Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I think you messed up that first link. :v:

Edit: Update on the previous page!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Nyu for 1d4 points of damage

NGDBSS posted:

I think you messed up that first link. :v:

Edit: Update on the previous page!

Oh yikes! I fixed it.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Hey I just wanted to let you know I am really enjoying this LP. I'm only on chapter 7 right now so way far behind, but I want to give you a shoutout anyway.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Hrm. Prayers and well wishes, you say?

Go, Maronakins, Go! *clap clap clap*
Woooooh, Maronaaaaa, You rooooock!
Puttyputtyputty!!!

Seriously, though, this turnaround has been really sweet, in many senses of the word, and it's been a wild ride so far. :)

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

We did it guys. We did it. All of us. Mostly Marona. But all of us.

Island of Evil: End of Eternity (20,3)[097]

ENDING [098]

Like, almost everyone who posted more than once in this thread had a unit named after them for that final battle. Hopefully you don't mind. If you do, well, too late now.

sethimothy fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 3, 2017

Wiffle
Jan 5, 2014
Goob job finishing the main game. Putties are the best race so it's nice that I got one :cool:

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012

sethimothy posted:

Like, almost everyone who posted more than once in this thread had a unit named after them for that final battle. Hopefully you don't mind. If you do, well, too late now.
That was so incredibly corny and I found it way more engaging than I probably should have.

Congrats on LPing through the main game. NIS games aren't gentle to LP by any means, but it was a joy to watch along. Normally postgames in the Disgaea-likes seem kind of silly and low-content, but then, they also don't usually contain an entire alternate story. Unless you count Soul Nomad, I guess. I'm looking very forward to seeing where it goes.

Wiffle posted:

Putties are the best race so it's nice that I got one :cool:
Putty supremacy :respek:

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
Thanks for making me a Putty! I'm just so honored!

Now let's talk about the Archer class for a moment since you made Senerio into one. Archers have 2 things going for them:

1) They have the passive skill "Quick Attack" which I think I've talked about before. When a unit has this skill, it will automatically get a turn right after Marona confines it. What's important is that an Archer can pass this skill onto other units through fusion. I would use this for Bottle-Mails, "Blob bombs*" , Dungeon monks, and especially any units that have low speed but good stats/skills
2) Archers have the biggest range for throwing things (units AND objects). On the map where we got an Egg, I would use several archers to pass Marona and her equipment over to the other map and possibly back again when finished.

My point is you should make a few more.

*Fuse one Blob with a Prinny and a Titlelist to Get "Big Bang" and "Parting Gift". Add a generous number of Knights, Mystics, and Behemoths to Get "Healing Birth" and "Healing Steps" to lvl 100. Add 1 Archer for "Quick Attack". Mix vigorously and Garnish with high HP equipment. Blobs have a 1-turn limit, which makes them perfect for this. "Big Bang" and "Parting Gift" use Current HP to determine damage.

mastersord fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 4, 2017

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

It's worth noting that Archers are not the only units that can give people Quick Attack. It's also worth noting that passing along multiple Quick Attacks does not, in fact, allow that character to act multiple times at once. Would be cool if that were the case, though.

I have just started school again, and am playing around with some other projects and LP ideas, so this game will be on the back burner for a bit. However, rest assured, it will be returning! So for those of you who joined for this game, I hope you stick around!

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well, that cameo was an unexpected surprise.

I can see why this game gets such high praise for story and characters, It's well deserved. Watching that ending though, for some reason I was imagining what was going at the other side of the portal. A new valiant band of heroes attempting to banish Sulphur from their world after the last group met failure at the cusp of victory; only to get to the very brink and fail again.

Also, the part about Ash never leaving Marona's side felt very ominous to me. Do Phantoms ever age? For some reason I always got the vibe they were similar to how we view ghosts, ageless. That means in the end there really is only one way for Marona really to stay with Ash forever, and it's not a pleasant one. Completely ignoring that aspect of it, what is Ash going to do when Marona grows up? Their relationship doesn't really seem conducive to them separating; Ash is fairly obsessive and has literally nothing else to live (?) for.

Anyways, NIS games have a tendency of trying to keep things at the surface level because there are some really dark aspects to many of their stories if you start digging too deep. I've always wondered how intentional that is --and the language/cultural barriers do not help trying to figure it out. Some of this is also likely just how much more you tend to view things from a realist perspective as you grow; I can't help but feel I wouldn't have thought about this twice when the game first appeared twelve years ago.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
It's funny because the Disgaea 5 DLC cameos are essentially epilogues on those characters instead of being the usual joke cameos and sadly Ash and Marona are a notable absence.

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Just checking in to let people know I haven't forgotten about this. I needed to put some focus on real life for a bit, and get some priorities straight. We're gonna start the "Another Marona" arc with videos being shared likely Wednesday or Thursday, depending, and going from there. Also, with a new microphone power source, you can hear me without me eating the drat thing, which will be nice! Going back over older videos, sometimes it sounds like I'm 13 and if I speak too loudly my parents are gonna wake up and find me on their TRS-80 or something.

I like the general flow we've got going on this game so I'm not going to be adding screenshots or whatever, but other projects will likely have more serious editing.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

sethimothy posted:

Just checking in to let people know I haven't forgotten about this. I needed to put some focus on real life for a bit, and get some priorities straight. We're gonna start the "Another Marona" arc with videos being shared likely Wednesday or Thursday, depending, and going from there. Also, with a new microphone power source, you can hear me without me eating the drat thing, which will be nice! Going back over older videos, sometimes it sounds like I'm 13 and if I speak too loudly my parents are gonna wake up and find me on their TRS-80 or something.

I like the general flow we've got going on this game so I'm not going to be adding screenshots or whatever, but other projects will likely have more serious editing.

I am glad to hear that! I was worried you might've forgotten this LP. Even if you do forget, I still appreciate your efforts.

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

And we return, with an extended cutscene and 2 maps ready to go! :D

Episode 1: And Everyone Was Gone
And Everyone Was Gone [A000]
Terra Firma: Seaside Treasure (A1,1) [A001]
Monetopia: No Man's Land (A1,2) [A002]

We are given like a dozen new characters right from the start, which I barely play with in these videos because seriously that's so many people. I want to work them in though, so if you have a favorite let me know! Don't be too concerned about how everything is super low level, because the interesting thing about Another Marona is how things quickly ramp up in difficulty.

We discover campfires, which are basically skulls, and we discover fish cakes, which are... well you know, I'm not exactly sure. Cakes made out of fish?

The premise of this entire arc is that everyone has died, except strangely Marona. Or at least, that's what seems to be going on. If you've played through this arc before no spoilers at all about what's going on. But feel free to spoil upcoming new item types we can acquire. These are always a little more interesting to watch when I'm not spamming the same 2 abilities over and over again.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
I thought that starting Another Marona also automatically gave you a free Shiva and Heliotrope. I am interested in seeing Walnut in the field since you've already shown off Sprout and Raphael. Also, can I request that you equip my putty with a sword?

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
I'm just gonna request that you use the three story phantoms more often. Even if they're not gonna get a turn because Marona just outspeeds everyone.

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Nuramor posted:

I'm just gonna request that you use the three story phantoms more often. Even if they're not gonna get a turn because Marona just outspeeds everyone.

I'm going to do a few more story maps and then really push some of these guys up so that they can even have a chance because it's... kind of boring, playing the game the way I currently am. Or watching it, for that matter. I really didn't want to level all of the story characters up, but I might just have to, just so that people can see what they are capable of.

Also, yeah, it turns out there was a new Heliotrope and Shiva in my inventory, putting my collection to 3 Heliotropes and 2 Shivas.

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Isle of Healing Waters: To The Old Castle (A1,3) [A003]
Isle of Healing: Waters Another Girl (A1,4)[A004]

Episode 2: Another Marona [A005]

So we wrap up the first episode of the Another Marona story arc, which has Marona and friends fighting against... God. And Stripper-Marona, Carona. Not Corona, the beer. Or Carona, the place in Italy. Clone-Marona.

I'm not sure what the character art is supposed to convey here, since she's 13. That she's more confident in herself? That she is ready to go swimming? I know, it's a Nippon Ichi game, so going into character design is... probably not a smart idea, but yeah there's definitely a contrast between her and the Marona who has been leading our party.

It's also worth noting that this official picture doesn't show Carona with her cape. I did find some fan-art that did a reasonable job of showing her with her cape, but unfortunately it was rather spoiler-y so I didn't want to post it.

Slight spoilers: we will not actually get to use Carona as a player-controlled unit until AFTER WE BEAT THIS ENTIRE STORY ARC. This makes some sense, as having two units who can summon phantoms breaks this game in interesting ways.

Oh, and Mastersord, you told me to equip a weapon, but I can't remember which weapon you said to equip, so in each video you get a different weapon. Hopefully one of them is the right one?

We also see Fake-Raphael and Sprout see some use. Like, actual use, not just "let's put them on the field and then watch Marona forever" use.

sethimothy fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 2, 2017

Wiffle
Jan 5, 2014
It bears repeating that that character design is terrible. It's kinda weird they saved the fanservice 14 year old for this late in the game, considering the one in Disgaea is front and center.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
Did we really need fan-service of a 13-year old girl? >Yech!<

It's also nice to see that Bijou has his own voice-work (even if it's just a growl). I wonder if the others do.

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Wiffle posted:

It bears repeating that that character design is terrible. It's kinda weird they saved the fanservice 14 year old for this late in the game, considering the one in Disgaea is front and center.

Oh come on, Etna's fourteen THOUSAND years old, not fourteen, so it's okay, right?

(Not really, I mean I get that especially in the first game she's supposed to be this rebellious teen figure who literally can't fit into a succubus outfit but, well, let's not kid ourselves with the fanbase here.)

Some have speculated that Carona's character model was heavily inspired by Disgaea's Valkyrie class. I dunno if I buy that.

Just a head's up, video updates will be slower, but I am going to make sure in the next chapter we see some of the special abilities of Sprout and Bijou, and I'm going to move towards showing off two of the other characters, probably Fox and Drab. Walnut takes some special consideration, because he's an HP character, but we'll make it work. Did it seem like the last two few were at least a little more watchable than the last, at least from a perspective of showing off new things without Marona getting all the screen time?

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Just one video today.

Mt. Kazan - First Training (A2, 1) [A006]

We show off Raphael and Milon. Raphael without his blade is just a fighter class with good physical stats, but nothing you probably haven't gotten elsewhere. Milon is a really neat unit, with a really decent low remove rate, but he's soooooo sloooooooow. We also play with that Hell Anise we stole from Carona in the last fight.

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

The good news is, I haven't forgotten about this. I've discovered, with some help of some fellow goons, how to get a better recording experience so that attacks don't just freeze up the recording, which is nice (some of this was how I was producing videos, some of this was in the recording, and some of this was the fact I was using OBS classic instead of Studio.)

The bad news is, I lost a tooth that still has three stitches in it, and I'm also dealing with a cold, so... update next week? Please don't hate me. :/

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Mt. Kazan - Fiery Discipline (A2, 2) [A007]

Only been like two weeks guys. Only!

Changed things a little bit so that when I use special attacks, not so much of the recording freezes! It's more of a stuttering now. Sadly, we are at a point where getting this issue taken care of is going to take getting OBS Studio to work, since OBS Classic hates certain particle effects. I don't know why.

We show off Drab, who lives up to his name (although we stupidly did not unlock enough SP to use his Mega Crocus skill, we'll use that next video), and Fox who is actually kind of cool in that he controls the undead and is also just a solid mage unit to boot. We also show off Bijou's Beast Strike.

I'm not an LP martyr, I swear! I've just bitten off more than I could have chewed before I had my teeth, so this hobby has taken a back seat to all that.

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Let's get back on the posting bandwagon!

Mt. Kazan - Fiery Training (A2, 3) [A008]
Icicle Island - Icy Revenge (A2, 4) [A009]
Icicle Island - Cold Situation (A2, 5) [A010]

We learn a little bit about Carona. Basically, she read the nasty bottle mails that Ash kept from Marona, and as a result became bitter and emboldened. Also, she was an Oxide, and actually beat Walnut at his own game. Pretty fun stuff! I also play with some of the other special characters we get here, although they are pretty... average, to be honest.

sethimothy fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Feb 27, 2017

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

sethimothy posted:

Let's get back on the posting bandwagon!

Mt. Kazan - Fiery Training (A2, 3) [A008]
Icicle Island - Icy Revenge (A2, 4) [A009]
Icicle Island - Cold Situation (A2, 5) [A010]

We learn a little bit about Carona. Basically, she read the nasty bottle mails that Ash kept from Marona, and as a result became bitter and emboldened. Also, she was an Oxide, and actually beat Walnut at his own game. Pretty fun stuff! I also play with some of the other special characters we get here, although they are pretty... average, to be honest.

Just an FYI:
[A008] is pointing to [A007]
[A010] is pointing to [A008]

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

mastersord posted:

Just an FYI:

God drat it.

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Icy Trap (A2, 6) [A011]

I have finished the entirety of Chapter 2 in Another Marona, but want to try edit it a bit before I do, but we'll see. Hopefully I'll have it up in a couple of days, and not like, next week.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
Nice to see I'm still getting some use :)
That explode on summon has come in really handy.

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Desert Island - Mislead (A2, 7) [A012]
Lonely Desert (A2, 8) [A013]
Lonely Desert (A2, 9) [A014]

Carona calls Ash out on being a pedophile who watches Marona bathe and dress. I am not even kidding. Then later, there's a conversation that Carona takes to mean that even she is within Ash's range of dateble girls, much to her disgust. I am not making this up, it couldn't be any creepier if they tried. Just watch the videos.

sethimothy fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 9, 2017

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
I'm guessing in the other world, Ash either died before becoming a phantom, or ditched his world's Marona. Sadly the pedo comments are kinda common in japanese media, still pretty off putting.

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

RedMagus posted:

I'm guessing in the other world, Ash either died before becoming a phantom, or ditched his world's Marona. Sadly the pedo comments are kinda common in japanese media, still pretty off putting.

Light spoilers, the next videos I upload will actually answer this question for us.

And I mean, this wouldn't be the first, or the last, time a Nippon Ichi game has made some off-color comments about it's characters (See: Disgaea's Etna, for example) but here it's just so blatently offputting. Also worth noting, it's not played for laughs. It's not like the game is like "Hahaha, jokes about breast sizes and pervert MC's!" It comes off, in the English at least, as being truly malicious, like Carona knows what she's saying and intends to be hurtful.

I would be very curious to see how this scene played out in the Japanese version.

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Island of Evil - Reunion After 8 Years (A2, 10) [A015]
Episode 3 - Mean Carona (A3, 0) [A016]

It's been 10 days, figured I might as well actually update this thing.

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Forestia - Spirit and Body (A3, 1) [A017]
Windmill Promontory - Reoccuring Regret (A3, 2) [A018]

So in this Episode, we're seeing a theme where each fight focuses on the "body" of a possessed member of Marona's team. Also, it appears that Carona is intentionally stalling, although the reason why has not been revealed...

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

One video update is better than no video updates:

Verdant Guardiana - Spell and Wound (A3, 3) [A019]

It appears that Carona may be stalling for some reason, but in the meantime, we get to fight another party member's body.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Dropping in to say thanks for this LP! It's always good to see someone way more skilled at these games than me play them. :D

Phantom Brave is on sale for 10$ on Steam this weekend, too!

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

Dropping in to say thanks for this LP! It's always good to see someone way more skilled at these games than me play them. :D

I don't know if I'm way more skilled. At this point, way more overleveled, perhaps. Although that becomes less of an issue the closer to the end we get. And indeed, we are pretty close. Then we have, like, 12 ex battles I think? Those are basically experiments in how broken we can make the game.

School is going on again and I want to do well, children are more adorable when you spend lots of time with them, and I'm desperately trying to find real work, which all means that updates are going to be less regular... but that's kind of par for the course here, isn't it? I'll keep you all up to date.

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Frigidia - Doubt (A3, 4) [A020]
Isle of Evil - First Step to Revenge (A3, 5) [A021]
Isle of Evil - Two Faced (A3, 6) [A022]
Isle of Evil - Source of Power (A3, 7) [A023]

So let's discuss these videos a little bit. We know Carona is stalling, although it hasn't been revealed to us why. The belief that a fungi can be God seems strange even by Nippon Ichi standards, but he sure seems interested in Carona and co's plan to take on Sulphur. We still haven't found how Sulphur one-shot everyone, or for that matter why Marona was chosen to be immune to the death. There's also still no plan whatsoever to ensure that once Sulphur dies the world will return to normal, with everyone coming back to life.

And then we get to that last video, Source of Power.

loving Nerd Rage. Basically Carona asks Marona to give her Ash, since Ash is apparently Marona's source of power... and Marona is like "Well, I don't want to, but I also want to, so here you go, let me see him once in a while please." Ash is like "Yeah, we discussed this, it's fine, my mission is to protect Marona and your name is Marona but with a C so gently caress it I'm game" and just WHAT THE EVER LOVING gently caress. NO. ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Your mileage may vary of course.

We have one more fight before this chapter is complete!

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

sethimothy posted:

loving Nerd Rage. Basically Carona asks Marona to give her Ash, since Ash is apparently Marona's source of power... and Marona is like "Well, I don't want to, but I also want to, so here you go, let me see him once in a while please." Ash is like "Yeah, we discussed this, it's fine, my mission is to protect Marona and your name is Marona but with a C so gently caress it I'm game" and just WHAT THE EVER LOVING gently caress. NO. ABSOLUTELY NOT.

I didn't find that part to be that bad given everything else that's happened. Carona was left to fend for herself and so her world view is that she cannot trust or rely on anyone but herself. She's both angry that Ash never came back in her life and yet in this life he did. She's also curious as to what it's like to have a true and permanent friend. Marona on the other hand pity's Carona and also admires how self-reliant and independent Carona has become. In the end, both would get something out of the exchange of Ash. It was also symbolic in the end so nothing changes, really.

Hurricane Slash is used mainly to disarm enemy units. Keep it in mind the next time you are trying for something the enemy has and you can't steal it.

mastersord fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

mastersord posted:

Hurricane Slash is used mainly to disarm enemy units. Keep it in mind the next time you are trying for something the enemy has and you can't steal it.

Well, that's an ability I may have to use more of, then. Ah well.

In the interim, hey guess what, I actually did another video. We're limping along to the finish line!

Island of Evil - Final Battle (A3, 8) [A024]

Also, oddly, I've consistently referred to this area as the "Isle of Evil" but it's the "Island of Evil" and I'm not sure where that mistake came from...

• Locked thread