Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

I'm pissed that they ruined the soy milk. Now it's soy drank and bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Yea but it's like when the cheese is rebranded as "modified food product". Same effect too: it's horrible.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

No. But the $120 fee for executive is "free" if you spend $6000 a year at Costco -- executive comes with a 2% back rebate.

$500/mo average is reasonable to hit with basic groceries and the occasional appliance. If you have a family it's incredibly easy.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Costco only sells pre-trimmed celery for $4.50 :mad: it's like $1.50 for a big bunch / stalk at the grocery store.

The celery is delicious, tho.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Costco has great deals on already-expensive name brand stuff, but if youíre cost-sensitive, Aldiís has much less expensive staples and snacks.

For reference:
S&W black beans: $8 for 8 cans
Dakota Pride (Aldi brand): $0.60 per can

And basically that forever. 67% markup is severe ó not to mention the fact that you donít need to buy 8.

And yesterday I bought $300 worth of Samsonite luggage at Costco so whatever, man.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Kirkland frozen pizza is trash. The food court pizza is amazing. :iiam:

Bellatoria thin crust is my fav frozen pizza brand, but only on sale.

The cheap pizzas go like (imo): Jacks > Roma > Tombstone

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Helium is also literally the most slippery molecule in he universe and will diffuse through 30 feet of glass in a surprisingly short amount of time.

Itís a neat idea except your tires would be flat in maybe four miles. I mean... pressurized, heated up helium held in by a 4Ē rubber/steel barrier isnít going to do anything.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Coredump posted:

Helium or Hydrogen will diffuse like that?

You made me look up scholarly articles about the diffusion of hydrogen and helium :byoscience:

Hydrogen will diffuse through metal better than helium despite H2 being physically larger than He because it can (briefly) disassociate into 2 H which allows the gas to pass through a crystalline metal structure.
http://www.energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2014/03/f10/pipeline_group_feng_ms.pdf

Helium will slowly diffuse through most polymers due to imperfections in the polymer lattice. Itís the smallest stable molecule. This is why balloons donít last years. I couldnít find anything seriously studying this, but I have a friend whoís working with liquid helium for orbital telescope stabilization and heís always bitching about containment issues. Iíd assume itís harder to contain due to the greater pressure difference (near vacuum outside) and imperfect sealing (plethora of gaskets).

Regardless, both are probably pretty bad for inflating tires. 30 feet of glass would very likely hold helium for a long time xD that was some serious hyperbole.

DNK fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jun 7, 2018

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Brazil has a crazy amount of protective tariffs on finished good imports.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Really well. We buy a big one and then chop it up into ~6x4Ē sections to throw into sandwich bags in the freezer. You donít need to super storage it if youíre gonna eat it within ~2mo.

When you wanna cook some you can just throw it in a covered pan with some olive oil and cook it on med for ~12min. Super easy. About halfway through ó just before flipping ó generously pepper / lightly salt. After flipping, do the same again.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

FogHelmut posted:

I remember back in 2010 or so my buddy was trying to figure that out since Sodastream's whole gimmick is ripping you off on the CO2 canisters.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Razor_and_blades_model

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Yea itís really good. The Kirkland marinara is also extremely good. Picking between the two is like 51 Victoria - 49 Kirkland.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

I had a flat tire and Costco repaired it for $10 total while I shopped. PBUC

I thought Iíd need a brand new tire (and therefore several brand new tires).

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

:bisonyes:

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

First time I used the kiosk, I stared at all the options with choice paralysis despite knowing the entire menu by stomach.

Second time I ordered my slice of pizza and paid for it by walking past without stopping. I think theyíre great.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Xaris posted:

their beer was undrinkable, even by keystone lite et a. standards, but i hear they've got rid of it

https://youtu.be/eHRNzj_G7Us

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

fwiw, my global operations strategy professor was saying the TP shortage had very little to do with supply chain failure and everything to do with product/customer alignment.

The immediate and severe demand reduction in ďcommercialĒ toilet paper (businesses, restaurants, hotels, etc) put commercial TP manufacturing on hold while domestic TP (plush, five-ply, soft, whatever) was ridiculously under capacity.

Then it became a bit of a self-fulfilling phenomenon where as soon it was hinted that there was a supply shortage, a run on TP began which amplified the manufacturing product/customer mismatch; supply chains had to be rerouted and lower-grade, unbranded TP had to be parceled out from 40-pack boxes into 6-pack shrink and logistics shifted from Sysco to Kroger (etc).

There will probably be a HBR case study about it for future SCO peeps to write papers about.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Bring combo back, sign the petition: http://chng.it/JjZxWXDm7c

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

The Balvenie scotch is really freakin good. Highly recommend.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

I really like the Victoria White marinara. Kirkland marinara is good but not great. Just bought the Cleveland-made one; Iíll try the Rao at some point.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

canyoneer posted:

Went to the 'co today and saw these absolutely adorable plush dog chew toys in the shape of Costco food court items (pizza, hot dog, soda, and something else)

No one mentioned this ó probably because theyíre still on their first purchase of it ó but buy the 2-pack of Saran / plastic wrap. The wrap itself is maybe only slightly superior to other brands, but the dispenser / housing for the wrap is completely game changing.

Seriously, does Costco have a patent on the box design? Itís ridiculous how ownage that is compared to any other plastic wrap.

edit: it comes in a 2-pack so you can give one to a friend to convert them.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

I bought 12 jars of Raos while it was on sale. Gotta stock up.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Ego brand battery-powered lawn tools are loving ownage. I own a lawn mower, snowblower, string trimmer, and leaf blower. All of them work flawlessly with fantastic power.

I have the dual-battery lawn mower and it easily clears my 3/4acre lawn without needing to stop.

Iíd be careful about other brands. Not that theyíre bad... just do a lot of research beforehand.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

iirc they have a lifetime warranty. Thatís what youíre paying for.

L.L.Bean for your rear end

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Goodpancakes posted:

I'm from a small Midwestern town without gas price variability. Virtually every place has the same price. But now I'm in SoCal and you can find places with $1.50 more per gallon. People still pumping it. I don't understand it.

They donít care about the price. The difference between a $150 fill and a $120 fill is irrelevant to them, and the time spent optimizing gas station pricing isnít worth it.

Also maybe the like the higher pricing because it keeps the people who are penny pinching away and is some kinda money flex. Maybe the gas station is nicer. Idk. Mostly I think itís the first point about them just being price insensitive.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Probably a price mistake but people are getting them delivered with no issues as of 2 min ago. Sadly none in my area but worth a shot if you want an extra controller

https://slickdeals.net/share/iphone_app/t/15845050

Worked for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

I love Costco but the Frozen Kirkland Pepperoni Pizza is garbage. This makes me sad.

(Minnesota) Value Brand S-Tier:
Roma (Bernatellos), Jacks (Kraft)

(Minnesota) Premium Brand S-Tier:
Lotta Motzza (Bernatellos); Bellatoria (Bernatellos)

Basically Bernatellos, a high-volume local pizza maker, fuckin owns and 3/5 of their brands on both the low ($2.50/ea) and high end ($7.50/ea) command respect. Jackís by Kraft is thrown in there because itís solid and likely a regional brand. Kirkland Frozen might be a good choice if u live in a frozen pizza wasteland.