Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Can we build factory coconut farms that harvest with machines and put the mom and pop monkey coconut outfits out of business

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

If you wipe dowm the ham regularly with salt water shouldnt it last almost indefinitely??

:unsmith: Honey, would you please go wipe down the ham?

:catstare: Goddamnit Harold it's your turn to wipe down the ham, I just did it 6 hours ago. And don't you dare forget to set your alarm for the 3am wipe down. And make more brine while you're at it.

:smith: Yes, honey

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

StormDrain posted:

Oh you know I got a gram of that fine Kirkland Saffron.

I hope you're aware of how many monkeys in shock collars it takes to process enough saffron threads for each of those jars.

Enjoy your yellow rice.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

DkHelmet posted:

Just wait until someone tells him what happens to the cows when we make steaks.

Do you even realize how many monkeys it takes to kill a full grown cow?

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Barry posted:

I cut up big blocks of cheese into manageable pieces, vacuum seal and put them in the freezer.

This is great advice, I just bought a vacuum sealer at Costco

Like a month ago, I bought a sliced cheddar/colby jack pack and discovered it was reduced fat and it got moldy in a week so I had to throw it out, which was great.

The giant block of parmesan is still going strong, though. It is a drier cheese.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Enos Cabell posted:

Vacuum sealer and a chest freezer if you don't already own one are the two most practical purchases you can make as a new Costco member.

Working on the second one, friend

CaptainCrunch posted:

I made a long delayed pilgrimage a couple days ago and out of curiosity I grabbed one of the house pre-seasoned tri tips. Gave it an 8 hour bath in my sous vide and seared best I could in my cast iron (I'm buying a torch for next time, it's too odd of a shape to easily and quickly sear, at least for me.). It turned out heavenly. Buttery soft inside, with the fats rendering into the meat. The seasoning was just OK. For all the color, it was pretty mild. Next time I'll just do my own seasoning.

that looks amazing and I may have to try it this weekend

Smugworth fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 19, 2021

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Quote != Edit :(

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

schreibs posted:

Sweet Jacobs well getting some press....although I am not sure why :psyduck:

It thawed out

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I don't know where the corn tortillas are sourced but I really liked them, they were somewhat more dense and durable that your average corn tortilla and pretty tasty after throwing them on a skillet

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

The Mateo's salsa is really where it's at, has a pleasant little kick to it too

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Oh, hey, Ruta Maya.

13ish years ago I worked in a restaurant next door to a Ruta Maya coffee shop. I'd see weird coffee soot floating in the sky in the morning when they were roasting which was kinda surreal. I went there for the happy hour IPAs instead of coffee so I can't comment, but thanks for jogging my memory. :unsmith:

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I wish the Monster cases were cheaper

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

"aw geeze here comes that weird mustard guy again. Better get the mustard ready before he tries and ask me about the onion machine. What a creep. I wish my shift was over so I could smoke a bowl"

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Tapenade?

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Can confirm, dumpster dove a lot as a kid for some reason. Got a rad stack of 45s to play on my Tyco kids record player once

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

jisforjosh posted:

Yeah I recently learned that Texas doesn't allow publicly traded companies to sell liquor but even if THAT somehow got overturned, Costco still couldn't sell liquor in Texas. Texas law also states that if your store is opened before 10AM, closes after 9PM, or does ANY business on Sundays (even employees working, not open to customers) you can't sell liquor.

So yes, Texas loving hates freedom

:ssh: In the Republican stronghold of Texas, despite claiming to be the party of less regulation, the reason the laws are so draconian, especially when it comes to liquor laws and enforcement by TABC, is it's a loving racket.

If you ever have to wonder why the government in Texas does anything, from privatizing the electric grid or gerrymandering the hell out of the state, just remember, it's a racket.

Smugworth fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 29, 2021

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

That White Queso ain't no joke. One of the things we miss since moving to Minnesota from Texas is good queso around every corner. It's good n messy.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Hasselblad posted:

I do not understand the concept of wagyu jerky. I want jerky that I nearly tear teeth out with, not soft gummy stuff.

This is all store bought jerky these days and I feel your pain. They must do something to tenderize jerky during processing for mass consumption, but I long for the dry brittle stuff that would make your jaws sore.

Sure, I could find a dozen varieties along any major Texas highway, but now I live in Minnesota.

Smugworth fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jun 23, 2021

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

You can also chew on nails for the same effect

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Renegret posted:

I'm tempted to grind the whole thing down with a Dremel and start it from scratch.

Please save yourself lots of trouble and use a drill attachment. These are really good for stripping cast iron down to the metal. Don't know if they sell em at 'stCo. They're silver underneath, who knew?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Avanti-Pro-4-in-x-1-in-Non-Woven-Drill-Mount-Quick-Strip-Disc-PNW040100D01G/202830913

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Bibliotechno Music posted:

How on God’s green earth does Monster gently caress up your stomach less than coffee? All of those energy drinks feel caustic as hell going down.

Hey little fella maybe Monster is too much of a big person drink for your wittle tummy, maybe you should switch to strawberry yoohoo

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Rao's gang slay that bozo

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

david_a posted:

I would think uncooked tortillas would freeze well

they do

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

they even come in two separate packages so you can freeze one

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

The Jongga kimchi at Costco is really good

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Like just eat it out of the jar good

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Been eating the kimchi out of the jar by the forkful today
Kinda spicy, kinda fizzy, so so good

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I've never been to Sam's club how is their kimchi

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

numberoneposter posted:

craving a huge tub of kimchi now thanks

Kimchi is so good right

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I don't like the bitchin sauce but my wife does

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I bet some kimchi would pair nicely with those

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Kimchi stays good forever just poke a hole in the lid to let out the carbon dioxide

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Kimchi is on sale
Better stock up folks, I suggest buying 6-10 jars

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

pentyne posted:

I can't stand the Costco kimchi

I have reported this post, mods please ban this undesirable post-haste

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Get the Jongga kimchi

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

It's the one with two "g"s

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

LowOnCyan posted:

Jongga jip is the real deal, and an actual Korean brand! I've had it and it's very good.

Thank you

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

david_a posted:

You guys should probably post a picture more often when talking about stuff since my CostCo also only carries the mediocre kimchi. I was almost going to try it based on all the praise!

I apologize

If someone knows how to make this image my signature I'll do it so everyone in the CostCo thread knows which kimchi is the best (Jongga (the one with two "g"s))

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I find a couple cups of Folgers and a couple cups of Jongga (the one with two "g"s) kimchi really sets me up for a solid midday number two on the company clock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

bob dobbs is dead posted:

there are two sounds in korean that correspond to a western g and neither actually sound like g. theres ㄱ, which corresponds to half-aspirated g, so like mix g and k together, and ㄲ, whoch really doesnt correspond to an english sound

jonga is the jonga with a ㄱ

This is a pretty cool fact about the maker of my favorite kimchi, Jongga (the one with two "g"s)