Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Converted to the faith last week.

Wasn't going to buy anything (the cupboards are full) but ended up walking out with a pressure cooker, towels, salt beef brisket, and a 6 pack of malbec.

Need to find somewhere in my flat to hide a chest freezer, then return.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

kynikos posted:

I work at a university and the student store recently added a ton of Costco items available for purchase:

Costco has spread in your lands! Converting will produce +1 happiness in all cities. Would you like to adopt this new creed?

drat. I could not find those peanut butter pretzel bites (2nd bottom shelf, right end) when I went to costco.

Anybody know where they're usually hiding?

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Grem posted:

Holy gently caress you get baked potatoes?!

Welcome to England where baked potatoes are a 'meal'

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Went to church today. Instapots £10 off the already cheap 'co price, bought one last month so I bought one for a buddy.

Also bought a bunch of nappies for a baby I don't have yet as they were cheap. But I think I only got discounted on one box. Not both, need to ring them up and see why.

Had a dog for the first time. drat. But the pepperoni slice, even better. Dog needs more onions. There's no onion bucket in the UK.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

What's the deal with all the coats at the co?

They're all ladies. The wife got a nice Kirkland one, and now I want one. Just not in the ladies cut.

Literally all the coats in the shop were ladies. Not a men's rack to be seen.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Does the co sell the pepperoni they put on their slice?

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

uli2000 posted:

Ill be in London next month and gonna hit up the 'Co up near Wembley (since it's the only one remotely close to a Tube station) to expand my Costco culinary horizons with a shepard's pie and a jacket potato.

Enjoy the walk from Wembley or Neasden and saviour everything suburban London has to offer.

Or catch an Uber from the station... I’d get an Uber.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

binge crotching posted:

Or just take the Midlands service to Watford and go to the UK Costco HQ. Might as well get the full service treatment when you're there

Hm. Watford isn’t that much further from me than Wembley. Might head out there when the car is fixed.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Phylodox posted:

Yesterday I bought one of the Queen size plush blankets and it absolutely blows the Sherpa away. It says Queen size, but the loving thing dwarfs my Queen size bed. It’s super warm, but it breathes, so you don’t get all sweaty and gross underneath it. I had so much trouble getting out of bed this morning, I just wanted to live underneath that blanket forever.

The Kirkland brand blankets? I got one of those before reading about the Sherpa. Can concur it is huge, It dwarfs my super king bed and weighs more than my 13tog duvet. It is the best.

The wife is pregnant so is constantly hot and needs the fan on, and sleeps without any sheets. I sleep with the blanket folded over double and then another blanket on top.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

My car is broken, my wife just had a baby, and I can’t drive. The £1.50 dog with free refill is just out of reach.

But not all is lost. My buddy got a letter in the post inviting him to join the church, despite not being eligible for membership.

He’s bringing me a Kirkland wedge of Romano cheese as a Christmas present and has offered to take me to the Co in the ny.

PBUC. The lord works in mysterious ways.

Now if only the co could fix my car, make the kid independent, and get me a drivers license.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Friend got me a jug of the Kirkland premixed margarita.

Not bad at all. Little tequila taste, lemony, and undertones of orange. Not just alcoholic lime juice like you get at some bars.

Poured myself a pint glass of it thinking it’d be weak, turns out it’s 17%. Had to sneak into bed a little more tipsy than intended, not meant to be getting drunk with the newborn around.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Gatts posted:

"WIN! BUT WIN IN BULK! Just need a Costco Membership!" with rooms more luxurious but cheaper than what's around it.
Costco would be a hostel. Entire rooms 10% more expensive than the nearest hotel, but have six beds in each instead of one.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Costco UK is bringing fuel to this wonderful island.

Another reward when I finally get the car fixed.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Rutibex posted:

what is their target market for this thing, eccentric penny pinching millionaires that shop at costco?

Millionaires who have yet to drop the prenup on their spouse to be.

PBUC that returns policy.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Took the new car to church today with the new baby.

Baby fuckin loves the co. All smiles all the time.

Had a slice, dog and chicken bake between the mrs and I.

Chicken bake is pretty good. Foot long, full of meat and cheese, perfect for a hangover.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

RJWaters2 posted:

Has anyone tried the Kirkland golden margarita? It's on sale for 8 bucks almost a 2 liter

Have posted about it before. It’s pretty good, have paid £15 for a glass that was nowhere near as good in bars.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Harton posted:

Margarita is good but it can get problematic quickly. Once you hit the stage where your not pouring drinks anymore and just sucking it out of the bottle your gonna be waking up with some headaches.

It’s a double edged sword. I had a poo poo day doing interviews on Friday, came home and was able to immediately have a pint of perfectly mixed drink before I even had time to put my keys down.

But yes, one pint lead to the next, and its 12% and Saturday was not fun.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

I live close to both Costco Wembley and Costco Watford (UK). Today I went to Watford.

Holy poo poo. Watford is a loving mad max post apocalyptic hellscape where anybody under the age of 50 has died. It’s a little bigger than Wembley, but has five times the people, who are all poo poo at trolleys, and get lovely at the staff when their trolleys get moved. And this is early morning on Friday. Hate to see it on the weekends.

Wembley on the other hand has been nice. Not too busy, pleasant customers.

Still haven’t found the Kirkland peanut butter pretzel things at either, starting to think they’ve been banned from our shores. Also can’t find the hot dogs. Saw them once but never again.

Also, got some Kirkland glasses. Very nice, very cheap.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

a hole-y ghost posted:

I thought only dentists and barristers could shop there in the UK or whatever

And business owners (me), public sector, anyone in medical or finance, and I think they also send out invites.

Meydey posted:

When I was visiting the UK last October we went to the Reading Costco. It seemed very low key and relaxed.
Please explain Tuna on a Jacket Potato. (The food court chicken sandwich was glorious though)

It’s a baked potato, with tuna? I have no idea why but this country thinks that’s a meal. Actually, anything on a baked potato is a meal.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Does the co publish nutritional information on their products?

There’s none on the packaging of any of their prepared in store food, and no signage in the food court.

I know 1.5kg of lasagna is making me fat, I just want to know how fat :(

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Renegret posted:

It's on there. It's on the same label as the ingredients, it's just written on there like a sloppy narrative instead of a nice chart.

Nope. Not in the U.K. at least. Just the ingredients and cooking instructions.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

So I went to costco on the weekend and the food court was closed for renovations, and now i'm wondering if it was because they are rolling out a new menu or something.

Exciting.

They’re enlarging the onion buckets for the onion salad eaters.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

I hope they’re shipping your confiscated onion dispensers to the UK.

It’s our turn to be disgusted by onion thieves and Korean salads.

[e] wife has decreed a trip to the co is in order. Looking like a great weekend already.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Malah posted:

I've applied for a job at my local Costco!! I wonder what it's like on the other side of the counter.

The trolley??

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

luchajones posted:

I dont want a reversible belt!

Just buy one and never reverse it? It’s not like it’s going to suddenly turn from black to brown mid-meeting and expose your lack of fashion sense to the office.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

You felt guilty about two dogs? And here I am eating a chicken bake and a dog whenever I go to the co.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

I bought a kilo of butter. And I can’t loving find it.

How the poo poo do you lose a kilo of butter?

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

I took two of the large contigo insulated bottles to Singapore earlier this year.

Would get the hotel bar to fill them with ice and water in the morning, and they’d be barely drinkable in the evening as it was still that cold.

Which was great. Sensitive teeth be damned. I’d take dry ice intravenously if it would cool me down there.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Chinatown posted:

Um there were 30 people for dinner (there was also a turkey and a ham) and everything got carved and devoured in 30 minutes. Not a morsel of roast was left.

When there are no leftovers, you have not cooked enough.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Fallom posted:

Costco pizza rates a 4/10 but the only thing that beats the $2.50 slice + drink combo is the dog

8/10 imo. But not many places in the U.K. do a decent pan pizza. So their competition isn’t hard to beat.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

e.pilot posted:

I see you live in a dying small town.

There’s two sit down pizza huts with buffet in central London.

:ghost: town indeed :brexit:

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

The church failed me this weekend.

I ripped a tyre open last week when I pinched a loose screw between the tyre and kerb.

Ordered a set of replacement rear wheels online to get fitted a week later on good Friday and they never arrived. Had to come in and sit in a queue like a pleb getting whatever they had in stock fitted.

The whole Costco online thing seems very half baked.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Got a 2.7kg topside for 4 people tomorrow. regretting not getting a rib roast. Live and learn.

tangy yet delightful posted:

Decided to try the boneless lamb leg for xmas this year. Gonna sous vide it so I can oven cook the sides (Brussels sprouts and potatoes - not cooked together). Pretty excited but I was perhaps more excited to be at Costco without a cart on such a packed day. Parked on the side of the building and was in/out in 10 minutes.
Good luck, hopefully your cut is fresh.

In my experience, Lamb does not vizzle well. Amps up the funk factor by 100.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Electric is the way, man. I wonder how long it’ll take until Costco starts installing DC fast chargers on site.

Wembley (UK) has a load. Never seen them used.

Horse Clocks fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Noslo posted:

Really? I do lamb ribs in the vide and they come out amazing, almost like the consistency of pulled pork.

Salt, pepper, 2 rosemary sprigs, 2 garlic gloves. 8 hours. Idr, the temp, but it's low. Pretty much just how you would do a steak.

Admittedly, I’ve only done it with UK supermarket British lamb, which is pretty much garbage tier. But I’ve never had any luck with it.