Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Hey Costco goons, quick question:

I don't have a car anymore so I let my membership lapse, but I need to get a new TV soon, and probably something nicer than the lovely thing I got for $200 six years ago.

My question is if there's enough savings on any given nice-ish Costco tv to justify getting a new membership that I might use once or twice more over the course of the year, if I'm lucky. Meaning, do you save $50 (or more) by buying a tv from Costco?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

I know this is about half a year late but I need to mourn the loss of Costco pesto :smith:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Enos Cabell posted:

Looks like the Foodsaver vacuum sealer is $50 off next week. I foresee large quantities of smoked meats in my future.

I'm not good at navigating the Costco site; is it the cheaper one that's going on sale? So after $50 off it's more like $30?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Xaris posted:

in addition TJ doesnt have halloumi this year which was a key ingredient for a lot of my keto dishes :sigh:

If you live somewhere with Latin groceries/cheeses, panela is a grilling cheese pretty dang close to halloumi.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

FCKGW posted:

Your membership expired, what's unfair about paying for a renewal to keep using it?

Nothing unfair. They're saying that with this Costco will automatically ding you annually instead of manually at the register when you go to check out with an expired card.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Covid has put a weird bottleneck on appliances. Both my parents and my aunt had their refrigerators die this month and there's weeks of lead time. Aunt is waiting an extra week or so for hers to get it in white.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

The 'co is my shepherd; I shall not want.
It maketh me to walk by the electronics section: it leadeth me beside pallets of clothing.
It restoreth my refrigerator: it leadeth me on the path to ravioli lasagna for goons' sake.
Yea, though I walk through the aisles void of samples, I will fear no evil: for thine gold star membership card be with me; thine hot dogs and refillable sodas they comfort me.
Thou preparest a warehouse near me in the presence of thine big box competitors: thou anointest my receipt with highlighter; my shopping cart runneth over.
Surely bulk purchases and coupon mailers will follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell within a reasonable radius of a Costco location for ever.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

StormDrain posted:

Got a dog tho!

I've been thinking of doing that, but the 18-puppy variety pack just feels like a bit much.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

redreader posted:

I don't want to tape over the outflow valve. My friend who has been going to costco says that costco makes you tape over the outflow valve. I am asking if wearing a second mask covering the valve would be good enough, or if they will still make me tape over the valve.

Can they even see it under the other mask?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

I've gotten good reviews from friends; the main thing holding me back is kitchen space and if I were to sacrifice any more of it I'd probably get an instant pot first.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

I thought most of the sample people weren't actually Costco employees, rather reps for whatever they're hawking, or at least some of them are.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Lazyhound posted:

I bought a SodaStream and now I drink a litre of tonic water a day.

*Club soda

Tonic water is different, has something weird in it that I don't understand that also gives it as many calories as normal soda.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Ah, my bad!

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Grand Fromage posted:

I lived in China for four years and I am one of the two people I know who likes (some) mooncakes. The other person is also American.

I studied Chinese in university, and first year the professor brought in moon cakes for cultural education. I didn't hate it but I found it unreasonably heavy for how much I (kind of?) liked it.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Whoever got that Tonkotsu-ramen-on-sale conversation going, thank you. As a ramen nerd and a spendthrift, that poo poo had no right to be as good as it was and I'm happy I grabbed three of them. Go Nongshim. But also go Samyang, because my chapel had 40 packs of buldak fire noodles for like $35, which is a much better price than I can get even at Korean supermarkets.

My revelation this time was Losko fans. I was coming back into southern California anticipating bad heat with broken A/C and I thought $40 seemed like a bit much for a fan, but that thing is powerful as hell and I didn't realize how much I wanted my fan to have a remote control. Rejoice.

Still coming up with goose eggs on the Bitchin Sauce.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Hm. I got the San Antonio Farms Tomatillo and Hatch Chile Salsa Verde. Haven't tried it yet; fingers crossed. I do love that the ingredients section specifies that the jalapeños and chipotles* were NOT grown in New Mexico.

*which are just smoked jalapeños come on guys

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

StormDrain posted:

From a photo of the food court I took this year, a whole cheese pizza is 4,250 cals, and a whole pep is 3,650cals.

So... Eat up Johnny!

You'll only gain a pound from those numbers, that's nothing!

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Finally had a steak as per this thread's advice. That is, once you go Prime you never go back.

Oh good lord do I hate you guys. It tasted halfway between butter and the Platonic ideal of steak. I guess $40 for 6 steaks isn't too bad if I have one per month, but I still feel like a dweeb for needing this in my life.

As for cook style, I'm kind of lazy so I just seared/cooked it in butter with a couple sprigs of thyme in a cast iron skillet. Nice crust, nice cook, nice flavor, fine by me.

PS: I'm sorry, Britain. :britain:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

(No joke, my mom requires shoe leather and it drives me nuts, that's a great solution.)

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

It's not Costco but Tapatio makes decently tasty ramen bowls so I'm willing to believe in their mixed nuts.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

FCKGW posted:

You can have you plus one other person. They're supposed to be in the same household but I don't think they care too much.
https://customerservice.costco.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/853/~/how-many-people-can-be-on-my-costco-membership%3F

When I went to do this for a roommate they required a piece of mail from him to prove we had the same address. Not too hard to get around but they do check.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Definitely eat before. Costco is an expensive enough trip without shopping with your hungry stomach.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

caedwalla posted:

I actually want one but haven't been able to convince myself to pull the trigger since I live in an apartment. I yearn for the soothing embrace of a pre-warmed seat and a tiny mechanical water spout with a remote control.

I have a bidet in my Amazon shopping cart to order when I get back home to my apartment next week. The hookup to the water line looks easy enough and doesn't harm anything. I thought long and hard about getting one that does warm water but I'd have to drill a hole in the cabinet beneath the sink and it'd look pretty ugly. I might look harder for one with a battery-powered heated seat but I'll honestly just be happy to have a bidet again.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

More Amazon shopping for me then :v:

I don't know if I'll find any of that fancy stuff for <$75, which is already more than I want to spend but I'll go that high for sexycool features.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

I'm not caught up with the thread so I apologize if these have already been mentioned, but I just came across A-Sha Hakka Noodles in the ramen section. The price was right and I wasn't exactly sure what to expect from 300 calories of noodles and sauce, but I'm beyond happy with this stuff. I just have to warn that I eat habanero sauce for breakfast and even I think this stuff is pretty spicy so tread with caution, but honestly I'd dress these noodles in almost anything and be happy with it.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Xaris posted:

the a-sha hakka is definitely 10000000000000000000000% better than the a-sha tainen, wahtever you do, don't get the tainen noodles.

i didn't find them pretty spicy, i mean yeah there's a nice kick but i don't think they'd be out of any normal spicy tolerance range for coastal people. if you can eat like any old drunken noodles/pad ke mao it's not above that.

Well sure, I didn't break a sweat or anything, but my dad's straight up allergic to capsaicin so I try to be friendly :3:

(loving love these noodles, thanks for the tip)

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Martman posted:

I'm quite ignorant when it comes to noods, but what's so bad about the tainan noodles? I found them simple and pleasant; they're not blowing my mind but they also don't feel as aggressively oversalted as a lot of brands and leave me feeling just fine after.

Haven't tried them but

The sauce on the Hakka noods was pretty thin and I was surprised that I didn't need to add anything, but this here stuff looks like angel hair and I could see it just sticking together and being unpleasant.

I guess. I'm just really happy with the Hakka.

Besides all that, thanks for the tire tips! I wish I knew more about my car in general but you guys rule.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

gamera009 posted:

Sautéed greens and a fried egg are perfect with the noodles.

Also, extra hot sauce.

Yeah, I almost always end up adding something to instant noodles, usually a dash of this and that from my absurd sauce collection.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

I know I'm late on sugarchat, but I'd just like to generally point out that doctors aren't dieticians. Things like artificial sweeteners and the effects of whey protein on blood sugar levels aren't necessarily taught in med school. For example, when I asked my PCP for help/advice on losing weight, he basically just said to eat fruit instead of potato chips for snacking. Seriously. And I really like him as a doctor, too.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

pnumoman posted:

Sure, not entirely untrue, but a) your doctor is not wrong, I don't know why you're so scared of fruit unless you have something like diabetes, b) carbs are not insta-weight on your tummy, lowering your carb intake can help but just removing carbs alone doesn't mean you lose weight, c) fruit is absolutely better for losing weight than potato chips if for the fiber alone, obviously depends on the fruit, and d) the original poster was talking about his endocrinologist who treats his diabetes so, yeah, I'd like to think that doctor knows a little more than your average pcp about this poo poo.

Doctors are not infallible, but drat is there a weird strain of I-know-better going on.

I'm not saying that piece of advice was wrong, I'm saying it was literally all he had for me and it wasn't unlike the other times I've asked doctors about it, just the most recent.

Anyway sorry for the derail. For something Costco-related I'll whine about how there are no more take-home-and-bake Costco pizzas since covid. It was great to be able to cut off a raw piece of those things and bake it for lunch. It doesn't really make sense to me why they got rid of them.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

We do know certain things though, such as thermodynamics does work (count your drat calories) and also protein is important and filling. I'm not asking for much here.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

StormDrain posted:

Why do you lift your foot up? Do you need to sit higher, or is the floor too far away maybe?

I can't tell if this is a joke or not but I do the leg thing too. For the life of me I couldn't tell you why it happens, it just kind of does. I also have serious shaky leg, which might have something to do with it.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Paul MaudDib posted:

haha, you don’t know about the casket? Hey everybody this guy doesn’t know about the casket!

(funeral homes are a huge ripoff designed to extract money from grieving family and Costco’s caskets are actually a pretty solid deal, they are nice caskets and way cheaper than what you'll pay at a funeral home)

True as this may be, hermetically sealed caskets like the one in the screenshot give me the heebie jeebies.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I wasn't a fan of that Snapdragon Pho but these bibigo steamed dumplings are excellent. They come six in a tiny tray and I fill up one of the little indents with soy sauce and dip the little fellas in there. :kiddo:

My mom buys those and it makes me wish I had a microwave (not really) because it's excellent diet food. See also, forget what they're called but they have these teeny chicken/cilantro dumplings that also rule and are also not horrible for you.

Gatts posted:

Ok, so I'm a single person and the tub looks big...but is the bitchin sauce really that good? I don't know if I could finish it. It's been a month and I'm still not done with the brownies.

I am also single and I got a tub back in September. Just tossed out the last inch or so last week for getting moldy. I mostly liked dipping veggies in it, crackers also worked well, will probably get another tub next time I go to church if they have any.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

MarcusSA posted:

It’s good but not amazing.

Whole Foods has smaller tubs if you want to try the various flavors.

I saw some small tubs at Vons today and they were barely less expensive than the big guy from Costco. The flip side is there's an actual flavor selection (I have also only seen chipotle at church).

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Yeah I had a really hard time justifying eating it due to the calories.

That was a problem for me too, and a lot of why it took me so long to go through the tub, but sometimes it just really hit the spot. I felt like it was more flavorful hummus, and ofc with the calories since it's made from almonds.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Xaris posted:

sadly our costco hasn't had it in almost 2 years. maybe it sells out, idk.

Different locations just have different stock. There are three Costcos I bounce between for certain items, and only one of them carries Bitchin Sauce. It's just weird like that. One of them has an entire wall of instant ramen bowls, another only carries the Nongshim Tonkotsu and A-Sha.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Yeah that's just rear end in a top hat behavior. I mean you should probably put things on the belt as a matter of course but she was out of line there.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Propaganda Hour posted:

I bought a soundbar. It was on sale, Yamaha ATS-2090 for $199. So I guess I have one of those now.

Let us know if it's any good! All of my sound comes from my TV itself so I could probably use an upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Gaius Marius posted:

Get a real speaker set up. Speaker technology hasn't really advanced at all in the last fifty years, so go out thrifting for some loose speakers and a receiver. Guarantee even a budget 2.1 setup will sound a hell of a lot better than some lovely soundbar.

Fair enough, I haven't really looked into the things. I know how to rig up an audio setup and everything, but space is at a premium so if sound bars didn't suck it'd be a great option. Ach well.