Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

These tempura nori snacks are like crack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

The frozen Yakisoba are poo poo and not worth it.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Anyone else pick up some of those beef sticks that are on sale? Not bad, but still seem overpriced even with the discount.

If these are the refrigerated slim Jim's, they suck.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

GORDON posted:

Agreed. Very bland. I gave 2/3 of the package away.

I took a bite of one, and ended up throwing the rest out.
Didn't even make them doggo treats.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I'm going to church after work for dog food. I pray that I can pass through easily and get my slice on the way out.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Costco here (Durham) was wiping down cart handles as they entered...

with the same wipe.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Manuel Calavera posted:

I'm also poor and single so I wouldn't be able to put that beer cheese to use.

That sounds like quitter talk.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Church was a mess, no tp available.
Boomers still scared of self check out.

I managed to get in and out nice and easy, and even got a pepperoni communion wafer.

Gas was a cluster gently caress when I pulled in, but when I left there was no line.

:iiam:

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

keevo posted:

Is this organic millet and brown rice ramen any good?

It's not bad. I made sesame noodles with it. Haven't tried a rameny soup use yet.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Who needs a bidet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQM__8Jn978

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Renegret posted:

They're so rich, fortunately I can't stomach more than one at a time.

It's a nice treat for the wife and I. It's just what we need after a full day of this bullshit life of ours.

IMHO, best from the fridge or freezer.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Our costco (Durham, NC) still has lines out past the tire center and propane tank.

All i want are some meats, eggs, coffee, cream, and dog food.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

shovelbum posted:

you dont need costco when u have heavenly buffalos right there

As much as I wish I could, I cannot subsist on wings alone.
I need sanders salted caramel chocolate bites.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I've done unspeakable things with this Karen sauce.

And then I did this to them.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Just using leftovers and now have the bones for stock.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

If I'm going to spend $500 on meat I'll take the D’Artagnan Spanish Mangalica Dry Cured Ham for $499.

Features:
Distinctively rich flavor and succulent ham
Mangalica pigs are an old-world breed
Handcrafted in Spain by fourth-generation master charcutiers
Very versatile and requires no preparation except to slice thin and enjoy

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Durham church has no bacon, no tp, no paper towels, no dried blueberries, and a three total meat limit.

No bitchin sauce either.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

This looks pretty good, I don't really like sweet jerky and it seems like these aren't loaded with sugar. What flavors do you like?

Firey BBQ is my favorite, followed by black pepper and garlic (more like pastrami).

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Pbuc

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

IllegallySober posted:

I looked at those the other day but didn’t pull the trigger. Would be curious what you think of those.

This was the second go round on those burgs.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

fordham posted:

Have you formed an opinion as to taste, quality, etc.?

totally worth it.
8oz patties, def big enough to share or hulk out on.
bacon gets nice and crispy on the grill.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I just get jerky from the goon doing it for years.

Big John's Beef Jerky

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

More bacon burger. Pbuc.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Most of the reviews are also the same.

Arrived dented to poo poo.
Still works.

2 stars.

Not gonna lie, still tempted seeing as my last attempt at not Costco for a chest freezer was three weeks out then pushed to October.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

It brings me no small amount of sensible chuckles whenever I see an item's packaging claim "hand made, small batch, blah blah" and that item is on the shelf at church.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Woohoo.

Logged on at the right time and there were koolatrons back in stock.

Yay chest freezer!

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Freezer is allegedly arriving tomorrow. We shall see.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Anyone feed their dog the Kirkland dog foods? My new pup seems to have an issue with grains and the Kirkland foods are grain free but before I buy a huge bag I want to see how other folks like the food.

My GF feeds her GSD whatever the big green bag is.
I've never noticed any issues.
My dog gets some of it mixed in since she kind of thinks its a treat, otherwise she's a slow eating princess who eats her bowl of canidae every other mealtime.

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Aug 25, 2020

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Moey posted:

I am still shocked how you were able to order this online.

I check a few times a day and nothing.

I got lucky and logged in Friday night, the koolatron 7ft (Item #1087667) popped as in stock, and it's out for delivery today.

I had ordered one from Sears earlier in the month and they said delivery last Friday. Well last Tuesday they sent me an email saying "we mean October 21," so I cancelled that order and started re-watching the 'co.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

It has arrived!

A couple of small dents, but nothing horrible.

We'll still probably gripe at customer for a little back, but nbd.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

poisonpill posted:

Everyone with a chest freezer... how are they? Worth it? what are you storing in there?

I don't have room in my regular freezer to buy primal cuts and break them down myself.

I also shop at restaurant depot and being able to buy their or Costco's packer brisket, break it down into the point and split the flat in two is great.

Same for pork belly, I can buy a whole belly, freeze half, and get bacon and a pork belly dinner from the other half.

Same for their 6lb packs of ground beef.

All goes into the foodsaver and gets used over the next couple months.

It's also difficult for us as a couple to have room for more than three total bags of the Frozen Items:
Think one bag of salmon fillets, a bag of normandy blend, and a bag of meatballs.

Heck, now we'ed be able to buy the double loaves of sandwich bread and have room to freeze one.

Bulky frozen foods, prepared type stuff is a no go currently. But that's probably a good thing.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

The time up to temp isn't going to be bad as long as you pack the chicken breasts flat.

The danger value in sous vide is the total thickness. I think max thickness is 3".

I've done a full ~15lb packer brisket (in chunks) with my Sansaire.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

ive decided ur sauce isnt bithcin enough :colbert:

I've decided ur bitchin isn't saucy enough. :boom:

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

Hard-loving-pass.

It's like putting cheese corn in the tins with the popcorn and carmel corn.

:vomarine:

Chicago Mix is great!

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

A good chicago dog is god tier.

And so is a hot dipped Italian beef.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

I bought and broke down the 40 lb box of chicken last night. It took forever to vacuum pack it because I couldn't keep the chicken at slushy cold during packing, which meant that there were a bunch of failed seals and double bagging. Anyone got any tips?

When ever I've got large quantities that will take more than ~5ish minutes, I tend to do this:
Make the bags, toss the chicken in, keep frozen/re-freeze/chill/dry, then seal and return to freezer.

I can wipe out the bag, make sure it's clean and most of the juiceshave re-frozen and you can seal it before the product starts to terribly get hit by ice crystals.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

About how long do you re-freeze?

I'm also thinking some kind of receptacle to hold the bags while packing would help avoiding getting chicken juice errywhere.

15-20m or so jsut to get the stuff that started thawing on the way home to re-solidify.

You can also do a pre-suck with a folded paper towel in the bag to catch most of the juices, then remove, re-suck and seal.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I tried the paper towel, it was still just too juicy. I think the suggested 1-2 hours in the freezer before sealing just doesn't cut it when it's 40 lbs, I think it needs to be more like 3-4 hours, or more.

I've found that 1-2 is fine if it's individually bagged, and you keep the rest in the freezer as you work.
I did use a chest freezer to hold it while working tho, vs loading my bottom freezer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I freeze it in unsealed portions spread out in the freezer best i can to quick chill.

Buy giant bag of chicken at Costco. (Thawed, and not the IQF stuff right?)
Bring it home.
Make a bunch of bags.
Portion into the bag.
Do a juice suck.
Put the bag in the freezer for 1-2 hours/until the exterior has frozen/juices.
Repeat with each bag.
Remove, seal, and return bags to freezer.