Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Final Fantasy is still good is what happened op.

Though Prompto fans need to get some fuckin taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I liked what I played of X-2, but when I found out I had missed some stuff like dresspheres permanently I lost the desire to keep going, and restarting would be a chore. Yuna is alright.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

MoaM posted:

I think the narrative of "Tetsuya Nomura and Kazushige Nojima ruined the series" has merit, but it should be merged with: "Square-Eenix has had unrealistic sales expectations for their games since 2000". Plus, turn-based RPGs can only be innovated so many times; none of the games beyond FFX have been able to really outmatch its sphere grid and fast-paced battles.

Lightning Returns, friend.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sazh is the best character in all of Final Fantasy because he is just a normal, decent guy with problems and also a bird that lives in his hair.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Lightning Returns is easily the best of the three, but honestly I think 13-1 is better than 13-2.

Though 13-2 has the best ending in all of video games.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

How is Sazh an unlikable character?

Also it feels like the side quest writers for Lightning Returns were totally different from the main quest writer (and they probably were). The side quests actually often deal with the whole theme of the last days before the end of the world and everyone being undying, and they are often interesting, while the main quest is just lunacy.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Hokuto posted:

The guy literally complained that you can't see enemy HP totals when you get Libra right from the start of the game. He didn't know it existed, from what I could gather. I'm no ardent defender of FF13, but come on.

More to the point, HP totals are even kind of irrelevant because like 90+% of the time their health bar is just the stagger meter.

Edit: To be clear, I don't actually have a problem with this, and liked 13.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Nov 17, 2016

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The exploration is good if you care about that sort of thing(except when monsters pop into your range because of the poo poo draw distance). Combat is ok. The music and story are really bad.

The story comment is understandable, but I can't forgive calling Xenoblade X's music bad.

At any rate, I very much enjoyed Xenoblade X and most of what it was doing, but if you are a really main story focused person who likes your jrpgs to be as jrpg-y as possible, it's not going to be the game for you.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I think you meant "Point" there, friend.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

piL posted:

Not really for this thread but it spawned this idea,

Change it from boy band to late 60s pop band, let me solve mysteries while managing internal band drama and external concerns like practices schedules and gigs, and let's go ahead and allow for chargen and costume customization. I would buy it.

Instead, I'm probably going to buy Final Fantasy XV for swords and magic in a modern aesthetic and then remember I'm playing a JRPG and not get more than five hours in.

But what if they start kissing each other?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

You know I actually believed this until recently and then I played it again and the battle system is muuuuch worse than I remembered.

I just remembered the fun endgame combos and not the fact that 90% of the jobs had the same abilities, the chain system was sorta broken, and "you can go anywheeeere" combined with permanent missables just meaning that you're gonna have to revisit every single location in the world 5 times throughout the game to see everything

FF13's combat is really a distillation of what made FFX-2 combat work, and people hated it because of the automation but that speed of combat only works with automation.

I should play FF13-2, I already have it on Steam but every time I boot it up I very quickly decide to stop playing

Play the opening bit of 13-2 that has Lightning, watch a video of the boss fight where the correct solution is "Yell at Hope through time and space", play some chronobind, and watch the amazing ending on youtube. Do this with crazy chocobo on loop and you're really only missing out on some quality Liam O'Brien scenery chewing and moogle throwing.

Then go straight to Lightning Returns because it's easily the best game of the three.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The plot of Lightning Returns is that the gods are morons and/or dicks and the world is ending and nothing can stop it so help tie up their loose ends and get on the reincarnation boat.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Mr. Fortitude posted:

After sleeping on it, the core themes and message behind the XIII trilogy seem to be "Lightning is awesome, praise Lightning, the waifu of Motomu Toriyama!" and "Moms are tough!".

You forgot "Sazh is too old for this poo poo."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I don't appreciate brainy Rikku taking a massive drop in IQ and being a ditzy bimbo who laughs while her semi-retarded brother propositions his cousin. All of FFX's characters kind of go to poo poo in FFX-2.

The only character who doesn't suffer is Yuna, whom it is interesting to see in a new capacity, but good lord, a pop singing gunslinger isn't exactly how I envisioned Grand Summoner Yuna to go.

Yuna just flat out telling someone their plan is stupid was good. Also Paine is alright.

I also like that they actually made the generic job dresspheres have individualized alterations to their designs, from specific things like the swords the warrior class uses to the general image given off matching the character's personality.

• Locked thread