Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

I work at corporate and dream of getting the Canadian menu some day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Great Britain:

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

grellgraxer posted:

Anyone bought a car through Costco recently? Can you get a significantly better deal than normal dealership bargaining?

There's a deal on GM cars right now but why would you want one of those?
The car program is pretty good if you know exactly what you want and don't feel like haggling.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

maniacripper posted:

I do, they can check my receipt......as I walk past them on my way out the door.

But then you won't get the smiley face on your receipt.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

This goddamn thread's got me craving a big Costco dog now, but that's not too big a deal, they're usually pretty lax about checking your card if you're going in through the 'exit'/customer service entrance.

You can walk in the front door without a membership. Just tell them you are going to the Pharmacy. No membership needed for pharmacy.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Dely Apple posted:

They had a nice layering sweater out and every single one out of 40 were Medium. America is getting back into shape apparently.

From my experience there is another Costco 50 miles away that only has Larges. Of course the current instore inventory system doesn't let you search by size.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

We cant just sell a single can we?

edit: I bet that buyer gets a lot of poo poo in department meetings. May have to go track him down.

Meydey fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 26, 2017

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Kassoon posted:

who pays a fee for the privilege of paying more

$24 each at Amazon. Seen them for $20 at home stores.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Using my Costco Visa to book a cruise and vacation in the UK.
Costco travel is giving a $160 cash card for the cruise, and 3% back on the whole mess. Not sure if the cruise gives the 2% membership reward also.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I don't think you get that 2% executive cash back from travel https://www.costco.com/executive-rewards.html
Just checked an nope. The travel lady said they add the cash card to compensate for that.

Teikanmi posted:

I mean I know they say it's got some kind of magic sauce in it that makes it cleaner or something but it just seems like there has to be a catch
All of a regions gas comes from the same distributor/refinery. The only difference is that some will add additives specific to that brand. Same stuff as down the street that costs 20 cents more. Costco just uses their buying power/cost savings to pass on the lower price, unlike most stations. Pretty sure gas at Costco is zero profit or even negative sometimes.

The Costco business model is to make most of its profits from memberships. Very little profit is derived from markup on products/gas. Gas is just there to make the membership fees more enticing.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

I bought 2 pairs of the zip off leg pants for travelling to maximize the dorky tourist look. $20 vs similar branded stuff at around $80.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I wish Costco delivered hotdogs. :smith:

http://www.costcobusinessdelivery.com/CatalogSearch?storeId=11301&catalogId=11701&langId=-1&keyword=hot+dog

Some assembly required. (my inner fattie really wants to buy that 10 pound can of "Hot Dog Chili Sauce w/ Beef")

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Smeed posted:

Costco is raising their membership price $5, boys. Get your poop wipin socks while you can.

$5 for Gold Star, $10 for Executive

Not mine though...Free membership :smug:

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

For those heathens without a membership, just go the main door and say you are heading to the Pharmacy. Then proceed to wander around the store scarfing samples like a normal Costco shopper. Can't check out though.
You do not need a membership to use the Pharmacy.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Kelp Me! posted:

lol they're supposed to check your membership card against your form of payment at the registers but they're not super thorough about it. My dad's got a corporate membership and I used his card to buy some housewares a while back. Everything was OK until a manager happened to walk by, took a closer look and realized my credit card and the membership card didn't match. She got suuuuuuuper pissed at me, but gently caress it - transaction was already done so there's nothing she could do, and like I told her: I didn't know that was a rule, and maybe get mad at your employee for not catching it rather than a customer for doing it unintentionally.

I was just there for new contact lenses in the first place :confused:

Don't know if he has done this already or not but corporate memberships allow 2 sub memberships on the card. Your dad can add you on his and you would get your own Executive membership card. The only difference is that you would not get the 2% cash back.
I work at Corp and have my son and a sister in law on my account.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Kelp Me! posted:

My mom's already the other one :)

Actually spouse does not count. They are part of the main account and get the 2%. I have my wife, and son/sis in law on mine.

If your dad is at the main office, then there is a good chance I know him. I have done alot of support in previous positions for many people.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Ahh, ok.

Hot dog chat: part of the reason the hot dog have stayed $1.50 is that they stopped selling Hebrew Nationals, and built their own meat packing plant. Yes, Costco packs it's own weiners.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Pretty sure they are still Kosher, but yeah they use the Kirkland dogs now.
The meat plant is in Mira Loma, CA and make hot dogs for US/Canada.

a hole-y ghost posted:

Between this and the bulgogi bake, I was happy before with my Costco's food court, but I gotta tell them to step it up

Don't ever go to a Canadian Costco food court. Jacket Potatoes, Meat Sandwich, Poutine

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Kelp Me! posted:

I always just assumed Kirkland is their private-label brand, AKA they don't actually make anything, just rebrand other stuff, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Kirkland kosher hot dogs come from the same factory as actual Hebrew Nationals.

Off the top of my head, a couple of the Kirkland beers are actually brewed by the same company that makes Saranac. I know that at Trader Joe's, their hard cider is brewed by Woodchuck.

Most Kirkland brand stuff is from known manufacturers, but they keep who pretty secret. A good hint is if they sell a competing item of a regular brand. Prob same manufacturer. As for meat, they decided it was cheaper to just build a meat plant. Most of the cut meats come from there in bulk and fine cut at the warehouse.
There are also multiple Optical Depots where they make their own glasses lenses, and Pharmacy depots that handle the bulk prescription stuff.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

LOL Costco Meat Factory

https://www.google.com/maps/place/C...!4d-121.5306808

Its in Tracy, not Mira Loma

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Oh hell yeah

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Tato posted:

jealous of the fries. although those tendies seem a bit expensive for costco food, they must be good.

Always a bit confused why the hot ham and turkey costs so much when they practically give you hot dogs and chicken bakes for free. I guess because of the assembly required? I dunno, who am I to question Costco

The hot dogs will never change price (at least as long as Jim Sinegal is alive). The other food is real priced, it just looks expensive next to the dog. I personally would like a chili add-on option to the hot dog for like a buck for a scoop or so.

Costco History fact: The cafes were called "Cafe 1.50" when they were originally opened. Everything was $1.50. Also the hot dogs were sold from an actual cart with wheels.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

I could eat a rotisserie chicken every week for the rest of my life. Very easy to get 2+ meals for 2 people out of 1 chicken. It's like a mini Thanksgiving each time I get one.

I know why they don't, but it would be awesome if they had them ready to go at the food court for $5.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Dely Apple posted:

At my Costco, you have to go through the entire store to get to the back with the paper towels and chickens.

That's how they get you, man.

Employee secret to saving money at Costco: Don't get a cart. Can't buy too much if you don't have a cart. The chickens do get hot though.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

meet girls at the store posted:

What is the deal with the Costco hot dog vs the Costco Polish dog? I don't think I've ever even seen a hot dog at my store. Don't know why you'd want one of them skinny dawgs when you could have the satisfying girth of a Polish.

Umm, they are the same size? (grabs ruler and heads to the food court)

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

http://www.costcobusinessdelivery.com/Kirkland-Signature-Beef-Polish-Sausage%2C-3.81-lbs.product.11467742.html - Polish
http://www.costcobusinessdelivery.com/Kirkland-Signature-Beef-Dinner-Frank%2c-3.81-lbs.product.11467741.html - Regular

Or for those who want more meat
http://www.costcobusinessdelivery.com/Kirkland-Signature-Beef-Polish-Sausage%2c-120-links%2c-32.52-lbs.product.11987144.html - 120 count Polish (32.5 lbs)

Also, rad cart to cook them on
http://www.costcobusinessdelivery.com/Willy-Dog-Hummer-Hot-Dog-Cart-with-Umbrella%2c-Stainless-Steel.product.100285008.html

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

OldSenileGuy posted:

Yeah, I got mine right when they switched and I now have like 300 bucks in Costco Cash to use next time I go.

It says on the Costco Cash paper that they'll give me back any unused portion in cash. Do they limit that, or can I really go in and buy 20 bucks worth of stuff and get 280 bucks cash back??

Go to the membership desk. They will cash out the whole thing if you want. Then buy 150 hot dogs.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

C. Everett Koop posted:

Don't say the chicken I'm going on vacation and I'm not gonna eat a drat Costco chicken in one setting c'mon now.

Thats why god invented the freezer. Eat what you can, freeze the rest. Casserole, soup, salad etc all are better with chicken bits in/on them.

Get a bag of Pepperoni sticks for the trip.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

I called them once asking about a rug and not only did they know how many were in stock, but they could name the colors that were left

Can't differentiate whats in rtv and on the floor tho, and stock qty updates overnight so might still be sold out of something if its fast moving.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

If you ask they will send someone out to the floor to check for you.

I want someone to dig thru the clothes piles to find the last, buried 38/34 pair of jeans so I don't get the evil eye from the folder lady two displays away.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

You could buy a 1/4 Hot Dog and 20oz drink for $1.50, then just take the dog into the bathroom and Coscto could have sex with you. :shrug:

Might want to skip the mustard tho.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Citizen Tayne posted:

Get a chest freezer and buy your meat at Costco. Your membership pays for itself right there.

They even sell the chest freezers

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Also, sometimes it's nice not to have to wade through a pile of brands/models when you can just buy the single one that is in Costco.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

The dad in me really wants to make a lame duck joke.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Sigh...Costco'd again.
Yesterday I bought a $40 neck rest thing for my wife for traveling from Amazon. Went into a warehouse today and dammit, Costco is selling on very similar for $11.99. Now I have to send the Amazon one back.
Also, the Tukwila warehouse has 1/2 a pallet left of the Harvest Creek Buffalo Chicken in a can on clearance,. 4 pack for $5.97. Holy poo poo that is good. Bought 2 packs and might have to go back for more before its gone.

This is the poo poo: https://www.amazon.com/Harvest-Creek-shredded-chicken-12-5-oz/dp/B00V51K0WQ

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Nice. Not sure if any of you have Costco stock, but they just announced a $7 per share dividend payable on May 26, 2017.
I guess my trip to England just got paid off.

Edit: Stock price jumped $6 already in after hours trading.

Meydey fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Apr 25, 2017

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

I always reinvest my dividends. Costco, use my money for the dogs.

edit: I don't have Costco stock. I invest in funds.

I bought in at $103 and usually reinvest. Time to be irresponsible now.

All this talk of hot dogs almost makes me want another one. I walk to the warehouse multiple times a week, but always skip the fc.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Yeah, I know. Stop loving reminding me. :mad:

Guess what though. I lived in the motherland. That's right. I lived in Kirkland, WA. :worship:

Except corporate is in Issaquah now. Issaquah Signature does not roll off the tongue quite as well though..

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Maple trees just started showing up at my local warehouse. Been waiting for my $39.99 tree
Also just bought a 3-ton jack for $5 more than the Harbor Freight price. After smashing my finger Saturday on my old one, this should be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Costco meatball pro-tip:
Marinate the meatballs in Demitris Bloody Mary Mix. $6 for a 16oz bottle at Costco. This was on a sample tray and was just awesome.
Bonus: make a Bloody Mary also