Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Looper
Mar 1, 2012
13 year old me liked the battle system, but 13 year old me also thought Tales of Symphonia was the best game ever

miss that weird card game craze of the early-mid 2000s tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
also the thread title is aces

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Between Mega Man Battle Network, Lost Kingdoms, Baten Kaitos, and Metal Gear Acid, yeah I'd say so

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I liked Axel more before he had voice acting and hot memes

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Agreed, but also I'm one of Those People and I really like the spritework

Goofy's voice actor is a treasure though

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I guarantee someone has drawn Phil wearing that black robe

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
this game's plot reads like fanfiction good lord

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

get that OUT of my face posted:

Boy, Riku went from "misguided lovestruck teenager" to "irredeemable little poo poo" pretty quickly.

he's so jealous and jilted, it's adorable

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Ephraim225 posted:

The idea certainly isn't bad. I played through six floors or so myself after this LP inspired me to try the game again.

My only problem with it, honestly, is Card Breaks. If your deck is all nines, regular enemies can barely lift a finger to hurt you and you'll never have to dodge. Also, only one enemy can attack at a time, which is boring. If your deck is all ones, you're gonna get killed: Getting card broken puts you in danger you basically can't avoid. Bosses with real decks can have zeroes and sleights to card break you whenever they want, as well. I dunno what I'd do with the numbers in place of Card Breaks, probably something like chip codes in Mega Man Battle Network.

Now, that doesn't mean you can't formulate a strategy around Card Breaks. If you have nothing but ones, then the Powerwild Enemy Card is the best thing ever because it turns every one into a nine until your next reload, which won't come for awhile if your deck has many Potions. (Of course, you would have to actually get a Powerwild to drop its Enemy Card.)

You can also get much more out of Attack cards when you realize that some Keyblades do more damage depending on where they're placed in Sora's basic 3-hit combo. This is something the game never tells you, though, so if it never came up in the LP I'm not surprised. Of course once we start seeing Sleight abuse in the later parts of the game, this matters less and less.

Were they ever planning on having the card system in BBS? It'd sure make sense for Aqua considering her ending.

If you look at the detailed information for keyblade cards in the journal, they all have different stats for slash, thrust, and finisher (aka the parts of your combo)

It's still dumb though and I would argue the idea is actually bad and fundamentally flawed. Out of all the weird card games of the mid 2000s, CoM had the worst system

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Quinton Flynn is truly the Ewan McGregor of this franchise

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Dumbass confession time: this was the first KH game I played and I didn't bother to read up on the plot of 1 beforehand so I all that I knew about it was beating up Disney villains with a giant key, and also there is an existential darkness. As such I fell for the "Namine is your long-lost buddy!" trap hook, line, and sinker, pretty much until the end of Destiny Islands where you see an image of Kairi and the game goes "hey remember her dummy?"

Namine has more screentime in this game than Kairi in like every KH put together by my estimation so no worries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Um it's not called Riku Mode it's called Reverse/Rebirth, show some respect

• Locked thread