Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

sethimothy posted:

My apologies for posting four times in a row, but considering I am posting updates I didn't think it would be that big of a deal. If it is, feel free to let me know.

If someone is seriously complaining about the high frequency of updates in a LP, they deserve to be ignored.

edit : Just a note, the audio mixing on this latest set of videos seems to have the game volume way too high. It's hard to hear your commentary over it. You might also want to consider an auto-ducking plugin (automatically reduces other channel's volume when there is commentary).

Chuu fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

sethimothy posted:

I'll look into it, see what I can't do. I also need to find out where that echo is coming from, if it's just the room I'm in or if it's something I can control and fix. It's not like I'm using the cheapest setup in the world. But I'm at the point where I might have to try doing the audio as a separate track and add it on, which would be a lot more work and I worry would also lead to a sound that would be a little less spontaneous. Still a lot I need to learn, hahaha.

Probably a discussion for the tech support thread, but there are tons of AudioInput->USB adapters on eBay in the $5 range. It would be easy to add a 2nd input if you wanted to go through the effort. There should also be a way to do it in Software easily in Windows 10+ without a separate interface, not sure about older versions.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I can see why this game gets such high praise for its story and characters, but I can't help but feel that Marona is not someone to be emulated despite being a paragon of virtue; because in the real world someone like that would just get constantly taken advantage of without the payoff.

It does sadden me a little that is how I look at the world these days. I feel like I'd have a very different personal response to the character and game if I played it when it first came out 10 years ago.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That "OH NO YOU DIDN'T" is one of the best battle cries I've ever heard.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nippon Ichi has always been characters first plot second, this being a pretty minor plot hole compared to their usual fare. After the first couple of maps I was hoping this game would be a break from their trend of backloading all the important plot but I guess not.

It's one reason I actually want to play Disgaea 5. Supposedly it breaks from a lot of the things I find annoying about NIS games in a good way; pacing being one of them. Hopefully it comes to PC.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
edit: Well, I completely misinterpreted what "reincarnate" means in the game's context.

Chuu fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well, that cameo was an unexpected surprise.

I can see why this game gets such high praise for story and characters, It's well deserved. Watching that ending though, for some reason I was imagining what was going at the other side of the portal. A new valiant band of heroes attempting to banish Sulphur from their world after the last group met failure at the cusp of victory; only to get to the very brink and fail again.

Also, the part about Ash never leaving Marona's side felt very ominous to me. Do Phantoms ever age? For some reason I always got the vibe they were similar to how we view ghosts, ageless. That means in the end there really is only one way for Marona really to stay with Ash forever, and it's not a pleasant one. Completely ignoring that aspect of it, what is Ash going to do when Marona grows up? Their relationship doesn't really seem conducive to them separating; Ash is fairly obsessive and has literally nothing else to live (?) for.

Anyways, NIS games have a tendency of trying to keep things at the surface level because there are some really dark aspects to many of their stories if you start digging too deep. I've always wondered how intentional that is --and the language/cultural barriers do not help trying to figure it out. Some of this is also likely just how much more you tend to view things from a realist perspective as you grow; I can't help but feel I wouldn't have thought about this twice when the game first appeared twelve years ago.

• Locked thread