Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I love poke, and for a few random, magical weekends every year, our Central Florida Costco gets it, and I always buy some. The kind with tobiko and spicy mayo is our favorite.

From what I understand, it's a west coast thing, so I felt pretty lucky that we got any at all. I've never made poke before, but I totally intend to try that now. Are those raw tuna steaks safe to eat raw? They look so nice, but I wasn't sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Xaris posted:

Lines go pretty fast but rest of the store can be a nightmare to navigate. But yeah ours is insanely loving busy nearly all the time, so I don't go as often as I'd like. Trick is to get there like before doors close at like 8pm on Wednesday or something or right when they open on a weekend.

Agreed. I work ten minutes from a Costco, get out of work at 8 PM, get there by 8:10, and I have the whole store to myself for a blissful 20 minutes before they close at 8:30.

Either that, or be the first person in when they open on weekends. If I can't go then, I don't go. The lines and crowds are too terrible any other times.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
And it promotes from within, too.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
My Costco is doing the "Seafood Roadshow" this weekend, including bringing back poke for the first time in several months. I know I'm gonna get some, but I might also pick up some langostino meat for pasta, or a nice slab of ahi tuna to do something with avocado and mango.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

I tried buying a car through Costco, the prices were okay but not great. I ended up going the traditional route of having a friend of a friend hook me up at the dealership. Probably wouldn't attempt again.

I got my car through Costco's Auto Program, and it was a great experience. I've never had to shop for a new car before, but since I already knew what I wanted (Honda Fit), they took all the stress out of it. They sent me to a dealer (unfortunately it wasn't the closest one), I got close to the wholesale price, and the only thing we had to haggle about was the trade-in value for my old car. In the end, I got exactly what I expected for it, after they initially tried to lowball me. But I was treated much better than I expected to be at the dealership, and it was quick and painless. I'd recommend it to anyone, especially if you already know what you want.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I want that Montreal smoked meat sandwich! I hear it's like pastrami, only better (if such a thing is even possible).

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Meydey posted:

The car program is pretty good if you know exactly what you want and don't feel like haggling.

This was me in February 2015. I've posted about my experience earlier in the thread, but I knew I wanted a Honda Fit, and Costco did all the work. The only haggling was how much I would get in trade-in value for my old car, and I got exactly what I hoped for on that, too. I'd recommend it to any Costco members as long as you already have a good idea of what you want.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Finally made it to the "better" Costco this weekend and got my big jar of Blue Hill Bay pickled herring in wine sauce, and the fresh rice-stuffed grape leaves were back. The Costco right near my work hasn't carried either of those in too long.

Plus, my wife's HP ink cartridges had a $25 instant rebate if you bought two 2-packs, so that was a pleasant surprise.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Fellis posted:

Trip report:

Are you in the Detroit/Dearborn area, by any chance? I've never seen halal meats at any Florida Costcos.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Xaris posted:

They also sell the costco streak strip thick cut one which I should try, idk why I haven't yet, I'll do that next time.

We love those. I hate it when some jerky is just too fibrous, dry, and tough, but those have a great consistency, and the taste matches the texture.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Sometimes when I order the dog but don't feel like getting a soda, I bestow my cup on some random person waiting for food who didn't order a drink. It's almost like buying a round at the bar, and leads to goodwill and hopefully people paying it forward.

I was much less likely to do this when they had Coke products, but now it's all Pepsi, and Dew is the only option I like (and only then, once in a rare while).

I'll agree on the pro-tier dogs with plenty of mustard and kraut. I just wish they had chili for them!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

It's a Hawaiian dish of fresh raw ahi tuna, cut into cubes and tossed with vegetables, seasonings, and some kind of marinade. It's becoming a trendy dish all over the country because it's so healthy, delicious, and customizable, and know it's a regular thing at Hawaii and California Costcos.

I feel pretty lucky that our Central Florida Costco offers it once in a while, and I'm a huge fan. My favorite version is tossed with onions, scallions, masago, and spicy mayo, and there's another equally good one with soy sauce, sea asparagus, onions, crushed macadamia nuts, and hot pepper flakes. They usually bring it out during their Seafood Roadshow events.

If you ever see it at Costco, don't sleep on it. It isn't the cheapest, but it has become one of my favorite meals.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

anonumos posted:

Has anyone used the Costco Autos program? I'm in the market for a used Honda Odyssey and wonder if it would be a good deal to go through Costco.

I used it in February 2015 to get a new Honda Fit. One of the best decisions I ever made, going through Costco. They sent me to a dealership where I was expected and treated well, and the only haggling involved at all was over the trade-in value for my old car. I ended up getting exactly what I expected and hoped they would offer me for it, so it was a fantastic experience overall. Love the Fit, too.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I love Costco, but I've been expanding my grocery shopping to other places lately, so I haven't been going as often. But you all have been an inspiration, and today I didn't have time to eat lunch at work, so I was starving when I finally got out. Guess where I went!

I got a rotisserie chicken to devour when I got home, one of those six-packs of boneless chicken legs and thighs (I prefer them to breasts for almost everything), two of the huge glass jars of marinated artichoke hearts, two cantaloupes (for $4!), and a package of prosciutto to wrap around the cantaloupe slices. My wife likes sugar-free Red Bull, so I bought two of the giant multi-packs, and they each had a $7 instant rebate. Nice!

I've been slowly losing weight by cutting carbs, sticking to an Atkins-style diet, and starting to exercise for the first time in my life, so as tempting as the $1.50 dog 'n' soda combo was, I abstained. But I bought a bunch of new mustards and a new jar of sauerkraut yesterday, and dogs have been sounding good, so for the first time ever, I bought the pack of Kirkland quarter-pound beef franks, the same ones they serve in the store. I ended up with 14 big-rear end dogs for $10, and already portioned them out in freezer bags, with some ready to cook when I get home tomorrow. They won't be quite the same without buns, but the drat fine quality of the dogs and exciting new mustards will make up for it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 04:37 on May 16, 2017

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Had one of my Kirkland dogs for dinner (the same kind they serve at the food court) minus the bun, with real German sauerkraut from Aldi, and plenty of Silver Spring jalapeno and chipotle mustards. Pro-tier dinner for sure.

The Seafood Roadshow is back next weekend, and my buddy will be in town so I want to get both kinds of the ahi tuna poke for him to try. I've been raving about them to him for over a year now. Poor guy took his mom to Hawaii last year and never got to try poke out there, since his mom is a big baby who only eats the simplest, blandest foods.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

binge crotching posted:

Maybe it's just on the west coast, but I thought they had poke 24/7.

Here in Central Florida, they just have poke at one store, and only during the rare Seafood Roadshows, and even then not every time. I look forward to it so much. I think it has become my favorite meal.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Croatoan posted:

Do you guys like artichoke hearts? You can get 64oz of them for $6.95.

Costco is cool and good.

I just bought two ridiculously huge glass jars of marinated artichoke hearts for something like $10, when a tiny jar at Publix is closer to $3.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Had a Kirkland dog for lunch at home, grilled in a pan until each side was nice and brown, and served with plenty of kraut and jalapeno mustard (and no bun).

Since you all love the dogs so much, you can buy them in a pack of 14 for a ridiculous $9.99, to have Costco-style dogs whenever you want them.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Snowmankilla posted:

Has anyone ever used the Costco Auto program? I am looking to pick up a Personal Water Craft and would love to save as much money as possible. Anyone had any experiences?

I bought my car (Honda Fit) in 2015 through the Costco Auto Program, and I'd recommend it to anyone. I knew I wanted a Fit, so they sent me to a Honda dealer (across town; I would not have chosen that one) and was treated really well. Got a great price, and the only haggling involved the trade-in value for my old car, which ended being exactly what I (realistically) hoped to get. I had never bought a new car before, and they took all the stress out of the process. But I paid cash, which helped too.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

Kirkland Signature Bratwursts are legit.

Is that homemade sauerkraut, or did you saute it with the brats or anything? I always love it when it gets nice and brown like that.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I went after work tonight and got chicken breasts, Whisps parmesan crisps (perfect crispy, salty, 100% parmesan cheese crackers with zero carbs), a case of sugar-free Red Bull for my wife, and filled up the car for $2.08 per gallon.

No dogs for me, since I still have several of the Kirkland 1/4 pounder dogs in the freezer at home, and two cans of Silver Floss kraut to try FogHelmut's recipe next time.

My heart sank because there were almost 20 idiots lined up for the last remaining checkout line, but absolutely nobody in the self-checkout line. I breezed right through like a pro.

PBUC.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Toilet Shoes posted:

Still get checked at the door?

Yeah, they still check, so I make sure to bring my own bags and keep my receipt in hand.

We have three self-checkout lanes to the right of all the regular lanes. Usually I get there around 8:10 after leaving work, and they close at 8:30. The store is rarely crowded at that time, but everyone lines up in the one open lane, usually ignoring the self-checkout lanes completely.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I got to Costco at 10:30 today (Saturday morning), so crowds were gathering, but it wasn't too bad yet. Got printer paper, mouthwash, toothpaste, Excedrin Migraine, blueberries, and blackberries, and was out in about ten minutes. Not too bad, but it would have been impossible just a little later in the day.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Has anyone seen Atkins brand Lemon Bars at Costco, and if so, is it a good deal to get them there? Asking for a co-worker, and a bunch of crappy, stressful events have kept me from going by to check.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
PBUC.

My wife has chronic back pain, so a while back, she tried a ThermaCare heat wrap on her lower back, and it gave her some relief. When I found out they had them at Costco, I stocked up on several packages when they went on sale. Anyway, time passed, she recently needed to use another heat wrap, and it ended up burning her skin! After we got her feeling better, I decided to return all the unopened packages for a refund. I didn't have my receipt, but figured they could look them up for me.

Well, what I didn't realize was just how long ago I bought them. Over two years ago, and a few of the packages had even expired! I was really embarrassed because I hadn't thought to check that, and I honestly didn't remember how long ago I bought them. But the good folks at the return counter called a manager over, and they decided to refund MOST of the ones I had bought -- all but the oldest, longest-ago expired packages.

I was pleasantly surprised, considering they could have told me to go gently caress myself and offered me nothing in return (as most stores would have). I figured I would try the return anyway, just in case, but it definitely went better than I expected, especially given the details. Impeccable customer service. I remain a loyal Costco member, now more than ever.

PBUC, my friends, PBUC.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
That's crazy! Sometimes I buy the Regal passes from Costco because I get Regal points even with passes, and my favorite theater is a Regal sandwiched between Rubio's Coastal Grill (fish taco joint) and a great pizzeria. I never buy the AMC passes because you actually have to pay to join the AMC loyalty program, which makes no sense to me. I can vouch for the Costco Regal passes having no restrictions.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

No Butt Stuff posted:

I hate carrots do I don't do Normandy blend.

There I said it.

I'm not a big carrot fan either, and I'm trying to cut all unnecessary carbs, and carrots surprisingly have a lot of sugar. If it was just cauliflower and broccoli, I would have bought some Normandy Blend a long time ago.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Chinatown posted:

i take it home and rip it to pieces with my hands to put in a tupperware container for easy eatin' later.

i like to whittle out all the little good bits around the bones and eat em afterwards :twisted:

My favorite part of any whole roast chicken, especially the Costco chickens, are the two "oysters," rich, dark little ovals of meat that are tucked inside some of the bones under the thigh. I assume that's what those things are. They are a special treat for me every time. Once I was at a gastropub that had sauteed chicken oysters as an appetizer, and my heart filled with joy.

By the way, on that note, chicken hearts are surprisingly delicious and healthy too, but Costco doesn't sell them.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I do wish Costco carried certain brands, though. I have to buy my Mitchum deodorant, Ivory soap, and Breath Savers mints elsewhere. And I heard a rumor Sam's Club carries Rao's pasta sauce (magnificent quality sauce, better than many Italian restaurants, but very expensive) in big bottles at a very good discount. It would be nice to be able to get Rao's at Costco too, since they often carry "upscale" brands, but what are you gonna do?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Pretty sure Costco used to sell Mitchum. It makes me sad knowing I have to go to Walmart for one measly item :(

The one by me never has, not since I've been a member (2009-ish). I stock up on the two-packs at Target and get Ivory soap there too, which is strangely becoming harder to find everywhere.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I went today, which was foolish. But I haven't restocked the freezer since before Hurricane Irma hit us, over three weeks ago, and we were out of lots of stuff. I bought a four-pack of ground turkey, a two-pack of ground bison, a pack of eight lamb loin chops (divided into two bags of four each to freeze), and a two-pack of Kirkland thick-cut bacon, plus a 40-pack of Carnation chocolate instant beverage mix for my wife, and a thing of spicy ahi tuna poke for a quick snack tonight.

I couldn't even get near the gas pumps, much less the food court. Normally I go at night after work, and today reminded me of why.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I spent over $200 at Costco tonight, which is unusual for me. The majority was getting four new printer ink cartridges for my wife, but I also got another six-pack of chicken thighs, the plumpest blueberries I've ever seen, the four-cheese tray (all cut into perfect squares for crackers), stuffed grape leaves, a canister of chocolates from around the world (well worth trying out), and I impulse-bought a big bottle of a new Robert Rothschild roasted red pepper and onion sauce, which looked really good. It was sweeter than I hoped for, but still tasty.

Oh yeah, and I got my wife the Sherpa throw, after all of you hyped it up. I never go down those aisles, so I would have never discovered it on my own, but that thing is SOFT! I felt like a lord of Winterfell when I draped it around myself, like I was covered in a pile of rabbits. Today was the first cool day of fall here in Florida, so I know she will love it when the weather dips a bit more.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

bloodysabbath posted:

Costco sells these amazing frozen pucks of French Onion soup that melt in your microwave and have cheese and croutons and are just about as good as you could hope for FO to be outside of a fancy restaurant. Add a touch of salt and pepper, Combine with a bit of bread from a BAGUETTE TWO PACK, and PBUC.

A co-worker gave me one of these French onion soup pucks over a year ago, just in the plastic wrap it came in, and I promptly forgot about it in my freezer. After Hurricane Irma, I was going through our fridge and freezer, taking stock of what was still edible, since we lost power for about 24 hours (and were luckier than most in that regard). I found it, still frozen solid, so I microwaved it. Perfection. I only wish I had saved it for any cool weather that may be forthcoming, so I might pick up more of those.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Does anyone's Costco carry Blue Hill Bay smoked whitefish? One of my two local stores used to get it once in a while -- whole, golden, beautiful smoked fish you could debone and turn into the most delicious whitefish salad. It was vacuum-packed and stocked near the smoked salmon and canned crabmeat in the refrigerated cases, usually not far from the deli meats and cheeses.

I loved it so much, but they haven't had it in over a year. I call about it from time to time, since that store is further out of my way, but they never have it and rarely even know what I'm talking about.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

canoshiz posted:

Mine does! We also have their premade whitefish salad (which I haven't tried). I wonder how much demand there actually is for it around here in the SF Bay Area, though. Definitely thought it was more of a NYC thing.

I used to find it once in a while in a suburb of Orlando, FL, which pleasantly surprised me every time. But like I said, not in a long time.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

KakerMix posted:

https://www.sisterschuberts.com/bagged-rolls/dinner-yeast-rolls/

Costco has these in 36 count bags and let me tell you, they are very good. I made everything else from scratch for Christmas dinner but not the breads, took a chance on these and wasn't disappointed. I do recommend.

I brought Sister Schubert's pull-apart Parker House yeast rolls to Thanksgiving AND Christmas Eve dinners, and they were huge hits with my family. I enjoy baking, but I've never made rolls quite as good as hers. Never had these larger dinner rolls, but they're probably similar to the pull-aparts, which means they are amazing. Light, fluffy, fragrant, perfect.

EDIT: This kind:
https://www.sisterschuberts.com/panned-rolls/parker-house-yeast-rolls/

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I was hoping to pick up a couple good ribeyes for a nice New Year's Eve dinner at home, but I'm glad I checked Costco's Sunday hours, because they open at 9 AM tomorrow. I want to be there when it opens, since weekends are crazy enough, without the added chaos of New Year's Eve Day. Not sure what else we need -- a big bag of raw almonds, probably some fruit, not sure what else, but I'm sure I'll spend more money than I intended.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I picked up two beautiful, thick Prime ribeye CAPS this morning, plus the almonds and toilet paper. In and out by 9:15, and most people still probably thought Costco wasn't even opening until 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
My home shredder finally broke, after several years. I checked for similar models at Staples, Office Max, and Target, but nothing seemed quite right. Then tonight I stopped by Costco, and right in front, at the entrance, they had a newer model of Royal shredder (the brand I had), heavy-duty, on sale for $40. It was meant to be.

While I was there, I also picked up huge multi-packs of chicken thighs and ground turkey, and a case of sugar free Red Bull and a bottle of vitamin B12 for my wife. In and out in under ten minutes. PBUC.