Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Marluxia's final form was in the GBA version, you're thinking of the second phase, which is Re:CoM exclusive. Also his final form is hilariously easy. I actually didn't see half of his attacks because I was using a Lethal Frame card build and just exploded him basically within 2-3 minutes.

Another thing to note is all the Organization members have a specific "element" that they can use and control. Marluxia's, from my memory, is "Flowers". He's such a stupid head.

I can't wait for KH3 to replace the theme with something different at LAST I'M SO SICK OF SIMPLE AND CLEAN I'M CLEAN AND SIMPLE ENOUGH KINGDOM HEARTS I'M SQUEAKY CLEAN.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
I'll say this much, the last battles with Marluxia are intense as gently caress if your entire deck is a heap of random sleights that seemed cool at the time, like mine was. It's so satisfying to trap Marluxia in a corner and set off a Firaga Burst that takes out a healthbar and a half, though.

Marluxia's final surprise sleight is vicious as hell, too. I like to think it represents the very last of Sora's memory being ripped apart, leaving him nothing but a confused, helpless little kid who finds himself standing before the Grim Reaper.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Oh man, I wasn't sure you guys were going to bother with the Riku campaign after getting through all that. Should be fun :allears:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Judging by trailers, KH3 still has Simple and Clean.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Seeing Marluxia's sleights that gently caress with your deck was pretty neat as I don't remember them being in the GBA game, even for the second phase that is in that game. But seeing them also really drives home the criticism of "this game can't decide if it wants to be an action game or a card battler"

At any rate, good job and I'm looking forward to seeing Riku mode. I remember that one being more streamlined, if not more enjoyable outright.

PrinceAwful
Mar 28, 2015
Eagerly anticipating Riku's story. Even though it's a slog, It has in my opinion, the best plot in the Kingdom Hearts series.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

PrinceAwful posted:

Eagerly anticipating Riku's story. Even though it's a slog, It has in my opinion, the best plot in the Kingdom Hearts series.

It's a lot easier to play compared to Sora's version too.

The grind isn't nearly as bad, at least.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
I still can't believe how Sora reacted towards the end. "Namine is my bestest best friend, and I promised we would always be together!" She JUST told you she had messed with your memories, and that you never actually knew her! She said it right to your face and she had already stopped messing with your head, so how do you still think like this?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I mean I guess the game is short so it has two campaigns but yikes, that sucks.

Schubalts posted:

I still can't believe how Sora reacted towards the end. "Namine is my bestest best friend, and I promised we would always be together!" She JUST told you she had messed with your memories, and that you never actually knew her! She said it right to your face and she had already stopped messing with your head, so how do you still think like this?

I don't know what you're expecting, the game very clearly explained this to Sora multiple times and he never "got it" :v:

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Schubalts posted:

Sora is a sweet naive child and isn't going to be a huge dick to a sad little girl regardless of heart memory crimes. I mean he is a bit dull but I don't think he missed that point.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

sora is the kind of dude who would end up in a relationship with a budding serial killer and think "no, this is fine, this is what girls are"

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Finally, a character I can relate to.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

and its time to start up riku mode, starring the famous dark anti-hero "Riku", love that guy.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
It's probably for the best that you're skipping most of the Disney worlds, because Riku has some really bad world decks.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I actually really like Riku's gimmick in this; not needing to pause and reload means his gameplay is a lot more action-y.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hey Futurefriend, could you post that picture you're using as the thumbnail? I can't really make out any of the details via youtube.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Hey Futurefriend, could you post that picture you're using as the thumbnail? I can't really make out any of the details via youtube.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Neat! Thanks!

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

I actually really like Riku's gimmick in this; not needing to pause and reload means his gameplay is a lot more action-y.

It helps that Riku is designed for a hyperaggressive play-style, too. Sora excels at fighting defensively and building up sleights; Riku just charges at things and cardbreaks them to death while screaming "LIKE IT?!" again and again.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In regard to Mickey sounding a bit off in this game, as I understand it this was one of Wayne Allwine's last performances as the character and he was really sick at the time of recording.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Larryb posted:

In regard to Mickey sounding a bit off in this game, as I understand it this was one of Wayne Allwine's last performances as the character and he was really sick at the time of recording.

I just recently learned that this was the same reason North Kai sounded so awful at the beginning of Dragon Ball Super.

Man the voice acting industry is brutal

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Okay, thanks to this art, now I notice how short Riku's dumb gloves are.

Also, while the writing in these first two games hasn't been stellar, Ansem's voice acting is still phenomenal.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Smug Ansem is amazing.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

One thing to note from the GBA version is Riku's dodge roll was just straight up better, so fighting Defenders on floor 1 was so much easier as Riku than Sora.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Okay, thanks to this art, now I notice how short Riku's dumb gloves are.

Also, while the writing in these first two games hasn't been stellar, Ansem's voice acting is still phenomenal.

Yeah, Ansem's new VA is still pretty good when he goes full ham, it's just that the rest of his appearances in the franchise kinda don't have him doing that nearly as often. Plus, Billy Zane.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
The two mechanics that Ansem took you through weren't in the GBA version, you just had a straight-up boss fight there instead. So that's kinda neat.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Um it's not called Riku Mode it's called Reverse/Rebirth, show some respect

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Looper posted:

Reverse/Rebirth

gross

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

lets keep going on and see what those knuckleheads in the basement are up to

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I'm digging the symbolism of Riku beating up smelly nerds in Marluxia's basement. It really speaks to me

The Gentlemieu
Jan 1, 2013
Soiled Meat
Lexaues' thing is that he's resistant to normal attacks, but weak to sleights. This trait is passed on in his enemy card. I guess the card duel system makes him a lot easier in this version. He was much more difficult in gba version unless you burned through cards making dark firaga.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Lex's fight is one of my favorites in both this game and the original. There's something about it I really dig.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

FutureFriend posted:

*insert like 3 different jokes from the episode*

also Lexaeus's weapon looks like the way a lot of JRPGs design high-level axes (some of the late game ones from Dragon Quest 8 come to mind)

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I love how smell is a plot point in Riku's story that comes out of nowhere and for no real reason.

(edited out possible probatable thing, please forgive me i've had a couple to drink)

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Mar 29, 2017

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh sweet the adventures of DARKNESS boy are back!

get that OUT of my face posted:

I love how smell is a plot point in Riku's story that comes out of nowhere and for no real reason. Kingdom Hearts plot, folks.

Snikt bub, snikt

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Since Riku's deck changes depending on the world, you get some interesting combos. Olympus Coliseum gives you a ton of low number cards and the Powerwild card, which reverses card value, so for a reload you have all 9s. Wonderland's is just bad though because you get a total of 7 not good cards, without some kind of gimmick to work with.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Gologle posted:

Lex's fight is one of my favorites in both this game and the original. There's something about it I really dig.

It was a fun fight, also his sword/hammer/axe thing rules and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

in the semi-final update of re:chain of memories, we get to all the cool poo poo in this game

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Was that cutscene with the nerd even saying anything other than DARKNESS DARKNESS DARKNESS?

• Locked thread