Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

chumbler posted:

Lightning Returns, friend.

Is it this poo poo? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zh9XDf8iSA

Because jesus christ. I've been trying to get back into RPGs for awhile now, and its the above (and a huge time-sink due to grinding) that has stopped me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

So what's good JPRG-wise then?

I'm old as gently caress and only have a PS3.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

guts and bolts posted:

Here are some jRPGs you should play, because they're really good:

Final Fantasy XII
Valkyrie Profile
Front Mission 3
Skies of Arcadia
The Legend of Dragoon
Star Ocean 2
Persona 3
Arc the Lad (there's a Working Designs collection that exists somewhere out there I think???)

It's a good smorgasboard of offerings with different play styles, different plot styles, and different mechanics. If you haven't played these games you really should.

LOVED Dragoon as a kid, finished it off then. Tried FF XII somewhat recently, liked it, never finished it. Same with Persona 3. I'll take a look at the rest, but I'm currently waiting for my copy of Valkyrie Chronicles to show up. Is that connected to Profile?

precision posted:

Tales of Xillia is really drat good. Also the Yakuza games.

I'll look into it, thanks.

DeathSandwich posted:

See above, add Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne to the list. It's basically Mad Max Demonic Pokemon and it's pretty great.

Devil May Cry is in this one? Just saw the trailer.

I'm really interested in diving into a game, but I worry that I might not have the attention span I used to as a kid, ironically enough, to finish off these long games. Still trying to finish my copy of Ni Nu Kuni I've been playing for ages.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The exploration is good if you care about that sort of thing(except when monsters pop into your range because of the poo poo draw distance). Combat is ok. The music and story are really bad.

What do people think has the best combat of the JPRGs of the PS2/PS3 era? I probably should not even participate because my ideal combat would be a combination of Legend of Zelda and Legend of Dragoon or something, and one of them isn't even a JPRG.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Barudak posted:

Shenmue.

Haha OMG loving nostalgia hitting me like PCP.

I bought the XBOX because of that game.

• Locked thread