Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

GORDON posted:

Samey same. Unless it's a "high end" steakhouse that I hit once or twice a year, where the chef will throw out a steak if it isn't perfect (or save it until someone orders a well-done, ha ha ha ha), I never order steak in restaurants any more. I'd rather have a good $9 burger, than an ill-prepared, mediocre $18 steak.

I'll still order the odd steak out an about. Our local bistro has bavette on the menu, and no one else around ever seems to have hangers.
9/10 times i'll get the moules frites though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Fancied up the fancy ramen.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

Anyone try the Meat District burgers yet? I picked up a highly recommended pack, but its 100 loving degrees out again and I don't want to go stand in front of the grill.

I bought them but haven't made them yet either.
Perhaps lunch tomorrow.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I just got a set of carbon steel pans and after seasoning and using them a coupe tines, they're non stick as poo poo.

I got a non stick wok at the co and the coating chipped off in under a month.

I'd recommend either a cheap rear end non stick you replace yearly or get some cast/carbon pans.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

The Midniter posted:

This is my go-to for drip coffee. It's excellent.

Funny, I thought this was hot garbage.

At this point I pretty much only get Kicking Horse Coffee, but alas, it is not at the 'co.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

PIZZA.BAT posted:

In the first sentence you're saying it will make the wipers last longer but in the second you're saying it cause them to crack prematurely

First he says you need to maintain then.

Second one says "don't use the blue poo poo at the gas station to do it. That poo poo will make them crack."

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

thathonkey posted:

i usually get the jamaica blue mountain blend coffee from there (beans). its fine for the price as my daily cup.

it comes in an orange bag

I disagree whole heartedly.

The two "specialty" blends are their absolute worst coffees. (Blue Mountain and Kona).
The thing about blends is, there is no standard as to what the limit has to be.
For the Costco price point that those blends are selling for, there are approximately 5 Blue Mountain/Kona beans in each bag and the rest are garbage.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

thathonkey posted:

im open to try something better what is good ive tried a few of their other kinds that i thought were worse than blue mountain by a noticeable amount

The silver bag Columbian is where it's at.

We cycle between that and rotating through the dark blends from Kicking Horse Coffee.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

thathonkey posted:

thank you to whoever recommended the colombia supremo coffee. got some beans and some of the cold brew cans since the seasons changin. both are pretty good and yeah i do like the beans better than the blue mountain blend

Glad to hear it! Enjoy your caffeination.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Finally

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I need to call the meat department about buying a costco sized bag of bones for stock.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

IMHO these were the best costco dog beds:

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Gatts posted:

Peanut Butter has pee and nut and butt in it lmao

And up to an average of fewer than 30 insect fragments per 100 grams—about a quarter of your average jar.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

nwin posted:

So how about some recent stuff that’s very legit and worth buying? Minus the raspberry lemon muffins because I don’t want to die.

The tempura orange chicken in the freezer section is a reliable "gently caress, what should we make for dinner?" option. We tend to keep a bag in the freezer.

It also works nice as a crispy chicken base for when you want to make a sauce and just pour it over. (Gen tso/sweet n sour/buffalo)

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

nwin posted:

I’ll have to check that out. We usually get the mandarin chicken from Trader Joe’s and it’s ok, but doesn’t have enough sauce.

We started getting this b/c going to TJ's during Covid was too loving crazy as the only one near us is right next to the college campus.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Martman posted:

drat that frozen orange chicken really is good. The 2 bags are pretty huge for an individual but it keeps great for leftovers too. I got a rice cooker recently and it's awesome to have a dinner costing like $2.50 that I'm really excited about.

We love it too. Super easy to toss in some Normandy veggies in the oven too.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

We bought the meatballs for easy after workout meat/protein/veg that wasn't the delicious tempura chicken. will report back tonight.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Teriyaki meatballs
I did get one bit of cartilage.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Meatball quesadilla.

Grilled meatball kabob.

Meatball tacos.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Bloodplay it again posted:

Plex transcodes videos in real-time using your CPU. A lot of it depends on the quality of the videos you want to stream. If you're going with higher bitrate files and HQ audio, you probably want either a mid-range/high-end CPU to do the transcoding or look for a desktop with a dedicated GPU. Even a GTX 1650 will work wonders compared to using a CPU to transcode and Plex has an option called "hardware-accelerated streaming" that will greatly help your streaming experience by offloading the work to the GPU.

Just a note: plex only uses hw transcoding if you pay for premium.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

DoggesAndCattes posted:

I can't vouch for them, but casually comparing specs with my low-budget Plex server (sub $500 not including hard drive/storage costs) they seem fine on par or better than what I have. I don't have a GPU because, as I think someone stated earlier, hardware acceleration with the GPU requires premium subscription with Plex. If ever the GPU market returns to the glory days, then I might consider getting a GPU.

Jellyfin is an open source fork of Emby( which went closed source after forking from Plex), and does offloading no sub required.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Our self checkout is staffed with someone scanning everything in the cart.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

The Midniter posted:

Got new tires for my wife's car this past weekend. Tire center guy said it'd be ~90 minutes so I leisurely ate a hot dog before doing my shopping as I had plenty of time. Despite being as careful as possible, I still dripped some mustard onto my shorts, which was disappointing. Then, not ten minutes into my warehouse shopping experience, I get a call that the car is ready, only around 25 minutes after I dropped it off. Ended up spending $1100 at Costco this past weekend., PBUC.

Those asiago and pepper jack Whisps cheese cracker things are really good.

Sadly, they didn't have the Jones Dairy Farm chicken meatballs, but they did have some breakfast-type chicken sausages made by the same company which I'm excited to try.

Also, in my experience I've found the Kirkland Signature frozen salmon fillets to actually be higher quality and better-tasting than the fresh salmon they offer in the cooler meats section. It's also preportioned and individually wrapped, so I'm all in.

Almost all (with the exception of local/fresh off the boat) seafood that is packaged and displayed "fresh" was processed and frozen at sea. By being in the fish case and sold 'fresh', it's already had one freeze/thaw cycle on it. The cryovac'd stuff stays frozen from the processing boat to your freezer.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

bob dobbs is dead posted:

you dont want actually fresh fish unless you want parasites in your fish

What, you don't like extra protein for free?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Brainworms

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

I don’t think that’s what they were implying

They were comparing a fish that enters your local shop frozen and only ends up thawing once you’ve bought it vs a fish that arrives at the market frozen and is thawed for display/sale, purchased, and then either refrozen or kept thawed.

That second fish is either going to go through extra freeze/thaw cycles, which will break down the connective tissue in the meat and speed up the breakdown process, and potentially spoil the texture; or it’s going to be carrying the bacterial load from the store+your car+the fridge, etc.

Virtually all of the fish sold in the US through retail or the restaurant industry is frozen at least once before it reaches the people who eat it. If it isn’t, then the fish was almost always alive at the store and killed on-site, but that’s not really the norm outside of certain Asian groceries- and I think those might be limited in what species/etc they can kill on-site vs what can’t be brought in without freezing.

The FDA and Dept of Fisheries are actually super good about this. Marine fish-borne parasites are incredibly rare in the US, to the point of almost being medical novelties/paper fodder.

Danke

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Cajun boiled peanuts are the best peanut.

Edit: peanut sniper

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

bagmonkey posted:

Am I remembering correctly that occasionally Costco has good sales on chest freezers? I'm looking to get one to compliment our tiny-as-gently caress one in the fridge, mostly because I'd like to have more frozen meats/veggies/single meals on hand. Also debating stopping by tonight even though I don't really need anything.

You may still have to watch online like a hawk, order, and still wait a month for delivery b/c "New Normal"

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Nooner posted:

so if an apple a day keeps the doctor away

what do I need to keep the lame rear end apple dorks away?

An IBM.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

StormDrain posted:

How is that different than a prime rib?

It's not.

One you cut a steak off a prime rib (or rib roast), it's a ribeye.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

To be fair, the churrø was karving its initials on her.

Try the farts from the large bags of brussel sprouts.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Costco Dad blocked the entire frozen aisle today stopping to excitedly describe the fish shaped fish cakes to his bulk order of children in detail with his cart parked perfectly been the endcap display, employee and his stocking cart, and the sample less sample person to stop all traffic.

He did not get the fish cakes.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Fridge section ramen is ok.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Double dog drifting?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Chicken prices at costco are pretty garbage lately.
BSCThighs at Costco is 2.99/LB+, not even boobies.

Meanwhile the bulk package of BSCBoobs at the grocery store is $1-2/lb

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Geodude posted:

Good find yesterday: they have Pendleton picnic blankets that fold up nice with a handle. Perfect for putting in your trunk for impromptu relaxing.

These are also great for impromptu car repairs.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

AHH F/UGH posted:

No because my gas tank isn’t large enough for $50 fills right now and it’s doled out in $25 increments and we have to turn in receipts (people abused it in the past), so if we get gas and it isn’t in some increment of that, we don’t get reimbursed. It’s not tracked in mpg either, we have a program online where we plug in our route and it automatically calculates mileage and whatnot. Our job often has us on the road driving around to customers out in the field (large machinery and farm equipment) so don’t think I don’t understand hot rear end dusty weather either. I make a concerted effort to try and be louder and clearer when I’m asking for these amounts because I don’t want them to gently caress it up. He definitely had to hear me say ‘25’ but didn’t verbally confirm the amount I wanted - but the issue was how he handled it afterwards regardless. If I talked to and blamed my customers’ country drawl or something the way he talked to me for something that I didn’t confirm and just assumed they wanted, my rear end would get Karened on as well.

Also hilarious that some people here think that getting a gas allowance is like free money or something. Do you also think employer match on a 401k is free money too? If I don’t use it and use it right I’m just giving my money away to the company. I’m going to get a dog and drink tomorrow to wash away the guilt and pain I feel for crushing this poor man. Also maybe a slice of cheese.

Take your rear end over to Sam's Club where you belong.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Thighs are $2.99/lb at Costco and $0.99-1.99/lb at the local grocery.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Tables back in Durham.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

When did the Costco packs of butter go from a package of 4 1lb boxes to a package of 3?