Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

pnumoman posted:

Truly a god among men.

Now I want to try one with an Italian sausage instead of a hot dog. Is the Italian sausage an east coast thing? Don't think I've seen it out west, you guys got the late polish I believe?

Wisconsin has brats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Same. Here in Wisconsin it'd be very dangerous because snow can pile up very high on roofs. That can crash through the skylights.

they all do, They're just not big and pretty like a house's skylights so maybe you didn't notice them.

Crusty Nutsack fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Nov 3, 2021

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I'll have to check the Kenosha one next time I go. I mean, during the Winter the sun goes down at like 4pm so it doesn't matter much.

99% positive they don't have skylights though.

thanks to the weirdos who upload photos of the Kenosha Costco to google maps, we can see that yes, it does have skylights: https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=e...QoiowCnoECAYQBg

they're those square bright things

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Tim Whatley posted:

World's strongest man does his grocery shopping at Costco.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrhLkLxR1Oc

Only the weak go to BJs and Sam's Club :smuggo:

Why did he say he doesn't eat strawberries or any fruit like that but then he's got two giant containers of strawberries in his cart? :iiam:

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

7 minutes from now, you could have a chance to buy a $329 Costco wheel of cheese for just 3.29: https://www.99percentoffsale.com

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

It's Kristen Schaal

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I'm pretty sure the fork is supposed to look like an old deer antler

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Wisconsin has brats. they're good, a local brand

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I'm lucky. I'm in Wisconsin and can walk into a cheese shop and there'll be pairs of landjaegers hanging from a line of twine.

Go to the klements outlet store next time you're in mke. No landjaeger but there's a ton of beef and ham and snack sticks for cheap

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

https://twitter.com/noahreservation/status/1107780406298853376

click through and read the thread!

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

priznat posted:

This owns, both heartwearming and terrifying at the same time

wanna try that ramen too, we don't get that here. The Udon bowls are good but hella packaging intensive

Def try Shin. It comes in packets too. The stuff in the photo is Shin Black, but the regular stuff is also good. lots of largest grocery stores carry it

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

someone buy this man an account

https://twitter.com/tjmusto/status/1109932049794625536

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

binge crotching posted:

I usually tell people that because it's the only way to get them to not put that nasty rear end poo poo on food.

you're a dick if you do this. restaurants take allergies seriously, and take many steps to avoid cross contamination in the kitchen. you're giving them extra work for no reason, since they would be happy to just leave it off without having to use the special cutting boards, knives, change gloves again, etc.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Ultimate Mango posted:

How does this compare to their Aller-Clear, which I swear by.

they're two different drugs. they will affect everyone differently, that's why there's more than one allergy medicine in the world. you swear by loratadine, brand name Claritin. the other stuff is fexofenadine, brand name Allegra. you can get the same brand name and generic drugs at any pharmacy or grocery store or wal-mart or whatever. they may be cheaper at costco than where you normally would get them because bulk, but they're not a costco-exclusive thing.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Costco is kind of a mixed bag. Pricing on certain things is excellent and it makes complete sense. If you can store a chunk of paper towels or toilet paper you probably will never beat their deals. Other stuff, not so much. Electronics are all over the place. If you hunt around for a deal you can almost always beat their TV prices, for instance.

Food is almost always cheaper at Costco, from my experience. You can beat them with grocery store sales on things like chicken, hamburger, etc. The big bummer is that sometimes the sizes they sell are more than many people can use before it spoils.

With furniture its hard to judge. In my experience the stuff they carry in their stores is way higher quality than what I've seen at furniture stores. I write this sitting on a one of those reclining sectional couches. I think we paid $1300 for it and it's better than anything we found in furniture stores for under $2000. Downside is that you're stuck with the colors their buyers chose.

The grocery thing depends on the area, I think. There's a lot of grocery store competition where I am, so I get a lot of food cheaper shopping ads (or just at one particular giant local store) than I do at Sam's or Costco. For example, I'm on the watch for cheap potato chips right now because of a tailgate for 50 people I'm doing in May. Chips at Sam's (I have a membership at both Sam's and Costco, but Sam's is more convenient) are 23 cents/ounce, but a sale at the grocery store last week was 19 cents/ounce. On the other hand, tortilla chips are way cheaper in a big box at Sam's than I've ever seen at a regular store.

tl;dr you can find cheaper grocery stuff than Costco or Sam's, but it takes effort/time/inconvenience

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

ArbitraryC posted:

This is p wrong unless your only shopping options are the more expensive grocery chains. Fresh produce is cheaper almost anywhere other than costco for fruit/veg/poultry/pork. Costco is super good on dairy and has a better bargain for high quality beef but unless you're living off frozen and snack foods it's prolly not gonna cut your food budget. I enjoy shopping for deals so I'm fairly in tune with prices for my area and even without weekly ads/coupons you can get way better deals on most food staples just by default at a winco or such and if you do just shop weekly with ads even the pricier chains like safeway will beat it. Foodwise costco is great on dairy, processed foods, and more expensive items but you'd be better off buying your weekly staples elsewhere unless you're super into individually packaged organic non gmo branded stuff.

I'm not sure what you're saying is pretty wrong since we pretty much agree? you can get most stuff cheaper at regular stores, it sometimes just takes time and ad watching. that's what many people don't want to spend the effort doing so they just default to costco and think it's the greatest/cheapest

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I regularly buy avocados for 50 cents each at national stores like Fresh Thyme. They're almost always $1 or less at bigger/not fancy rear end local groceries. And always about 50 cents at Mexican groceries.

It's almost as if proximity to Mexico isn't the only factor determining price for avocados

Crusty Nutsack fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Nov 3, 2021

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

They have self checkouts at Sam's here and they're amazing because it's a cordless scanner gun thing so you just stack everything in your cart with the UPC out and scan everything super quick. There's always like 4 self checkout lanes empty, too. Is that how Costco's are? Ours doesn't have them yet.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

phosdex posted:

Sam's also has an app that you can scan and check out with. That's the best way to shop imo.

Yeah I know, I used to use it until it just stopped working completely at my Sam's?? everything I'd scan would be like "you can only buy this at a register" like it was alcohol or drugs, but it was like chicken or whatever.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Good luck finding one. We can't afford that stuff. I've seen 1 Whole Foods in about 5 years. I'm sure there is one at least in Milwaukee but nothing near me. I live in a city of 100,000+.

There's one downtown and one in Tosa. Outpost is better, the local co-op with a few locations that's been around since hippie days I think. Plus there's places like Pete's Fruit Market, Cermak, Tropic Banana, Woodman's, and Fresh Thyme that are all cheaper and better in some regards. There's a lot of grocery competition here.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Taima posted:

Many Costcos across CA carry it at this point, the website is wrong.

Just picked this up at the Co, anyone have experience with it? Willing to give it a shot. Somewhat pricey at around $6 a pound, but an interesting concept.

you bought fake crab in the shape of noodles, that's weird as hell

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Trastion posted:

Anyone ever get the Crab Legs or Dungeness Crabs from the little seafood stand?

I see those 2 things are already cooked. Was wondering how it would be to warm them back up using Sous Vide?

I live in Michigan so I am not coastal to get fresh ocean seafood. Plenty of fresh freshwater fish though.

do NOT heat them with an immersion circulator. presumably you'd be thinking of just putting them in the water without a bag, because I'm not really sure how you'd vacuum seal sharp pointy crab legs, and you do not want bits of shell or crab or seasoning or anything else circulating through your heating element

just steam them in a big pot with an inch or two of water in the bottom. they're already cooked so there's no real benefit to sous-vide here anyway

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

TraderStav posted:

Whenever a friend or employee has a death in the family I include one of those chicken pot pies in my care package. Feeds a thousand people, is stupid simple to make, and is delicious and comforting.

that is actually a really good idea. homemade stuff that people bring over can be hit or miss, and surprises suck when you just need comfort food

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I'm from Wisconsin and I got the brat once and didn't like it. They really do use a high quality brat though, Usinger's, but the grind is way too fine for me. I like a reasonably coarse ground brat. I'm spoiled as poo poo though because every grocery store makes their own brats and I can get apples and cheddar, hungarian, philly cheese steak, any kind of brat you can imagine.

The bog standard you'll find at grill outs is Johnsonville. They aren't bad but they donated to Scott Walker so they can go gently caress themselves.

Don't buy Johnsonville.

Hungarians are their own type of sausage (from Hungary not Germany duh). Don't call every type of sausage a bratwurst, that's just dumb

Johnsonville are indeed poo poo though

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Yeah I typed in hungarian knowing it's it's own thing but just left it.

And the specialty sausages are always labeled as brats around here. Same ingredients as a brat, just extra stuff.

Don't blame me I didn't make the entire local industry.

Yeah, the ones labeled as brats have the brat seasonings, plus other stuff like cheese and whatever. Hungarians, polish, Italians, etc are definitely not labeled as brats anywhere.

My step dad used to go to Rupena's and get a random assortment of sausages, mix them all up on the grill, and call them all brats. It was like sausage roulette. Made me nuts perhaps this is why I find this so frustrating

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Understandable. I made a mistake, knew it, and just ran with it.

Sorry for your sausage lies. That's just cruel.

Also you NEVER mix up sausages on the grill. You better know drat well what you are eating. My friend and I grill a lot and I'm always adamant about him keeping them separated so we know which is which.

Yeah see you get it. It's called grill etiquette. I'm clearly scarred for life now :(

I wonder if all the co's got rid of the brat or what hmmm

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

it's very weird that the two Costco items goons go nuts over are a hippy vegan dip and a blanket. thank god for hot dog combos

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Xaris posted:

I usually get about 6-7 bags of the big Costco Funhouse Wonka candy, and it's sometimes not enough. i could probably make it work better if i was strict about "one piece of candy EACH!" instead of just shrugging when some kids grab several.

i kinda feel bad because i don't really give out anything exotic or interesting, some of my favorite mid 90s trick or treating memories was just getting weird rear end candy that i've only had a few times or never heard of. everyone has has skittles/nerds/sweettarts/laffy taffy like a bazillion times already. although I did buy a bag of Zots one year and people were excited and confused over it which made me feel :3: I might do some ring-pops this year and see if they still make Tart n Tinys or something. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Sixlets, they're unusual and come in small packs for trick or treating, and it sounds like your hood could use some chocolate

also those weird shaped flat caramel apple suckers are legit too

Crusty Nutsack fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Oct 10, 2019

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

what are the best desserts at costco? those three pie combo things are always tempting instead of one giant one.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I got a sample of the giant chicken pot pies yesterday, it was tasty. they also had a full pizza sample station, with 3 old ladies making 4 different kinds of frozen pizza, it was rad

I lusted over the 1.75-liter Macallan 12 year, but did not buy

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

david_a posted:

Smart move IMO, even at CostCo prices Macallan is overpriced ($200+ for the 18 LOL). They’ve dramatically increased their prices over the last ten years, I guess mainly due to name recognition. Aberlour is pretty similar for much much less. Haven’t even seen that at CostCo, but sometimes they have Balvenie which is also very nice and slightly less overpriced :v:

the 1.75 was $129. I'm not even remotely a scotch expert, I just know I've had macallan and like it :shrug:

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

Don't forget that Hillary also did a book signing at Costco some years back, I hope you complained then as well

https://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-hillary-clinton-brookfield-book-tour-20170915-story.html

you just "but her emails"ed a costco thread dude

good job for having convictions, pennywise!

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

EVG posted:

My local gym has a toys for tots box that is depressingly empty. Is Costco a good value for new, non-plush toys or would I be better served at a TJ Max or someplace discounted? I don’t have a ton of funds but wanted to prime the pump and hopefully get a few more people guilted into donating.

definitely TJ Maxx, or 5 Below if you have those

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

priznat posted:

Not saying it's bad just usually the bun contains the entire weiner. Did they change it up??

that looks like the buns they use for the brats around here, they probably just ran out of the hot dog ones or accidentally used the wrong bun

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Is there any way when looking at the costco website to tell if something is in stock at your local 'co?

no, their website is a piece of poo poo. this is one area where sam's club is actually way better.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Noslo posted:

rotisserie chickens are the bomb too if you just want to strip them and fill up some some tupperware and have delicious sandwich meat for a week. Plus you can make decent stock with whatever is left over.

I kept an eye out for the Bitchin' sauce last church trip, but no luck. Whereabouts in the store does one find it?

it's with the hummus, guacamole, and spinach dip in the refrigerated aisles

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Costco's rotisserie chickens are great because they're the biggest you can find for the price. there's a fancy rear end grocery store here that uses fancy rear end chickens for theirs and they taste so much better, like actual chicken instead of just brine. they're also $8 normally and are smaller because they're not pumped full of dugs.

there's entire websites and cookbooks dedicated to what to do with rotisserie chickens. I like quesadillas as one of the fastest of the Mexican things. Sometimes I'll make tortilla pizzas with buffalo or barbecue sauce, chicken, cheese and whatever else you want. Buffalo chicken wraps are good too. More complicated things: poppyseed chicken, chicken tetrazzini, Mexican chicken soup, marsala pasta, banh mi

always use the carcass to make stock because you can make delicious soup like avgolemono, creamy chicken wild rice, chicken and dumplings, etc etc

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

canyoneer posted:

One of the Cos near me piloted a self scanner thing for a bit. You get a handheld scanner, and scan your item as you put it into your cart. At the end there's a special register you walk up to, they take your scanner and payment, count your items, and send you on your way.
It was pretty cool. My local supermarket does it too but it's a pain for things like produce that are sold by weight

Sam's Club has a thing where you scan and pay with your app. so you scan the barcodes on your phone as you put the stuff in your cart, and then pay through the app. you show your receipt on your phone on the way out. it's loving amazing, honestly. you essentially just put things in your cart and walk out.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Trastion posted:

Do they mark the screen with a sharpie and draw a little smiley on it?

I have been concerned with some of those old people checkers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

RJWaters2 posted:

Anything I forgot?

what makes milk taste pure?