Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Gilmore Girls TV’s warmest, fuzziest blanket of good, good times. Gilmore Girls is the story single mother Lorelai Gilmore and her daughter, Rory, who live in an insane asylum masquerading as a tiny Connecticut town called Stars Hollow. After leaving her upper class home with her newborn daughter at age 16, Lorelai needs to return to her WASP parents to request help paying for Chilton, a private school Rory was accepted into. From there we follow the laughs, loves, anger and heartbreaks that follow all three of the Gilmore Girls and the extending side characters that populate the town of Stars Hollow.

Let’s meet our main cast:

Lorelai Gilmore – Mother, fast talker, fast food addict, coffee fiend, Queen of Stars Hollow, Lorelai is our main protagonist throughout the show. Loves mocking people.She manages a small, high end Inn.

Lorelai “Rory” Gilmore- Shares many traits with her mother, really only replacing the love of suffering with the ability to read more books than humanly possible. A homebody with few friends, beloved by the townies of Star Hollow, thought to be perfect by her grandparents for some reason. Dreams of being a serious journalist.

Emily Gilmore- Lorelai’s mother. Controlling, manipulative, strong willed, beholden to proper protocol and etiquette, and emotionally distant. Emily has a hard time understanding her daughter and an even harder time expressing herself in a sincere manner. She is the best character on the show and I will accept no talk saying otherwise.

Luke Danes-Owner and Proprietor of Luke’s Diner, one of the more popular restaurants in Stars Hollow. Easily annoyed, health nut, sarcastic, likes to do things simply and properly, he serves as a bit of comedic foil for Lorelai’s more laid back lifestyle. Always ready to be Town Dad even if he screams he doesn’t want to be.

Lane Kim- One of Rory’s two friends and master schemer. Lane dreams of being a famous rock and roll drummer and has a serious obsession with music, which puts her at odds with her strict 7th Day Adventist Mother.

Paris Geller- Rory’s other friend. Intense, focused, prepared. Paris is a woman who knows exactly what she wants and works as hard as she can to get there, no matter how many people she terrifies to get there.

Richard Gilmore- Lorelai’s father. Loves his grandaughter more than life itself, but don’t let that fool you. Richard Gilmore is one of the most cutthroat men in the insurance business and would gut you and leave you to die without a second thought.

Rory’s Beaus

Dean Forrester- A garbage sack pretending to be a human being

Jess Mariano- Luke’s nephew. Perfection.

Logan Huntzberger- Smug,from a Rich family. Becomes slightly less of an rear end eventually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGGNNSmGDpU

Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life is the Netflix exclusive revival (Out on November 25, 2016) of Gilmore Girls. It’s the return of the show’s original writer and producer for the show, Amy Sherman-Palladino, who left the show before its 7th and final season due to failed contract negotiations between her and The CW. Featuring a return of the entire cast, including the entire town of Stars Hollows, the follow-up centers around the three Gilmore Girls as try to figure out where each of their lives are going. Rory is stuck with no real job and now idea what to do with herself, Lorelai is worried with how her relationship with Luke is shaping up, and Emily is facing life alone after the recent death of Richard.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Nov 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
poo poo i just heard about this. i haven't thought about this show in 10 years but i'm hyped as hell

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That sure is a funny way of spelling Kirk and Paris Appreciation Station.

So hype.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

EL BROMANCE posted:

That sure is a funny way of spelling Kirk and Paris Appreciation Station.

So hype.

Paris and Doyle's relationship is the best one in the show. They feel the most like real people and that's weird because otherwise they're cartoons.

EDIT: Added the Year In The Life trailer.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Nov 15, 2016

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Beyond excited for this #teamjess.

See you when Hilary's president!

vaginadeathgrip
Jun 18, 2003

all them bitches can't handle my sassy ass mouth
I'm not sure I can keep up with this thread until I have seen it all. I want no spoilies!

I walked through Stars Hollow before they started shooting and the set dressers were hand-tying fall leaves to the trees. Hollywood is a LIE!!

Also Team Jess :swoon:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Pfft. No Marty!? I'm scandalized. Scandalized, I tell you.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

Marty ended up with a much better lady than Rory.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I've been listening to the Gilmore Guys podcast for the past few months (and gasp they have a cameo in the revival!). Anyway, their predictions for the revival are hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVGqJ88_6SQ

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Dean Forrester- A garbage sack pretending to be a human being

perfect

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Marty ended up with a much better lady than Rory.

Is this in season 7? One of these days I'll maybe make it past the hilariously racist lets bring Japan to Rory episode.

No joke though I almost cried at the first trailer so I'm sure the full Richard wake scene is going to leave me a blubbering mess like the end of a lars von trier film. I'm so so so excited for friday.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Nov 23, 2016

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Open Source Idiom posted:

Marty is a creepy gently caress in the last season. I'd be team Marty if it wasn't for the awful boyfriend storyline.

I still haven't made it through the 5 hour Gilmore Guys episode for the finale. Looking forward to Bunhead Bros.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Gilmore Guys was/is a great podcast and all their cast interviews have been fantastic. Rewatching the show post listening to them was pretty great thanks to the insight on all the townies you get from them.

Seriously go back and rewatch any scene with Gypsy and Lorelai in it. She's playing it like Gypsy's got the biggest crush on Lorelai and it's great.

Also just two more days, Gillys. Hope everyone's ready to binge watch and spoiler chat the second they hit netflix!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It's out.

And great so far.

Leocadia
Dec 26, 2011
There's a second film by Kirk!

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
gently caress you Logan. Aaaagh. Why is he in this so much?

April is literally that college liberal girl meme now.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

OH my god they finally confirmed michel's sexualilty

so Luke's hair, is this a Scott Patterson or a Luke thing... cause god that is distracting.

Done with Winter, that was pitch perfect, absolutely perfect. This is literally everything I've ever wanted from a revival.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Nov 25, 2016

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Why must my wife sleep after a 14 hour night shift? Wake up and watch this damned show with me!

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I can't breathe

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/daily-shouts/the-lottery-in-stars-hollow?intcid=mod-latest&mbid=social_facebook

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just watched the first episode because I watched this show in college, but eh.. It's bizarrely nasty, weirdly sexist and just... unpleasant to watch. Was it always like this?

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Holy poo poo that ending. I'm guessing they are planning more.

Yes, I cried.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
glad to see that rory turned out to be a woman who emotionally abuses her boyfriend, acts flippant about it, and then casually cheats on him

why would i want to watch these horrible assholes?

oliwan fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 25, 2016

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
The secret is that Rory has always been the worst.

Perfect. Just perfect.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

i am the bird posted:

The secret is that Rory has always been the worst.

This really is the truth. I feel like Rory and Logan don't think it's really cheating because they're not actually invested in the relationships they're in. Paul is basically an in-joke, and Odette is another step in Logan's journey that's been decided for him since before he could learn to choose his own path.

Winter to Summer were all great, with maybe Spring being the weakest with some weird pacing issues. Fall is some next level poo poo and it feels like the long-awaited present to every die-hard Gilmore Girls fan out there. What a lovely, amazing journey this has been to get here.

SEX BURRITO posted:

Yes, I cried.

I thought it was the funeral that would get to me, but it was actually Rory going through the empty house and remembering moments with her grandparents, and Richard at his desk made me lose it.

That ending though. Rory's now come full circle with Lorelai, faced with an unwanted pregnancy with a father that cannot be available, this time not because of age and immaturity but from social obligations. The conversation with her father really cemented the parallels between the situation she's going to face herself in. And as for her love life, I'm glad they left it open ended with Jess and finally resolved Logan with the LDB outing/farewell. It felt proper that they did give him the most face time as their relationship was the most complicated out of the three, though I still hate his stupid face, even if Matt Czuchry somehow got hotter.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 25, 2016

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yes/no answers if possible:

1. Does it end with the 'final four words'
2. If so, worth the hype?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yes/no answers if possible:

1. Does it end with the 'final four words'
2. If so, worth the hype?

It's a little jarring and seems to come out of nowhere at first, but it brings things full circle in a weird way and is actually pretty thematically consistent with the show. It's not gonna make a lot of people happy. I've been kind of skirting the GG subreddit and there's a lot of people who outright hate the last 4 words and the revival. I think there's a lot of people who have very strong opinions on how they wanted the show to be, and this didn't make them happy about it.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Yep, same moment that got to me. Esp when Rory was sitting in Richard's chair

Random observation: Why so few people at the funeral? At the vow renewal there were like 400 guests. Richard had a massive number of business associates and a huge social network.

And of course the end montage with the wedding set to the song Reflecting Light was when the proper crying began. The original scene at Liz's wedding always made me well up.

Winter was good, a bit clunky with overly wacky bits. Spring was decent, Summer was the weakest although I loved the musical references. Fall was just :stare: but in a good way...

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Also Jess was the loving best. loving #teamjess for life.

SEX BURRITO posted:

And of course the end montage with the wedding set to the song Reflecting Light was when the proper crying began. The original scene at Liz's wedding always made me well up.

Me too. That whole sequence was just so saccharine but I don't even care

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 25, 2016

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

hope and vaseline posted:

It's a little jarring and seems to come out of nowhere at first, but it brings things full circle in a weird way and is actually pretty thematically consistent with the show. It's not gonna make a lot of people happy. I've been kind of skirting the GG subreddit and there's a lot of people who outright hate the last 4 words and the revival. I think there's a lot of people who have very strong opinions on how they wanted the show to be, and this didn't make them happy about it.

I'm very intrigued! I hope I'm in the love camp... I'm usually on board with these revival things at least.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Can we be team Jess now that they're step-cousins?

How much you enjoy the final four words will depend on your expectations really. I liked them but found them way more soap opera-y than I expected.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
Well gently caress that was amazing.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

It took about 30 minutes to warm up but then I was right back into the Stars Hollow head space.

Perfect? No, but I loved it.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
michel on sookie not being there: "she's just happy to be somewhere where she doesnt have to shave her legs"

haha wow yeah great humor, real funny, i cant believe whyt people are saying this is just a nasty, unpleasant watch.

vaginadeathgrip
Jun 18, 2003

SEX BURRITO posted:

gently caress you Logan. Aaaagh. Why is he in this so much?

Agreed. Any time he was on screen I couldn't wait for it to end.

Also the musical went on for way, way too long.

JESS JESS JESS JESS

Hope there's more.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Just watched Winter, it started off being so weird seeing this show again but it was ultimately a brilliant reboot of the series. I'm so glad they got to make this and I get to watch at least three more Gilmore Girls movies

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

oliwan posted:

glad to see that rory turned out to be a woman who emotionally abuses her boyfriend, acts flippant about it, and then casually cheats on him

why would i want to watch these horrible assholes?

Lorelai and Rory have always been bad/selfish people.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

vaginadeathgrip posted:

Also the musical went on for way, way too long.

Definitely, felt more like a vehicle to showcase Sutton Foster more than anything. Probably the only thing I'll skip on rewatches.

also r/GilmoreGirls/ seems to consist of nothing more than Logan fans and holy poo poo they're salty

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

They can still write the characters but they can't give me a reason to feel anything for them beyond nostalgia. Emily's plot was the only fulfilling one in any way. There are flashes of quality in every episode but nothing cohesive to warrant this revival existing.

vaginadeathgrip
Jun 18, 2003

hope and vaseline posted:

also r/GilmoreGirls/ seems to consist of nothing more than Logan fans and holy poo poo they're salty

If anything they've made me like it more.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Rory is truly a garbage person

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Mandrel posted:

Rory is truly a garbage person

I love how unrelenting the writers were in their takedown of Rory though. It felt like a logical culmination of her missteps from season 4 onwards, but without any get out of jail free cards she got (except maybe the mystery of how the gently caress she's paying for her plane fare)

edit: oh yeah I forgot about her trust fund stuff. And I guess she probably got a fair bit from Richard's will as well.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Nov 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Wasn't she supposed to get a trust fund at 25? There was the whole storyline where Trix wanted to give her the money early. I'm assuming that's how she was paying rent while getting a couple of articles published.

• Locked thread