Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Part of the problem is that Final Fantasy feels the need to reinvent the wheel with every game to the point it is hard to say what Final Fantasy actually is to people. Outside of stuff like moogles, chocobos and Cid and recently Gilgamesh there is very little in common between each game. So what appeals to you in one game is gone he next, never to return.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I don't get it. Why is Don Corneo being depicted as a sleazeball pimp borderline rapist and an overall awful person an attack against feminism? People like him exist in real life, sadly, and unlike Tifa and Aeris who can and do defend themselves without Cloud, are defenceless. Just because a game shows something bad doesn't mean it advocates it.

I'm with you on the Honey Bee Inn section though. That is outdated and can be seen as offensive today.

On another note, FF VII has implied sex too. One which is way less loving weird than FF VI's pseudo bestiality which was awkward as hell even when I first played it.

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Nov 16, 2016

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

I mean, FF VII has pseudo bestiality (or at least the intent for it) as well.

I've said for a long time that the reason SE kept avoiding remaking FF VII is because they didn't want people to replay it and see how bad it actually was.

Yeah but everyone but Hojo reacts in disgust and thinks the whole thing is hosed up. It isn't seen as a wonderful thing like in FF VI, especially when Maduin knew her for all of two days or something.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Nanomashoes posted:

Actually, you say the game is for 13 year olds, but when I was 13 I would have said the game looked gay. Who the hell is FF15 for? Who wants to play a boyband road trip game that is also an in depth RPG where you fight a boss for 72 real time hours? The game just doesn't mesh, stylistically or conceptually. I have no idea who the audience for it is, and I don't think Square does either, because I think it was designed piecemeal and every little individual part was signed off on but not the product as a whole.

Stop listening to Conan, a man who doesn't even like RPGs and shittalks WRPGs equally. Besides which, the 72 hours was a mistake, they meant 72 in-game hours and FF XV's ingame clock doesn't operate on a 1:1 scale with real life.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Spirits Within is what led to the shakeup of Square. The Enix owned franchises like Dragon Quest are consistently great.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

A modern Vagrant Story game would probably resemble a more stat heavy Dark Souls nowadays. The atmosphere of exploring Lea Monde felt like a From Software game.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Xenogears wasn't a great game but I'm glad I got to experience it because of how batshit it is. It's certainly... something.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Radish posted:

Xenogears was ballsy enough to remove a character from your party randomly (like literally randomly based on how certain parts of that world worked) 3/4 through the game which sucked since she was one I used up to that point.

To be fair, Emeralda is basically meant to be a replacement for her in gameplay but way better.

Captain Oblivious posted:

See, I can't agree with this premise because I don't think it's reasonable to believe that "if only it'd had more time!" is a panacea to every poorly written/plotted game. Sometimes a bad script is just a bad script and the best thing it could have had was an editor telling them less is loving more. Focus.

I don't normally disagree but to be fair to Xenogears, it did get it's funding slashed in half and diverted to Final Fantasy VIII instead. A game I actually dislike more than Xenogears though obviously everyone has Final Fantasies they like and dislike. Xenosaga is absolutely an example of needing an editor to tell the development team that less is more though.

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Nov 22, 2016

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I've actually been thinking about what happened to Final Fantasy and I think I've come to the conclusion that the newer games in the series lack "heart". The older games felt as if someone involved in the development really had a story to tell which resonated with them, even if the execution was a bit off frequently. From Final Fantasy 1 being quite literally, the Final Fantasy of Hironobu Sakaguchi to make Squaresoft successful instead of going bankrupt, to Final Fantasy 4's simple tale of redemption for both Cecil and Golbez, to Final Fantasy 6's tale of hope even in the face of great disaster to Final Fantasy 7 being a story primarily about identity and coming to terms with your own life with sub themes of each of the main cast having experienced loss at one point in their lives. Final Fantasy 8 is a game I'm not overly keen on but even that had heart by telling a story about love and hatred. Squall becomes a better person because of love of Rinoa whilst Ultimecia fails because she is a product of hatred, having spent her whole life persecuted against by others out of fear. Final Fantasy 9 tells a story about mortality and coming to grips with it and the time you have left in the world. 10 tells a similar story but with a more Japanese outlook by pointing out that sometimes adherence to your duty is blinding and sometimes old dogmas should be left beind. 12 tells a story about breaking free from the chains of fate and not being blinded by revenge and hatred, sure the story itself isn't told very well because of Matsuno leaving but the themes are still there.

Final Fantasy 13 on the other hand, I have absolutely no loving clue what the core themes of that game are. I think it's supposed to be a rehash of 12, except they escape their fate by... being compliant to fate, defiance of the Gods made the Gods plan come to fruition, what a wonderful victory. 13-2 tells even less of a coherent narrative and is all over the place and I can't really think of any core messages that Lightning Returns wants to tell.

So I guess that a lack of coherent vision and lack of a story that resonates with someone who worked on the games are the problems with the newer Final Fantasy games. Sometimes the games just need to be lighthearted fun, like Final Fantasy 5 or World of Final Fantasy and that's perfectly fine. But the more serious games tend to be all over the place both in gameplay and narratively.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

After sleeping on it, the core themes and message behind the XIII trilogy seem to be "Lightning is awesome, praise Lightning, the waifu of Motomu Toriyama!" and "Moms are tough!".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Mystic Quest is the best Final Fantasy game. If I wasn't so busy doing other things, I'd write up a Zizekian style thesis on why.

• Locked thread