a 3XL flannel over my hoodie and have room to grow, but the shirt tails practically end at my navel.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
I like peeling garlic. It's almost always the first thing I do when starting to cook. It kind of sets the mood; puts me in cook mode. If I'm not making a dressing or something, I just smash the fuckers with the flat of my knife, pick out the good bits, and put them in a little pinch pot so I can add them after the onions are done. Mise in place!

Rainy season is upon us, and our cars are woefully in need of new wipers. People were crowded around the Costco display the last two times I was there, so I took a peek online. Cheesum Crow they want a lot of money for windshield wipers! $16 for a single RainX. I checked the Costco site, and the usual Michelin ones are six bucks a blade (with coupon). PBUC!

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

david_a posted:

All wipers have a shelf life; the rubber degrades from being outside and exposed to sunlight. Consumer Reports stopped reviewing wiper blades because they didn’t see a meaningful difference between brands in the first six months and that’s when you should replace them anyway.

I've never really seen a difference between blades, other than that new blade feel when you change them. It will be overwhelmingly damp in Oregon between now and, say, June... but stormy weather is mostly reserved for the coast; our wipers rarely go beyond the first intermittent setting.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
Which chair did you get? My wife has our "good" chair, a 20-year-old Herman Miller Aeron. My kid has our backup office chair. I have a chair from the dining room table. I'd like to upgrade the kid to something better.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

BaconCopter posted:

It's a knock-off of the Aeron! It's a Bayside by Whalen Office Mesh Chair.

E: I've used the real things before while in college and they were definitely better quality and maybe slightly comfier, but for a tenth of the price I'm pretty darn happy with what I got.

^^^ yup that one

Thanks! Glad to hear you're happy! I got my Aeron with one of my first Dotcom paychecks. Oh, the days of working at a place where a Nintendo PlayChoice 10 and slot car tournaments were selling points. While I definitely got my money's worth, sometimes you just gotta get a $100 chair.

Gonna swing by the 'Co tonight for wiper blades, dinner, and maybe a chair!

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

FCKGW posted:

I bought a used Herman Miller because they're invincible but then the seat pan wore out and the back seat cracked and the replacement parts ended up being more than the cost of a replacement chair so I just chucked it.

My gas cylinder gave out in like 2011. I called to get the number of a local place that'd fix it and they're like "there's a 12 year warranty, and the cylinder is covered." They offered to ship me a loaner chair -- a LOANER CHAIR -- for the week mine was in the shop.

My wheels disintegrated a couple years back, but I got some roller blade replacements off Amazon for super cheap. The lumbar thing finally gave out this year. It probably would have had another ten years in it if my wife hadn't adjusted it ;)

I just checked, and the giant office liquidator warehouse downtown has a billion Aerons for sale starting at $200. Might have to take a trip down there.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Pennywise the Frown posted:

When I got my house I bought a Char-Broil though because those are half the cost. It works just fine, but it's no Weber.

Same. Bought one in 2006 and used it up until a couple years ago when I swapped out for a 22" Weber charcoal for some reason that probably sounded good at the time. Everything I do with the Weber is amazing, but I miss the gas convenience of 3-minute hot dogs.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
Our Costco has been carrying these sausages for a while: https://kiolbassa.com. They're really good. I fried some up with some pierogi a couple weeks ago. We had a couple sausages left over, so I diced 'em up and put them in the leftover chili I was about to freeze. Thawed that stuff out today, but before warming it up, I quick sautéed some leftover turkey breast in butter and Chili powder.

4 meat chili, corn bread, and a baked potato. It's gonna drop to 30 overnight. Come at me, winter! I'm ready for you!!

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
"Get out of the house, Miss Atkins! The carbs are coming from inside the house!"

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
I'm slowly working my way through this bag of Shrimp Chips. It's way bigger than I remember it being, and a serving size is 40 chips. That's a lot of chips, even when they are mostly air. They're vaguely sweet, like many Korean snacks seem to be, and they're full of butter and garlic and shrimp (13.5% shrimp!). I'm just hoping they don't go stale.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

LadyPictureShow posted:

Not a purchase from Costco, but we were at Target today, and they had Bitchin Sauce.

"We gotta try it; everybody in the Costco thread says it's great!"

We only got a tub of original, but dang I can see why you guys were talking it up so much. Still hopeful our 'co starts carrying it.

PBUTT!

We got a big tub of the chipotle stuff at Costco. It had a cool texture and a nice spiciness that burnt coming and going. I ate too much, but then again it made me eat a ton of carrots and celery so maybe it’s a wash. I’d love to try the other flavors some day.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

The North Tower posted:

Thermal control feet, but agreed. Best sleep.

In our house it's "monster bait." Anybody got anything nice to say about the down comforters Costco carries? We've had our queen-sized one FOREVER, and my wife has hinted more than once that it sure would be nice if we had a king-size down comforter to go on our queen-size bed. You know, for the overhang.

I'd go for one of these, but I really don't have $16k to spend, and I think you have to pick them up in person, which might prove difficult: https://www.architecturaldigest.com/story/most-expensive-eider-down-comforter

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

SirPablo posted:

Looking forward to monkey chips.

13.5% primate!

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Gaius Marius posted:

Just put it in an air fryer you sick fucks.

Put a couple wauggy steaks in an instant pot. Add a can of cream of mushroom soup and a jar of salsa (sounds weird I know). Pressure cook for 30 minutes, natural release.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

number 1 snake fan posted:

"Wagyu ground beef" is a sin, wtf

Crunchy Asian Sports Dip

1 lb. wagyu ground beef
15 oz. Rotel diced tomatoes
8 oz. (1 package) Philadelphia cream cheese
La Choy Crunchy noodles
Hoisin sauce

Brown the beef for 15-20 minutes, or until it's bone dry, draining any and all fat. Add tomatoes and cream cheese and combine. Transfer to serving dish, top with crunchy noodles and Hoisin sauce.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Renegret posted:

Don't forget the ad right smack dab in the middle of the ingredient list

When Jeffrey of YOSPOS puts the recipe on the front page, I'll ask him to put several PRINT RECIPE buttons throughout the back-story about how I was a blue collar city boy who was whisked off his feet to rural Wyoming by his rancher wife and learned not only how to make the food of the people there, but that I loved to make their food. The buttons will be mostly non-functional, but will sometimes display a pop-up with a 1" viewing window containing the first lines of the recipe.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure we got our little Vornado space heater from the 'Co. It looks like any little Vornado but with a heating element in the front. Does a fantastic job of heating a small-to-medium sized room while sucking all of the moisture out of the air and your sinuses.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
We compost at the home level (we have a compost thing) and at the municipal level. The latter will take pizza boxes, takeout boxes, and lawn debris. We have a garbage disposal because it came with the place.

I've noticed everywhere I've lived without a insinkerator has had such delicate plumbing that a shelled pea slipping by the strainer resulted in black water shooting up from all the toilets in the house.

On the topic of space heaters, my kid took over my basement office for plague-school. I swear the house's foundation can reach up through the padding and carpet and just leeches the warmth straight from your feet in that room. She's got Kirkland wool socks on, one of those sherpa wizard robes from the 'Co, and a blanket... but the little vornado heater helps take the chill off at 8:30 in the morning.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
Cats make my eyes swell closed and make everything else itchy, but I can still appreciate them from afar. These are nice fluffy cats that deserve the best. PBUC.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

FogHelmut posted:

Anyone get their flu shot at Costco?

Yep. Got to choose from an injection or inhaler, at least on paper. Went with the needle. 100ccs of hot dog water, with refill.

It wasn't terribly organized. Signed up, got told to come back in maybe 15. Came back, stood around for another 10, got to stand there and watch a dude fill out forms and staple them together for 5 minutes straight, then sat in a tiny room until someone came to stab me.

I've done the 'Co in years past and you just stood in line for the jab, so you could clearly tell how long it would take, but obviously that's not an option now. I think next year I'll probably head back to the medical center nearby. They scan your card, ask a question or two, and point you towards the lab. Bing, bang boom.

[edit] ^^^^ I forgot about scheduling online! I only saw the poster for it after we'd been standing there for a while. In hindsight, things would have gone smoother if I'd known about online scheduling.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Shredder posted:

I went to church yesterday, and this poo poo is loving amazing and I might need to buy 10 more

Oh no.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
We stopped buying the spiral hams and now go with the carvery hams. They appear to be made from just one muscle, instead of several around the bone. Absolutely perfect size for the 3 of us plus a guest or two, with leftovers. Warms up in no time, giving you plenty of time to work on an awesome glaze. I've done mustard glazes, soda-based glazes and even a sour cherry glaze, but we're all just as content to just toss that thing in the oven for a bit and put out some optional mustards.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Jingleheimer posted:

But the best deal there in my opinion is the 8 pack of chicken legs from the deli for $5. Costco really knows what they're doing when it comes to the chickens they have left over at the end of the night that didn't sell. They cut them up, put the legs in a pack and sell them, the rest of the meat they put in all the other stuff they sell like the pot pies, the chili, soup, alfredo, salads.

I keep several of the packaged rotisserie chicken bits in my freezer at all times. They weigh in at just over 2lb. a pop. I defrosted one starting last night. I'm going to use 1.5lb. to make a pot pie, and the rest will become curried chicken salad for the weekend. Also useful for Japanese curry, butter chicken, or shredded chicken tacos for those times when you don't/won't/can't have fresh chicken available.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

The Valencia Central Marketplace in Spain has all sorts of little shops inside. You toss a shopkeeper a euro and they'll give you a cup of whatever they have on offer: fresh fruit or jamon (with or without little cheese chunks) and a toothpick to eat it with. You can see some on the right-hand counter.

You can spend an hour in there just... smelling. My friend fell in love with the egg lady, and we ate fartons and drank horchata for 1 euro 50 (with refill) (this isn't true).

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
I think I did the math wrong and now my gummy vitamins are going to run out in mid December. That’s not a good time to stock up. Not really feeling like a trip this week, but next week is right out, and the next, and the next...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Chinatown posted:

i thought those were like dippin dots at first.

It's the Milkshake Factory on the label. I'm excited for gourmet whoppers, but not nearly as excited as I was for tiny gourmet ice cream balls.