Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

poisonpill posted:

What’s the scoop on Costco furniture? It doesn’t seem like a great deal for the couch or tables or bed frames really. They’re not super quality materials but they also aren’t like IKEA cheap.

I have quite a bit of Costco furniture and like it. When I've gone shopping for furniture at furniture stores I usually end up with a mix of pretty mediocre, but cheapish stuff, and super overpriced "style" stuff. Costco tends to hit the sweet spot for decent quality for a fairly reasonable price in my experience. Of course, selection is mediocre at best, so if you don't like one of the two couches they have in January you gotta wait until July.

We used to have a Costco furniture store near Seattle ten years ago. Pretty nice place, but the selection was obviously directed at the type of people who view their house as a mini-Versailles rather than the more general market stuff the warehouses sell.

GI_Clutch posted:

In non-peanut butter related news, I just opened the latest bag of individually wrapped chicken breasts I bought recently and it appears they changed up the wrapping. They seem more tightly vacuumed and there appears to be two levels of sealing around the edges. These might be safe to thaw in the sink without worrying about leakage.

I wonder if they'll sous vide like that? The old style opened up about 50% of the time when I threw them in the water straight out of the freezer.

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Feb 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Bummey posted:

I eat in my car. I'm not sitting at those crowded tables and getting run into by people who can't control their boat sized carts.

It didn't occur to me until just now, but I cannot even recall the last time I sat at one of the tables. Always in the car or rarely walking around the store if I'm starving when I arrive. I can't even fathom why I'd want to sit down in the store outside of specific circumstances (waiting for tire installation, etc.).

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Every time I see Costco trying out some dumb new food in the food court (Cheeseburgers, sandwiches, etc.) I just think of how much easier it would've been to bring back the polish dog :(

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

StupidSexyVaultGuy posted:

Anyone have any experiences with those TCL TVs?

TCL is a pretty good value, but its worth mentioning that Costco only carries the 4-series and 5-series rather than the more highly regarded (and pricier) 6 series.

There's a TV thread that might be helpful:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3523461

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

LadyPictureShow posted:

My faith in the church has been shaken, friends. I was out of protein powder, and the 'co had a big ol' tub on sale. This kind:

How bad could it be?

It's loving disgusting. And instead of being white like most vanilla protein powder comes out, it was an incredibly unsettling shade of baby-poop green once I added my almond milk.

I have 25 servings left, and by God I will power through them somehow. I should probably try doctoring it by tossing in a banana or peanut butter powder.

As long as you have more than 50% left they'll take it back without issue.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

LadyPictureShow posted:

Now that I know I can bring it back instead of just powering through it, I'm going to!

Thanks guys; I'm not well-versed on Costco (it was strictly Sam's Club country where I grew up)

With the exception of electronics (90 days) their return policy is really liberal. My understanding is that food needs to have more than 50% left. Other than that they're pretty liberal. I'm not sure how they deal with stuff without tags or original packaging, but I believe they will take it back assuming they can find it on your account. I'm always tempted to do something like buy a generator before storm season and just return it 6 months later if I don't use it.

It's probably a policy that works well for them. I buy a ton of stuff at Costco that I wouldn't buy at other stores because I know I can just return it if I change my mind or return/rebuy if it drops in price.

Here is the craziest return I've heard of:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Costco/comments/aat054/i_heard_yall_were_complaining_about_christmas/

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Grem posted:

walked out with two dish sets

Protip: Always buy one extra set of dishes than you need. You'll want them eventually when you inevitably break a few and they're cheap enough at Costco that it usually is a pretty minor issue.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Yea, we have something like this. Cheaper than a diaper genie to begin with and bags are dirt cheap and not that annoying to change. I suppose if you really hate even a tiny bit of diaper smell perhaps a diaper genie would be worth it, but you're pretty much desensitized to it once a baby starts solid foods.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

SirPablo posted:

Anyone who doesn't get a chicken when at church is a heathen.

I can't even recall the last time I bought a Costco chicken. Over five years at least, and I visit Costco weekly.

Taima posted:

I've been saying this for a while but if you do any amount of serious cooking, you should be making your own rotisserie chicken stock every couple of weeks or so. Using your own stock WILL take your cooking to the next level, and it's basically free with how cheap the Costco chickens are.

My greatest shame is that I've never gotten around to making stock, despite having plenty of chicken carcasses around to use.

The Midniter posted:

No, it's a lot cheaper in the warehouse because on the website the shipping is "included" in the sense that they just add it to the cost of the product itself and it's a large 140 lb. box so it's not cheap to ship.

Costco.com's shipping costs on furniture really kill all the deals there. Things that are both in warehouse and online are typically 30% more online. I get that drop shipping a loving couch is not cheap, but there's got to be a better way.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

punchbuggy posted:

https://www.costco.com/Ervin-6-piece-Fabric-Modular-Sectional.product.100466278.html

I saw this modular sectional that would be perfect for the kids’ hangout room for $750.00. I went home and measured to make sure it’d fit, then went back to Costco the following week—and it was not on the floor anymore. It is available online, but for $350 more ($1100). What I’m wondering is if they ship via common carrier like ups so I’d be stuck with six huge-rear end boxes to dispose, or does their delivery service haul away the empty boxes?

*looked it up, and it’s “threshold delivery.” That means they’ll pile up the boxes inside the garage if I’m home, or more likely line them up outside the front entry area, right?

If you have multiple Costco's within a reasonable distance, call your local store and ask if they have that item # in stock. They should be able to tell you if they have any, might be getting more, or if any of the other local stores have any in stock.

Furniture seems to be stocked in January and July, so if there's something you're looking for keep an eye out in those time frames. The sectionals are great deals (sitting on mine as I type this) assuming you're okay with the color and they always have one or two available.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

flashy_mcflash posted:

Is it one of those semi-prepared meals situated near the rotisserie chickens that you just have to pop in the oven? I feel like I've tried at least three of those and each time was disappointed I didn't just get the rotisserie chicken instead.

Those meals are some of my least favorite things about Costco. With the exception of the chicken fettuccine they're mostly really gross and way overpriced. "Here's some cooked pasta, that will be $4/lb please."

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Ultimate Mango posted:

I got one of those giant chicken pot pies today to bake tomorrow for pi day.

Did I make a big mistake? Interwebs reviews are... unkind.

I'm not much of a pot pie fan, but I like them a lot.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

The Hambulance posted:

Are Costco gas stations only open when the 'Co is open? Or can I fill up any time?

To add on to what other's have said, the website and app should both show exact gas station hours. Mine are open:
Mon-Fri. 6:00am - 9:30pm
Sat. 7:00am - 7:00pm
Sun. 7:00am - 7:00pm

Chinatown posted:

They are testing a LED sign board system at the San Diego Costco showing which pumps are open ahead so you dont have to worry about not seeing an open pump. Works well and speeds things up a bit.

They've added those to some of the new or recently refreshed locations in the PNW. It's a good idea, but a lot of people completely don't see them so you either have to wait for a spot to clear right in front of them or go around them and risk their wrath. Also, the LEDs they chose are the perfect colors to make the color difference almost imperceptible to the relatively large amount of people with red-green color blindness issues. I think there's an animation or icon difference, so I can figure it out, but I really have to pay attention.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Costco is kind of a mixed bag. Pricing on certain things is excellent and it makes complete sense. If you can store a chunk of paper towels or toilet paper you probably will never beat their deals. Other stuff, not so much. Electronics are all over the place. If you hunt around for a deal you can almost always beat their TV prices, for instance.

Food is almost always cheaper at Costco, from my experience. You can beat them with grocery store sales on things like chicken, hamburger, etc. The big bummer is that sometimes the sizes they sell are more than many people can use before it spoils.

With furniture its hard to judge. In my experience the stuff they carry in their stores is way higher quality than what I've seen at furniture stores. I write this sitting on a one of those reclining sectional couches. I think we paid $1300 for it and it's better than anything we found in furniture stores for under $2000. Downside is that you're stuck with the colors their buyers chose.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

FizFashizzle posted:

There’s a 58 inch hisense UHD at the co for 379 today only

Do I make this impulse purchase

You can frequently find the 55" TCL 6 series that everyone raves about for well under $500. A few inches smaller, but picture quality is going to probably be significantly better.

The 55" 5 series sometimes sells for less than this Hisense if you find a decent sale.

Went to Costco today. Super annoyed that they have those 32 degrees t-shirts in only white or black for men. I really like the material, and the cost is great, but even a loving gray would be an improvement.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Taima posted:

Really? Can you post a link to a historic 6 series price well under $500? The deal I just posted for the 617 for $473 is about as low as I've seen.

"Well under" may have been sounded a bit more aggressive than I meant it. I just meant not $499.99.

Looks like you're right about that being about the best price for the 55R617. I may have been thinking of the 615.
https://slickdeals.net/newsearch.php?searchin=first&vote=10&forumchoice%5B%5D=9&forumchoice%5B%5D=30&q=TCL+55R617&r=1

The 55R615 (same TV, but with an IR remote instead of RF) has been as low as $440:
https://slickdeals.net/newsearch.php?searchin=first&vote=10&forumchoice%5B%5D=9&forumchoice%5B%5D=30&q=TCL+55R615&r=1

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

KakerMix posted:

Never in mine either, but at the end of summer I'll buy up all the cool 32 shirts because for some reason my Costco DOES stock smalls in those but nobody buys them. Besides me, at deep discount, in autumn.

Just in case you want a cheap hoodie. (I had this and returned it because it was pilling a lot even without washing it, but for $10 it might be worth it)
https://www.costco.com/32-Degrees-Men's-Sherpa-Lined-Full-Zip-Hoodie.product.100414100.html

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

KakerMix posted:

Air can't be dry if there isn't much in there to begin with :eng101:

The Costco tire center guys will fill your bread bag with nitrogen to make your bread freezable.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

#48 of 48. Sad to see it go.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

binge crotching posted:

It's absolute garbage but I'm kind of sad they pulled it.

I found it comparable to domestics and the light Mexican beers. I've heard multiple breweries made it, so perhaps our west coast version was better than other places.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Xaris posted:

what's a solid blender that can really blend up frozen stuff? iirc some people were saying vitamix sucks now and to stay away.

I've had no issues with the $70 Ninja they sell at Costco, but I'm not a mixer power user. I'd give it a shot and see if it does what you need. Vitamix is typically considered the gold standard if you want to spend hundreds.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Bloodplay it again posted:

They did have an oled 55" LG on clearance for $1,400 though. Seemed like a good deal but we just got a TV in 2015 so it's hard to justify it even at that price. Anyone looking for a tv might wanna check their local warehouse.

Costco OLED prices are terrible. The 55" have been selling online for below $1k routinely in the last month or two.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Anyone else notice the 1% milk is missing from their warehouses lately? Two different stores haven't had it here around Seattle lately. Real lame since my wife thinks that 2% is tantamount to drinking straight melted butter so I'm stuck with watery non-fat.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

El Jebus posted:

Sup low milk-fat-preferring SO partner? I prefer whole so I just buy half gallons for me since I don’t drink it fast enough.

I have been mixing in heavy cream for my daily lattes, but it makes things like cereal rough.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

The Midniter posted:

My local 'Co has indeed done away with 1%, it looks like; both conventional and organic. C'est la vie.

My wife and I have been looking to replace our dishes for quite some time but hadn't been able to settle on something we both liked until we came across a Laurie Taylor set yesterday. It comes with four plates, four small plates, four small bowls, and four large bowls which is nice since we definitely didn't need any more coffee mugs. We liked them so much we got two sets in case we have people over for dinner or whatever. At $40/each they were a real bargain for the quality and look. It was available in blue and brown which were both nice but we went with the brown.

Unless you live in a place where you have major storage constraints, I'd suggest buying a third set for spares. I suppose that if you didn't really need to buy a second set you may be fine, but it's super annoying to have dishes that could last you a decade with the only issue being you dropped a couple dinner plates and now you can't have more than 4 people over for dinner.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Low milk fat milks aren't healthier for you. Drink whole milk.

You're preaching to the choir.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Before you buy a Costco sized pack of any of the allergy meds you should give them all a whirl and see what works for you. Certain people swear by loratidine, others by fexofenadine, but my wife and I have found cetirizine to be more effective for us. You want some kind of second generation antihistamine, people tend to respond a little differently to each of them.

Yes, but the Kirkland Allergy medicine is on sale until this weekend so you should buy one of each, keep them unopened and return the others once you figure out which one works best for you.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Ultraklystron posted:

Only place I could think of off hand where you night get away with it in the Puget Sound area is the glider field on Willows Road across from the soccer fields, and that assumes that neither the glider guys nor the soccer parents complain.

Weird, this is literally the first place that came to mind when I read that comment too since I start my runs there fairly often.

There's plenty of open parks and playfields you could use it at though.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

nmagness posted:

It's me, the guy who lived blocks away from a Restaurant Depot and never went because I assumed it was for business accounts only. Goddamn fool...

Wait, isn't it for business accounts only?

https://www.restaurantdepot.com/membership/signup

quote:

*Restaurant Depot is business-to-business only. To qualify for a free membership account, on your first visit you need to show a valid reseller's permit (business license) or tax-exempt certificate (for a non-profit organization) and show proof that you are authorized to purchase for said business or organization. In the following states, you also need your FEIN: CT, IN, MA and PA.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Xaris posted:

also bring back polish dog.

This. I bought a pack of polish dogs for home and have been enjoying them greatly, but I really miss getting them at the warehouse.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Chinatown posted:

Fry's Electronics is not doing well. Amazon has destroyed them and there is no such thing as "easy mode" in brick and mortar retail.

I had to drop my wife off at the airport yesterday so I dropped by Frys. I hadn't been there in a few years and it was a big shock. Way fewer people then there used to be (although it was early) and the store seemed...clean? Like, it used to be covered in products. Now there was way less stuff and it just felt kind of empty. The "deals" they have are all pretty mediocre now as well.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Renegret posted:

I dropped $100 on baby formula last week, and the baby got switched to Alimentum which Costco doesn't sell. I'm assuming that they'll give me no trouble returning it even though I didn't keep the receipt?

As long as you have the membership card you'll be fine.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

jisforjosh posted:

Wondering if it's some Texas law. I know grocery stores can't sell liquor.

[url=https://en.wikipedia.org
/wiki/List_of_alcohol_laws_of_the_United_States]
It's always some state law. Basically every state has its own unique rules with regards to alcohol sales.[/url]

Costco actually spend quite a bit of money getting liquor rules changed in my state.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

It's not pet culture, it's just dog culture, no one brings their cat to Costco

Cat people have their own special issues, but they're not as glaringly obvious to the casual observer.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

I bought a tent from Costco last year and only first set it up this weekend. There is a hole in one of the mesh screens. Is this an acceptable Costco return?

Yes.

E: f, b. Didn't see there was a new page.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Warbird posted:

How often does Costco rotate its inventory? I could have sworn they used to carry the exact brand of flea/tick and heartworm pills for our pup, but that doesn't appear to be the case anymore.

Products disappear from stores fairly constantly. If you keep your eyes open you'll see lots of items with asterisks on the price tags which indicates they will not be restocked.

Not sure if this is helpful, but a quick search popped up these two pages. If you have an item number you can call a local warehouse and they can check if they stock it or if any other stores in the area stock it.
https://www.costco.com/pharmacy/pet-medications.html
https://www.costco.com/Heartgard-Plus.product.100143718.html

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

iroc.dis posted:

Confirm/Deny: TVs from Costco are sold at such a lower price compared to other stores because they have lower quality or lower performing components from the manufacturer.

Bullshit. This myth has been around for a decade and probably much longer. These days Costco seems to mostly carry the same SKUs as other stores when it comes to TVs. Even if a manufacturer was somehow shipping different versions of the model TV it would make very little sense for Costco to get the short end of the stick. Costco warranties their TVs for at least double the time of other stores, and even more than that if you use their credit card. This gives them a lot of incentive to hold their suppliers to a high standard. They're also a huge market and I imagine ever TV maker bends over backwards to make sure their products are on the shelf.

That said, buying a TV at Costco isn't necessarily that great and the prices aren't particularly great. In some cases they're a rip off. Their OLED prices are particularly egregious. They're currently selling the 55" C series for $1750. It routinely sells for under $1200 online and sometimes as low as $999. They also make odd choices with the models they stock. For instance, they don't carry the TCL 6 series, which is basically the go-to TV for high image quality on a budget. They just started carrying the 2019 Vizio models, but they chose to go with the M557 and M657 instead of the M558 and M658. The later have much better specs (600 nits vs 400 nits, more dimming zones) and typically cost less than $100 more the the inferior models Costco chose to carry.

To go back to your original question, their are occasionally some questionable models that could be considered inferior that show up in stores. Wal-Mart carries some models exclusively that I expect are designed to target people who want the cheapest possible TV at that size. There are also models that pop up for Black Friday every year that may be engineered to be less costly.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

priznat posted:

Yeah I am not impressed by the kiosk, there is no real indication that they have your order and the mob of people just crushes up to the counter so you have to fight your way through it to claim your dog once they announce your number.

Really like most things costco related it is the terrible customers that gently caress it up.

I've had mixed results, but things have improved over time. After six months of having them here they seem be mostly dialed in and far faster than the line. My least favorite thing about them is that the order numbers aren't sequential, so you don't have any idea if your order is next or five down the line.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Taima posted:

This but the rotisserie chicken. Papa needs his cheap chicken stock. $4.99 is beyond highway robbery.

This reminds me that I bought a chicken this week and threw away the carcass because I have no idea what to do with chicken stock. Makes me feel like a monster given how many pro-stock posts I read here.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Xaris posted:

i think they sell them in the freezer/fridge section in like a 14-pack. although im not certain they are actually the same but they claim they are

They're the same. I miss the polish in the food court but they're twice as good cooked on a grill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Costco take and bake pizza is one of my least favorite pizzas I've ever had. I'd probably take a $3 Red Barron pizza over it.