Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I have to go to Costco to get my glasses and contacts prescriptions renewed, but I decided to day-drink today and now I have to wait another week. The one by me is in a massive Orthodox Jewish neighborhood, so it's dead on Saturday and mobbed on any other day of the week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'm a recent member, though the Costco I like is far enough of a drive that I wouldn't go there unless I was in the area or there was a definite something there I wanted. I thought why not ask that question on the off chance someone knew the answer.

https://www.costco.com/Steamfast-Mid-Size-Fabric-Steam-Press-.product.100010847.html

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Also protip: the Kirkland (Costco's brand) beers are dirt cheap and not even that bad (some of them IIRC are actually brewed by Saranac). Those and the Trader Joe's-branded beers kept me in not-lovely-alcohol during the tough times

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

let me tell you about a magical bottle of satisfaction known as Two Buck Chuck (you may pay up to Three Bucks for it but no membership needed)

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

they don't check if the membership's actually valid at the door :)

lol they're supposed to check your membership card against your form of payment at the registers but they're not super thorough about it. My dad's got a corporate membership and I used his card to buy some housewares a while back. Everything was OK until a manager happened to walk by, took a closer look and realized my credit card and the membership card didn't match. She got suuuuuuuper pissed at me, but gently caress it - transaction was already done so there's nothing she could do, and like I told her: I didn't know that was a rule, and maybe get mad at your employee for not catching it rather than a customer for doing it unintentionally.

I was just there for new contact lenses in the first place :confused:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Meydey posted:

Don't know if he has done this already or not but corporate memberships allow 2 sub memberships on the card. Your dad can add you on his and you would get your own Executive membership card. The only difference is that you would not get the 2% cash back.
I work at Corp and have my son and a sister in law on my account.

My mom's already the other one :)

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Meydey posted:

Actually spouse does not count. They are part of the main account and get the 2%. I have my wife, and son/sis in law on mine.

If your dad is at the main office, then there is a good chance I know him. I have done alot of support in previous positions for many people.

Sorry, I didn't mean corporate like "works for CostCo", I meant he has one of those business-class memberships or whatever.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I'm the heathen that's been shopping at Costco for decades but never tried a hot dog. The lines are always super-long and I'm always full from free samples :(

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I always just assumed Kirkland is their private-label brand, AKA they don't actually make anything, just rebrand other stuff, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Kirkland kosher hot dogs come from the same factory as actual Hebrew Nationals.

Off the top of my head, a couple of the Kirkland beers are actually brewed by the same company that makes Saranac. I know that at Trader Joe's, their hard cider is brewed by Woodchuck.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Peachfart posted:

My favorite thing about Costco is that I don't have to care about shopping.
Its not like when I go to the grocery store for spaghetti sauce, and have 30 different options at various prices and most of them are probably garbage. At Costco I have 1-2 options, and I know they are good and cheap because Costco only sells good stuff.

OTOH shopping at Costco for anything remotely perishable takes some thought. Am I going to be able to use a gallon-sized spaghetti sauce jar before it goes bad?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Uniqlo has a similar thing but for a lot more expensive ($7-9 per shirt for the long-sleeves) but the Extra Warm ones are loving awesome for layering. Gonna have to give the Costco ones a shot.

Meydey posted:

Most Kirkland brand stuff is from known manufacturers, but they keep who pretty secret. A good hint is if they sell a competing item of a regular brand. Prob same manufacturer. As for meat, they decided it was cheaper to just build a meat plant. Most of the cut meats come from there in bulk and fine cut at the warehouse.
There are also multiple Optical Depots where they make their own glasses lenses, and Pharmacy depots that handle the bulk prescription stuff.

It's a drat good plant then because their meat department is great for both cold cuts and actual steaks, etc.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The one I go to is right on the NY/NJ border so even Costco's crazy low gas prices pale in comparison to crossing the border 5 minutes away into NJ and paying like $.60 less per gallon, so thankfully the gas station never disrupts the parking situation.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Let me ask you a question. Can Costco do any wrong? No!

srsly though, they're even notoriously good to their employees as far as pay and bennies go.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

kazr posted:

No ketchup, as God intended. Very nice.

:yeah:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The only Costco in my area is equally frequented by the massive Orthodox Jew community and the equally massive Hispanic community and I've never really noticed any targetted marketing towards either

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

It probably helps that the Costco is smack dab in the middle of an assload of Orthodox shops (kosher bakeries, Judaica, kosher supermarket, etc.), and there's an awesome supermarket across the street that focuses heavily on ultra-cheap, authentic Hispanic brands, so they probably get by with the usual setup.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

You have identified the one goon project that can be accomplished by 98% of goons, and the 2% failure rate should produce at least one good thread.

"I went to buy a hot dog but the cute girl behind the counter winked at me so I meowed like a cat and ran off into the Optometry department"

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Haverchuck posted:

The whole concept of muffins is stupid. They should just sell the tops

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpM1YTfzFeM

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Oh yeah among the awesome things Costco has is a badass refund/return policy. I got one of those fancy Keurig machines as a birthday present, and the drat thing has died literally 4 times since I bought it. Every time it does, Costco gives me a replacement with zero hassle. Best part? The model I have comes with easily like $30-40 worth of K-cups (it comes with a box of the Carafe ones that make a full pot's worth too), so every time it breaks I end up with a bunch of free coffee!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

shoophobo posted:

My mom signed up for the new BJ's that is opening soon and added me on her membership. I got the card yesterday. I guess in exchange for letting her piggyback on my Costco membership:(Dat executive membership cash)
I am a devout Costco man but the free membership and the promotional 10¢ off a gallon is tempting me to check it out when it opens.

We used to go to BJ's before the Costco opened here. I always kind of remember it as a slightly grubbier Costco.

I do remember that they used to have a giant chain-linked area where they'd toss all the shipping boxes and let customers use them to hold the poo poo they bought; one time the door in was open and you better believe 10-year-old me took a sprinting gainer into the giant mountain of boxes.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

shoophobo posted:

So a step up from Sam's but still no glorious Costco huh

I've never been inside a Sam's Club tbh, the idea of literally a bulk Walmart is too revolting

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Citizen Tayne posted:

The Costco stores here don't sell booze of any sort.

:sad:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I like that Costco also sells super high-end jewelry and also has a full Verizon kiosk in-store

You can walk out of Costco with a new cell phone/plan, a new dishwasher, contact lenses, a 5lb block of fancy cheddar, and an Omega Seamaster watch. What a country!!!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

In the zombir apocalypse there's nowhere I'd rather fortify and hole up in than a Costco

The shelves would be perfect for lookout stations too

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Chinatown posted:

cruises are great ways to disappear people with little to no media coverage.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Also I heard they search your bags for drugs or something when you go on a cruise, what's the point if you're not smoking assloads of weed while trapped on a boat for 10 days

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Glazier posted:

Ten whole days where I don't have to wear clothes is enough for me.

sir this is a Disney cruise please put your banana hammock back on

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Sound Mr. Brown posted:

Omega SPYmaster

Omicron Spymaster.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I have to go to Costco for an eye exam tomorrow. I'm bringing my dad's membership card and gonna cross my fingers the guy at the register doesn't check the photo too closely. Not worried about getting stopped at the door since I'm going to the optical department first.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Ok so I'm trying to justify the cost of just owning up and buying my own drat membership. The thing is, meat and cheeses and produce are great but it's just me and my wife and even supermarket produce has a tendency to go bad because we wait too long. So I'm trying to compile a list of non-perishables that justify the membership cost. So far I've got:

-Frozen veggies & chicken for stir fries
-Paper towels/TP/Kitchen wipes
-Bar and hand soap
-Laundry detergent
-Those microwave veggie bowls
-Olive oil

Any other major items worth stocking up on?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Sound Mr. Brown posted:

dangit, nice catch

yeahh! whatever dumb guy!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Gravitee posted:

Dry pasta
Canned veggies (I get mushrooms and tomatoes)
Seasonings (Salt, pepper, taco mix)
Medicine/vitamins
Kirkland protein bars

I keep adding stuff to my Costco list based on this thread and my next visit is going to be painfully awesome.

TBH I just looked up paper towels and TP and it's actually cheaper to buy 3 12-packs of TP at stop&shop than a 36-pack of the same brand at Costco :(

gonna have to do more research tomorrow

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Trip report: $3 for 2 pounds of ravioli :hellyeah:

$1.50 hot dog and soda and a $1.60 fruit smoothie to wash it all down :getin:

Cashier flat out told me "this isn't your card" but then rang me up as normal :shrug:

Costco is good. Costco is life.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Meydey posted:

Sigh...Costco'd again.
Yesterday I bought a $40 neck rest thing for my wife for traveling from Amazon. Went into a warehouse today and dammit, Costco is selling on very similar for $11.99. Now I have to send the Amazon one back.
Also, the Tukwila warehouse has 1/2 a pallet left of the Harvest Creek Buffalo Chicken in a can on clearance,. 4 pack for $5.97. Holy poo poo that is good. Bought 2 packs and might have to go back for more before its gone.

This is the poo poo: https://www.amazon.com/Harvest-Creek-shredded-chicken-12-5-oz/dp/B00V51K0WQ

Holy poo poo there's almost 80% of the daily allotment of sodium in those

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Meydey posted:

Not my pic, but apparantly this was taken last week at the Seattle Costco. Oh my.

gently caress man 1140 calories though :smith:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Eat it, and wear it!!!! Astonishing finds every day at this wonderland.

Someone mentioned those t-shirts made from recycled plastic bottles (32 Degrees or something?) that you can get at Costco and by god they are loving awesome shirts

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Count Freebasie posted:

That would be too many credit cards. Have my Amex, my corporate Amex, and my American Airlines MasterCard, which is my backup if a place won't take Amex, since it helps me rack up miles. Guess I'll have to use my Visa debit card. :(

I have an Amex Platinum for the specific reason that I have to pay it off in full every month, so no debt-building. It's the only credit card I have, otherwise I just use my Visa debit.

The annual fee has more than paid for itself with some of the benefits it comes with. Being able to access a premium lounge for free in almost any airport is very nice.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

BaconCopter posted:

One hundred and fifty cents (+tax), one fountain soda, a single whole quarter plus pound dog ALL FOR YOURSELF. UNLIMITED onions, UNLIMITED other poo poo. Sure that burg may look good, but how can you compare the value? :shrug:

unlimited refills on the soda too so a good place to enjoy a meal and also practice burping the emancipation proclamation while contracting diabetes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Scornful Sexbot posted:

My Costco is in NJ and the "special" food court item is an Italian sausage :( things are ubiquitous are around here and not even very good. I have zero reason to try it at over double the price of a dog. I wish they had a burger or bratwurst, some of you don't know what you've got!!!

Good news though is my trip owned otherwise and I got so much quality poo poo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There was one in NJ by me but they turned it into one of the Costco Business Centers or whatever so now it's mostly office supplies and poo poo like that. I have to go to the one across the border in NY now :mad:

This post should probably also go in the 1st World Problems thread