Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Coco Rodreguiz posted:

Final fantasy was always anime. It just wasn't obvious until the graphics reached a point that it became more apparent.

Also Chrono Trigger that you love? 100% anime.

The problem with statements like this is that they assume anime is static and unchanging. It isn't. The Japanese markets tastes changed and evolved and Final Fantasy hewed to that market in particular. There was a divergence in tastes for many people.

Ironically FF14 is the only game in recent memory to recapture the feel of the older games, for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Final Fantasy 14 is the last bastion of sane people in the company.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I think the guy who said the problem with modern Final Fantasy is that the creative leads have extremely narrow interests (anime, fashion, videogames) and thus have a hard time saying anything authentic about actual human beings was on the money :shrug:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

frank.club posted:

I think you just don't like games

Xenogears is not a good game.

Sometimes it turns out the reason we liked a thing is because we were children with no taste or frame of reference. Much like early MMOs!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

fivegears4reverse posted:

A big part of why none of this stuff gelled together is that the last act feels rushed as gently caress, incomplete, and kept introducing things for us to be concerned with well past the supposed point of no return was reached hours before.

In a world where game designers have unlimited time to dedicate to every project, and gamers themselves are patient and understanding with regards to game development delays and setbacks, the last disc of Xenogears would have gone plot point by plot point, connecting them and resolving them by necessary. I think the LEAD UP to Disc 2 was fine, even as absurd as it was, because it still felt like I was being set up for some sort of amazing if not ridiculous conclusion. The game would also be 300 hours long, maybe.

Instead, well, we got what we got. It's hard to go back to try and play through today (for myself anyway), but I'm glad that we got it. It's very much a product of the time and of Square at its peak.

Seriously. The Playstation 1 and 2 years of Square/Square-Enix will never be seen by any developer, Japanese or otherwise, ever again. They released JRPGs, Action RPGs, Tactical RPGs, Brawlers, Fighting Games, a goddamn SHMUP. Nobody out there quite had what Square had in its heyday, it wasn't all good, but it was definitely earnest.

See, I can't agree with this premise because I don't think it's reasonable to believe that "if only it'd had more time!" is a panacea to every poorly written/plotted game. Sometimes a bad script is just a bad script and the best thing it could have had was an editor telling them less is loving more. Focus.

• Locked thread