Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Mu Zeta posted:

Paris acts like a oval office most of the time and I don't see why anyone would be her friend

Although Rory is terrible in so many ways, I feel she's actually a pretty good friend to Paris considering all the bullying at school and crazy behaviour at college. I always liked the spring break episode.

I want to know what happened to Madeline and Louise. gently caress the stupid life and death brigade steampunk montage nonsense for taking up potential M&L time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Some say they haven't escaped the eternal curse of the Spring Break...

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

I never got why they were at Chilton -- I was under the impression that the kids had to be hyper-smart to get in there, but I guess their parents just had to have cash.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

landgrabber posted:

I never got why they were at Chilton -- I was under the impression that the kids had to be hyper-smart to get in there, but I guess their parents just had to have cash.
I don't think they were stupid - in one early episode they make it a point to discuss their grades in front of Rory (who is struggling) and I think they both got an A or one got an A and the other a B or something. They were just bratty teenage girls too.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That Logan steampunk scene appears to be an homage to the movie Across the Universe. It's the same cover of the song and they do the rooftop thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK_amxSmM70

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Did Seth MacFarlan reprise his role as smarmy guy?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Mu Zeta posted:

That Logan steampunk scene appears to be an homage to the movie Across the Universe. It's the same cover of the song and they do the rooftop thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK_amxSmM70

Yeah, that doesn't make it or those characters any less insufferable though.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

landgrabber posted:

They were fairly smart. Was admission to Chilton based on grades though? Surely it's more about having a lot of cash and the right connections.

If it was some kind of genius school then I'm even more impressed that Rory became valedictorian. Although she did read Russian classics at the age of three according to Richard.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Halfway through Bunheads. I kind of wish there was more of everyone in town hating Michelle just to contrast all of Stars Hollow (...and everywhere else, really) constantly fawning over Rory and Lorelei all the time like they aren't two of the worst people to ever exist, but I guess that wouldn't be fair to her.

Also, IMDB said Liza Weil was in it. Is she a chameleon and I haven't been able to identify her or is she only in a single episode or something?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

She was in Bunheads. Her character was a stern lawyer or something. Exactly the same as Paris.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Paris is Jan from The Office.

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002
Rewatching the first 7 seasons after A Year in the Life is really interesting. Mitchum was right, Rory doesn't have what it takes to be a reporter. :dealwithit:

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

meet girls at the store posted:

Rewatching the first 7 seasons after A Year in the Life is really interesting. Mitchum was right, Rory doesn't have what it takes to be a reporter. :dealwithit:

She absolutely doesn't and I've seen several online articles to this effect since the reboot has come out. Been saying this since the Mitchum ep first aired. She's entirely too credulous, she's a PR person at best.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

my wife started a rewatch after we watched the reboot stuff and yeah, when you go back, it's funny to see that everyone who said Rory was bad at a thing or couldn't do a thing were mostly correct

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Mitch admitted he was wrong when she was the editor for Yale Daily

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
well I liked all of this

okay maybe not the Logan sequence in episode 4

but I am honestly surprised by how negative things sound

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

meet girls at the store posted:

Gilmore Guys had quite a long discussion about this. It's 2016 and a wannabe journalist has multiple phones, including a flip phone, doesn't spend half her life on Twitter, and can't even prep for an interview. Also, they pointed out ASP doesn't seem to know the difference between a writer and a reporter.

I was going to say she'd be a good editor, then I remembered she couldn't even work out distribution for a tiny local paper.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I mean she was a better editor of the Yale paper than she was a writer of it at least.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
We just finished season 6, holy poo poo that was bad. I hear 7 is worse and I'm having trouble figuring out how.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What do you think of Logan and the other lovely yale friends? There's way more of that. And more Christopher.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

What do you think of Logan and the other lovely yale friends? There's way more of that. And more Christopher.

I hate Christopher so much.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

redbackground posted:

I hate Christopher so much.

How did Christopher have the balls to do that poo poo at Vow renewal he did after his massive gently caress ups through season 1-4?

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

How did Christopher have the balls to do that poo poo at Vow renewal he did after his massive gently caress ups through season 1-4?

those were Emily's balls, she was just letting him use them.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Ouhei posted:

We just finished season 6, holy poo poo that was bad. I hear 7 is worse and I'm having trouble figuring out how.

I actually think season 6 is worse than season 7. Don't get me wrong, s7 is bad, but more in that it's weird and all feels so different. Just imagine it as a fan tribute.

Although my least favourite episodes are pretty much all in s6, it does have Friday Night's Alright For Fighting which is one of the best.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I actually really like the first half of season 6. As difficult as it is to watch the whole Lorelai/Rory rift, they told some good stories using the device, and it was the first appearance of the full reformed and totally adorable Jess Mariano. Everything goes downhill after April shows up (I have no problem with April herself, but that she's a lazy, lazy plot device set up to create walls between Lorelai and Luke when there's already plenty to be mined in their relationship with their insecurities) and the rest of the season is one nasty whirlwind of people not talking their problems out and not dealing with important poo poo with their loved ones.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 30, 2016

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Well we finished up everything yesterday and overall I don't think I would have watched the show after a couple episodes if my wife wasn't binging through it as fast as she was, the interesting part to me has been how awful some of the plot points and the characters are and how jarring that is against how it's all presented to the viewer.

Some thoughts:
- I was really hoping the beginning of season 7 was just Luke punching everyone in the face for 40 minutes, but at least Christopher felt the rage.
- Speaking of Christopher, the blatant steps they took to make him the anti-Luke was hilariously bad: having a kid and wanting Lorelai to help, the bit about open communication, suddenly being rich
- Christopher's kid situation is still the most insane thing on the show
- Logan was kind of an rear end in a top hat, but was the best BF Rory ever had
- Jess became a solid person as soon as he escaped the Gilmore women, but man he sucked at the beginning
- Dean was great until the writers decided he had to be really dumb and horrible so they could move on to Jess
- The show in general is loving awful at dismissing love interests
- The whole Paul thing in the revival was played as a light hearted joke but it was one of the worst things Rory has done.
- Rory being the worst whenever everything isn't literally handed to her was kind of funny in the original since she was so young, but in the revival it really felt like her character hasn't grown at all in 10 years and felt really off
- WHY THE HELL DOES NO ONE TALK TO ANYONE IN THIS SHOW? So many problems could be solved if characters simply involved other people in their decision making process. I mean I know that's true pretty on much any show/life but good lord it's so horrible in this show.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Christopher is probably one of the worst written characters in the show, which is a shame cause the actor who plays him does a pretty decent job. He has 0 consistency over his actions, and seems to have no actual drive beyond doing what the women in his life tell him to do.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ouhei posted:

- WHY THE HELL DOES NO ONE TALK TO ANYONE IN THIS SHOW?

Pfft, not everyone can afford 3 cellphones to actually get service in Stars Hollow...

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Keep in mind that the Exec. over Season 7 was a nutso guy who wrote a play about how much he wanted to gently caress Heidi Klum. Not a surprise that was bad.

I think in the alternate AS-P universe, Season 7 wouldn't have been as bad, and Season 8 would've been a neat return to form where Rory is out of Yale, moves back to Stars Hollow, and gets with Jess (they said this would've happened somewhere I think).

I liked Rory up until she really started to feel the influence from Logan in S6 and 7. She just turns so _awful_.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Ouhei posted:

- The whole Paul thing in the revival was played as a light hearted joke but it was one of the worst things Rory has done.

I felt like this, too. Why the hell was it not a big deal, to anyone, at all? Lorelai understandably HATED Rory sleeping with married Dean, but cheating on someone/with someone cheating on someone isn't a big deal at all??? I LIKED the revival but that actually kinda pissed me off.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Netflix twitter account has been posting about who could be the baby's father so we are probably getting another season.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

The Netflix twitter account has been posting about who could be the baby's father so we are probably getting another season.

Timing wise, how is it anyone other than Logan? Wookie guy was like ~4 months back so she'd be showing/known a lot sooner and she's been drinking quite a bit since then.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They weren't exclusive. I'm sure Rorie gave it up for Paul a few times. Also Rorie is terrible so of course she drinks. Does she even need to work? Grandpa probably left her a $10 million trust fund.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

She probably went back to the wookie well. Once you get a taste of that, you can't go back.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
That poor Wookie. She probably made some snide comment about his boltcaster, ate $400 in room service, and hosed off while he was in the bathroom.

Finished Bunheads. The last six or seven episodes really meander and then it's just... over? Like they started burning through their next season's worth of plots to fill an extended episode order that didn't pay off anyway.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

hope and vaseline posted:

Christopher is probably one of the worst written characters in the show, which is a shame cause the actor who plays him does a pretty decent job. He has 0 consistency over his actions, and seems to have no actual drive beyond doing what the women in his life tell him to do.

He's so awful. Despite Lorelei being amazingly strong at 16 and letting him go and live his life, he still manages to be a total gently caress up. They obviously turned Sherry into a total monster who abandons her own child just to make him look better by comparison, even though it made no sense for the character.

I really hope they aren't planning more GG. The revival was nice, but the last two seasons were a mess. Do we really need to see Jess pining over pregnant Rory? Or Logan dumping his fiancee because he knocked up an ex? And where the hell could they even go with Luke and Lorelei now?

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
I feel like I've had this conversation too many times with people: Rory having a child with Jess would be keeping family too close. That would make Lorelai the Aunt (by marriage) and Grandmother, Luke would be the non-blood Grandfather and Great Uncle, then if Lorelai a baby with Luke that entire situation would even more confusing: Rory the half sibling and Jess the cousin (and half brother-in-law?? ) and the two babies would be... I don't even know, my brain is starting to hurt. It's been a while since I watched, am I am not sure if the baby thing between Luke and Lorelai was squashed for good. I can't see the writing going in the double baby direction (or at least I hope not). That would make a pretty intense conflict though, Lorelai does want to do the surrogate but realizes the baby drama it would create if Rory and Jess did get together....

I think it has to be Logan's because it creates the most realistic conflict. Telling Logan makes the baby a Huntzberger and drags her back into that family's drama. Which apart from Logan, she clearly doesn't want and shows it during the surprise Mitchum visit. Logan is going to marry Odette even though he doesn't want to -- She asked him if he was really going to marry her, and his response was "That's the dynastic plan", implying that it is not of his choosing and the whole thing is set up. Going to her father and asking how he felt about being left out also makes more sense if it's Logan's. Why would she care if Paul knew or not? She can't even remember the guy, she probably doesn't even remember if she recently slept with him. If he even slept in her bed, how freaking rude do you have to be to tap dance in the kitchen next to someone sleeping. It would be weird for her to regard his feelings in any way after her past displays. Either way, she said her final goodbyes to Logan, so she could keep it to herself and not tell him and never see him again.

I feel like I'm the only one surprised Rory never grew up. Growing up she worked hard in some aspects, but in others she did have things handed to her. Adult Rory walked into that interview with the crazy woman expecting the job to be handed over. The other she was asked what she's working on and her response "Well, I'm here. Hello!". She's doing nothing with all the time she has? She had a Headmaster from her prestigious high school school tell her to get her Masters and he's got a job waiting for her, and she shrugged it off. She whines she's broke when there's no way she burned through all that money from her trust fund. She is not interested in working for income, only working to be a known writer.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Is it even in question that the baby could be Jess's? There's like, nothing between Rory and Jess besides an easy camaraderie in the revival, until the longing look moment. It's Logan's if we subscribe to ASP's full circle theory, there's no other possibility.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
I've talked to a lot of people who are diehard Jess fans and don't want any more episodes unless it's his. I just thought it was funny none of them sat down and thought about the family tree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
They could easily write it to be Jess', we don't have to see literally everything that happens. We didn't see her sleep with the wookie but we know she did. Having said that I'm pretty sure it would be Logan's if they do write more. It would very much parallel Lorelai's pregnancy - a kid fathered by a rich, privileged guy who loves her but can never really be what she wants/needs due to his family and his commitments etc.

Who gives a gently caress about the family tree though, btw.

• Locked thread