Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bigchops
Mar 13, 2005
Biggus Choppus

Malah posted:

I've applied for a job at my local Costco!! I wonder what it's like on the other side of the counter.

I finished my first 30 days. Depends on what area you work in. If it's front end you're going to sweat and your feet will ache at the end of the day. But you at least got all your cardio in.

It feels like a good place to work. There don't seem to be any "weak links." I don't know if any others do this but mine has a 90 day probationary period and they determine if they keep you after that. And I get OT all Sunday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigchops
Mar 13, 2005
Biggus Choppus

Taima posted:

Does anyone frequent Costcos in San Jose? If so, what is the best Costco? Which is the best for ethnic options? Really hoping someone can help me out here. I love San Jose and work there, but I commute over so I don't really feel like going to all of the different Costcos to see which one is best.

Raleigh Rd. the new one is so much less busy than the others.

Bigchops
Mar 13, 2005
Biggus Choppus

Digital membership cards are coming. You didn't hear it from me.

Bigchops
Mar 13, 2005
Biggus Choppus

Someone slashed a guy's tires yesterday in the lot.

Bigchops
Mar 13, 2005
Biggus Choppus

Renegret posted:

Back when I cashiered at BJ's I hated when people did the "all barcodes up" thing trying to help. If it's <10 items it's fine, (and encouraged for heavy items or stuff on the bottom of the cart) but with too many little things it starts to get hard to keep track of what you scanned and what you didn't, which will just end up wasting time I have to double check the work. I can pack a cart faster and better than you, so just let me do it. We averaged over 100 transactions a day, so even new people found their groove pretty quick and you're usually better off not loving with people's grooves.

I was also the kind of turbo nerd who memorized UPCs/SKUs for common bottom of the cart stuff and could type the number faster than I could scan it so, maybe I wasn't representative of the average cashier.

(Bananas were 14526)

As a Costco cashier I second this. If you can comfortably grasp the item with one hand and it's not heavy, like laundry detergent, put it on the belt. Many times I have lost track of which of the 20+ items I had already scanned when my attention gets pulled away (item won't scan, tag from clothes are missing, barcodes facing the wrong way.) If it's on the other side of the scanner on the loading area, I can be absolutely sure it's been scanned. But yeah, if it's only like 6 or so items it's fine to leave them in there.

If I'm making even just one mistake every few days, I'm not going to be a cashier for very long.

Bigchops
Mar 13, 2005
Biggus Choppus

TraderStav posted:

I took a picture of my membership page in the app and sent it to a few employees so that they could enjoy communion.

Praise be

Make sure they know they can't buy anything with it. The QR codes change to prevent duplication.

Bigchops
Mar 13, 2005
Biggus Choppus

KIRKLAND BEER ALERT

I'm at the Hayward regular warehouse and there are 24 packs of Kirkland brand Citra Hop Session IPA for $19.99. I'll add photos once I'm done shopping.

Bigchops
Mar 13, 2005
Biggus Choppus

Nooner posted:

T other day the lady at the regester gave me poo poo because i paid with my credit card but the membership is in my wife's (who was there with me) name lol

Made me feel like back when i was underage and would have to go through the checkout at the market and like buy a pack of gum and get cash back to pay whoever was buying us alcohol

Was your wife next to you in line?

Bigchops
Mar 13, 2005
Biggus Choppus

thathonkey posted:

last time i used self check out at costco i forgot to scan a small item that was underneath a bunch of bigger poo poo and of course they caught it at the exit so now im thoroughly against self check outs on account of my own stupidity. using the price gun is pretty dope tho

That's exactly why there are employees there at self checkout. At ours we scan large items and double check that the item count on the receipt matches the number of items in the cart.

Anything that you can comfortably grasp and rotate with one hand goes on the belt. All other items stay in the cart. If there's a pack of batteries the member forgot about that we can't see under a layer of salads, we get in trouble for that.

Also, if you leave all your items in the basket, it makes it more difficult to see items on the bottom of the basket. Try doing 500 bodyweight squats a day and you'll see why cashiers don't want to stoop down every 60 seconds.

The exception is if you have so few items that you can clearly see around each item and can clearly tell that there's nothing underneath..

EDIT: I was making this post on my break and then I realized I was about to go over

Bigchops fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jun 26, 2021

Bigchops
Mar 13, 2005
Biggus Choppus

Bloodplay it again posted:

Hey it is no sweat off my back if you wanna scratch your own trunk with the gravel attached to the hose but the pumps here require you to physically press a safety while pumping and we don't have those extra long hoses at my 'co, so you're standing there with a short hose parked 0.5" from the pump to get it to reach. My experience stems from a pump attendant getting chewed out at a neighboring pump because the customer scratched the poo poo out of their tailgate instead of just going to a driver-side pump.

I'm jealous of the stations with the long hoses though, for sure. Here, it is people going "oops not close enough" and taking an extra 45-60 sec to turn the vehicle back on and pull forward so they can backup closer to the pump. It's much slower. Still worth saving about $0.30/gal regardless of the pump situation.

While I'm pump complaining, the worst feeling in the world is when the person who used the pump before you prints a receipt but doesn't grab it, so when you are finished filling up and decide not to get one, the pump attendant comes up to rip the previous receipt out and assumes it is yours. Feels bad.

The hoses are specifically designed not to scratch a car's paint.

Bigchops
Mar 13, 2005
Biggus Choppus

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

Anyone ever try just walking past the receipt checker person? I'd be interested in hearing how it worked out.

That's a good way to get a block on your account. They'll just watch the camera footage to see where and when you checked out and get your membership # from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigchops
Mar 13, 2005
Biggus Choppus

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

Anyone ever try just walking past the receipt checker person? I'd be interested in hearing how it worked out.

Another followup. Someone did this today. Refused to show the receipt for the merchandise they bought (it was purchased) and walked right out.

A manager and LP was called up to follow them to their car, and at their car they still refused to show their receipt. Got a picture of their license plate, but that wasn't needed since we verified that they purchased their merchandise through the security cameras.

Their membership was cancelled without refund, and since memberships are tied to your ID, they are now permanently banned from applying for a membership at any Costco.