Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I think comparing FFX with FFXIII based solely on "they're linear and I don't like the characters in either" is insanely reductive. FFX has an actual coherent narrative that, while occasionally a bit tonally weird, hits home more often than not emotionally, and brings its themes from start to finish, with some clever world-building and twists thrown in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H47ow4_Cmk0

For what it's worth, in the argument between 7-8-9, I'm one of those mutants that likes 9 the best. There's just something compelling about the character specific b-plots that I loved. There was, in my mind's eye a overarching theme of the characters questioning their lives around them and yearning to find their place in the world. It's especially impactful for Vivi, who is basically made a monkey paw wish, he found a society of people like him, but at the same time discovered that he's essentially terminally ill and now he has to learn to cope with that and find purpose in the face of his looming mortality. In the end, he winds up dying offscreen between the final boss and the ending cutscene. Granted not every character has a satisfying arc like that (looking at you, quina) but I remember the Steiner, Freya, and Garnet character arcs being pretty good as well.

7 in my minds eye was fine, it wasn't the best but it wasn't the worst. It made a lot more sense to me when I came back and played it again as an adult and realized the Jenovah was basically a Lovecraft-styled cosmic horror so I didn't need to keep asking myself why we kept fighting and killing her yet she kept coming back (also the cultists and such when you get to the crater).

8 was probably the most deeply flawed of the bunch, but I also wound up liking it's aesthetic style the most. It's about the closest the series has come to "What if modern day but magic" The magic and leveling systems were total messes in ways that you could just break over your knee pretty much at any point after the tutorial ends and certain elements of the plot were nonsense and required huge leaps in logic, but man, that game had style (comparatively speaking, of course).

I bounced off of 10 pretty quickly because I couldn't stand the voice acting and Titus. 12 I bounced off of because I specifically couldn't stand Vaan and turned the game off at the "I'M CAPTAIN BOSCH" section. 13 I played to completion but I can be hosed if I remember anything about it other than really liking Sazh's character arc and specifically his 'You think you just die?" speech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Shageletic posted:

So what's good JPRG-wise then?

I'm old as gently caress and only have a PS3.

See above, add Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne to the list. It's basically Mad Max Demonic Pokemon and it's pretty great.

• Locked thread