Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

This is it. The video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameboyHero
Apr 11, 2010

And we done with Atlantica and aside from one thing, I have no real reason to return. Thank god.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug
Here's another tip as you've gotten a ~magic focused Keyblade, +MP is the most useful stat for more powerful wizard skills as max MP is tied more heavily into spell damage than Sora's Magic stat. Higher max MP == more wizard murder!

Besides the Clayton fight giant Ursula was the other first boss fight to regularly kick my rear end as frequent Thunder casts are very rude. In addition to the auto tracking laser blasts

e: I didn't find this fact out by myself, speedruns provided this info which isn't given anywhere in game(?)

e2: Yeah for the first Ursula fight I've always just blasted the gently caress out of the cauldron with Fire/Fira until she gets whacked to poo poo.

Pelican Dunderhead fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jan 24, 2017

GameboyHero
Apr 11, 2010

Pelican Dunderhead posted:

Here's another tip as you've gotten a ~magic focused Keyblade, +MP is the most useful stat for more powerful wizard skills as max MP is tied more heavily into spell damage than Sora's Magic stat. Higher max MP == more wizard murder!
Yea, I remember reading about that though I wonder if my build would get any mileage out of it. Maybe I can figure something out for the bonus bosses.

GameboyHero
Apr 11, 2010

What started as two parts ended up as one 40 minute video instead. Brace for it cause we gonna fly.

EDIT: Well poo poo, part of the game audio got accidentally muted. I'll get the fixed version up sometime tomorrow morning.
EDIT2: Audio should be fine now.

GameboyHero fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 27, 2017

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

*courtesy flush*

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.
I'm not sure if it's intentional or not, but in the manga, all the plants/souls that Ursula captured were released; and she apparently stays dead in the sequel.

This does not happen in the game; but then, she's not dead either until KH2. (Her ghost? appears in DDD. I have no idea why.)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Peter Pan is a douchebag because he's supposed to be an allegory for Satan. Or at least, that's a theory I read years ago (probably here, honestly). Something about making people be kids for ever = the promise of eternal youth, and Neverland freezing over when dies or leaves. If nothing else, that one movie about the original author of Peter Pan gets a lot weirder with this in mind.

GameboyHero
Apr 11, 2010

C-Euro posted:

If nothing else, that one movie about the original author of Peter Pan gets a lot weirder with this in mind.
I mean given everything we've seen, I would believe it.

And I guess I can excuse Ursula just kind of showing up in DDD since the whole thing is just Dreams but man, that's a weird way to do a tutorial.

So good news all around, everything I need has been recorded. Just need to edit it all together. Should be another 8-10 parts left before it's all done.

GameboyHero
Apr 11, 2010

Down to the last eight videos. Everything should be done hopefully by the next two to three weeks. Time to finish this.

I810BUX
Aug 10, 2007

Cheesu~~
Hey, Hollow Bastion is real cool but sewer levels are real bad just chimin in.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Riku has just seen Zoolander one too many times so "listen to your good friend Billy Zane" is a way of life, not just some movie quote.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I feel kinda bad about not posting so much, but then again there is not much to say other than "boy, this sure is an anime."
Still, thanks for doing this lp of this lovely game about a really bad fanfic.

Also,

I810BUX posted:

Hey, Hollow Bastion is real cool but sewer levels are real bad just chimin in.

GameboyHero
Apr 11, 2010

Making the Hollow Bastion episodes pretty short is a good thing cause there's a lot to walking around for the most part. Plus makes finding good spots to stop easier. So now we actually climb this big ol' castle.

GameboyHero
Apr 11, 2010

Remember how bad you were once, and you had to rewatch a certain scene many times? Meeeeemoriieeeeeeeeeees.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Only one death? I mean, that could have gone a lot worse.

I honestly can't remember how many tries it took me to beat Riku there the first time I played this game... too long ago.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I like it when evil/possessed/possessed by evil characters have that double-voice effect like Riku had there for a moment. Very underused trope IMO

GameboyHero
Apr 11, 2010

KieranWalker posted:

Only one death? I mean, that could have gone a lot worse.

I honestly can't remember how many tries it took me to beat Riku there the first time I played this game... too long ago.

It helps that I've done a casual proud mode run before hand. KH2 Critical Mode on the other hand will probably be half blind (did each world once but not the return trips).

So after loving up big time, we head back once more to Hollow Bastion to fix this mess.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Man, why the heck do Sora and Kairi's faces keep jumping back and forth between the low-res, 1-frame-of-animation versions and the high-res, fully animated versions between different camera angles in the same damned cutscene? :psyduck:

GameboyHero
Apr 11, 2010

Things have caught up but I actually found time to upload these videos. So to make up for lost time, here's three updates to make up for it (OK it's actually two but the Pooh videos ended up being two videos soooo).

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Fun trivia, Piglet's original voice actor is in the movie 12 Angry Men. He's the really timid guy with glasses (juror #3?), if you watch the movie knowing that ahead of time it'll be super obvious.

Also Jim Cummings has done a shitload of voice work, especially for Disney. I'm pretty sure he does Pete who we'll see eventually if you continue on with this series. He was also Minsc in the Baldur's Gate games if you're into that sort of thing :eng101:

GameboyHero
Apr 11, 2010

Down to one more update after this one. And while most of Final Mix's additional content has been stuff like new moves, heartless and accessories, they did add one additional boss fight! But really, the rear end in a top hat of the game is still this guy!

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Not gonna lie, I attempted to fight Sephiroth one time and completely gave up on the idea after that.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:

KieranWalker posted:

Not gonna lie, I attempted to fight Sephiroth one time and completely gave up on the idea after that.

Same.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

KieranWalker posted:

I didn't because I was borrowing my friend's PS2 to play this and wanted to milk everything out of the game before I had to return it, and also because I hated myself :shepface: I did get that bastard eventually though. Strike Raid was my go-to move for knocking him out of Heartless Angel.

GameboyHero
Apr 11, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Strike Raid was my go-to move for knocking him out of Heartless Angel.
When you're so afraid of wasting MP, the thought of keyblade attacks scares me.

It's been a rough 5 months but after everything's said and done, the ride's gotta end eventually. Least for another month or so! Thanks for watchin'.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug
holy smokes what a mermaid

e: nice

Pelican Dunderhead fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Mar 14, 2017

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Well, that was an adventure. Chain of Memories is going to be a ride!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
As an idiot who still plays Magic: the Gathering, the company behind the game has spent the last couple of years trying to turn it into anime in all but art style and the game is much worse off for it.

Also, the rumor I always heard about Billy Zane is that he took part in a Turkish film with a very strong anti-Iraq war message in like '05 or '06 and got blackballed from Hollywood as a result. But he had a scene in the Zoolander sequel last year which was a pleasant surprise!

Anyway, good job and thanks for doing this LP. This series has an insane, stupid aesthetic but it owns it and never backs down, and I respect it for that. And this first game is at least still the tried and true formula of "youth loses home to evil, youth saves world from said evil with friends made along the way"

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 14, 2017

• Locked thread