Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Xaris posted:

I did the Beer Advent Calendar several years ago and wasn't really impressed. Also weirdly, most of the beer was expired (not that I think beer really expires but still). I don't think I even finished it and ended up giving most away at a party. If you're really a drinker that drinks at least one beer every day, alright yeah go for it, but it's more a weekend thing for me bc work sucks so it kinda loses a bit having to open 5 days on a friday and then just not finishing it. A fair amount of them were kinda meh. I think you're better off financially and taste-wise hitting up a BevMo or something and just grabbing a collection of different beers.

Beer definitely expires, the major ones being that UV light causes it to go skunky and eventually a slight amount of air can start to leak under the cap. It's not like as soon as the expiration date hits it's dead but if you have a bottle of beer sitting in your pantry that expired 5 years ago or something then yeah it's probably not going to taste great.

Keeping glass bottles in their case or in your fridge where it's shielded from UV light and nice and cool helps. Cans are probably a bit better but will probably eventually start to have their taste change too. Nothing is really 100% impermeable on a long enough timescale, I know soda flavor changes after a couple years in the can.

They had a Sierra Nevada variety pack a couple weeks ago that was a pretty good deal, if you like their oktoberfest and their pale ale then it was like getting the other two free. Kinda lost on the New Belgium one, I know I like Fat Tire decently enough but the dark ale and winter ales were a bit meh and Voodoo Ranger is a bit powerful for casual drinking. The Duvel variety pack is good, liked everything but the IPA, but probably won't repeat because $2 a bottle is pretty stiff.

I know they're pint cans and all but the advent calendar is $3 a can and that's really on the expensive side of what I'm willing to throw down on a beer that I don't know I'm going to like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
The 'co has 6 Qt "Gourmia" air fryers for $50. I think they may have had it online for $60 previously but I've been looking for one and at this price I'm dtf.

The styling looks a lot like cuisinart.

I was looking at those snowshoes too, I don't know what I would use them for but I've always wanted a pair. I really hate cross-country skiing and snowshoeing seemed like more fun.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Pershing posted:

It may have been mentioned but this Dewalt tool kit is a great deal. Ordered it last night, I finally get to replace my mismatched collection of sockets from half a dozen toolkits. Compared prices at Home Depot, Lowe's and my local Ace...this beats them all for a comparable sized set.

Is this instore/cheaper instore? I vaguely remember seeing something similar but I don't remember if it was this specific one.

I noticed a lot of times the web store has "free shipping" but the prices are $10 higher than instore.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Nov 19, 2019

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
BTW someone asked about that air fryer. I don’t have a frame of reference but it seems nice enough and I’m enjoying using it on various frozen foods like mozzarella sticks and mini egg rolls. I was in a hurry and nuked a couple mini egg rolls in the microwave as a snack and it was gross after getting used to the air fryer.

For $50 I don’t see where you could go wrong. I got another one as a gift for my sister since they’ve been looking for one as well.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
technically it doesn't need to be a GFCI outlet, just an outlet that's on a GFCI. These days some houses have GFCI circuit breakers, and one GFCI in the circuit (eg an outlet in another bathroom or something) protects the whole circuit. So you may already have one and not know it.

Man, I'm thinking about it, but I want to replace my round toilets with extended for my extended rear end, so I don't know whether to buy a round one and enjoy it this winter, or buy it in the expectation of maybe replacing it next spring, or just hustle up and replace the toilets sooner rather than later :sigh:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

BeastOfExmoor posted:

And then enjoy the fun of finding out what else was on that GFCI and where the hell you reset it.

I once lost power to several random places in my old house due to water getting in an outside outlet during pressure washing. The actual GFCI outlet was near the washer and dryer on the opposite side of the house and the buttons were not visible due to some large device plugged into that outlet.

yup, I did this too, we had some power outages this summer and some unexpected outlets turned out to be attached to a GFCI outlet. Unexpected outlets that happened to be running my chest freezer. :smith:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
A 12 pack of 750ml bottles for $10? how is that not violating state minimums lmao

PBUC, truly the best choice for the cost sensitive hobo

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

yeah buy 'em a case of MD 20/20. Cost effective and they'll love it.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Thanks for the tip that they have sauerkraut behind the counter, this newfound blessing only deepens my thirst for wieners

Deli mustard and sauerkraut is the best, fite me irl

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

FilthyImp posted:

Hit the Co at opening this morning for some early birthday shopping. Almost grabbed a floor model 65" TV. Ut then came to my senses.

$100 of mostly baby supplies and one pair of new shoes. Skipped the dog but went for the 'Za. Will return tomorrow for proper communion.

Do not under any circumstances buy a floor model OLED if that’s what you meant

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
yeah fair, for $399 I'd take the plunge too

just don't take $200 off for an OLED television that's been running for a year nonstop, even if it's not burned in they tend to get weird color shifts over time

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
if your rear end is chapped about missing the bidet deal a few months ago, woot is running the same deal today

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
The 4% gas is really good. You also get an extra 2y warranty on major appliance purchases, and Costco has some good deals there. The reason I got a costco membership in the first place was because they had the fridge I was looking at for $350 cheaper than Menard's, so it was literally better to pay the membership and buy it through costco.

The big downside IMO is you only get rewards yearly - you get a cash card in february for the previous year's spend, so you are effectively delaying rewards by up to 14 months. 4% and waiting 14 months is not necessarily better than 3% next month, cash has time-value and you could hypothetically throw the money in something that returns way more than 4% per year.

2% in the store is also not particularly good IMO.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
You can't cut back on Costco. You will regret this!

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
How is the Wildbrine sauerkraut?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Green hatch chilies and pulled rotisserie chicken on top of a frozen mac & cheese for a Costco chili Mac? :thunk:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Cowslips Warren posted:

Cat litter is on sale at my Costco. About 50 pounds for $10. And a limit of three a day. Whyyyyyyyyyyyyy. I work with a foster program for cats, we go through this poo poo faster than toilet paper.

I actually asked about this the last time it was on sale and they told me it was a limit per checkout, and I asked if you could go through multiple times and they said yeah. It's apparently not tied to X utilizations per day on your member number or whatever.

YMMV, dunno if that's an official policy, and regardless if they notice you making relay runs day after day the manager might put the foot down. If they call you out, play innocent and try explaining and see if they'll look the other way for a good cause.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Feb 8, 2020

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
self-checkouts at a costco sounds absolutely terrible. those checkers push a lot of items through, everyone hates wating but I doubt if grandpa unloading his cart can come remotely close. that seems like an utter loss for checkout speed and space efficiency. even if you get say 4x as many lanes, which you wouldn't.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Xaris posted:

I just had to get a new card since my old one wasn't handed back and they were pushing the exec card hard, but I ended up just passing because yeah I don't think I'd pay for it. I don't drive (<50 miles a month), I don't shop at Costco more than just staples+cheese and clothes once a month, and we already have a good 3x dining/travel card. A simple 2% cashback (like citi double) is way more useful overall but it just depends on your lifestyle and needs. Someone who spends a loving assload on gas would benefit from it. Like to break event on an Exec membership compared to a simple 2% back-all, you'd have to spend $3000 on gas a year. If you have a simple 1% cash-back card, you would need to spend $2,000 a year on gas or $6,000 a year on Costco, or some mixed permutation of that. That's also assuming you aren't taking advantage of anb 5% Gas/Grocery/rotating/etc rewards cards, which also exist and are free.

I mean it's not a horrible card, but for basically a +$60 annual fee to have it, I don't feel like it's particularly great enough as it would initially seem compared to 2% back-all-purchases and a 5% back on categorical ones.

I have a BoA cash rewards card that gives me 2% at warehouse stores and I don't feel like that's a particularly rare category for a card to bonus. 2% instore for their signature store-branded branded card. In contrast, Amazon gives you 5% on the Amazon Prime card for Amazon purchases.

4% on gas anywhere is a a really good bonus (and if you want lovely filler beer Speedway/etc have some good deals on Icehouse or Milwaukee Best/Ice tallboys and that counts too).

Overall though, the card is absolutely ruined by the fact that you have to wait up to 12 months to get your cashback. They're not paying you interest on that, and I'd happily take 2-3% next month over 4% at the end of the year.

It's decent for, let's say the fourth quarter, maybe if you wanted to do a bunch of christmas shopping and didn't have another card with a warehouse store bonus, and it's really good for major appliance/TV purchases where you get costco prices plus a 4 year warranty, but overall it's kind of not that great a card.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 21, 2020

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Enos Cabell posted:

I bought a Traeger wood pellet grill and a bunch of st. louis spare ribs at the Co yesterday. Gonna fire that bad boy up here in a few.

The junior model apparently is known for having problems with temperature swings, it wanders up and down about 30 degrees. Which makes low-temp stuff a pain, if you’re trying to run 200 degrees then 30 degrees is a big chunk of that.

Some people manage to get it to behave by tweaking the p-factor on the controller, others still have problems. It kinda sounds like it’s just endemic to the way they do their controller, the bigger models have enough thermal mass to hold temp while the pellet feed “pauses”, the junior doesn’t.

I got one, read about it online, and changed my mind and took it back. There are bigger smokers available for $350, sure you may have to fiddle with them but the Traeger apparently isn’t plug and play either.

I saw they now have Louisiana Smoker vertical smokers available for I think $400 ish? I haven’t seen reviews but it’s a much bigger one for a similar price to the junior/much cheaper than the equivalent Traegers.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Feb 29, 2020

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
At the suggestion of someone earlier in the thread, I ran into town to get some extra pet food since I'm down to maybe half a bag each of cat and dog food. The store in town was jam packed, easily 50-100% more traffic than normal even for sunday. It was a madhouse and I decided not to get a dog. I ran some other errands in town (needed to hit the butcher for some skirt steak and wanted to run through Menards for some stuff) and then went to the "out of town" one on my way home and grabbed a dog there. That one was practically empty, although I did get there like 15 minutes before they closed.

Both stores were out of Kirkland toilet paper and it looked like people were taking paper towels instead :lol: The out of town store had maybe a half pallet of Charmin' left. Water was getting hit hard but both stores still had maybe a half dozen pallets out.

Pet food makes sense to me, it's largely made in china and if supply chains get disrupted it's good to have a couple months stocked up. I don't really get what the draw for water and toilet paper are though? It's not an earthquake or hurricane where water supply is going to be hosed up, even if you have to hole up in your house there's still probably gonna be water service (if you're city water) and electric (if you're well water). I guess if you are low on toilet paper then by all means stock up but I don't see a specific need in this situation. And I don't get why you'd buy water at all.

Menards is sold out of hand sanitizer and masks but that's nothing new, those supply chains have been turbofucked for a month or two now.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Mar 2, 2020

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

FogHelmut posted:

If you'd have bought that bidet seat, you wouldn't need to make a run on TP.

it's on sale again fyi, definitely the galaxy brain move considering the TP shortage

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Cartoon Man posted:

Why there no Kirkland personal lubricant?

that's what the coconut oil is for

https://twitter.com/jillreports/status/1233870486670495745

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

No Butt Stuff posted:

Same. I went in yesterday because I have 3 rolls left and all the tp was gone. There were only two pallets of water left, and people were starting to hoard paper towels.

He who controls the TP, controls the universe.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

FCKGW posted:

Only way to break the TP scarcity issue is to flood the market with Kirland 2-ply.

time to flood the zone, if you know what I mean

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
wait, you guys are getting kimchi?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
how's the 'co's corned beef? Kroger has it for $3/lb, is it worth paying $4.50 for the costco brand?

seems like one of those things that might be all kinda the same thing.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Renegret posted:

My Costco looked like a tornado hit it. The line was up to the clothing section when I got there but luckily they got it under control by the time I was ready to check out.

The door greeters greeted every customer with an exhausted "no water, toilet paper, and paper towels" abandoned carts littered the store and empty boxes weren't cleared out, I think it was all hands on deck at the front lines.

The frozen section was ravaged, but there was plenty of fresh produce.

I grabbed some produce, corned beef and potatoes, some body wash, a hot dog, and got the gently caress out of there. Still spent a hundred loving dollars because it's Costco.

Boomers finally figured out that Coronavirus is the real deal after Trump’s address last night. I stopped at Kroger on the way home and I was shocked, it was stripped half bare. My friend said Meijer was the same way.

I have purchased a shotgun to defend my toilet paper, so none of you unwashed buttholes better try anything.

He who controls the toilet paper, controls the universe.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Mar 13, 2020

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

PerniciousKnid posted:

I was planning to but I might wait a few days. I need bread dammit.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Virigoth posted:

Gonna go tithe at the pumps tonight but not enter the main sanctuary. I expect very angry rich soccer moms to be prowling about for victims.

go on...

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Chinatown posted:

Then you can pickle em!!! I like mine mucho aspicy so I add some cut up habaneros into the brine. :D

I really need to do some pickled asparagus this year, I love it but it's like $6 for a tiny jar.

That was one thing I was disappointed about, I'd seen some references that Costco might carry it but it turns out they don't (anymore?).

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
What's the normal price for TP? Costco has it on their website for $27 for 36 rolls, not sure how much shipping they're folding into the item cost there.

https://www.costco.com/kirkland-signature-ultra-soft-bath-tissue%2c-36-rolls.product.100284187.html

Obviously right now it's scarce instore and an extra $5 or $10 beats standing in line for a chance at buying some.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

BeastOfExmoor posted:

loving good. I hope they stick with this.

Depending on how serious they are about encouraging workers to work from home, it's functionally the same as closing campus with the upside of allowing people with personal issues that would prevent them from actually "working from home" to have a place to go. I've never felt less in danger of contracting a virus then the day I went in to my Seattle-area office last week. Literally 10,000sq ft of office space with less people present than I could count on one hand.

edit: Seems like things are finally turning in Seattle. Even with a 250 person occupancy limit, the wait is only 15 minutes once the morning rush dies out from what I'm hearing. Still quite a bit of stuff out of stock though, apparently.

And on literally the polar opposite end of the Spectrum (heh) you have Charter Communications.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
just use a sponge on a stick, if it’s good enough for the romans it’s good enough for you goons

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Here, they actually sell those in the metal pans like Mac and cheese and it never occurred to me to try cooking them on the stovetop.

I wasn’t super impressed with it when baked but maybe it’ll be better in a skillet.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

i am harry posted:

It's a cooking show and the lady says almost word-for-word what you said about it being rancid. Olive oil should be fresh and spicy. None of the real stuff exists here because it's bad by the time it arrives.

heh, a chance to plug my favorite spoof of a cooking show, Posh Nosh, where the hosts are better than you, and not just at cooking.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

EVG posted:

Quarantine cleaning means that I've finally cleared out a closet to become a pantry and have space for a chest freezer - things we had planned for before The Troubles began. Of course, now you can't get a chest freezer anywhere for love or money. I found one on CraigsList that is 3.5 cu ft and at first I was worried that would be too small, until I read this review:

Does the 'Co carry 14-packs of briskets? :D I've already named my Freezer-to-Be as the Costco Box.

to really make you eat your heart out - Costco was clearing out their old model of chest freezer over the winter for $99 (normally $160, on sale for $130). The new model is all-weather capable though so you don't have to worry about running it below freezing.

My freezer is half full of film and I was thinking about getting a completely separate one just for the film, but money was tight at the time, unfortunately.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

EVG posted:

Laaaaaaaaaaaame! Super jealous.

I never thought about storing film in a freezer.

Yeah it has a maybe 3-5 year shelf life under normal-ish storage conditions but will keep indefinitely if frozen. You can score some good deals if you catch other people cleaning out their freezers and it significantly reduces the cost of shooting film.

That matters especially since film has jumped to $7+ a roll and even as high as $10 a roll for slide film. I basically paid about a third of that on average for my stockpile.

Over in The Dorkroom we’ve been musing over what’s going to happen to film production and processing with the quarantine. Nothing good, I imagine - the bigger labs will be OK but there were a lot of small labs that were already kind of on the edge that probably won’t re-open. And who knows what happens with the film production itself.

Fortunately things have really stabilized from where they were 10 years ago. Kodak “right-sized” its capacity in the naughties and is actually developing new stuff and re-introducing some discontinued stuff. Ilford re-organized and got out of bankruptcy, they’re generally right-sized at this point too. Fuji remains incompetent in general but is showing signs of moving in the right direction. Generally the market has been buoyed by a huge resurgence in Hollywood films shot on real film, they shoot much bigger volumes than amateurs, and that will probably continue at some point here. The big guys will survive, it’s the little independent labs in random cities that are going to have a tough time.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

binge crotching posted:

It's down to $2.40/gallon at my local, which is almost a dollar lower than it was 6 weeks ago.

oh, you're paying too much for gas, man, who's your gas guy?

paid $1.29 yesterday, it's down to $1.25 at the other one in town

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Cuban sandwich with costco pork shoulder, costco mastercarve ham, and costco artisan rolls. Roasted the pork in a mojo marinade.

pbuc