Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
well thats not entirely true i've beaten paper mario 1, p[ut about 6 hours into world of final fantasy and played abotu 4 horus of FF13 and beat dragon age 1 2 and mass effects but i would like to actually play a RPG and play as my first i am a weak rear end gamer who isnt good so i'd like it to be kind of forgiving and not overly complicated do any of you guys have a reccomendation it doesnt have to be final fantasy i heard fantasy star 4 is a okay game but is it actaully good perhaps final fantasy x on ps4 thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
perhaps final fantasy x on ps4

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
super mario rpg

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Xenogears

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
What exactly do you mean by REAL RPG? And how retro are you willing to tolerate? Also, yeah Phantasy Star 4 is good and doesn't really require any prior knowledge of the series.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
legends of the dragoon is the best rpg ever

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

I never played a real first person shooter, except maybe Doom, Wolfenstein, Quake, Doom 3, Half-Life, Turok, and a bunch of others.

Play Fallout 1 and Planescape: Torment.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
I also might suggest Chrono Cross? it's really good and better than Super Mario RPG

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Suikoden 2 is amazing.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So many good recommendations I will try one of them which one hmmmmmm

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I recommend a scientific approach.

Find pictures of each game.

Pick the one with the most anime hair.

bleepshoes
Nov 9, 2016
Baldur's Gate II, Boo compels you

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Endorph posted:

super mario rpg

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

bleepshoes posted:

Baldur's Gate II, Boo compels you

I HATED Baldur's Gate. I still think it's trash. But Baldur's Gate 2 is one of my all-time favorites. But...I really feel like someone should play through 1 before playing 2. But I don't think anyone should play 1. Such a rotten paradox.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Sorry for beating a dead horse. I know this comes up every time we discuss Super Mario RPG, but I really don't think it delivers on the anime hair.

You can tell the devs tried, but that hat gave them nothing to work with.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Xaris posted:

I also might suggest Chrono Cross? it's really good and better than Super Mario RPG

while chrono cross is a good game with a great soundtrack this is patently false

fight me nerd

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
The opening of FFXV starts with "A Final Fantasy for first timers and fans"

That game is made for you, OP

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I thought I heard Balders Gate 2 was hard

I want to play FF15 I mighjt do tat but I kinda want to play a traditonal menu based RPG which is also why I dont wanna play some crpg (i might tho( ill take any kind of retro altho i tried to play FF6 GBA and the graphics were kinda so bad it was unfun (definitely the sound was annoying) but it was hard 2

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Fallout 1 loving sucks, do not play that game. It's worse in every way than Fallout 2, which is a kind of overrated game in and of itself (although it's a drat sight better than FO1).

In terms of recommendations:

Baldur's Gate 2

It's one of those games where it's kind of a challenge if you don't know the mechanics inside out (but a beatable one!) that becomes real easy if you know how to break it over your knee. Anyone telling you it's easy going into it cold is wrong; spell selection is a bit finicky, the spell text is often unclear, the classes have weird balance, and equipment restrictions are kinda arbitrary, but you can win so long as you read the text and get used to changing things that aren't working out when you reload.

It's still the best western CRPG ever made, which is why like half the entire new generation of RPGs keeps trying to recreate its lightning-in-a-bottle combination of pacing, relatively sombre tone (except for some mainly not that funny skits + characters), and party interactions. Painted backgrounds and 'you must gather your party before venturing forth' and all (incidentally, this will never work, just like all those space 4X games aping Master of Orion 2).

I would say you can go into it without playing the mainly quite bad BG1, and that you can consider it wrapped up (sorta) at the end of SoA rather than going into the (quite bad) Throne of Bhaal expansion pack.

Alpha Protocol is also a good RPG that's pretty similar to Mass Effect 2 in presentation and tone, but its unique dialogue/relationship system is still to this day better than any of its competition at forcing you into decisions that keep the story going. Main sour points are saving by checkpoint and a couple of awkward boss fights (skill pistols even a little to obviate this).

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
is fallout 4 a real rpg if yes try that

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

jBrereton posted:

Fallout 1 loving sucks, do not play that game. It's worse in every way than Fallout 2, which is a kind of overrated game in and of itself (although it's a drat sight better than FO1).

You sir, are marked.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Most RPGs are loving garbage bro. Like, the entire point is the world and the story and the world and the story are being written by video game nerd people so it's really just awful. Baldur's Gate 2 is garbage and all the people recommending it either haven't played it in 15 years or they're super spergs who min-max their TACOs so that they don't get rear end-hosed by the numerous totally bullshit gotcha moments that every single RPG of that stripe has. Similarly all the jerkholes recommending Fallout 2 will just do some sequence breaking poo poo and forget that if you're playing it blind it's 60 hours of clubbing rats with a crowbar in a sewer before you actually get to anything interesting. Just play Magicka, it has all the bullshit RPG tropes but doesn't try to make you care about their 2d character sketches and when the dialogue starts to bore you you can shoot fireballs at everyone and peace out.

Also here is every Japanese RPG: The real magic is friendship and love, and it was in you the whole time. You're welcome.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
Mario RPG was my first RPG and it's good, it's a lot less whimsical and silly than Paper Mario and a lot more Square trying to be sort of RPG-serious complete with requisite JRPG "why do we have to have weapons?!" tropes. Shoving in enemies and characters that aren't very Mario-ish keeps things interesting.

Earthbound is good and very menu based to the point of being sort of clunky, great soundtrack and different from all the dumb swords and wizards and spells RPGs

That's it those are the only RPGs, pick whichever you'd like

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

credburn posted:

You sir, are marked.
FO1 has terrible pacing and if you deny that you are a fantasist.

FO2 has a similarly weak starting like 5 hours of fighting plants, geckos, and then rats with a spear or pipe rifle before you get into the more interesting few hours of the midgame and are then railroaded into a combat-heavy endgame with minimal potential to RP.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Xaris posted:

legends of the dragoon is the best rpg ever

Except it aged incredibly horrible compared to even other PSX era RPGs.

If we're going classic I gotta recommend FF6.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

RPGs are a disease which can be purged by attempting to play Xenosaga Episode 1 in its entirety.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Sounds like you've played a lot of rpgs op

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
earthbound is boring as poo poo no graphics just a sprite who wants to look at that

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Earthbound sucks for a myriad of reasons but the graphics aren't one of them.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Is this the Bad Opinion Megathread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
if you go with something newer/actiony, The Witcher 3 is the best of the best. Menu wise and simple? Final Fantasy X was my first. People like to rib on it, and it's far from perfect, but it's incredibly charming.

• Locked thread