Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I think comparing FFX with FFXIII based solely on "they're linear and I don't like the characters in either" is insanely reductive. FFX has an actual coherent narrative that, while occasionally a bit tonally weird, hits home more often than not emotionally, and brings its themes from start to finish, with some clever world-building and twists thrown in.

Final Fantasy XIII requires reading the optional datalogs to understand the plot. Like, it actually does not make sense if you play it as normal. Characters and concepts come out of nowhere. The cosmology of the world, which is incredibly important to understanding what's actually happening, is not explained or even alluded to until you're supposed to already know it. If you went through the series and thought "wait, who's Etro? why are they talking about this goddess Etro like I'm supposed to know her?" you know what I'm talking about. Beyond all other problems with it, which have been exhaustively discussed, it fundamentally does not function as a narrative unless you give it a massive amount of benefit of the doubt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Plan Z posted:

Now let's take a look at an image I found when I typed "FF15 characters":

This isn't what these characters look like anymore, and they haven't looked like this for several years. Prompto (blondie in the back) in particular is completely different. Did you word it like that as a coincidence, or were you being intentionally misleading?

Also, Matsuno is working on another game. It's on Kickstarter. It's...it looks really bad. :(

• Locked thread