Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
You know, I'd gladly give up my subscription to "Costco Connection" if they'd drop $5 off my annual membership fee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

He's how you get the best hard seltzer: you take some seltzer you already like and put vodka in it.

who do you think i am, tom cruise in the hit movie Cocktail?

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

AKZ posted:

Word on the street is Pennywise has never bought a rotisserie chicken despite hanging out in the costco thread.

We feast on the bird then throw the leftovers into tacos or enchiladas.

And then....

Take the carcass, but it in a large pot of water. Put it on the stove, on low, overnight, with a lid. In the morning fish out anything solid, and you now have perfect chicken broth.

Alternate ending: throw in a handful of the mini wontons that Costco sells. You now have perfect wonton soup.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The North Tower posted:

Oh poo poo I forgot the thawing process. Yes, dethaw before cooking. Personally I throw it into a pasta strainer and leave it in water for 30 mins and drain it out for a bit, because it’s not your best meal, it’s your easiest meal. Keep this in mind.

Same with their frozen, cooked shrimp. If you don't let them thaw in a strainer, you'll end up with ton of shrimp-water in whatever you're putting them in.

I give them a quick sauté in butter and garlic. If you don't let them thaw first, you end up with a pan of butter water.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

AKZ posted:

This is a revelation!

"As we enlighten one, we enlighten all."
~ Costco 8:19

(funnier because we're on page 819)

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Apple Cough

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I know it isn't popular but I often won't commit to a new, costco-sized purchase of a thing unless I can sample it, first. I've bought lots of things I wouldn't have otherwise, because I was seduced by a sample.

THAT BEING SAID, my 'Co isn't super busy like ones I've been to in other states. You might have a line 3-deep for samples, at worst. My opinion would change if my local Costco was Henderson, Nevada. I've never been in a madhouse like that, before.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I'd probably actually "steal" it, run and cackle as I leave it in the next aisle.

See if I can get him to pull a gun, or something.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

El Jebus posted:

I'm gonna have a muffin for breakfast with my coffee! I just wish I could get a single 6 pack instead of having to get 2.

Freeze them. Vacuum seal them in packs of 1 or 2 muffins. Put them back in the freezer.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

PerniciousKnid posted:

Self check-out is for two situations: you have a few items, or you have small children.

My local grocery store installed self-checkout, then fired most of the cashiers so the only lane open that isn't self-checkout is the one where you can buy tobacco, and that lane always has 5+ people lined up at it with full carts.

I kinda hate self-checkout. I am not a boomer.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Price of beef is way up. My strip loin today was over $11.50 per pound.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

bird with big dick posted:

tbf we live by Tahoe so it will be pristine lake water I'm flushing through my sinuses after I throw my back out and my wife hits me with a paddle for not turning the kayak properly

Don't watch any of the videos of scuba divers cleaning up the trash in Tahoe.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Taima posted:

To be fair to that gas pumper employee, I'm guessing someone has asked for a specific amount of gas at a Costco pump approximately 4 times in the company's existence. It's just antithetical to the demographic (the average costco shopper supposedly has a 6 figure family income), and philosophy of the store. Gas, piled high, in bulk, and a hot dog with free refill.

Now that you mention it, Costco should start selling (1) Tank of gas (with refill).

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Bloodplay it again posted:

The only thing that frustrates me about the 'co gas pumps is I always seemingly am stuck in the line where people drag the hose across their trunks because the tank is on the other side of the car. Every vehicle I have ever been in has an arrow on the gas gauge to indicate which side the tank is on. Don't make me wait longer just cause you don't wanna wait with the other GMC owners. This lane's for passenger side tanks, bub!!!

You'd really be cursing me out, since I go left because the lines are shorter and pull that super-long hose over the bed of my truck. And then I have an F-150, and it takes a long time to fill because the tank is 36 gallons.

I'm curious, though.... how does the gravel get on the rubber hoses in your state? That's a new one.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Trastion posted:

I got gas yesterday and specifically went to the "wrong side" pump and hey i didn't scratch my car at all. In fact the hose didn't even TOUCH my car.

Same. I actually examined the pristine, rubber hose as I filled up and wondered at a climate that would cause it to accumulate gravel. I wonder what living in a place like that would do to a person's lungs.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Jeebus. Now using the long hose is going to join the zipper merge with "things I know I'm doing correctly but people are going to give me the stink-eye over." Sigh.

Anyone know when beef prices are coming down? My Costco strip loin (prime) was about 50% more expensive than usual, the other day.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Chinatown posted:

chicken thighs are where its at yo. they are like mega wings.

Dude.. don't tell them about the thighs. If it gets more popular the price will go up.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

fordham posted:

Pro-tip: Use steel-braided hoses for your washer connections - the cheapo rubber ones WILL fail one day and if you are like me and rarely remember to turn off the valve you will be very sad unless you happen to be standing next to it when it goes.

.... people turn off the water valve when not using the washing machine?

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Renegret posted:

As for checking memberships in the front, it's incredibly disruptive to have someone load up a full shopping trip on the belt, then not have a card and stonewalling the entire checkout line. You'd think the general population at this point would know about the membership only policy but you'd be surprised. I suspect the real reason is less about silly gatekeeping and more about keeping the front line moving quickly and efficiently.

And.... isn't there a rule that meat can't be put back on the shelf? Imagine some yahoo bringing $500 in beef loins up front, not having a membership, then it all has to go to the dumpster.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I was about to ask if they were alcoholics and yeah, psych units are fun. I've probably spent 6-8 months of my life in one collectively.

When I was in boot camp I went into our cleaning closet and ran into two guys drinking mouthwash.

That must have been a common thing.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

thathonkey posted:

the corporate bean counters make me sick. find a way to bring the onions back NOW. you FUCKS

There's never a good outcome when accountants start making design decisions.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I just wish they'd sell Pepsi with real sugar in those 30-pack pallets.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Nitrousoxide posted:

I put Costco's meat in me today.

It's a lot to take, if you aren't prepared.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Why doesn't they love Costco?

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Nfcknblvbl posted:

You guys might want to consider getting EVs, it's like you fill up overnight at home.

I got my EV through Costco's car program. :D

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Olanphonia posted:

The Kirkland brand? Fwiw, I think it's pretty drat good. definitely comparable to kerrygold

No one gets fired for buying Kirkland.'

Except for their light beer.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Just booked a rental car through Costco Travel.

It just feels better.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

schreibs posted:

I tried getting a price adjustment on a laptop that I bought at the end of June that went on sale in August. It was within the return window so I thought it would be a slam dunk but they told me 30 days was the price adjustment window. I simply told the guy that I didnt want to waste everyone's time wiping the laptop, returning it, and buying one on sale and he nodded, asked a manager, then gave me the adjustment. They would take a loss on sending the laptop to a refurb seller and I buy way too much poo poo without ever returning it so I wasnt worried about them pulling my membership and calling me an rear end.

IF THEY ARE STILL SELLING THE EXACT SAME MODEL:

1. Purchase new one at sale price.
2. Walk the unopened box right over to customer service
3. Tell them you wish to return the one you purchased two months ago, at the full price.

A Costco customer service rep taught me that. For me it was the $400 laser printer that went on sale for $320 , 3 months later.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
100% of your purchases are easily searchable in their system.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

sexy tiger boobs posted:

The street tacos are pretty bland and basic too... get your butts to a real Mexican place.

...... EL Costco?

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

david_a posted:

I would look around before blindly committing to this. I have gotten tires at CostCo in the past but I won’t do it again. The tire department at my store is always utterly slammed so those rotation & balances would take forever. Discount Tire was the same price and far more convenient for me.

I got a set of tires at Costco once, and over the next 3 months I needed to replace 3 of the valve stems. And Costco charged me. Boo. I will go to a tire place next time.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
When it's -10F outside, and the local news is saying OMG STAY INSIDE YOU'LL DIE, you can slip those socks on over your other socks, and put on your 3 layers including the balaclava you also bought at Costco, and snowblow your long driveway in warmth while the neighbors peek out the curtains at you and fret.

Like me a few years ago in Ohio.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

RocketLunatic posted:

Any suggestions on using Costco as a remote office?

Waiting for a few hours while my wife’s car gets new tires

Scream into your cellphone

BUY

SELL

BUY

SELL

So that people know you're an important business person.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

RocketLunatic posted:

Good morning from Costco in Beltsville, MD.

Waiting for my wife’s car’s leaky tire to get checked out. I bought the tires less than a month ago. I wouldn’t say I’ve been super impressed by the tire center yet.

I just threw down a dog though, so it’s alright.

Also will not return to tire center. They put on 3 bad valves on my new set of tires, and a month later charged me $5 each replace them. And then they gave me another bad valve out of the 3 new ones. Went to my local tire guy, and he replaced it quick and cheap, and correctly.

So.... no more Costco tire center for me, which makes me a little sad.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Gaius Marius posted:

I can't imagine being the kind of person who unironically uses napkins at home

Not everyone can be a caveman.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

bagmonkey posted:

What do you guys use to clean up cat barf and hairballs and other gross pet stuff? That's really the only reason I burn through so many paper towels, otherwise I try to use the bulk bar towels you can buy anywhere

Bissell Spotbot.

https://www.amazon.com/Bissell-SpotBot-handsfree-Portable-2117A/dp/B07DTJ9G6G

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Lord Decimus Barnacle posted:

I bought one of these in 2009 and it’s still going strong cleaning up dog barf

Mine lasted about 10 years.... strangely enough, the week the spotbot stopped working, the cat with the daily furballs died in her sleep.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Mmmm waffles.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Notre Dame burned, Costco didn't.

I think we see what the real church is, here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
"Notre Dame burned, Costco didn't." was mine.

"It's a lot of meat to take if you're not prepared" was also mine.

I'm damned proud to be a two-time Costco thread namer. Is there money?