Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
Not my pic, but apparantly this was taken last week at the Seattle Costco. Oh my.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Meydey posted:

Not my pic, but apparantly this was taken last week at the Seattle Costco. Oh my.

That's a Kings Hawaiian bun btw
Guessing they are using the 1/3lb Sirloin burgers also. http://www.costcobusinessdelivery.com/Kirkland-Signature-13-lb-Ground-Sirloin-Hamburger-Patties%2C-18-ct.product.10182017.html
Those come in at 330 calories.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Teikanmi posted:

so 150 calories for the Kings Hawaiian bun and 300-ish for the patty once a lot of the the fat has cooked off

40 for cheese, 40 for sauce and we're still missing like 600 calories

I could see 1100 calories if that had a side of fries.
The burger should be about about 600-750 or so.

I may have to make a phone call to get to the bottom of this.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Relevant Tangent posted:

Executive memberships are for people who are poo poo at math, sorry friend. Just get the credit card, it's a far superior option.

Hmm:
Business membership - $60 (new price) - No cash back
Executive Membership - $120 (new price) - 2% cash back

Spend $3000 / year at Costco * 2% = $60
$3000 / 52 weeks in a year = $57.70 per week to spend to get to $60 back.

After that, all cash back is profit towards totally free membership. Hit $6000 for the year (Not hard to do if you buy a few major purchases), then free membership. Plus the other perks of Executive.

Of course being a lonely goon that's a lot of Doritos and Coke.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

C. Everett Koop posted:

You still need to use your regular card at the pumps though, right? I've get 90% of my gas through Costco so I've been carrying both cards around.

Nope, the Costco Visa works as a membership card at the pumps too. Just one swipe covers the membership and credit part. Just tap on Use Costco Visa for your purchase.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
There are quite a few business delivery centers in the US, but I think they are new to CA.
Seems like 40-50 but not sure.
Southcenter, WA (#06) is the biggest store, floorspace wise, in the company, so they carry normal whse stuff, and about 1/2 the items from a bd

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
Costco essentially provides consistent pricing on bulk sized quantities of product. Some are higher than a general grocery store, and some come in lower. Where Costco shines is the fact that 99% of the items are a known quality, with less mystery brands (store/cheap). Kirkland Signature is considered one of the highest quality store brands, and multiple products have been verified to have been produced by known brand names. Add in the unconditional 100% return policy (minus electronics, but at at 90 days is still better than most retail) and the value is there. Yes you drop $200-400 each trip easily, but at least the stuff you get is quality.

Plus a dog on the way out.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

C. Everett Koop posted:

I'd go to Costco but my freezer is full :( Sucks because I can't justify the trip just for a $1.50 1/4lb all beef hot dog and a 20oz drink, even with that great savings.

Skip the frozen aisle. Plenty of dry goods, clothes, seasonal, cleaning supplies, etc as long as you have closet/garage/living room space to store it

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

This fresh kirkland sausage lasagna on deck for a first try tonight! Insanely excited to pray at the altar on the daily.

Had that last week. drat good for frozen.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

RocktheCaulk posted:

Hi I was told to report to this thread because I'm about to start a job with benefits (but not at Costco). Can someone point me to the correct aisle?

Always walk all aisles. Not only do they like to move stuff around, you will probably see something new each time. Also look for starred (*) and .97 items, those are clearance.
Keep an eye out for out of the place sample ladies also, they like to hide.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

succ posted:

idk why all this talk on hot dogs. you can get a $10 cheese pizza that is better than any pizza chain out there.

also $1 giant rear end churros

Another Pro-tip: they will make a Pep/Sausage combo if you ask nice

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
No single slices though, only full pie

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

ColoradoCleric posted:

Is it worth getting either of costco's DSLR cameras like the nikon or cannon for the price? There's similar bundles on amazon with more accessories for not too much more.

Eh, longer initial return period, and you get it in your grubby hands immediately.
Use the Costco visa and I think an extra year is tacked onto any warranties.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

No Butt Stuff posted:

Guys, seriously, is no one upset about the Ling Ling Potsticker fiasco?

C'mon.

Looks like they are still available from Business Delivery
http://www.costcobusinessdelivery.c...emoteHost=app04

Of course the image link is broke, but if you knew the ecomm team...

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

No Butt Stuff posted:

Unavailable in my area.

Who do I need to call to fix this? The CPO?

Call the membership hotline. Number is on the back of your membership card.
They can contact the buyer for your region and see if it is on re-order or anything. I used to be able to do an inventory search but lost access.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
There's a tree in my cart today. Managed to get this into the front seat of my Altima with no damage to either.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Squashy Nipples posted:

Ikea has great food, it's just not a bargain like CostCo. CostCo does offer superior mustard, though.

My grandmother bought her hearing aids at CostCo, and she loves them. Goes on and on about how cheap they were, and how much she loved the staff who fitted and tested her.
My optician works at CostCo, and I went to the LASIK surgeon she recommended to me.

Well, actually, she is my ex-optician, now. :smugdog:

Costco Hearing aids are a real problem for the hearing industry because all of the local providers mark up the poo poo out of them. The basic Kirklands come in at $2100 I think, and are the same ones that private places sell for $4k. Batteries are about 1/4 of the price also.
I have a pair that I wear for meetings and stuff. Only had to pay $50 out of pocket with insurance.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Big Grunty Secret posted:

At the 'Stco now, debating whether to get Kirkland brand toilet paper or Scott brand toilet paper.

My heart says Kirkland but my wallet says Scott.

gently caress it GOING WITH KIRKLAND

Thank you 1.50 hot dog for guiding my decisions

FYI It's all Kimberley-Clark

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Wonder what his SA forum name is.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

anonumos posted:

Has anyone used the Costco Autos program? I'm in the market for a used Honda Odyssey and wonder if it would be a good deal to go through Costco.

Never used it myself, but many co-workers have. Nothing but good stories.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Cyborganizer posted:

My local Costco was robbed at closing time just the other day. Three suspects came in with ski masks to do a smash and grab on the glass jewelry display. The noble Costco employees responded by tackling one of the suspects and detaining him until police came. Would a Sam's Club employee do the same?

Joke is on them. Most of the diamonds in the display cases are fake.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Pennywise the Frown posted:

You in Kirkland? Was that the first one?

First one is Seattle. Kirkland is store #08. Biggest is Tukwila #06. I think Portland is #02

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Awwww. I thought I previously lived at the Mecca.

Technically the old Price Club stores in socal were earlier, but the were renumbered to 400 and up after the merge with Costco

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

TBeats posted:

I am not hip to Costco and went with someone else who is a member and I had to go back home and get my Visa :mad: because who tf doesn't take MasterCard are you serious

Why didn't you just use your Mastercard in the ATM that is by the door in most Costcos. Pretty sure cash would've worked at the register. Or, like, take the more accepted card with you.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
Call me a heathen but if I was in the UK, I would skip the dog and do the cottage pie and jacket potato w/chili.

Note: Going to BC next month, will get Costco poutine. Will be in the UK in Sept, gimme that cottage pie!

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

natsea posted:

Are there any good books about Costco or the founders? Just finishing up reading the everything store and am itching for another book.

https://www.amazon.com/Price-Retail-Revolutionary-Social-Innovator/dp/0988680602

Sol Price was Jim Sinegals' mentor at Fed Mart/Price Club. Jim also did the forward. Very good read on the the history and philosophy of warehouse club stores.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

not if you're loving an employee or family member of one :c00l:

:c00l::hf::c00l:

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

ElGroucho posted:

Weren't you the guy who had tears well up in his eyes because some one made fun of your condiment choices

Anybody ever taken one of those vacations? (Costcations?)

I am taking a cruise out of England in September thru Costco Travel. Called and lowered the price 3 times due to price matching before making the final payment a few weeks ago. Price matched to the NCL website price, but then Costco offers a roughly 10% cashcard on top to sweeten the deal.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

binge crotching posted:

The problem I had with trying to use the Costco vacation packages is that it only lets you price a couple of destinations online, for anything else you need to call them. I'm far too lazy to call and speak to someone, I'd rather do my trip planning online.

Trust me...call them. I am an online planner also and when I called with questions about cruises, they offered options and stuff that I never even considered.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Big Grunty Secret posted:

Does anyone else think Costco should modify the carts to have a dog/pizza holder so you can chew while you cruise?

Can't imagine how nasty that would be after a full day of people using it. People, even Costco folks, are slobs.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Chinatown posted:

blessed are the dog sellers

I work with a guy who started at the Southcenter Costco Hot Dog Cart in 1991. I believe it was called Cafe 150. And yes, it was just a cart.
Pretty sure I bought a dog from him in 1992 when I first joined under my father-in-laws tax service.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Cafe 150 is a good nickname for the costco food court

Originally everything was going to be $1.50

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

Although we all worship at the altar of the 'Co, you should really buy your eyeglasses online (unless you have busted up eyes). If you're just regular nearsighted you can save a ton of money, and that's the name of the game.

Bought glasses last week at Costco. Frame, Progressive Bi-focal (I'm an old), anti-glare coating, and the costco warranty - $169.99
I'm an employee so I have to go there, but I have priced it out and those would be $300-400 anywhere else. I will not buy glasses online unless I have used a certain frame before, and do not want to deal with returns or anything. Get a scratch a month later, return to Costco and get new lenses, no questions asked.
My wife gets contacts, and after rebates that are Costco only, they usually are 1/2 to 2/3 the price anywhere else.

If you ever need hearing aids, go to Costco also. Easily half the price of independents for the same brand/model. Batteries are super cheap also.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Heffer posted:

I got Lasik a couple years ago, so I haven't had need of it lately:

Costco sells a an eyeglass cleaner kit thats two decent sized squirt bottles of cleaner plus a small travel sized one plus some cloths. The kicker is, they have tanks of the fluid at the optical center and you can top it off whenever you want.

I would love to get Lasik, but I have a giant melon head and very little hair. I need the glasses to break up the ugly into easier to digest pieces.

If y'all haven't tried the $12.99 shorts on sale with the stretchy wastebands yet, they are the most comfortable shorts ever, and have decent length. I bought 4 pair, and am tempted to get backups.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

binge crotching posted:

Anyone tried these? Just picked them up last night, hoping they grill up nicely.

Grilled those last weekend after boiling in some Rainier beer that was in my fridge. Very good and got rid of some lovely beer to boot.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Costco rotates their stock pretty regularly. Many a time have I been upset that they stopped carrying something only to see it again several months later. They probably also want to encourage people not to wait by making availability unpredictable.

Also, if you send them requests along with other people, they do in fact listen to customer requests

There is a term for it: Treasure Hunt. They move stuff around so you have to find it, and maybe see something else you want. Store stock is also dictated by purchasing costs. If the product price goes up, then they will drop it until the price goes back down. Ask Coke about that one.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
Tell them you are going to the Pharmacy. No card required there

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
Roast if you can.
If you must nuke, then get one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Pampered-Chef-Large-Cooker-Microwave/dp/B000WIQHPM

I take mine to work and steam fresh broccoli, normandy mix, etc. Works great.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
13 Costcos (including 2 Business Delivery) within 40 miles of my house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Chinatown posted:

Wonder how many Kirkland dogs are gonna get devoured tomorrow...

I'm in Europe so please eat a dog for me. God bles.

Costco just opened its first store in France. https://www.esmmagazine.com/first-costco-france-opens/45174
Also have stores in Spain and England.