Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I went to Costco yesterday and they had those Merino wool hiking socks. I probably have 10 pairs but I picked up 6 more. I love those things. I wear them year round.

I love those things. They are the most breathable and wicking socks ever AND they don’t have a stupid extra inch of foot space so that you have to pull the heel turn up to your ankles to have a bunch-free sock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical

Enos Cabell posted:

Do they ever have those in women sizes? I love mine, but my wife has tiny feet and I think even the small mens would be too big for her.

I'm a women's 7 1/2 and they fit perfectly with a good amount of hug to them, I can see them fitting 6s without being too big.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
I also have a decoy water glass that sits on the dining table because if we don't, our cat will drink from ours the moment they hit the table.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical

Bibliotechno Music posted:

Mars Cheese Castle! I’m in Chicago, so every time I go up north the Castle is my favorite roadstop.

Also my Costco has a truly amazing high-end cheese selection. Anyone who goes to the Damen/Clybourn store here, all the artisan stuff is on the left side of the dairy cooler, by the paneer.

I’ve never stopped at the cheese castle! Anytime I have to go to Wisconsin it’s for something sad, though.

I usually go to the Niles Costco since I’m on the north side and then I can stop at Pita Inn on the way back, but the lure of fancier cheeses might be enough to make me go south.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical

priznat posted:

My garden beds are kind of a disaster and I just want to smother the weeds basically.

Won't work. If you want to solarize, you have to put down thick black plastic, seal it up, weight it down, and cook the ground for a full year. Get yourself a dandelion fork (example) pull up everything by the root, then spray anything new that pops up with roundup.

Or just plant mint and let it engulf everything in its way.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical

redreader posted:

What apples are good right now? I asked this a couple of months ago and the answer was 'pink lady' which was very much correct. I know that apples go in and out of season though, so which ones are good right now?

Also the cuties I get have been tasteless or tasty, depending on my luck. Are they out of season too? How does fruit get sold all year 'round? Does that mean that at some point you're eating 11-month-old cold storage fruit and the next month you're eating freshly picked fruit?

Apples right now are either coming from South America via boat or are coming out of coolers that have atmospheric controls. Some apples keep incredibly well. The only thing Red Delicious is good for though is throwing.

Mostly when you're eating produce out of season is because it is being transported from somewhere that's currently in season. Some things like bananas can be picked very green and held for extremely long times before having ripening induced, but most produce is planted and harvested at varying latitudes so that there's uninterrupted supply. For example, celery is planted everywhere from Mexico to Canada, just at different times of the year. In February, it's coming from Mexico and Southern California. In August, it's coming from Canada.

Source: I work at a wholesale produce brokerage.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical

Supreme Allah posted:

moron rear end in a top hat butt bitches

No homophobic slurs in the Costco thread, please- this is a place for all people who recognize the glory of Costco. Costco loves all its members without prejudice.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical

priznat posted:

Hell yeah costco croissant & lox smoked salmon & philly cream cheese is the bomb sandwich. Needs something with a crunch but they don’t have capers there (which I don’t like anyway). Perhaps some kind of pickle slices.. hm more research required.

Pickled red onions, my friend.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical

Rugged, can play media, light, smallish, inexpensive.

LOL, good luck.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
Make sure you’re sticking the edge of the bag down into the little slot.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical

The green slot? It's not very deep. The instructions that came with it was one quick start sheet with like 6 steps on it. I had to look up the manual online.

Yeah, there’s a little drip tray that you need to either perfectly center your cut edge on or bend the bag down into. Bending the bag is way easier.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
Goddamn, man, the poor gas station attendant has to work outside in literal brain melting temperatures in Oregon right now. There's almost no way that he's not having heatstroke symptoms. Try having just a tiny bit of empathy.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical

Tell me about these pickle chips.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
I don’t know if you’ve been off of the planet for the last 18 months, but the just in time supply chain is very broken right now. Getting things off of boats is hugely backlogged, and ground shipping is costing 2-3 times what it did before COVID, that’s before the jump in price for refrigerated freight. You can’t even book train cargo space unless you’re a large scale buyer with planning running a month + in advance. They’ll give you pricing, just no availability.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
Dark chocolate covered nuts- high in vegetable oils and calories, still feels like eating candy. If you get ones with quality chocolate you'll fill up the chocolate urge quickly.

I sometimes replace up to 1/3 of the flour in my scones with almond meal, plus use sliced almonds as one of the mix-ins- it makes a heartier breakfast that's not just sugar + more sugar, plus keeps the dough tender!

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
Bring back almond poppy seed muffins, you cowards. Apple crumb is nothing in comparison.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
My parents buy theirs through the dealer program. You pretty much tell them what kind of car you want and they shop around for a decent, if not the best deal. You could probably find what you're looking for a little bit cheaper if you do your own legwork, but the convenience is worth it for them.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
Do you not tuck your pants into the boot when you go outside?

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
That orange bag is rebranded Taste of the Wild Salmon and it will make your cat ridiculously soft and shiny.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
This is all paper products, there's serious issues in all kinds of paper manufacturing right now. Everyone is sending out kinda crappy versions of whatever because the alternative is nothing.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
I have one, it’s great! I live in Chicago in an old building with building controlled water baseboard heaters and it really saved me the 3 times in one month that the heat went out.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
It’s 40 minutes to either of 2 locations for me and I just plan on a once a month pilgrimage. I do any suburban errands that have built up while I’m out there.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
It’s most likely a UPS thing. I’m sure if you complain that Costco will apologize or throw you a gift card, but shipping times are up everywhere and are more unpredictable in the small home deliveries area. I would suggest that you allow way more time for shipping literally anything and if it’s a need-it-now situation, go to a physical store and buy it in person.

Edit: Costco and other DCs don’t bring their packages to carriers, the carriers pick up from them. Sometimes you just don’t get allocated a truck even if one was scheduled. People call off, the driver is over their allowed drive time, yesterday’s loads roll over into today, that truck’s previous unload took longer than allotted and then they can’t make it to the new shipper during their open hours. Logistics is a never ending game of jenga that occasionally crashes in spectacular fashion.

Hutla fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 12, 2022

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
Buy the knockoff rolls and never waste a half a bag again.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
I'm having the biryani for lunch today! It's very fragrant-I added some raw spinach and frozen peas to it to pretend like it's better for me.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
Oh my god, please do not diy a massage gun out of power tools when there are perfectly good knockoffs on Amazon for $40.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
Rolled under a car seat?

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
Yo, you need to wear some sunscreen, bro. Fortunately, Costco has you covered with it's convenient multipacks.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
We just bought the flip up Ninja combination toaster oven and air fryer and it's awesome. We were coming from a nearly 20 year old toaster where the darkness setting was a mere suggestion, though. Will it be toast or will it be bread? Who knows!

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
Kimchi doesn't expire, it just gets better and then you chop it up for kimchi fried rice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
If you want to go Sunday Roast style, cut little slits in the leg and put in slivers of garlic. Make a really sticky paste of more garlic, salt, oil, and rosemary and slather it on. Roast at a high heat until medium rare, it's amazing and makes great leftover sandwiches.