Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

PokeJoe posted:

Cafeful, last time I thought I purchased 2 rib slabs but the package contained 3 and it was a lot of ribs to deal with

In the meat department, a vacuum-sealed cryovac of ribs will have 3 slabs, if they are on a styro tray and wrapped, it's 2 slabs. :science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

The TCL 55S403 is the 2017 model, the 2018 model that replaced it is 55S423. Your local warehouse may have either on the floor, depending on if they sold out of last year's stock or not. The 50" model will begin with 50, etc for the other sizes.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Does this mean Cosctco card holders in USA and Canada can't use their respective card while visiting the other country? Sucks if true.

Membership cards should work (US and Canada definitely do). The co-branded credit card (Visa in US, Mastercard in Canada) might. My local warehouse does accept the co-branded Costco Mastercard as payment, at one point it was a local trial but may be nation-wide by this point. Supposedly at some point the Costco Visa was supposed to be accepted in Canadian warehouses, but I'm not sure when/if that was set up.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

punchbuggy posted:

https://www.costco.com/Ervin-6-piece-Fabric-Modular-Sectional.product.100466278.html

I saw this modular sectional that would be perfect for the kids’ hangout room for $750.00. I went home and measured to make sure it’d fit, then went back to Costco the following week—and it was not on the floor anymore. It is available online, but for $350 more ($1100). What I’m wondering is if they ship via common carrier like ups so I’d be stuck with six huge-rear end boxes to dispose, or does their delivery service haul away the empty boxes?

*looked it up, and it’s “threshold delivery.” That means they’ll pile up the boxes inside the garage if I’m home, or more likely line them up outside the front entry area, right?

Just a heads up to you and anyone else, if you see an even price like "$750.00" (I'm assuming you weren't just rounding up), that means it's been marked down by a manager at the local store level and is generally the last one (display unit) and is likely to sell very soon. That's "get this thing the gently caress out of here, it's taking up space on the floor" and is beyond a normal markdown. The sign will often read "last one, display for sale" if so. A regular markdown will be shown with a price ending in .97 cents rather than .99 (and are done at the level above your local store, other stores nearby may or may not also have their price marked down), and is often combined with an asterisk in the top right corner of the sign, indicating that it's "pending delete" in the system meaning that once stock sells out, no more is coming in.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

Ultimate Mango posted:

Am I completely mental to consider buying a MacBook from Costco? It’s like three hundred bucks off with AppleCare and a better return policy than Apple. Only thing is you can’t customize to add memory or storage.

If you're considering the Applecare, look at adding the Squaretrade instead. Only $100, gets you the same third year of warranty plus the coverage from drops and spills, without the deductible of Applecare. Stacks with the Citi Visa warranty extension if applicable, which would give you a total of 5 years warranty, of which the first 3 you're covered for drops and spills.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

The service deli buys the meat for their bulgogi from the meat department (same with their ribs). IIRC it's choice grade chuck.

RE: electronics, Costco almost always has the best deals, unless an item is at full price and another retailer has it on sale. Literally every time I ever heard someone say, "It's cheaper on Amazon" I looked it up, and a similar product may have been cheaper, but the exact same model was higher. Sometimes like Best Buy will match Costco to the cent, and I did see one time two Black Fridays ago, Best Buy was selling some cheapo computer for cheaper than anything Costco had (prob a loss leader, which Costco doesn't do), but that's about it. You also get the best return policy anywhere (90 days), free tech support, free 2-year warranty, and the extended warranties are dirt cheap compared to anywhere else. I spent $30 for a 7-year warranty on my TV.

E: I completely agree with the above about the organic stuff. I've been sad to see things like my favorite Kirkland peanut butter get replaced with an organic version that was slightly smaller and slightly more expensive. The buyers definitely target the wealthy soccer mom demographic.

Azuren fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Apr 16, 2019

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

I love Winco and try to buy everything I don't get at Costco there, and their meat is cheaper, but it's also not as good of a quality (e.g. all their beef is Select, that's why it's cheaper, Costco has all Choice or Prime).

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

iroc.dis posted:

Confirm/Deny: TVs from Costco are sold at such a lower price compared to other stores because they have lower quality or lower performing components from the manufacturer.

Deny.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

priznat posted:

My Costco renewal is coming up and debating continuing with gold star or going up to executive. We had exec in the past but the money back coupons were a bit of a pain because I’d always forget to bring them. Or even forget to use them if I had them in my wallet all tucked away.

If the app allowed you to use those as well as being the membership card that would be rad.

Any other perks on exec worth it?

Executive gets you 2% cash back on everything you buy inside the warehouse, but costs an extra $60/year. 60/.02 = $3000/year break-even point. If you spend more than $3k a year ($250/month) the upgrade pays for itself. If you spend less than that, it's probably not worth it.

E: There are some other minor perks if you go through Costco for third party services (e.g. auto insurance) where you'll get some kind of discount or deal, but most people only care about the cash back.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

You can get a price adjustment within 30 days of purchase, just bring your original physical receipt to the returns counter (unlike a regular return where they can look at your shopping history, they do require the physical receipt for an adjustment). The item has to be in stock and the lower price has to be current (it can't have gone back up to full price), and they can give you the difference right there.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

Schadenboner posted:

Has anyone bought a laptop through Costco? Do they offer any kind of warranty (or can you add-on, for example, Dell's ProPlus warranty if you're getting a Dell)?

Two year warranty standard on all computers. You can also add the Squaretrade extended warranty to it, which gets you a three year warranty, plus all three years are covered for drops/physical damage, spills/water damage, and a one-time battery replacement if the battery holds less than 50% of its original charge. Laptop repair is done by mailing it in in a pre-paid box, with a five business day turnaround guarantee once it's received. Computer Squaretrade costs $70 for anything under $500, and $100 for anything over $500.

The Costco Citi Visa also separately adds a two-year extension to the end of any warranty, and stacks together with the Squaretrade, so if you're looking at using the Citi card, you're getting a 4 year warranty but no extra coverage, or if you stack the Squaretrade and the Citi, you're getting a total of 5 year warranty, of which 3 years are covered for drops/spills.

Azuren fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 14, 2019

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

Argyle posted:

I believe the SquareTrade warranty stacks, so if you get the SquareTrade and use the Costco Visa, you end up with 7 years total.

This is true for TVs but not for computers. TV Squaretrade extends the warranty out to 5 years (but doesn't cover physical damage/water damage). Computer Squaretrade extends the warranty out to 3 years (and does cover physical damage/water damage). The card adds a flat two years to the end of whatever warranty you get, for a combined total of 7 for TV Squadetrade+card, or 5 (of which 3 are covered for drops/spills) for computer Squaretrade+card.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

I cannot fathom my local warehouse enforcing the mask policy in any way whatsoever. They took down the sign informing people that everyone must wear a mask about a week ago (I was told that it's 'because it's been long enough that everyone knows they have to wear one by now'), and now a large minority of people walk around without one, or do things like wear it down around their chin/neck, up on their forehead, or walk around with it in their hand.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

Costco meat departments do use a mechanical tenderizer and most of the big sub-primal cuts do go through it before they're cut into steaks. Iirc a couple cuts are not ran through the tenderizer (been a while, I forget which ones) but the meat department labels for all of the steaks have that "mechanically tenderized" warning disclaimer on them as a CYA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

MarcusSA posted:

It’s not CYA.

They have to put it on the package per the USDA.

Interesting, did not know that! I mostly remember the discrepancy that some of the cuts that weren't actually tenderized still said they were on the label. I want to say it was the filets mignon (cuz tenderloin), and the bone-in prime t-bones, and maybe one other thing, but I'm not certain.