Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Cool+1 Hard-1 Hot+2 Sharp+1 Weird=0
Harm 0:00 xp 2/5 Barter 1

I squeeze Lyric into me. "You secure in my arms is all I ever need, love." I try to quell the doubts and jealousy. I was feeling competitive with Monsoon during, but Lyric is here in my arms and not snuggling with the lady. She was nearly lost to both of us. Monsoon handled that, but it isn't like I didn't try. I put myself at more risk, I'm sure Lyric understands that.
My mind wanders back to the cult of the desert. Their representative harassing me to paint their cathedral. Maybe it would be better to just make them happy to try to wash my hands of them...
Of course they wouldn't cross Leatherhead. Even Salt would pull every string she could to make sure the sandmen weren't messing with anything that would help her down the line. Of course with the captain dead those two probably have their hands full. I might be on my own again after all.

My sleeve around her neck reminds me, funds have been tight. "I guess I might need to get that replaced." I chuckle, but its rueful. I don't mind. I'd do anything for Lyric. But I won't enjoy scraping the bottom of the barrel either. "I'll have to come up with something. It's just some rag."

Lyric give your poor girl some jingle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nil.
Nov 11, 2012



Cool +1 | Hard +0 | Hot +1 | Sharp +2 | Weird -1
Harm: 0:00 | XP: 3/5 | Angel Kit: 6/6 | Barter: 1

I search the alleys of Thames for anything else going on when I hear more screams, curses, the gasping of the dying. Not Iris. I cannot see her anymore. No, that's... yes, that's Twilight. And she is tangling with the Drowned Men. No, that's not quite right. She is slaughtering them, taking down one by one, every silent report of her rifle making another body drop, every loud crack of the Drowned Men's pistols not even making her flinch. Part of me wants to be furious at the ever increasing maw of chaos Thames seems to be pulled into, no, pushed into by mindless or uncaring fools, but I cannot help but acknowledge the sheer skill I am seeing. I cannot help but think about what I could accomplish with someone like that.

Of course, that Twilight set out to protect Iris and, as far as I can see, seems off the table right now is concerning. Especially in light of the agreement I made with her. But still...

The noises of combat are closing in, coming closer to my clinic. Inevitable, really, I climb down from the roof, down the ladder, and once again carry it back inside. In my head, I play through me asking Twilight whether she actually knows what she is doing or whether she just started shooting people. I play it out and then put it away, under lock and key in my head. It's no use giving in to that, and it's much better to look towards the future and not piss off Twilight. If we had a couple of soldiers like that back in the Legionnaires - what could have stopped us?

"Noah, Maya. We'll have someone coming. I'll take care of it. You keep working." I scratch my chin. "Yellow, I want you to check in here often, alright? So I can see if anything changes. And you can keep an ear on the ground for me in the meantime, okay? Just... what's going on in Thames. Word on he street. Okay." I nod at Maya, and Noah, sticking his head in through a doorway. They both heard the gunshots, I know. "Get to work."

I for my part lean against the wall just outside the clinic, waiting, thinking. From what I've seen, the Drowned Men are pretty much wiped out. They never were the most vicious gang here, in my eyes, but vicious enough. And now they're gone... Word travels fast in Thames, of course, but not that fast. People tend to keep their heads down for at least a bit after the bullets start flying. So right now, with the Drowned Men gone, there might be some opportunities for those that are fast enough, before everything settles. We'll see.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006




Hard =0 | Cool -2 | Hot +1 | Sharp +1 | Weird +2
Harm 6:00 | Experience: 3/5 | 3-barter

I push myself up, and look at Inque with worry, "No! No! This is not just a rag!" I clasp her hand, and squeeze tight, "This is a cherished gift from you! You, the one who was willing to risk her life for my own!" Strange, why are my eyes getting blurry? "You-you had no idea what they were going to do to me, yet, you were willing to take my place, without a second thought! And all I did... all I did... was worry you, and make you doubt yourself." Water is leaking from my eyes, and I do not understand why. "You are important! More precious than metal! My songbird! My Inque!" I blurted out, almost without a second thought. I throw my arms around her, and kiss her deeply. Yes. She is mine, and I am hers, and I will do anything for her.

Our lips eventually move apart, and I look at her again, with tender eyes. "Ah!" I say, as an idea starts to pop in my head, "You said you had trouble with funds, yes? I can help with that!" I stand up, and run to my work desk, where a makeshift safe lies. I input the code, and produce a bag of jingle from the now-open safe. I run back excitingly to Inque, and sit down next to her. "Look! Look!" I shake the bag in front of her, "I have spare jingle! Here! Here!" I lay the bag near her, and give a big smile, "It is not much, but it will help! Is there anything else you need!?"

Lyric's giving 2 jingle to her girlfriend.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Cool+1 Hard-1 Hot+2 Sharp+1 Weird=0
Harm 0:00 xp 2/5 Barter 3

My eyes light up when I see what's in the bag. I can't help myself. "That's more than enough!" I pull her in and barrage her with kisses. "You spoil me as always, love. I don't know what I would do without you." At this point I've forgotten Lady Monsoon was even in the room anymore.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Cool -1 | Hard +3 | Hot -2 | Sharp +1 | Weird +2
Harm 0:00 | Experience: 3/5 | 1-barter

The blood raging through my veins calmed down as the Drowned Men rapidly become dead men. The thrill of the hunt which had filled me had vanished, replaced with a sense of disappointment. After the first brief exchange, it seemed as though I was the only one left standing. I replaced the magazine in my rifle with practiced ease. Between my expert marksmanship and the high-caliber ammunition, it hadn't taken much to eliminate my prey. This was still a poor choice of venue to make a stand, however, so I continued along the narrow streets of Thames. Water sloshed at my feet, stained red with the blood of the fallen, as I continued on. I could see Abel's clinic off in the distance.

It would make sense to rendezvous with Abel and plan for the next few days. I would reconvene with Iris, of course, but I had little idea where Sparks was holed up in relation to where I was. I was still disoriented from the Hunt's hunger. Assuming Iris was successful in silencing Sparks, we'd have a little breathing room before the warring between factions started in earnest. Whichever was most closely aligned with the Drowned Men would be weakened by their losses as well. Hm. Were I to keep to the spirit of Abel's agreement, I may need to even the odds and strike at another minor gang. It would be worth discussing potential targets.

I finally stomped on up to the clinic, seeing Abel waiting for me outside. I brushed a few splatters of blood and gore from my poncho and holstered my rifle. I raised a hand in greeting, "Hey, Abel. Been a bit of an exciting trip through the slums."

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.



Cool +1 | Hard -2 | Hot-1 | Sharp +2 | Weird +2
Harm: 3:00 | XP: 3+1/5 | Barter: 6

"Fade, it's all right. I'll bring him back later. Just stay here." While I'm talking, I watch her. She's clearly not going to just let us leave right now. Gotta figure out how to deal with her first.

[16:36] <Heliotrope> Read Fade
[16:36] <Heliotrope> !r 2d6+2
[16:36] <Krysmbot> Heliotrope, 10+2 = 12
I have 3 Hold, spending the first one to ask "What does Fade intend to do?"
Marking XP for rolling Sharp


She intends to protect her brother and, if possible, get him out of your evil clutches

I say to Fade, "Nothing bad will happen to your brother, but I can't guarentee that if you're going to try to interfere with my business."

"Wh-what do you mean?? We never did anything to you! Your business? What the gently caress?"

"Your brother knows, but it'd be best if you didn't." I look at Sparks. "Come with me now." I start heading to the door, but keep an eye on Fade. She probably won't give up this easily.

Spending a hold to ask "How could I get Fade to back off?"

You feel like, if you gave her some solid guarantee he'd be safe, she'd let him go without a fuss
collateral or similar

"You know what I can do right? And my connection with the Maelstrom? Your brother will be safe. If there's something you want to me to do to prove it I'm willing, but time is short right now."

"What do you w-want with him?" If you give her an honest explanation, that'll be enough

"Something happened this morning that he saw, and both me and Twilight want to make sure things don't get too out of hand in the upcoming days. We just want to talk to him before going ahead and investigating some more."

She looks helplessly at Sparks, who just kind of blinks at her. Eventually she lowers the knife, sits in a chair and curls up in a ball, holding her knees. "Fine. Fine! Do what you want." She's sobbing pretty hard. "Please just... just bring him back..."

Spending my last hold to ask "Is your character telling the truth?"

Yes
She'll wait here and be miserable until you bring him back

I head out with Sparks and ask "Do you have an gun of your own? If so, please give me mine back."

Sparks looks pained. "Y... yes..." he says, looking at his sister. He hands you your 9mm, but doesn't move to get his gun, wherever it is.

"All right, go get it and then we'll head out and meet up with Twilight." I wait for him to do that.

He clomps over to the bed and pulls a fairly nice-looking pistol out from under it. "F-Fade... I-I-I got this to protect... protect Fade." He gives you a pathetic, pleading look. (he'll bring it if you insist, he's just not gonna be happy about it, at all)

"Well, if you want to leave it here I guess you can." Might have to find another gun for him. "Let's go." I open the backdoor and start heading out, looking to find Twilight.

Sparks leaves the gun on the table, stares back for just a moment, then trudges after you. Fade says nothing.

After we step out, I wait for a moment to consult with the Maelstrom. "Where is Twilight?" I ask it. Hopefully nothing too bad has happened to her.
[19:11] <Heliotrope> Open Your Brain
[19:11] <Heliotrope> !r 2d6+2
[19:11] <Krysmbot> Heliotrope, 10+2 = 12


The Maelstrom's voice is filled with cruel joy. It speaks of blood, and pain, and destruction... Twilight walks a red path, staining the walls as she goes. Finally she reaches the Angel's infirmary, and you can see the red creeping up the walls, spattering the tools and knives he uses, the cleanliness of his hands steeped in crimson. Sparks starts to weep, though you don't know why

I blink in shock at what I see. Maybe...maybe there's something else to it? But no, it seems Twilight was responsible for the screaming earlier. But know I know where she is. I need to find out why she did what she did. "Sparks, we're heading to Abel's." I look at him for a moment. "Why are you crying?"

"I... I dunno," he says.

I go to Abel's place with Sparks.

Heliotrope fucked around with this message at Nov 23, 2016 around 17:28

nil.
Nov 11, 2012



Cool +1 | Hard +0 | Hot +1 | Sharp +2 | Weird -1
Harm: 0:00 | XP: 3/5 | Angel Kit: 6/6 | Barter: 1

By reflex, I raise my hand as well when Twilight approaches and greets me - not that I mind these old instincts. For a brief moment I wonder whether her brushing off the gore of her enemies is for my benefit, but I quickly settle on it most likely being second nature to her, like shouldering that rifle. "I saw." I point at my binoculars.

For a few seconds, we just stand there, the always-rain pouting onto me, dripping off of Twilight's poncho, spilling the blood on it onto the ground in front of my clinic. But it is not unfamiliar to that, not by far. "I'd normally ask you where you are hit, but..." I look her over, again, this time so she can see. "...that's not necessary, is it?" I shake my head, but there is the beginning of an appreciative smile on my face despite myself, despite the fact that Twilight slaughtered a couple of folk without any good reason that I can see. Because for one thing, I cannot help but appreciate the sheer efficiency of it, the potential in it, and also - it wasn't exactly the Bluecoats sucking up the rain, just the Drowned Men. Just some gang, and they are like sharks in the water. Get rid of one, and there'll always be more.

I breathe out and put things in order in my head. "Well, come on in. You might not need to be patched up, but everybody appreciates a roof over the head." I motion with my thumb and head in, opportunities, risks, plans making a nest in my head.

"Noah, Maya, this is Twilight, she'll stick around for a bit until the current mess blows over. She's trouble, but the kind of trouble that'll make people think twice about bringing their trouble over my doorstep." I sweep around the room with my arm, as if it was that much to look at. "Twilight, my assistants. Noah and Maya. You're not going to be any trouble to each other." I give Noah a look, him getting any kind of new ideas is all I need. "Oh, and a patient. Never mind her." I see that Yellow has turned and is only showing us her 'good side', her afflicted arm held close to her body, pushed into the darker corners of the room. It's understandable, but I doubt Twilight would give a drat. "Give us the room, would you?"

I wait for them to leave - they don't need to hear what I'm going to discuss with Twilight. I indicated one of the barrels for Twilight to sit down on, and, after a few moments of searching, hold up a jar of brine fish. Helped make those myself. "Hungry?" I fetch some for myself, then drop down onto the barrel next to her. And once again, there are these moments of silence between us. Because I don't know her, but then again, I can make some guesses. Good enough. I finish chewing and instead of looking at her look out into the rain, into the rest of Thames.

"Didn't really make things more stable, did you?" I hold up my hand, placating, softening what sounds like an accusation. "But things are as they are. And from what I could see, it was decisive. Overwhelming. Didn't just shoot some idiot, and never mind who is at fault, and left behind a mob out for blood, dragging them towards my door. So." I shrug. "Could be worse. And, if you're willing, with your skills, maybe we can get something good out of this." I look at her, without really turning my head. "For Thames. And for us, personally."

"Here's what I'm thinking." I sit up straight, roll another of the barrels over to us with one hand as a table and gather up a few odds and ends with the other hand - stones, empty narcostabs, bottle caps. I lay them out on the barrel, forming a crude map of Thames. "The Drowned Men are as good as finished. They're not going to come back and over the next few days, what remains of them will be absorbed into one of the other gangs. But - not yet. That blood is still fresh, which means that some idiots may still think that the Drowned Men aren't dead. On the one hand, that might mean some fools going for reprisals..." I glance at Twilight's rifle, slung over her shoulder. "... seriously misguided reprisals. On the other hand, the sharks don't know yet there's fresh dead meat in the water. They will soon, but if we're fast, we can stay ahead of them."

I lean over my battle plan, my map of Thames. "We are here. You fought there. The Drowned Men have their stash here. If I had to guess, I would say one or two of them still remaining there with no idea what is going on. And some weapons, some of this month's protection jingle they haven't wasted yet and some of that Gutthresher they've been brewing on the side." I look up. "I don't recommend it. Those that don't listen to that give me good business though, if they still have jingle left by the time they're..." I wave it away with my hand. "Not important. So. From what I figure, that is there for the taking. Someone is going to take it in the next few hours, once they figure out the Drowned Men are dead." I shrug. "It might as well be us."

"By the way, I saw Iris here." I point at the map. "Ran into some trouble too, from what I saw. Figure you got split up?" In my mind, I am not that sure that that is what exactly happened, but I'm not going to push it. "Former Drowned Men territory. We could check in on her, catch two fish with one hook." I look at her in the dim light of my clinic, and try to see through her - and even though I know I am playing with danger, this feels right, like the weight of a rifle in my hand. "So, what do you say? It's not all, but, one thing after another." I put another piece of brine fish from the jar next to me in my mouth. "What do you say?"

nil. fucked around with this message at Nov 23, 2016 around 20:16

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Cool -1 | Hard +3 | Hot -2 | Sharp +1 | Weird +2
Harm 0:00 | Experience: 3/5 | 1-barter

I'd say I was a little offended by his mention of going back on our deal, but I was still too pumped up from the hunt to pay it much mind. The taste of blood lingered in my mouth, intoxicating my senses. I grinned instead, "They ended up making some poor decisions. I was looking for Sparks, but got split up from Iris and found his friends instead. It's like you with-" I indicated the clinic. "-this operation. You make people pay to get fixed up, right? They get ideas if you let things slide. I let Sparks walk last time he jumped me. Gave him a warning to take to his crew. One of his friends decided to take another shot at me today. A fatal mistake. I don't brook broken contracts or people trying to take me down."

As he laid down the map, I started building connections between the routes I had walked with Iris and fought through. It'd be good to know the slums. Know the terrain. I nodded when he mentioned going after the stash. It made sense. Split the take with Abel for the intel and boost my reserves a bit. Might even be a weapon or two worth a look, though I was doubtful based on the crap pistols the ones I fought had been using. I looked at Abel as he ate another piece of fish, "Sounds reasonable. Whoever they left at their stash isn't going to be ready for what I can bring. What we can bring. Your kids going to be okay here on their own?"

nil.
Nov 11, 2012



Cool +1 | Hard +0 | Hot +1 | Sharp +2 | Weird -1
Harm: 0:00 | XP: 3/5 | Angel Kit: 6/6 | Barter: 1

I can't help but chuckle at her calling Maya and Noah my 'kids'. I suppose it might seem that way. It's just that good help in my trade needs a more understanding touch than in a gang, a fisher, a butcher. That's all it is. You may make a young kid into a more vicious killer by beating them, but the same doesn't go for one that needs to heal. Needs to know how to keep together, not tear apart. That's all. And besides, this is the best place for Maya after her incident, and Noah, well, if he keeps his head on straight, he'll continue to be a big help, might even manage to make a proper suture these days.

But I'm getting off track. Eyes front. "Yeah, they'll be fine. The storm's not in full force yet, and it's not heading this way. Not yet. Much more likely where we'll be." I grin ever so slightly. I can't deny it, occasionally, I forget the horror and I miss going out there, into the danger, with just a gun and machete in my hands. Some things never die in you until you do, I suppose. "But better to be prepared."

"Noah! Maya!" I bellow their names, and after a moment they show up, and wonder whether they were listening, just out of sight. "I'm heading out, going to be back soon. Like I said, there might be trouble, but not yet. If trouble is coming.... Noah, get the bell ready, okay?" An old bell I got from a similarly old captain that lost his leg to some maw of the sea, and didn't have enough jingle to pay me for keeping him from bleeding out. It was a good trade - that thing can be heard across most of Thames, and the trained ear can tell it apart from the ones the other ships, like Smoke's use. "You ring that, I come running. We come running." I scratch my chin. I have to use everything available to me. "Yellow!" After a moment, she appear. I figure she was waiting, not wanting to intrude. "How are you eyes? I'd like to ask you to help out here for just a bit. Could you get up on the roof and tell Noah and Maya if you see trouble heading this way? You can head out before it ever gets here." I make a weighing motion. "Maya can get you a painkiller for your thing before that. Free of charge. Maya, light dose, Oh Solution." Maya nods - that stuff is majorly watered down, but I don#t want to give Yellow any strong stuff before figuring out what's wrong with her.

"Alright." I nod to them, to my... assistants. "Take care. We'll be back."

I offer Twilight some of the brine fish for the last time, then head out, out into the rain, out of the earshot of the others. Making my preparations for Noah and Maya distracted me long enough that I no longer feel the urge to act on my suspicion that things might not have gone down between the Drowned Men and twilight exactly like she told me. Sure, letting things slide isn't something you should do. But wiping out the entire gang for the offense of one member? Either things got out of hand, or Twilight is prone to a disproportionate response. Which might be all well and good out there in the Nothing, but even though the Drowned Men were just a gang, they were still a part of Thames. And as far as I know, Sparks wasn't anywhere near being some mover in the Drowned Men, so putting the pressure on him and expecting the gang to follow speaks to a misunderstanding how this works.

But, what's done is done and I work with what I work. "Let's go." I let Twilight walk a step in front of me, but I'm close enough that she can still hear me, even through the rain. We're not in former Drowned Men territory yet, so this is the time to talk. "I think you just made a name for yourself today. Or you will, after word gets around." A moment passes, and I take the opportunity to scan the buildings around us, the roofs, listening for anything, anyone lurking. "If you want my advise, I'd say that you should keep an eye on the leader-to-be situation in Thames for now, and not angle with anymore gangs. Not without reason, anyway." I shrug. " What good is a fight if you're not in it to gain something?"

We're approaching an invisible line, beyond which just a day ago you'd start seeing the belaying pins o the Drowned Men. "Twilight, hold up. One thing." I step forward, and turn to face her. I raise my hand, and wordlessly perform a series of gestures with my hand held up - two people, ahead, elevated, armed. Just like they told me, back when I did this for a living. I look at Twilight's eyes, her posture, to see whether she understands, whether she looks towards the roofs ahead. Not that there is anyone lying in wait for us there - not yet, anyway.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Cool -1 | Hard +3 | Hot -2 | Sharp +1 | Weird +2
Harm 0:00 | Experience: 3/5 | 1-barter

I accept the piece of fish and gnaw on it as we start walking. I shrug, "Fair advice. I'm not exactly eager to clear out every two-bit gang of hoodlums. Chances are that I'll be back on the hunt for those sharks soon enough. Especially if First Mate comes through and honors the contract I made with Diego."

The battle with the Drowned Men had been a bit of a disappointment. The barest taste of adrenaline in the brief exchange of gunfire as I fought my way free. Nothing like the animals that laid claim to the territory between holds. Each engagement could turn in an instant. Attacks from unexpected angles. Bizarre weaponry. The tenacity to fight even as they were riddled with holes and bleeding to death. Though, to hear that the Drowned Men were merely the bottom-feeders of Thames did give hope that there would be some sport to come. I could feel my edge fading as I remained in the relative comfort of Thames.

Abel stops us and begins to make a series of hand gestures. I don't understand all of them, but a few seem similar to Pacifica's hunting symbols. Specifically, I understood 'two high.' Context suggested that he was likely talking about shooters rather than deer. My hand fell toward my rifle as I scanned the rooftops surrounding us, not spotting any immediate threats. There were a few oddballs lying out in the rain, but nothing that suggested they would be a problem. I turned back to him with a raised eyebrow, "I don't see anything. Two high, right?"

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.



Cool +3 | Hard -1 | Hot +2 | Sharp =0 | Weird -1
Harm 0:00 | Exp 1/5 | Barter 2

Ahhh.... "I've been well paid," Lyric's smile is returned with enthusiasm, and her kiss more-so. That was everything I could have asked for, the perfect way to settle my blood from the fight, and I couldn't have asked for better partners. But the night - or day, whatever - is done, and it's time to move on. Before Lyric can get fully cozied up to her, I take up Inque's hand and kiss the back of her fingers, then climb out of our pile. "A pleasure~ If you two ever need me..." They might not know where to find me... "I'll always willing to help."

For a price, anyway. A few quick movements have my clothing back on, and I head for the door, maybe a bit slower than usual. That was a workout! I think... I'll go see if the leadership fight is working itself out yet. Readjusting Captain's hat on my head, I step out into the rain once more.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006




Hard =0 | Cool -2 | Hot +1 | Sharp +1 | Weird +2
Harm 6:00 | Experience: 3/5 | 3-barter

Ah, what a wonderful... morning? Evening? It is hard to tell. Yes, there has been much sadness and grief today, and what has happened to Bolt is unfortunate, but it was all worth it for the time with my Inque and Lady. To be together as one, while they sing for us... it is an experience like no other. But, as they say, all good things must end, and I must go back to work now. Ah, so many things to do, so little time.

Hmmmm. The lift is still in need of healing, but without Bolt pressuring me, I am able to take my time fixing it. Yes, there is no rush. I can now focus on my more important projects, like the undersea boat, and- Ah! Yes! The doctor! He said he had wanted to collaborate on a project together! I should go and see what it is he needs (I doubt it will be as pleasant as the collaboration with Lady and Inque, hehe). Oh, yes, clothes. I must put on clothes first before I leave.

"Innnnnnquuueeee~" I skip along to Inque, and wrap my arms around her neck. I nuzzle her cheeks with my own, "I need to go. I have business with the doctor. Please take care, my precious one~" I give her a loving kiss, before I leave her. I grab my tools, my lucky shotgun, and make my way towards his infirmary, humming a merry tune in the rain.

nil.
Nov 11, 2012



Cool +1 | Hard +0 | Hot +1 | Sharp +2 | Weird -1
Harm: 0:00 | XP: 3/5 | Angel Kit: 6/6 | Barter: 1

I nod to myself with appreciation as I watch Twilight, her practised movements in response to mine. "Yeah, two high. Not right now, though, I just wanted to test whether you understood this. Figured you had some sort of training." I shake out the hand I motioned with, look around. "And don't worry, the next time I do this, it'll not be a test. I think we both know stuff like this is not for messing around, same as pointing a gun at people." I shrug. "You had a contract with Diego? I suppose that's one point in favour of making sure First Mate ends up on top of the pile, after this current mess. She's the most likely to honour your contract, yeah, but not while Thames hasn't settled down yet. Right now..." I look out towards Thames, the jumble of it, and try to imagine all the people, what they are thinking, what's driving them. A thing that's alive, confused and doesn't always know what's best for it - but it's what we're working with. "Right now she and a lot of other people would be concerned with another kind of shark."

Again, I shrug. I know I'm jabbering. "I have a meeting coming up with First Mate. If you decided to tag along, there'd be some more options we could offer, and maybe get some offers in return. Thames needs to settle down again, so we can all get back to our business." In a way, it feels like I am wasting time, but it is important that I tell Twilight this. I have no idea if I am getting through to her, but there's no use in not trying.

Suddenly, the skin at the back of my head prickles. Several footsteps, approaching, sound and vibrations trough the rain, via the planks. The prickling subsides a little - the footsteps aren't hurried or trying to be stealthy, confident, but not with the confidence of violence. "Someone heading this way. Not intending trouble yet." And then, out from the rain comes... Iris, with someone in tow. Someone looking decidedly unhappy to be here. That is Sparks, which is a bit of a surprise to me. Based on what happened to the Drowned Men and what Iris and Twilight set out to do originally, I figured he'd by lying in a pool of rainwater by now, face down. "Iris. Everything alright?" I take a longer look at her, try to see whether there are any wounds, even those she may not be aware of. "Hurt anywhere? And... I see you brought company. Bit surprising."

But there were more footsteps. From a different direction, someone else walks in on our suddenly growing gathering. It is Lyric, looking vaguely flushed and far more at ease than everyone else here, even taking into account her usual different take on things. Is this about my project? I feel slightly amused at the timing of everything, everyone closing in on me just when I was about to head out. But juggling all of these strings, keeping them apart, untangling them when I can, that is what I need to be good at these days. "Hi, Lyric. I was just about to head out. This about our cooperation on each other's project? I can give you the main idea, but, right now, bit under time pressure."

nil. fucked around with this message at Nov 24, 2016 around 08:16

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006




Hard =0 | Cool -2 | Hot +1 | Sharp +1 | Weird +2
Harm 6:00 | Experience: 3/5 | 3-barter

Ah! There he is! Good, I am glad I did not miss him. "Dooooooctttttttooooooooooooooorrrrr~♪" I raise my arm high in the air, and wave it at him as I make my approach. Oh, he is not the only one here? Who is that next to him? Is that the Noisemaker, Twilight with him? Ah, the noise around her is louder and more piercing than usual. Hm. If she is involved with the doctor, then this will be trouble.

"Yes," I nod at the doctor, "I had hoped to talk to you about working on our chorus together, but it seems as if you are preoccupied at the moment. Am I correct?" Was there anything else I wanted to talk to him about? Oh! Yes! I almost forgot! "Oh, there is another reason I came to visit! I had a situation today. A bad one, yes?" I lower the sleeve on my neck, to show him the deep cut made by Bolt's knife, "Would you be able to do anything about this? It, ah, still stings quiet a bit."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Cool -1 | Hard +3 | Hot -2 | Sharp +1 | Weird +2
Harm 0:00 | Experience: 3/5 | 1-barter

Call it nerves, call it being amped up from the fight, but the sudden appearance of Lyric, Iris, and Sparks is almost enough to push me back into the depths of the Hunt. I take a ragged breath and manage to keep my hand from going to my gun. Instead, I look them up and down. Other than the gash on her neck, Lyric seems in remarkably good spirits. There's a faint scent lingering on her. Blood, but not her own. Perhaps it belonged to whoever gave her that cut? Interesting. I didn't think she had it in her. Sparks looks distinctly unhappy, but he's alive. That's more than he would have gotten from me. I'll need to keep an eye on him. Especially if he found out that I massacred the better part of his little group.

I brush a little water off of my face, "Hello, Lyric. Looks like you've found some excitement today." I turn towards Iris and add, "Hey, Iris. Sorry about earlier. Got a little lost and ran into some of his friends. Easily remedied. Things go fine on your end?"

nil.
Nov 11, 2012



Cool +1 | Hard +0 | Hot +1 | Sharp +2 | Weird -1
Harm: 0:00 | XP: 3/5 | Angel Kit: 6/6 | Barter: 1

At first glance, some people might think that Lyric might be 'touched in the head', and technically, they might not be wrong. But usually when people think that, they see someone that's easy to take advantage of, and near as I can figure, that's not what Lyric is. If she was, she wouldn't still have her workshop, her creations, her jingle, same as me. So what if a touch of madness is in her? At least she turns it to something constructive, and not to preaching yet another end to the world from a corner while soiling herself. "Hi Lyric." My voice is friendly, because even though she is odd, she still greeted me as if seeing me was the high point of her day.

My attention refocuses, changes, once she shows me her injury. I notice that it's likely from a knife - and that the angle is not consistent with her holding the the implement. But, not my business. "Let me see that." I close in on her neck, brush over it with my hand, turn her head a little, shielding the immediate wound from the rain with my own head while I push away the bindings someone already applied. "You did the bandages? ... no, someone else. Tell them it's acceptable." I turn her head another time, gently, then put the bandages back in place. "It's nothing serious. Or, anyway, it's not going to get worse. The wound will need to heal with time. I could get my assistants to give you a better binding, if you want. But your own body is going to do most of the work" I back off and consider. Getting Lyric as a customer would be good business, both for my normal work and my more ambitious projects. "If you keep working - and I don't doubt you will - it's going to sting. I could get you on chillstabs and speed up the recovery that way, but you're going to be out of it for a good while."

I shrug. "Those are the options. All in all, you're going to be fine."

Behind me, Twilight greets our newcomers. I sense a tenseness in her, or imagine I do. Then again, the only situations I have seen her in were tense, either by hers or others' making. And that's not going to change in the near future, but maybe it's better this way. Figure her and Iris will exchange some words and I might overhear whatever it is that is going on with Sparks. That gives me a chance to at least briefly lay out my ideas to Lyric, and I don't mind if anyone overhears it. Most people would think tt is insane until they see it, anyway, which is fair enough. They do not know what I know, they don't have the same vision. "Real quick, Lyric. I don't want you to have come over here with nothing to show for, especially after I asked you to come, so I'll give you the main idea of what I was thinking." I lean back a little, crossing my arms, trying to see the shape of things to come, of what I am envisioning in my head. "You're trying to build a ship that moves under the sea, right? That's good, of course, it can be used for stealth and to avoid storms, but what I was thinking is what would really be intriguing is what's on the bottom of the sea." I try to see into her eyes, to see what I am getting at. "Old World wrecks nobody was able to get at - until now. And who knows what else."

"So, the short of it is that there's a fungal infection going around - like, small mushrooms in people's lungs - that, on the one hand, is slowly killing people but on the other hand, makes them able to hold their breath underwater for..." I wave my hand around. "...more than 10 minutes. The fungus sucks up the air. Something like that. And I was thinking: I want the good, without the bad. And that that would go really well with what you are planning." For the moment, I have forgotten all about the more immediate matter of what I was planning with Twilight, my eyes firmly fixed on the horizon - on what can be accomplished not today, not tomorrow, but the day after that. "What I need is some kind of contained tank, something, where I can grow and experiment with the fungus. See what makes it tick. And, that's where you come in." I raise my eyebrows. "If you're interested."

nil. fucked around with this message at Nov 24, 2016 around 20:39

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Cool+1 Hard-1 Hot+2 Sharp+1 Weird=0
Harm 0:00 xp 2/5 Barter 3

Lyric leaves for Abel's chop shop on her own. She doesn't request an escort and Abel's nagging will befoul my good mood so I return to the Hide.

There always seems to be just a few patrons at any time. If I didn't know better I would think it was the same crowd and they just lived here. There certainly are regulars. People who appreciate being able to nurse their drink with some peace and quite. There isn't any "good nights" but there isn't any bad either. No broken furniture or bum tabs. Well much less so when people realized what comes of that. I respect setting up a stable model like that. And it's because of that I decide to give him the heads up, I think he'd appreciate it.

I lean in over the bar and whisper to Leatherhead, "Cap is out of commission. Might be trouble down the line. Wanted to make sure you had the chance to batten down the hatches." I flash him a smile and nod. Mum's the word.

Then I saunter over to Salt's table. I don't want her to get any ideas. I love her but any bright ideas she's going to get from this news is going to drag all of us into it so let's not have her hitting the ground running. I pull out a chair and lounge in it. "Hey girl. Seeing as much excitement as I am?" I glance at my bare arm. "Or were you planning some?" I was going to hit up Salt for some work ideas... on queue. She knows my spending habits better than I do some times. But with Lyric's generous gift I can at least be picky with what mark with deep pockets she suggests.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006




Hard =0 | Cool -2 | Hot +1 | Sharp +1 | Weird +2
Harm 6:00 | Experience: 3/5 | 3-barter

"Hello, Twilight." My tone is flat greeting her. There are no smiles when she is around, only worry. "Yes. You could say that." Not as much "excitement" you have had today, judging by the roar of your weapons. It is a sound that can only be made when many have been slaughtered. A great hunt took place, and they are still beating the war drums.

My attention refocuses back to the doctor as he inspects my wound. "Ah, no, the bandages, they are..." I absentmindedly touch sleeve, and my face starts to blush a little, "They are perfect as is. I do not think I need the medicine, either. As long as it is not lethal, I do not mind letting it heal on it's own. Thank you for your offer!"

My eyes light up as the doctor talks about my project. "Ah! Doctor! I knew I liked you! You and I," I poke him on his forehead, "We share the same ideas! The ship I am building, the Orca, it is not a ship meant for stealth or combat, no, no, no! It is meant to explore what is beyond!" I spread my arms out, far and wide, "There is so much we do not know yet! What lies underneath the sea? What vestiges of the Old World still remain? What if we can finally cross The Curtain, and see, with our own eyes, the very thing that has eluded many for so long? The possibilities are endless! I hear a call, doctor, and I intend to answer it!"

I listen intently to the doctor, and nod my head to let him know I am paying close attention to what he is proposing. "Hm," I put a finger on my cheek, and sway back and forth, momentarily lost in thought, "So this... fungus, you think you can take it's essense, and purge the bad from it, and all you need is a place where you can experiment without risk of it spreading? Hm." I close my eyes, and tap my forehead, thinking carefully about how this could be done, "We will need to draw up plans, and gather materials. I must also consult those of The Machine to see what is the most suitable material we can use. We will also need to make specialized equipment, and suits which will protect us from the spores. So, to answer your question, doctor," I give him a big, wide smile, "I am very interested in your plan!"

nil.
Nov 11, 2012



Cool +1 | Hard +0 | Hot +1 | Sharp +2 | Weird -1
Harm: 0:00 | XP: 3/5 | Angel Kit: 6/6 | Barter: 1

I nod along as lyric talks about her project, and I feel something like the pull the speeches, the rituals of my raider warband had on me. That feeling that you are part of something greater, and that by your strength and skill, you can add to it, make it and yourself greater still. Only this time they are not dreams of blood and triumph. It is dangerous to think that way, I know. But better to have some dreams rather than none at all, even though they might be a little mad. And what is madness in this world? There's more than enough in it already that's without purpose and sense - and I'm fixing to change that, in time.

I'm getting off track. It's just that I get the feeling that Lyric would understand. In her way, yeah, but she'd know that it's to push what we can do in this world, to change it. And this is what I need to do, gain the ear of people that are of like mind, like Lyric, or whose skills are undeniable, like Twilight. Although now that I am no longer paying attention to Lyric's wound, I am noticing the tension between the two. Something to watch.

But back to Lyric. I let her poking my forehead slide, and simply think of it as one of her ticks. Everyone has them. "Yes. I feel the same way. There is much to learn, to gain, to find. And better to try it in a new way, if we can. There's more than enough people trying things the old way, and that's fine for keeping on, but... in the long run, just keeping on isn't going to be enough, is it?" While it is true that the thought of knowledge from the Old World intrigues me, like I'm sure it does Lyric, I also know that I'll always have to keep an eye on how it benefits. Me. Thames. The human race. because knowledge alone will just leave me a bearded, starving man, and I would take my precious knowledge to my grave, most likely in the sea and the bellies of sharks.

I clear my head. lyric speaks of plans, and that's what I should focus on, not musings about what might or might not happen. "Yeah, that'd be real helpful. Would really appreciate it. I'll need to figure out how to cure the infection anyway, so if there's no other way, we might have to infect ourselves temporarily to get our underwater lungs. And once we're back on land, I'd fix us up." I shrug. "Just theorizing. It's too early to tell. In any case..." Finally, I break out into a grin and hold out my hand. Today has improved - of course, most of that improvement is on the horizon and the troubles remain here in the present, but still. "Let's shake on it. I'm looking forward to it." I cock my head, thinking further and further ahead. "Let me know about the materials. Not my area of expertise, but I may be making a trip outside Thames in the near future." Yellow's affliction. Finding Professor Morgan in the Jumble. "We can discuss the details of that project later."

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.



Cool +1 | Hard -2 | Hot-1 | Sharp +2 | Weird +2
Harm: 3:00 | XP: 0/5 | Barter: 6

"Hello Abel. Just got hit with a door. It should be fine on its own." Done responding to Abel, I turn to Twilight.

"So what exactly did you do Twilight? I thought we were trying to make sure things weren't going to get destabilized too soon." I watch her face - reading it, making sure she's not about to do anything drastic out of the blue.

[16:25] <Heliotrope> Read Twilight
[16:25] <Heliotrope> !r 2d6+2
[16:25] <Krysmbot> Heliotrope, 8+2 = 10
Holding 3 during this conversation
Marking XP for rolling Sharp and taking the Quarantine's Disciplined Engagement
Bold is Twilight


I look at the psychic, "Mm, the Drowned Men found me. Things got... heated, and I needed to protect myself. I had no idea they would be so weak."

"So you killed them. What do you plan to do now then? This is just going to add to the troubles we were going to deal with."

"Yeah. I did. I gave them the choice to get out of my way or die and they chose death. I let Sparks slide as a warning when he jumped me, but that was clearly a waste. So now? Abel and I are going to inspect their stash, I'm going to finish what I started, and Thames will be down a gang."
I shrug, "It's not like they were going to be able to make a play regardless. Not with those weapons, those numbers."


"So what was the point of putting myself in danger and getting Sparks to come with me if you were just going to shoot up the place?"
Spending a Hold to ask "What's your character really feeling?"

Twilight is honestly a little frustrated by this conversation because, as she sees it, she really did try her best to avoid escalating the situation (despite not being very good with that :v) and everyone seems quite ready to assume she just acted without provocation. There's also a hint of bloodlust lingering, which Iris would likely recognize as being influence from the Maelstrom.
"Well, I wasn't planning on it. We were neck-deep in their territory. Do you think that we were going to get Sparks out without a fight? Those Drowned Men, for all their faults, were tight-knit."


"I found Sparks and got him out without getting into a fight with the rest of them. Pretty sure they weren't hanging around his house."

"I imagine by that time we were in a running gun-battle in the streets."

Spending another Hold to ask "What does your character wish I'd do?"

Twilight would appreciate it if Iris would drop the accusatory tone and give her the benefit of the doubt. She's not particularly interested in continuing the conversation if it continues down this road.

"Fine. If that's what you say. Are you still going to look into who might have killed Captain Diego or are you going to be busy looting what the Drowned Men had?

"I don't imagine this will take long, but I did promise Abel I'd help him fortify the clinic afterward. You might ask Abel what he thinks happened. He had a chance to examine the body before First Mate showed up."

Spending my last Hold to ask "How could I get your character to focus on finding Diego's killer?"

Convince Abel that is going to be the best course of action and get him to ask Twilight to do it. She does want to investigate more, but Abel has already successfully guilt-tripped her into focusing on his prior request. You could also use your brain-strings, but she would kill you afterwards.

"I suppose that's what I'll do then." I turn away from Twilight and head to talk to Abel

I look on in silence, sparing a brief glare for Sparks.

Heliotrope fucked around with this message at Nov 25, 2016 around 02:27

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006




Hard =0 | Cool -2 | Hot +1 | Sharp +1 | Weird +2
Harm 6:00 | Experience: 3/5 | 3-barter

I frown when the doctor talks about infecting himself, "No, no." I wave a hand, dismissing the idea, "Infecting the self should be a last resort. You do not let the rust take you over, and then hope to cure it later. What if things go wrong, and you are unable to cure it in time? No," I shake my head, "The risk is too great. We must exhaust all possible solutions first before that is considered. Remember; Nothing is impossible. Every song must have a verse, and it is only a matter of finding the right one that fits. All you must do, is open your ears, and listen."

"But I ramble. You do what you must. But yes, aside from that," my smile returns to my face, as I extend my hand to shake his, "I, too, am looking forward to working with you on this, doctor."

nil.
Nov 11, 2012



Cool +1 | Hard +0 | Hot +1 | Sharp +2 | Weird -1
Harm: 0:00 | XP: 3/5 | Angel Kit: 6/6 | Barter: 1

"Oh, I wasn't planning on doing the test runs on..." I stop myself. People throw themselves into mortal danger each day, throw others into it, drink, inject stuff that rots their insides, all for little purpose. But the same people get nervous when I start talking about talking about my cures being untested, that I cannot guarantee there'll be no side effects. So usually I do not mention the 'test runs', even though they are necessary. Though I suspect Lyric might understand. Both the necessity and that I wasn't thinking of infecting myself, not until it's proven or I'm desperate. I'm no fool. I lightly shake my head. "There will be test runs. But sometimes, the only things left are last resorts. So, better to prepare for times like that, while you can, as you said." I smile, give her hand a last shake and then release it. Even though what she is saying isn't how I would put it, it's still good to hear it. It's similar to my thoughts, about what we should accomplish, try to accomplish. Or, I suppose, it's what would be left of my thoughts if I could cut away the worries for the next day, how I will feed myself and those under my charge, be able to move in relative peace, where my gun is, and who I might have to use it on tomorrow. But getting to ignore those worries, it's not going to happen anytime soon.

Still, I smile. "We may not think about things the same way, Lyric, but I figure we somehow arrived at some of the same conclusions. This world..." I look up into the sky, it's ever-pouring clouds and somewhere behind, the sun. "...it needs us to be different. To not just do things how we used to. Or even just how we think they ought to be done. We need new ways, changed ways, from somewhere beyond a frontier we haven't explored yet. Because the world's not waiting up for us." I look back down, at Lyric. Listen to me talk. Perhaps her touch of madness is infectious, or maybe it has always been inside me, in it's own way. "But now I'm the one rambling."

I make myself take stock of my mind and remind myself of everything that needs doing, the Drowned Men's stash, the meeting with First Mate, curing Yellow. They are practical things, and what I should be thinking of right now. Now that I'm no longer caught up in Lyric's enthusiams - even though I do appreciate it - I notice the tension between Twilight and Iris hasn't really abated. I only snatch up a few pieces of the conversation, but if I had to guess at the issue between them, it'd be that Iris isn't appreciative of how things went with Twilight, the Drowned Men, and Sparks. Twilight made it seem as if them splitting up wasn't cause for concern, but then again, she is the one wearing what looks like serious battle armor and a variety of deadly weapons. So figures Iris might have another perspective on things.

I'm not going to get involved, not yet, anyway. Something to keep in mind, of course. I am still looking at Lyric. "Practical things. Eyes on the horizon, but never losing sight of what's right in front." I'm doing it again. It sounds like a mantra, something to tell yourself when you're cowering behind cover, not sure if you'll die in the next minute. I shake my head, send drops of rainwater flying. "Yeah, looking forward to working with you, Lyric."

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.



Cool +1 | Hard -2 | Hot-1 | Sharp +2 | Weird +2
Harm: 3:00 | XP: 0/5 | Barter: 6

Abel's currently talking to Lyric, but I take advantage of a brief lull in the conversation to step in. "Excuse me Lyric, but I need to talk to Abel."

I turn to him. "Abel. Are you and Twilight really heading to take what you can from the Drowned Men? Because she and I had the idea of trying to find out more about Diego's killer first. And Twilight is currently being influenced by the Maelstrom, do you really want to go out with her while she's like this? We should try and keep the situation from getting worse first."

[16:21] <Heliotrope> Manipulate Abel
[16:21] <Heliotrope> !r 2d6-1
[16:21] <Krysmbot> Heliotrope, 6-1 = 5

nil.
Nov 11, 2012



Cool +1 | Hard +0 | Hot +1 | Sharp +2 | Weird -1
Harm: 0:00 | XP: 4/5 | Angel Kit: 6/6 | Barter: 1

Well, this has turned into a fine gathering. I should have waited in my infirmary a little longer, and we'd all have a roof over our head. Now, what Iris is saying is telling me a few things: She may have more of an interest in the stability of Thames than I thought, which is good, even if it puts me in an awkward position right now. Anther thing is that Twilight seems to have shared our plan with Iris right away. Something to keep in mind for the future, if absolute discretion means the difference between life and death. The problem right now is, of course, that Iris is mostly talking sense.

I actually would have preferred if this were a private conversation, but it's too late for that. "You heard right, Iris. And I suppose now so has everyone else." I cross my arms. "But I hear what you're saying. I don't want Thames to tear itself apart either. But what's done is done, the Drowned Men are dead. Someone is going to pick up the pieces, and if we do nothing, it's going to be one of the rival gangs." I look at her, and I know I'm not getting through to her. And it's because what I am saying rings false, if I was her, looking at me, I'd just see the opportunist, the profiteer.

I step closer to her, put my head next to hers - and the rain will hopefully make it easier to not make me overheard. "Listen. I'll tell you what I'm thinking. I want to take some of the Drowned Men's stash for myself, a man has to eat and keep in supplies, yeah, but that's not all I want out of this. I saw Twilight take them out, and what I saw was lethal skill, but just used at a whim. It wasn't planned or necessary. So I want to pull something good out of this mess. And I want Twilight to use her talent for something constructive, something with purpose. See the benefit of cooperating." I pull back my head, look her in the eyes. "You see where I'm getting at?"

<nil_> Manipulate Iris
<nil_> !r 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> nil_, 5+1 = 6
Marking XP.

"As for who killed Diego..." I cock my head. "Say you found out who did it. Is that going to keep Thames from squabbling, fighting over who gets to replace him?" I hold up my hand. "Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying it's irrelevant. But without a plan for what you're going to do with that information, who you're going to tell it to, I'm not sure how much good it'll do." I breathe in. All the strings in my head, all the loose ends threaten to become tangled so it'll be impossible to pull them apart again. "How about this? After I'm done with this thing, I have a meeting with someone who is going to be very interested in what happened with Diego. Might even hire me, and anyone else that might help, to find out. And since you already said you'd be willing, I say, why not get paid for the effort?"

Jingle, always jingle. I wonder whether I pushed too hard, got caught up in the opportunity presented by the Drowned Men suddenly being gone. Old instincts, greed and practicality. Shouldn't I be better than this? I put my hand on Iris' shoulder, my voice softening. "However this turns out, I do appreciate you telling me this. Good to know someone else has got an eye on people, see that they don't slaughter each other too much without purpose."

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006




Hard =0 | Cool -2 | Hot +1 | Sharp +1 | Weird +2
Harm 6:00 | Experience: 4/5 | 3-barter

"Oh, yes, Iris, was it? Go right ahead." I nod to the doctor, "We will talk more later, yes?"

While the doctor is pre-occupied with Iris, I walk by near the railings, and stare out into the endless sea in front of me. The doctor and Inque, they understand me, but I wonder, do they see the same beauty in this world as I do? If only they had the same gifts as I do, if only they could listen to the invisible songs like I can, then they would all see that there is more to this world than endless rain and misery. But what use is my gift if I do not share it with others? I take their songs, and transcribe them into my creations, so that others may also experience the wonders of The Metal. I give their songs life, and purpose. I help bring their beauty into this world.

Still, there are those who see my way as a threat, like Bolt.

Bolt. Why did you do what you did? I know you despise me, but they are innocent. Why did you mangle them? Was it to cause me pain? Did you hate me that much? And why... did you reject my hand? I offered you salvation, but you chose death. Why? Is it because of this brother of yours? I do not understand. Bolt, you did not have to die.

Maybe... I can find answers in the songs? Yes. I can always depend on their voices to guide me to the answers I seek.

I close my eyes, and clasp my hands close to my chest. I drown out the conversation between Iris and the doctor, and concentrate on the other sounds. The waves washing against the planks. The rain falling on the metal surface. The howling of the wind. Ah! There it is! I can hear it now! I hear a sound, and it is calling for me. Good, now I need to focus on the sound...

...And sing.

I hum to the hidden melody, the one that only I can hear. I slowly extend an arm out, and offer it my hand. I let it envelope me in it's warmth, as if it was an old lover. This is my gift; to see beyond the normal world, to see the hidden beauty underneath it. I give those without voices a voice, so that others may experience their beautiful songs, and they, in turn, give me guidance.

quote:

<Hugzilla> Lyric open your mind
<Hugzilla> !r 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> Hugzilla, 8+2 = 10

Asking about who Bolt's "brother" is.
Also marking xp.

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at Nov 26, 2016 around 06:00

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.



Cool +1 | Hard -2 | Hot-1 | Sharp +2 | Weird +2
Harm: 3:00 | XP: 0/5 | Barter: 6

"I don't know if you can harness Twilight, but good luck trying. I might focus my efforts with Lyric and some of her technology - the Maelstrom might help us out. We can meet up and see what we have come across before meeting this person of yours." I look over at Lyric, who is currently singing to the Maelstrom. "Does that work for you?"

nil.
Nov 11, 2012



Cool +1 | Hard +0 | Hot +1 | Sharp +2 | Weird -1
Harm: 0:00 | XP: 4/5 | Angel Kit: 6/6 | Barter: 1

I furrow my brow. "'Harness' might be going too far. But, she is going to be around, and based on what I've seen today, she's not going to do it quietly. So, that's a fact, and I don't aim to ignore it." I shrug. "Besides, I think Twilight deserves a chance." I don't mention that I'm at least in part basing that on her actually agreeing to helping protect my clinic without any real hope for payment. It might damage Twilight's rep, and I know how important that can be. A good rep can be more useful than a loaded gun, and both are even better - only you may not even have to draw.

I look over at Lyric once Iris mentions her. She seems to be in one of her trances, conversing with the 'Maelstrom'. Mostly until now I've usually thought of it being somewhat bloody-minded, if it's even really a thing, but maybe I'll have to reconsider that if it helps Lyric find inspiration for something useful, something mechanical. Besides, Iris is among the ones in Thames most deeply into the Maelstrom, and right now her showing that kind of concern about our hardhold, its stability may mean I'll have to think about it differently. Or just take the people as they are, how they can handle it - like the difference between the drunk ship's captain that nevertheless knows every mood of the sea and some pathetic drunk wreck rolling around in a gutter.

I nod. "Yeah. Works for me. Thanks Iris." I get a moment to consider the situation, just now thinking about something else I couldn't properly think about earlier. "What is up with Sparks? He's kind of got the face of a man who's got a knife to his ribs." I consider Iris. "Do I want to know?" It's a rhetorical question, I'm pretty sure I already know what's going on here. Not that different from Iris holding an actual knife to his ribs, I suppose, but I can't help but think of Noah. Just hope he listens to what I told him, just because he can't see Iris' blades don't mean they're not there. Still, eyes forward and make the best of this.

"Suppose you ask him about the Drowned Men's stash? Who's on guard, how many, what kind of weapons, how they could be made to leave without making a fuss?" I get the feeling he doesn't have much choice right now. A small, cold shiver runs down my spine as I imagine myself in the same situation - I let it pass by closing my eyes, only thinking about going for my gun and not actually doing it.

megane
Jun 20, 2008



Twilight, Abel and Iris are deep in conversation as you cross back into the Drowned Men's turf. Sparks trudges unevenly behind you; he keeps starin' at you, but it's like he's got somethin' stuck in his throat and he can't say a thing. But as you turn into the block where the fight went down, he freezes. You follow his gaze and oh, gently caress. Some sick gently caress has haphazardly lashed a dead Drowned Man to the wall here; he hangs limp, blood still seeping from half a dozen stab wounds. Was he even dead before they put him up there? There's no gunshots in him -- maybe this is the one that ran away? Whoever did this left a message: a symbol, spray painted brazenly across the dead man's ruined chest.

Abel, whose symbol is that? And why is does that terrify you?

Iris, Sparks convulses hideously -- you can feel him fighting your control. He lets out a, jesus, it's not a scream really, just this inhuman wail, like his throat is being ripped out! Despair! Agony! He hurls himself at the dead ganger. He's going to do something drastic unless you stop him, right now!


Inque, Leatherhead scoffs, but once you turn to talk to Salt, you notice him calling his bouncer over for a little bit of a conference, you know? He scratches at the creepy patch of skin on his head and gives a little nod towards the back door. Meanwhile, Salt throws her arms wide as you sit down. What's she wearing today? "Heyyyy, there she is! Our resident painted fox, my babe, who's been keeping you busy, hmm?" She puts her bare feet up on the table. Must be in a good mood. "You're buyin', right?" She laughs brightly. "Like either of us've got the kinda shiny it'd take to pay my tab, huh?" She takes an absurdly dainty little sip of apple liquor, then leans in. "If it's a gig you're after, you are one lucky girl, 'cause I just so happen to have one alllll lined up nice an' ready. You 'n' me, yeah? All we -- well, you mostly, babe -- all we gotta do is put on a little, uh... show, yanno?" She's got an angle here, she always does. But hopefully you're not the mark today.

Lyric, the sounds of the sea and the storm, the water that is the world, they wash over you, softer, softer, until they fade away, leaving behind only the whispery, hungering crackle of flame. Its heat pushes against your skin. Bolt kneels, naked, before the bonfire, the rain steaming off his skin in coiling clouds. The priest steps forth into the flickering light. "Do you feel the warm embrace... of the desert, brother Bolt?" he sings, lilting, in time with your own humming. Bolt shivers with bliss, and the priest leans down to mark his forehead with reddish dust. "I can feel it, oh it burns me, I shall never more be cold..." Bolt sings along, in reply. The priest nods: "Now... you know what we must do. You must hide it, keep it safe; from the liars and the wretches, for soon come the burning days!" Does this all remind you of your family, your childhood? Do you ever wish you could feel so truly beloved as Bolt does, right now?

Lady Monsoon, strolling through the town with a spring in your step, you soon come across a minor commotion; looks like First Mate's boat is about to dock. Nobody's terribly excited about it, since it's not like anything important's happened today, right, but you can tell the sailors on board are... a little jumpy. Presumably First Mate finished doin' whatever the gently caress it was with ol' Diego's corpse and is comin' back to put the house in order. Lizzie is visible on the bow of the boat, chewing lazily on somethin somethin, and she gives you that, like, upwards nod thing, like: I see you, fellow killer. What do you do?

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Cool -1 | Hard +3 | Hot -2 | Sharp +1 | Weird +2
Harm 0:00 | Experience: 4/5 | 1-barter

I can feel Sparks's eyes on me as we all walk. Burning a hole in my neck. Hate? Despair? Regret? Could be any number of things. He's was a bit of a basket case before all this, what with running with the Drowned Men and all, but whatever Iris did to him hosed him right up. Impressive. I'd have to watch for her trying any of that crap on me.

Iris talked a big game earlier about bringing order and solving mysteries, but I could see through that. She wasn't so different from these gangs. A predator. Someone aiming to enforce their will on the world. But you know? All the psychic power in the world can't save you from a big rear end gun. Especially not through a scope. If she wants to be top dog, fine by me. I'm here to hunt. To find information on the Behemoth. It doesn't really matter who throws the jingle around at the end of the day. It all serves the same purpose.

Now Abel? That's a different story. He's... complicated. Jumping down my throat for protecting myself one moment, jumping on the opportunity it presented the next. He seems to fancy himself some sort of visionary. Enlightened. Nah. He's like me. More than he wants to admit, anyways. Might have lost a step or two, but I'd trust him on the hunt. As much as you can trust anyone these days. Wonder where he learned it all. Haven't heard much of his past, but you don't get scars like that by living the quiet life.

Then we see the Drowned Man. Dead. Mutilated. Some sort of symbol -- a warning? No, not just a warning. More likely a claim to the turf. Sparks's wail and subsequent rush at the body set my adrenaline pumping. Not safe. Could be trapped. Not like I liked the guy -- far from it -- but I wasn't about to risk him tripping something that would catch us in the crossfire. My arms shot out, lifting his body into the air, and then I slammed him back behind me in a vicious suplex. It ended up being a bit more violent than I had really anticipated it being, but it must have looked pretty drat impressive. Eh. He's a big boy, he can handle a few scrapes and bruises. I rose back up to my feet and put a boot on the man's chest. Not enough to break anything, but more than enough to keep him down.

I looked over at Iris, "So, uh, what do you want to do about him?"

quote:

[21:21:41] <Tricky> Twilight is going to suplex Sparks to keep him from being dumb
[21:21:43] <Tricky> !r 2d6+3
[21:21:46] <Krysmbot> Tricky, 6+3 =
9

Seizing Sparks by force with my hands (net 1-harm, 3-armor due to size difference). I take definite and undeniable control of him and impress/dismay/frighten my enemy. +XP.

Tricky fucked around with this message at Dec 2, 2016 around 06:46

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.



Cool +1 | Hard -2 | Hot-1 | Sharp +2 | Weird +2
Harm: 3:00 | XP: 0+1/5 | Barter: 6

Before I can answer Abel, we come across the dead tied up Drowned Man. Well poo poo. Unsure of how to react to this, I can only watch as Twilight proceeds to deal with Sparks by slamming him into the ground and then for some reason asks me what to do.

"You could leave it up to me instead of resorting to violence every time. You know, since I already deal with him earlier. But I guess that would require you to think ahead." I don't know how we're going to be able to deal with what's going on if she keeps barging in and trying to hurt everyone. She's reminding me way too much of Burroughs right now - just hurt whoever she wanted to.

Meanwhile, I'm keeping an eye out for what's going on - I have a feeling

[02:01] <Heliotrope> Read A Sitch
[02:01] <Heliotrope> !r 2d6+2
[02:01] <Krysmbot> Heliotrope, 3+2 = 5
Asking "What should I be on the lookout for?"
Marking XP

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Cool -1 | Hard +3 | Hot -2 | Sharp +1 | Weird +2
Harm 0:00 | Experience: 4/5 | 1-barter

I shrugged, unimpressed by the psychic's attitude, "I don't know. You brought him. I figured you'd be keeping him from doing anything stupid, but apparently not. Ever think that they might have trapped the body? Tripwires hidden in the muck? A split second can decide everything. There's no time for hesitation on the hunt. Maybe if you can prove I can leave it up to you, Iris, then I will. I'm not about to risk my neck on your say-so." I turned back towards the rest of the group, keeping a foot firmly on Sparks. "So, Abel, what do you make of that symbol? One of the other players in town making a move?"

nil.
Nov 11, 2012



Cool +1 | Hard +0 | Hot +1 | Sharp +3 | Weird -1
Harm: 0:00 | XP: 0/5 | Angel Kit: 6/6 | Barter: 1

Iris decides to join Twilight and I on what I shouldn't think of as a 'raid' into the former Drowned Men's territory. Best to finish any talk now, we need to keep an eye out. The Drowned Men are as good as dead already, but a dying man can still do some damage in his last moments. I should know. I try to listen to any sounds that don't fit the usual alleys of Thames, the patter of a couple of psyched up idiots closing in on use, brandishing weapons, the lack of sound surrounding an ambush, as the normal people around that beat feet and keep far away from what's coming. Like animals out there outside Thames, in the big nothing.

I can feel a slight tingling at the back of my neck, but I can neither hear nor see anything. Before I can figure out whether it's just the tension or something else, my eyes are drawn to what must have triggered this. One of the Drowned Men. Strung up. No... gunshot wounds. Stab wounds, too inefficient for what I saw of Twilight's fight. And then I notice what already send my instinct skittering at the back of my head, even before my eyes really saw it. That symbol, spray painted into the dead man's chest. A crude image of an face, more like a mask,, and where the mouth should be - spray painted in bright red, with far more detail than everything else, what is clearly supposed to be a blood smear.

No. It... it can't be. He's dead. He should be dead. We shot him, stabbed him, more times than any of the other Legionnaires, anyone, would be able to take. And that fall into the canyon... More damage than even I could heal today, let alone back then.

But it is an insane world we live in. I can't deny facts. Can't tell myself it's probably just an imitator. I have to keep my edge. Especially since he might be here for me, to finish what he started. Meat. That's what we called him, back in the Legionnaires. He never talked much, from behind that mask of his. Already back then I thought he did more harm than good, just a violent, giant psychopath that couldn't take orders. But the warboss disagreed, and I followed their orders. Until the day that Meat got seriously hurt - I don't even remember who we were tangling with at the time - and it came to me to fix him up. Only this time the injuries were so serious I had to take his mask off. It wasn't curiosity, I didn't care that nobody had ever seen him without it - but it was necessity. What was under the mask was disappointing, in a way. I don't know what I expected, but his face was simply... messed up, scarred. Nothing I hadn't seen before.

But then, under my knife, Meat woke up and went berserk. Turned on all of us, tried to kill all of the Legionnaires. But especially me, the only one who had seen him unmasked. Screaming about his face, his 'true face', how we robbed him of it. And that's when we had to put him down, or, well, otherwise he would have had put all of us down. He couldn't stand up to the entire gang, though he gave us a run for our jingle. Fought like hell, but in the end, shot and stabbed I don't know how many times, fell into that canyon, and I thought that was that. But now, here, I see that symbol of himself and his mask he used to paint, though back then, it was often in actual blood. drat. I feel a fear crawling along my spine, not the healthy one, that keeps you safe once the bullet start flying, but a different one.

I pull myself together. My hand is already resting on my gun's holster. Steady, not shaking, I notice with some satisfaction. Eyes ahead, not towards the past, not towards the future. This might be an ambush. Someone may have us in their sights right now, and it doesn't matter who it is. I can see Twilight restraining Sparks - though I wonder why he reacted as he did. Does he know the Drowned Man? Or does he recognize the symbol? No matter right now. What matters right now are the next few seconds. I see Iris scanning the rooftops, the building the Drowned Men is lashed to, and just by instinct, I fall in behind her, one hand on her shoulder, another pointing to any dangerous angle I can see. Sure, when I learned that, the other one usually had a rifle, but the thing is the same.

<nilPhone> Abel Help Iris
<nil_> !r 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> nil_, 6+2 = 8
+1 for Iris (insufficient).
Marking XP from Sharp.
Taking "Increase Sharp +1 (Max +3)" as advancement.

The seconds pass and nothing has happened yet. Twilight has restrained Sparks, and he still seems to be breathing, which wasn't a given with how much force she used. Iris and Twilight don't know what I know, feel at ease enough that the conflict between them I sensed earlier flares up again. We don't have time for this. Twilight asks me about the symbol, and for a moment I am not sure what to tell them. It takes a moment to gather myself again.

"No. Not a known player." A pause. "Someone I might know though. If it's who I think it is, they're... violent. Unhinged. One of the monsters from out in the Nothing. On the one hand, they... he was called 'Meat'... is dangerous. A true killer, not just some idiot that knows how to hold a gun. On the other hand, a bullet through his brain would be a net gain for everyone, so in that way, it's far more simple than even dealing with the Drowned Men." I am talking, perhaps too much. I am already slightly crouched down, watching the rooftops, waiting for movement. "We need to be careful. Need to work together. Hash out your differences later."

nil. fucked around with this message at Dec 2, 2016 around 18:06

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006




Hard =0 | Cool -2 | Hot +1 | Sharp +1 | Weird +2
Harm 6:00 | Experience: 4/5 | 3-barter

Hm? What's this? Tears? Am I... crying? What is this feeling? This warmth- it is like the warmth I feel when I am around my Inque, but... different. Was it the feeling of the fire? No, no fire ever felt this warm. Is it... belonging? Is this what it feels... to have a family? Is this the feeling I've been missing for so long?

I never had a family, or anything resembling one, growing up. I was an orphan nobody wanted. The strange child who talked to metal. They mock me, laugh at me, call me names. No living person ever truly cared for me, except for Inque. If it wasn't for my gifts, I would have been left for dead a long time ago. Even when I was young, I was able to make things for people, and that was enough to keep me living. I always felt envious of those who have families, or those who have a special bond with each other, like Bolt and the holy man.

Bolt... he is an evil man, but the bond between him and the holy man- it is almost pure. The holy man gave him a place where he can belong, with people who understand him, and do not judge him for who he is. Is that what I long for? For someone to just... understand me? To feel like I belong? No, that's silly. I have The Metal. They are always there for me. They have always guided my hand to the right path, and they sing to me, and only me. I am their special one. I do not need others to understand me. I have them, and that's all I will ever need.

...So why does my heart feel so empty?

The commotion around me snaps me out of my thoughts. I turn to the source of the noises, and I see Twilight, planting her foot on some boy's chest, and a hanged, bloody body behind them. I hear her talk, and shake my head. "A trap? Tripwires? Have you listened to yourself talk? You speak of a hunt, but all I see is you hurting someone weaker than you are. Is that part of your "hunt?" Or is it an excuse to satisfy your thirst for blood?" I say, coldly.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Cool -1 | Hard +3 | Hot -2 | Sharp +1 | Weird +2
Harm 0:00 | Experience: 4/5 | 1-barter

I stared at the mechanic, my eyes ice-cold and my expression blank, "Do you want to know how I met Sparks, Lyric? Do you want to know what his brothers and sisters in the Drowned Men do to the people they take?" I shook my head. She clearly didn't have the stomach for it. "He wouldn't cry a single tear if it were any one of us hanging on the wall. If I wanted to seriously hurt him, I would have. If I wanted to kill him, I would have. This is mercy."

She was naive. They were all too naive. I'd seen more death and bloodshed than any three of them combined -- Abel and the Lady excluded, of course -- and they simply weren't aware of the true face of the world. A world where even nature will set traps with the dead as bait. A world where the animals were just as vicious as men, but more honest about it. I'd seen enough death. At my hands or at others. I knew the signs. Knew the feeling when it was around. That corpse was bad news. Fine. I'd tried to do things clean. Maybe they just needed to see. To understand what we were dealing with.

I pulled Sparks to his feet and gave him a slight shove towards the corpse, looking back at Lyric, "I guess we'll see, huh? Maybe I am paranoid. Maybe I do just enjoy the blood. Or maybe, just maybe, I've seen enough poo poo to know what I'm talking about." I turned to the man, my face blank, "What'll it be, Sparks? You can stay here or you can take your chances with that." I hooked a thumb at the corpse to punctuate the last word and then shrugged. "I think it's probably a death trap, but the choice is yours."

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.



Cool +3 | Hard -1 | Hot +2 | Sharp =0 | Weird -1
Harm 0:00 | Exp 1/5 | Barter 2

My, that took them awhile to clean up. It doesn't look like news of the sinkhole in power here has spread yet. First Mate might manage to keep it under her control if she moves well enough. I angle towards them, returning Lizzie's head tilt with one of my own, and move my hands up to my belt, undoing the clasp with an easy motion and swinging it - with my holster and knife attacked - up over my shoulder to dangle down my back. I could still get either weapon out nearly as fast, but it sends the message I want to send to them, not here for a fight - not with them. That done, I sit myself down on top of a piling to wait for the boat to dock.

Once they're close enough to me, I hop casually off the piling and onto the boat, moving up next to First Mate. "So, who'll it be then? The new -captain- you?" I sweep my (formerly Diego's) hat off my head, place it on top of hers for a moment, then pluck it off to replace back on mine own. "Someone else? Do you expect trouble from someone you want... dealt with? Or you want a figure head for a week or so, who'll frighten off competition while you consolidate your position?" My eyes sparkle, lips curling up in an amused smile, "my services are at your disposal, if you like." Running a place like this... not a chance, but living cushy on top for a few days, maybe blowing up a few people trying to take the spot while First Mate runs things sounds even better than just taking out some rivals.

Should I roll to manipulate here? More or less offering she hires me for a gig, taking out a rival or being a figurehead

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006




Hard =0 | Cool -2 | Hot +1 | Sharp +1 | Weird +2
Harm 6:00 | Experience: 4/5 | 3-barter

"Are you perhaps referring to how they nail your wrists to a wall, and leave you with your entrails dangling out? Or perhaps you mean how they cut off your body parts, one by one, and force-feed it to you until there's nothing left?" I slowly approach Twilight, "Or do you mean how they slowly bleed you dry, for weeks and months, in a cold, dark room, with only the barest minimum needed to survive? Or how about how they force you to drown a loved one, if you do not want to be drowned yourself?" I approach closer, "Smash your limbs. Leave you crippled. Leave you broken. Perhaps you would like to know what they do to the ones they hate the most? Not many people do." I stand close in front of twilight, and tilt my head up to look at her with a steely gaze, "Do not presume that I am blind. I know well of what goes on around here, and I know well of you. The Drowned Men are dangerous, but that boy over there?" I point to Spark, "He is a scared little boy. Helpless. Alone. What benefit would come from ending his life? Is this part of your "hunt?" Or perhaps," I narrow my eyes at Twlight, "You just wish to have an excuse to hurt people."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Cool -1 | Hard +3 | Hot -2 | Sharp +1 | Weird +2
Harm 0:00 | Experience: 4/5 | 1-barter

Hmph. Unexpected. It seems that Lyric had eyes, at the least. It didn't make the situation any more comprehensible -- she kept speaking as if Sparks were not one of them. He was young, yes, but he had already been initiated. Had already killed. Had already tried to kill me. Was only scared and alone because his gang had made the same mistake. Was there a point to telling her as much? I was no longer sure. Was not sure what was willful ignorance and what stemmed from a deeper objective. I met the mechanic's eyes, searching for some hint as to what was really going on.

I sigh audibly, "There is no benefit to killing him. Perhaps you have noticed that he still draws breath...?" This one was infuriating. I had not done anything wrong. Perhaps the situation would be different if I had chosen to remove a leg to halt his movements. Yet, I had not.

quote:

[00:32:11] <Tricky> Twilight reads Lyric
[00:32:14] <Tricky> !r 2d6+1
[00:32:16] <Krysmbot> Tricky, 8+1 =
9

What does your character wish I'd do?

nil.
Nov 11, 2012



Cool +1 | Hard +0 | Hot +1 | Sharp +3 | Weird -1
Harm: 0:00 | XP: 1/5 | Angel Kit: 6/6 | Barter: 1

It is like they barely heard me, or perhaps it just the fact that I am the only one who really knows what it means. The significance, the danger. For them, it's just noise. They are relaxed and not afraid enough that they don't get that instinct to hold together, despite their differences, in the face of external danger. Lyric gets in on laying into Twilight and through my exasperation I'm not even sure where I stand on their squabble. Right now I am mainly annoyed they think this is the right time to have it out like that. We're here for a purpose. On objective. Not to tear ourselves apart like some hotheaded gang initiates out to prove themselves.

I sigh. Lyric has closed in on Twilight, and my muscles tense. But after a moment, I relax again, just a little - I don't think either of them are intending violence right now, not on each other. Not yet, anyway. But one wrong word could change that, and even if it doesn't result in blows, it'd distract everyone enough so we wouldn't see that glint of a scope in a distance, the scrape of the machete. Hell, it's distracting me right now.

"Lyric. Twilight. This is not the time. We're under threat and need to have our eyes turned outside, not on each other." No drat discipline. "Pull it together." But I know just that isn't enough. Just telling others they need to stop squabbling, stop cowering behind cover won't do it, because when you're in a situation like this, you don't just need to overcome your fear, your anger, your resentments, you need something to replace it with. You need something to do, something concrete you can keep your eyes on. Fix that roof. Take that hill. "We need to deal with this situation and then move on and accomplish what we actually came here for. If that body is trapped, we need to disarm it." Because we're the ones least likely to blow ourselves up doing it, and if we don't do it, some idiot is going to get themselves hurt. And besides, despite this being former Drowned Men turf, there's still children here. Always so curious, not knowing better.

"Iris. Situation has changed. Figure Sparks is feeling kind of ambiguous about helping us out, which makes him a liability." I quickly look at Twilight, look into her eyes, subtly telling her that I don't mean the kind of 'liability' that needs to be solved by a gun. Hope Sparks didn't actually see that, because that threat being in his mind will make what comes next easier. I turn to our luckless former Drowned Man. "Now, two things, Sparks." This is good. I feel better again, more in control - that shiver under my armor when I thought of Meat, what he might do if he's truly back, is gone. For now. "One, if you're a smart guy, you know it's in your best interest to tell us everything we want to know, because the sooner you do that, the sooner we'd be inclined to actually let you go." I let a moment pass, so the idea can take a hold in his head. "And second, I figure this whole mess..." I raise a finger, twirl it around. "...is a good demonstration that you shouldn't mess with any of the people you are seeing right now." I glance towards twilight still standing over him, armed with more powerful weaponry than the Drowned Men ever had to their name. I shake my head at Sparks. What was he even thinking?

"Think about it." I wave him off and put him out of my mind. All this talking, everyone focused on each other, it's dangerous. Because the true danger we're getting distracted from is out there. As it should be. But who knows if anyone is really paying attention to that, so I suppose it falls to me. Ironic really, me saying that, seeing as how I just now made a speech where I wanted everyone to listen to me, and not what might be lurking. No matter. I crouch down, one hand on the ground, the rain washing over me. I take in the dead body, our surroundings. I how much danger are we, really?

<nil_> Abel Read A Sitch
<nil_> !r 2d6+3
<Krysmbot> nil_, 3+3 = 6
Asking: What’s my enemy’s true position?
Marking XP.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006




Hard =0 | Cool -2 | Hot +1 | Sharp +1 | Weird +2
Harm 6:00 | Experience: 4/5 | 3-barter

I stare at Twilight, with hard eyes, and I hear it again. I hear the war drums. Her weapons desire blood, and she is willing to give it to them. She is dangerous. The most dangerous person on the Thames. The Lady is dangerous as well, but at least the Lady is honest about who she is. Twilight hides herself behind a wall of denial, rationalizing her own blood lust with excuses. How much of it is "the hunt" that you speak of, and how much is it your desire to kill? To hurt? Will there ever be an end, or will you leave a wake of bodies in your path until you meet your own, sad, tragic death?

quote:

What does your character wish I'd do?

Stop hiding behind false pretenses; admit that you enjoy the killing. Admit that it might be the only thing that makes you feel alive. Stop making excuses, and be honest about who, and what you are. There might be a deeper reason for why Lyric has chosen now, of all times, to confront Twilight about this, but it's not clear what it is.

The doctor speaks, and I do not listen. I continue to stare Twilight down, ever unflinching, never taking my eyes away from hers for a moment. She is stronger than I am, and can easily overpower me at any moment. She can kill me, or cripple me, and I would not be able to do anything about it, but I am not afraid. If she hurts me, she would only be proving my point about her. So tell me, Noisemaker, what will you do now? How will you handle someone who does not fear you?

quote:

<Hugzilla> Lyric Read a Sitch
<Hugzilla> !r 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> Hugzilla, 5+1 = 6
Asking: Who’s in control here?

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at Dec 3, 2016 around 11:20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Cool -1 | Hard +3 | Hot -2 | Sharp +1 | Weird +2
Harm 0:00 | Experience: 4/5 | 1-barter

Our eyes remain locked. The tension is rising, almost palpable in the air. I grab a fistful of the mechanic's clothing, dragging her closer to me. My knuckles are white as they grasp on to it. My mind races. Do I enjoy all the killing? Is that why I'm on the hunt? No. It isn't. The people of Pacifica, my family and friends, deserve to rest in peace. Deserve their vengeance. I need to be strong. Need to be the strongest. If I'm not, then what will stop the world from taking all that I have again? But have I become what I hunt? That which takes because it can? Because it must?

I open my mouth to say something, anything to Lyric. Instead, I scowl and let go of her apron. Thoughts of violence flit through my head, but I bury them back down. Not now. Not her. Maybe she's right. I've been feeling off ever since the beach. The taste of blood in my mouth. The scent filling my nose. The world wants me to kill. To hurt people. To claim everything as my own. It wanted the Drowned Men to die. For Sparks to die. But what do I want? No answer comes to mind. Not now. I haven't thought of that in quite some time. Haven't had the chance. An eternity of killing, traveling, and more killing. Bandits. Wildlife. Gangsters. All the same. All snuffed out.

I finally say, "Sometimes the world takes everything you have, Lyric. Everything that makes you feel alive. Everything that makes life worth living. I hope you never experience that." I note Abel's admonition. He's right. This is a dangerous time to be distracted. Yet, even so, I can't escape this conversation. Not yet. There's something I'm missing still. Something that's drawing us together in conflict.

  • Locked thread