Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

TheAardvark posted:

I eat a Costco dog about 3 times a week, lord provide. I load that poo poo up with mustard and onions, aaand also ketchup. I grew up from a tiny kid being given ketchup with my hotdogs.

:shrug: it's like if someone told me that Actually, cheese doesn't go with hamburgers. I wouldn't stop doing it anyway.

Also got an entire pallet of resellable boiled peeled eggs today - going to pickle half of them and use the rest as breakfast. Convenience.

Ketchup not going on hot dogs is a dumb position perpetuated entirely by fat Chicagoans that need to feel prideful about something. I would never put them on a Chicago Dog (that's what the tomato slices are for) but a regular old hot dog without all the other fixins, gimme that ketchup and mustard.

Go to the food court in the Costco on the north side of Chicago and EVERYONE is putting mustard/ketchup/maybe onions on their dogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Taima posted:

been involved with those brewing them for 15+ years, how IPAs work.

"the bartender at the brewpub will occasionally talk to me"

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

FogHelmut posted:

Turkeys out yet? Debating whether or not to go today or wait until later in the week. Need some TP and a serrano ham.

They were at mine yesterday. Serrano ham too.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Just stopped there for gas and socks. Got my merino wool socks, batteries (no idea why) and they had these protein bars with amazing macros. They have 16 grams of fiber. I think my Fiber One bars only have 9 and they're designed to have fiber.

:yum:

I'm always yearning for a quality poop, what's the brand of those protein bars?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

SirPablo posted:

Places to avoid the next four days: Costco

BURN THE HERETIC

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

I bought a chicken pot pie a while back. Froze it a few hours to harden it up, cut into quarters and then wrapped those in foil to individually freeze. Thawed it in the fridge overnight (well, over two nights, got lazy) and then stuck it in my toaster oven for ~40 minutes at 375 or so. Poked it every so often with my instant read thermometer until it was 165-170 internal temp.

Worked out perfectly. Delicious as ever. Next time I'll probably cut it into 6 pieces as 1/4 of a chicken pot pie is a little bit much for this fella.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Sakara123 posted:

??? I have literally never waited less than 10 minutes in a costco gas line. Or I can just go to a shell. Pay 5cents tops more per litre. Also has about the same( or significantly more if you buy the premium ) detergent additive ratios. Also how far is your costco? If you didn't have enough fuel to make it there you're probably wasting more in fuel travelling to/from than you'd save.

Same here. Only filled up a few times from Costco before realizing my time was worth much more than saving a buck or two on gas.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Electric is the way, man. I wonder how long itíll take until Costco starts installing DC fast chargers on site.

$1.50 hot dog and soda with TWO free refills

:vince:

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Don't look a gift ham in the mouth

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Chinatown posted:

noticed that my local Costco no longer has the Cheeseburger on the menu. Is it dead? It should be, because it was terrible.

I saw it at mine a few days ago.

Also Bitchin Sauce has made its way to Illinois! I bought a tub of Chipotle (only one they had) and put some on toast and it was pretty drat tasty. I did run across a few reviews on Amazon and elsewhere that they changed the recipe: https://www.amazon.com/Bitchin-Sauce-Original/dp/B078HN4XQF

Can anyone confirm/deny? Like that first review stated I definitely feel like it's kind of watery and you could pour it out of the container.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

WescottF1 posted:

I'll grab my two case allotment then. Thanks!

Two cases per flavor!

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

SirPablo posted:

Argh, seems like church no longer carries the tikki masala pouches.

Noooooo whenever they had those on sale I'd stock up, such great simple lunches.

Are all the Tasty Bite pouches gone or just the tikka masala?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

fordham posted:

drat I wish they carried these in Mass. I currently order tomatoes from Amazon to make sauce because the grocery store stock is pretty much entirely trash.

No Red Gold? I make a fair bit of sauce and usually buy some form of DOP San Marzanos but I feel like Red Gold Whole Peeled are just as good (and in some respects, better).

e: Muir Glen are great too

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

How long do those Tasty Bite things last? I put them in a cupboard I never use and I think they expired in December maybe. Aren't they vacuum packed though?

What, December 2019? You're fine for quite some time I'm sure

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Yeah they're great for lunch. Make some rice the night before and put it on top. Don't forget your favorite hot sauce

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Yeah I've rented through them a few times and it's to get the second driver. Chances are if you dig around enough you'll get a better rate too.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Then you're probably better off just going direct to the rental car company.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Chinatown posted:

:yeah:

MSG is good and its rap as being bad for you is steeped in racism.

Yup.

The only bummer with the rotisserie chicken is that with the inevitable dog and soda (with free refill!) and maybe something else, I'm never hungry leaving Costco. So I usually only buy one if I'll have some time when I get home to break it down some and put it in the fridge.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm returning an 18 pack of English Muffins that started to grow mold on them barely a week after I got them, before I had even opened them!

Maybe expectations are skewed by the loading up of preservatives but to me a week for a bread product to start going moldy doesn't seem that outlandish.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Pick posted:

I got a rotisserie chicken today, and I'll stand by the stance that they're not that great but they're a loving great value.

I feel like Costco rotisserie chickens are basically the same as just about every other rotisserie chicken I've ever had. Which is to say totally fine but nothing special.

priznat posted:

A coworker was saying how his roommate bought a snowblower to clear their driveway from costco and will return it tomorrow.. A shameful story compounded by I don't think I've ever even seen a snowblower for sale at Vancouver area costcos so was probably a flat out lie anyway.

That seems like a whole lot of effort and hassle to do something that'll take ten minutes with a shovel. Unless they have a manor estate with a mile long driveway and in that case, why wouldn't you just keep it?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Oh I'm well aware of how great a snowblower is and had to do my share of suburban driveways by hand growing up. I just don't understand why you'd go through all that trouble to do it once. If it rarely snows, just shovel by hand. If you need a snowblower, buy a snowblower and keep it.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

GORDON posted:

Things to put Bitchin' Sauce on:

GO

I am still a fledgling in my Bitchin' Sauce career so have really only put it on toast at this point but it performs more than admirably at that job.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Orvin posted:

I finally found the Bitchiní Sauce when I was at a different Costco than usual. Just as good as everyone here made it out to be. Itís just kinda odd that a Costco less than 10 miles away from my usual place carries it.

Also in good news, is that in the future, I will be less than 2 miles away from a Costco. The neighboring town had a press release that they are working to get a Costco into a vacant K-Mart building. It being in Naperville, IL, I wonder how busy it will be. Canít be as bad as the Oak Brook location which is almost always super busy.

It's Naperville, home of the idle semi-rich and stay-at-home Moms. It will always be busy, even though there's already one Costco in town.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

If you want the skinny you should stay away from those French Cheese Bites!

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

TraderStav posted:

You have no idea, brother.

Have you consider, I dunno, eating vegetables?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Chinatown posted:

Grabbed a jar of the minced California garlic this weekend. Its great.

100% agree. I'm usually the first person to bang the drum of "fresh garlic or no garlic" and I'll still shout that from the rooftops for any "serious" cooking, but man it is so nice to have a limitless supply of minced garlic sitting around for immediate use. It's great for cooking some eggs or stir fried vegetables where I'd normally forego garlic because it takes longer to peel/mince or peel/clean the press.

I haven't bothered to look at the shelf life but hopefully it lasts a while and just loses some potency with age. I'm going through it at a decent pace but even so the jar is huge and I'm sure it'll take me a year+ to get through it.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The convenience is nice, but I just don't trust it to be sanitary.

I think whatever they pack it in (vinegar?) does an acceptable job of fending off the botulism (while at the same time leeching out the flavor). I also try and be careful about not putting anything in the jar that isn't clean but I've only had my jar for a few months so who knows how well that will or won't work long term. Even if it goes to poo poo, it was all of $6 so whatever.

If I wasn't lazy I'd buy a bunch of garlic and mince/freeze in single portions. But I'm lazy.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Chinatown posted:

What I'm saying is that I save enough money buying Costco vs brand name gas that it pays for my membership fee. A rough calculation shows I save around $250-$300 annually over going to Shell or wherever.

I hesitate to even bring up the whole gas thing again but even if I drove nearly enough to save that much money over other gas stations I'd still almost never go to Costco for gas. I know everyone has a different experience but my store is always, always, always such a long wait for gas it's never worth my time to save the few bucks over somewhere else.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Lots of good dogs being posted, many thanks

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

AF posted:

Non-ironically: Metamucil is the poo poo. Yea you might look goofy to your roommates or whoever saying it's for olds but if you're eating garbage, that stuff will keep things moving and in great shape. We're talking one wipe sessions. Mayo Clinic says it's safe to take everyday too

100% agree, there's no better cure for a terrible diet than Metamucil. It's the best.

That being said, maybe eat the occasional vegetable too.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Pick posted:

olive oil I don't understand. Oil is flavorless. I've never been able to taste an oil. So what matters about oil other than its smoke point or w/e?

lol what, oil is definitely not flavorless

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Xaris posted:

while i like them, and they could be a little bigger with the bowl/noodles (220 cal is nice but i wouldn't mind if it was like 300 for a still light-lunch, i imagine most of that is the oil). my biggest gripe is it's like 50000 packages to unwrap and it feels stupidly wasteful. like there's packaging for the bowl, packaging for the noodles, packaging for the packaging of seasonings inside of it. it's kind of comical.

my insta-noodle stuff is mostly the Ning Shim Black ramen cups, they're really good.

My goto Ramen is the Shim Black in the typical ramen packages, which also has a lot of packaging. Main packaging then three packets inside for vegetables and seasonings.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Just got back from the 'co. I got some of those Tasty Bite Indian food pouch things because I don't trust the ones that I have that expired in November even though they are probably fine. I had them high up in my cupboard so I forgot about them. Those things last over a year so that sucked.

About 90% of people there had masks which was refreshing. It was a little busy for a Tuesday at noon but everyone was doing a really good job of social distancing. My state has been pretty chuddy ever since we turned red when Walker took over (bitch is gone now) but it seems people are really taking this seriously now, besides the protest.

I assume those pouches will outlast the cockroaches in nuclear winter for the most part.

Just had the madras lentils one over some rice and a fried egg with some hot sauce for lunch. Had the rice already cooked so it was like 5 minutes start to finish for a delicious lunch.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Holy crap-o-ly are you people giants? I'm 6'2 and wear a 34w 32l pants. You either are all over 7ft tall or are really into rockabilly and need that fuckin :siren:MEGA CUFF:siren:

Pretty sure you're the one with the weird proportions, 32 inseam at 6'2 isn't very typical

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

I wonder if Cotton Hill would have shopped at Costco

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Suspect Bucket posted:

The calaphon toaster with convection is working really well for me 5 months on. Very glad to have it, as my big oven is terrifying and makes the entire apartment 10 degrees warmer. I use this toaster to do everything from bake bread, to dehydrating fresh herbs, to making big casserole tray bakes. If you have an oven you hate, this little toaster is great.

I was wringing my hands about buying a toaster oven for a long time (will I use it, will it gather dust and take up space, is it that much better than an oven) and holy poo poo, this might be the best appliance purchase I've ever made. I bought a Breville on deep discount and I use it almost daily. It's perfect. Takes like 10% as long as my large oven to heat up and holds temperature a million times better. It's so nice.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

JK Fresco posted:

Those old plasmas are pretty legendary for image quality. Even now it's hard to match them without going into the Oleds

I bought the last iteration of a 60" Panasonic plasma and it is absolute gorgeous. I will be so sad when it dies on me.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

large hands posted:

Yeah I might try that or a reverse sear in the oven if my anova ever breaks but I can get them so juicy sous vide I'll never go back voluntarily.

I feel like once you sous vide pork chops you'll never go back to cooking them any other way.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

I am going to sous vide some copper river salmon (from Co, of course) tomorrow night. 30-40 minutes or so at 112, blast it on the cast iron for a minute. Absolutely delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

pnumoman posted:

Finally made it out to a Costco with alcohol and picked up some of the Kirkland margarita with tequila. It's tasty, but not mind blowing. For the convenience and the price though, I'll happily drink it all summer. I'm glad I took a leap of faith and bought a few bottles, the first one I opened is going quick.

My experience as well. I'm not a Margarita aficionado by any stretch so hey, $8 for something that is tasty and all you have to do is pour over some ice, I like it.