Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
Here on the island of Kauai we call it the costcos, as in lets go to the costcos and get pizza, also we never get frozen orange juice for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
You can order a pizza when you are checking out, what a miracle.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

I said come in! posted:

I have mixed feelings about Costco. I do like their selection, but I feel like items are difficult to find, and the Costco where I shop at is always overcrowded. That said the next time I go I am going to convince my wife to get a pizza.

loving frozen orange juice and ducks and trident breaded cod! :mad:

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Cheap Costco fuel is a godsend here on Kauai as well. It drives down the cost of gas on the entire island and justifies my executive membership by itself and I only commute 15 minutes away from my house.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Just the gas pays for the card, stuff is not just cheap but also high quality, and there is a lot of items that can only be found at Costco. If you cook a lot for yourself, totally worth it even if you live alone, but if you are only buying a lot of pre-made stuff then maybe not. But then again 4 frozen pepperoni pizzas for 8 bucks is kind of great.

Washout fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Apr 16, 2019

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Vato posted:

Just the other guy in this thread and then the guy I talked to on the phone...who works there. That's 2 for 2. They just sound like something my folks would like because they love kolaches and chicken pot pies. But if it's a thing you eat there, then that won't work. Also, the guy said it was in the food court, so probably it's not a thing that'd be just as good if you brought it home and heated it up, maybe. Now doubt has set in...thanks!

You can get everything the food court sells in bulk frozen inside the store, except the frozen yogurt? The chicken bakes taste the same from either source. I'd bet your parents would easily just split one for a meal.

I don't know why so many people hate on the rotisserie Costco chicken, sure you can make a better one at home but uncooked chickens are usually a lot more expensive.

I hope our Costco starts offering the 1.5 for 5.99 deal, that sounds amazing.

Washout fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 19, 2019

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

My Costco in Hawaii is an outdoor food court old design. We check out and the the tires and ice and coffee grinding are along both sides of a huge isle as you exit to the left, the one here in Washington has the inferior interior food court and it sucks trying to both order food and exit the store, although obviously the one here on the mainland has 100% more variety.

Washout fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jul 18, 2019

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Throw a case of Mad Dog 20/20 on there and you got yourself a party.

This is what working at a car dealership should really be like.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Is the less powerful Vitamix e320 really worth the cost? Can it still make soups from raw vegetables and the other stuff like the higher end model can?

Washout fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Aug 28, 2019

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

no broccoli please posted:

50% satanic, 100% flavour.

Hail santa.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Fashionably Great posted:

My cat only snuggles with me if a sherpa is involved. Looking forward to buying my annual blanket since the fleece goes all clumpy after a while. I was holding off until there was a sale.

If it gets all clumpy just shave it.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Taima posted:

Nah they're a bit different:

The main problem is the chicken is super dry, and nothing about the kit is that good or flavorful. It would be serviceable for a last minute dinner if they fixed the meat.

Dude just buy a roteressire and shred it and a container of salsa and a pack of beans and a block of cheese and then make 20 tacos yourself.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Modern automatics don't have any kind of maintenance or mileage disadvantages over manual anymore, so unless you plan on going full car crazy and autocrossing or something there is no real reason for them anymore. But that really sucks we aren't getting that all electric fit, I'd get one of those in a second, that would be perfect for this island.

Washout fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Sep 25, 2019

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Ultimate Mango posted:

It’s chocolate with like a half milliliter of liquid in it.

Chocolate with booze in it for 12 bucks, not exactly highway robbery.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Yesterday while checking out we got called over to self checkout, which didn't have any "credit or debit only!" signs that I could see. When I finished I began looking for the cash slot, luckily they called a manager over and were able to take my cash so we didn't have to go ring up again, but the self checkout is useless to me without accepting cash so that's kind of a bummer. Literally every self checkout I've ever seen takes cash so this system they are installing seems pretty sub par. Also if you buy bakery items you have to manually input some code which seems kind of crap too. In short only use self checkout if you are sure everything has a barcode and you are going to pay with credit, cursed day.

Washout fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 4, 2019

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Captain Beans posted:

drat bro you must either carry way more cash than anyone I know, or have a much smaller Costco bill than anyone I know. I can't get out of Costco without spending at least $150

are you on the run from the law or something?

Some of my renters only pay me in cash so it just makes it a lot easier to pay my costco runs with cash.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

TheMadMilkman posted:

Honestly I wouldn’t mind if the rotisserie chickens were a little smaller, even at the same price. They’re a great deal but kinda bland compared to what you can get elsewhere.

I love them the way they are, they make a great base for casseroles, salads, etc. They sell whole chickens uncooked for around 10 dollars though, so when you want to cook and season your own bird it's a lot more expensive, but then again those whole birds are not really double the price, because they are 7-8lbs. So really when you want to season your own it's only 30% more.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Chinatown posted:

Kirkland No Salt Seasoning owns.

Yuk

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Snowy posted:

That’s me and this is the first I’m hearing about Nosalt. Might have to try it out. Going without salt is pretty sucky.

Better off getting a variety of spices from your local place with fresh spices, like an indian grocery or similar. The no salt seasoning is not very good, tastes like a lot of filler, their taco seasoning is also mostly filler.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

KakerMix posted:

I do this poo poo every time I leave the store on the way to my car. Why wouldn't you?

I still ride my cart through the lot like an idiot and I'm 45.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Enos Cabell posted:

Yup, at least at mine they do. Almost always seem to have whole pigs and whole lamb.

Why can't my local here on kauai ever get whole pigs and goats, people go nuts for those locally and the only way to actually get them is to go shoot one yourself, and if you are a transplant like myself it's nearly impossible to get someone to show you the good hunting spots.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

God drat have i been eating more beans. Costco sells dem beans in bulk right?

Brine your beans and then pressure cook them, a more amazing bean you will not have.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

PokeJoe posted:

Storing bread of any kind in the fridge makes it go stale faster. Store it at room temp or in the freezer. This is because part of staling is a chemical process that works better cool but worse frozen.

Locations with high temp and humidity you have no choice but to store in the fridge, any flour products I leave out will mould within days, including tortillas.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

I went to Costco and had to wait an hour to get TP and they said no wipes or bleach or anything and so I didn't look, then when I got home everyone was posting on local Facebook that they got wipes and Lysol spray. At least I got my tp and mayonnaise.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

I went on a kick for a while where I would have olive oil and vinegar with dinner nearly every day, and I can't say I could tell the difference between any of the 3 kirkland olive oils, even the biggest one that's only 15% evoo tastes the same to me. But I haven't tried the toscano olive oil, but if I can't tell between the pure evoo and the 15% I can't imagine the toscano as being much different.

edit: Haha jamie oliver cooks like I do. There are a few cheats to make your cooking taste consistently amazing and that's one of them.

Washout fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 29, 2020

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

AF posted:

Suddenly, I feel like I should be using a lot more olive oil than I am

Restaurant cooking does insane things like 1:1 ratio of butter:mashed potatoes, making chicken Marsala or any kind of french sauce = 2 sticks of butter, a lot healthier to replace everything with a few tbsp of olive oil instead of a half a cup of butter. After cooking olive oil actually tastes very buttery to me. It's more noticeable in sauces using a roue where if you replace the butter with olive oil as your sauce base you can easily tell the difference but to me the olive oil is better (and cheaper). It also seems to disperse into the sauce better and not leave you with a layer of fat percolating to the top after serving.

The amount of salt and butter used by professional chefs is just insane for average household cooking. I made lobster thermador aux crevettes with mornay sauce and used the full butter/cheese amounts and no one could eat more than a 1/3 of a cup of the finished product because it was so rich. And a few people only ate half that, it was amazing and one of the best things I've ever made but also crazy.

Washout fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 29, 2020

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

.Z. posted:

Reminds me of this soup “recipe”:
Hahaha they zoom in on the olive oil just glugging down into the pan. That was an incredible amount, the most I ever use is a full cup in a giant two gallon batch of gumbo.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Pick posted:

olive oil I don't understand. Oil is flavorless. I've never been able to taste an oil. So what matters about oil other than its smoke point or w/e?

It tastes like butter? And evoo has it's own even stronger taste. If it's tasteless then it's probably only 50% or less filtered olive oil.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

I got some of the corelle embossed toast sized plates and they are actually great, I thought since they are thicker they would be more likely to chip but it's been 10 years and a ton of renters and not a single chip on any of them.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Those red packaged spiral cut hams are amazing and insane cheap, the only problem is that it's too much meat and I'm not prepared.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

KakerMix posted:

Every time we buy a croissant bin from Costco we hand out as many as we can to our neighbors. Way too much bread for just two people, plenty for 5 households!

Get the bag of shredded chicken near the rotisserie, a bag of almonds, flat of oranges, a giant jar of mayo, and the croissants, chop the almonds and zest and juice 2 oranges and make almond chicken orange salad with the croissants and proceed to eat nothing but those for 3 days straight because you are in heaven. Can use walnuts as an addition or substitution depending on preference.

If you are so inclined you can make your own fresh olive oil mayo with the cuisinart immersion blender, 1/2 cup of olive oil, 1 and 1/2 cups of vegetable oil 2 eggs and juice of half a lime or lemon, and 1 tbsp of mustard.

Washout fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 6, 2020

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Grem posted:

Sohla is really gaining traction as being one of the best chefs BA has to offer, weirdass or not. Wait til you see what she does to carbonara!

Why would you want to do anything to carbonara, it's amazing already.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

legion989 posted:

Trip report from Costco in Wilmington NC, staying with some family members.

Nobody has masks here, it's like 1 out of 20 wearing as mask or observing social distancing. Signs up outside Costco about putting a mask on but nobody is enforcing it, it seems insane.

Tons of meat here though there's a lot of plants nearby, but oddly zero TP or paper towels

I'm a security guard, costco just hired our company on a temp contract for entrance duty. Soon you'll be seeing security guys that are a lot more serious about the enforcement.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Cyrano4747 posted:

My biggest hang up with sous vide is all the bags that get used. It just seems so wasteful to basically toss a bag with every meal you cook.

But I’ll fully admit to being the weird one on this. I’ve been doing a lot to try and eliminate as much single use plastic bag and wrap type poo poo in my life as I can. Not going to even pretend to be all the way there but it sure as gently caress makes you notice it.

You fill them full of soapy water and a sponge and mush it around until it's clean?

david_a posted:

I don’t think I eat enough meat to bother with sous vide. Other than eggs, what else is it good for?

I use mine to make yogurt, you can make custard, perfect fish, can even use it to make cheese easier than in a pan or double boiler. Ironically I don't like the way it cooks most meats and never use it for that either. That said if you don't like the watery kind of european yogurt or buttermilk then you won't really like the sous vide version either. I have digestion problems and drink about a gallon of yogurt every two weeks.

Basically you can use it for anything you can imagine where you need to keep something at a really consistent temperature. People always think of it as sealing things in a plastic bag but it's just as easy to submerge pots or gallon jugs or whatever.

Washout fucked around with this message at 07:36 on May 20, 2020

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Pennywise the Frown posted:

My friend got one of those 3 packs of frozen Kirkland pizzas. They're definitely not the ones at the food court but he said he really liked them.

The Kirkland brand cheese pizzas are great for using as a base to make your own with. I love taco pizzas and use them to make those sometimes. The pepperoni is also really good, way more pep than any store brand I've ever had considering it's like 8 bucks for 3.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Costco turkey bacon gets surprisingly crispy and is legit good.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

david_a posted:

Anybody have an opinion on the giant containers of kimchi in the chilled section? I read a not so good review somewhere but it was a bit old so it might have been a different brand

I make my own kimchi every 6 months and make 60lbs at a time because I have digestive problems and kimchi seems to be the only thing that really helps. But we get two different brands here and the one in the bigger tub I'd rate pretty low 2/10 practically inedible and the smaller container with a green? lid I'd rate as being edible 5/10 but still not with that korean made in the store taste that I can get in washington, I'd rate the korean in store stuff as 8/10 at my market I used to go to when I lived in washington. I make mine with way more variety of vegetables and more spices so it's perfect though.

edit: Really the entire reason I started making it myself though is because the store bought kind you get here in kauai really just doesn't taste right compared to the made in store kind from korean groceries.

Washout fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 21, 2020

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

fischtick posted:

Human bodies are amazing. My wife has digestive problems and the three main culprits are cabbage, spicy foods, and preserved veggies.

Just realized I haven't cashed in my savings thing on account of *gestures broadly*. Gonna wake up early and get a good spot in line at the return counter!

Yeah I was fixing someones computer a while ago and they actually had to completely quit eating vegetables due to pollen food syndrome? Like any kinds of vegetables would just make her sick as hell. Entire diet of meat eggs and cheese with supplemental vitamins.

Then my friends wife who I often enlist to help make a batch for a share of the spoils loves it, but if he eats too much spicy stuff he just throws up. Digestion is weird and complicated.

Washout fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 21, 2020

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

I loving love salt, I bet I'd love those cookies with coffee but I'm already addicted to the muffins and have no reason to quit my poppy seed and blueberry addiction.

Although my roommate was eating so many everything bagels and poppy seed muffins that she hit a positive on a drug test so maybe that should be a cautionary tale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Gatts posted:

I agree, the k cups are poo poo. And wasteful. I moved away from them

On the other hand I bought 8oz of Hawaiian Kona coffee for $65 so welp I know little about coffee

The one advantage out here in the middle of the ocean is that I get those for 20 bucks.