Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I was a grown rear end adult (I mean, legally anyway) when I played FF7, at the time my favorite game of all time was a tie between FF4 and FF6, and I literally stayed up all night playing until I got out of Midgar after my friend, who had rented the game from Blockbuster, went to bed.

The nostalgia argument has never really done it for me. I'm really not sure it holds water in any case ever. When I was 14 I thought that Wizardry 5 and Sqoon were of equal quality level, yet for some mysterious reason I have never been like "Oh man, I gotta replay Sqoon, that game is my jam!"

I think the only way the nostalgia argument works is when you're working from a place of ignorance. If the only punk bands you've ever heard are Green Day and the Sex Pistols, then obviously those are gonna be your idea of "the best punk bands". So if, while growing up, you only ever played bad games, then sure, you'll think those bad games are good, but that's not causally related to your nostalgia at all, it's related to your ignorance.

Most of us probably grew up playing a broad spectrum of games from "poo poo" to "shine" though so I'd say if someone says they love FF7 it's probably true that they actually like it and not that they secretly hate it but nostalgia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Actually, FF13 is extremely enjoyable, though it's definitely true that 13-2 and especially LR are way better.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Nanomashoes posted:

There's nothing more I can say about FF13 that wasn't said in Tim Rogers' 18,000 word review of it which is good and insightful if you take the time to read it:
https://web.archive.org/web/20160530085502/http://www.actionbutton.net/?p=630

I don't know who this Tim Rogers is but holy poo poo that is some intensely insufferable writing. I made it all of two pages.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Heaven Spacey posted:

No one in FFX even approaches being as obnoxious as Hope, so there's one thing

Hope is the best character in FF13 that isn't named Sazh. His arc is fantastic, he starts off as The Whiniest Little poo poo Ever but is one of the only JRPG Whiny Little Shits to actually change and grow throughout the game. By the end of it, I really liked him.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Shageletic posted:

So what's good JPRG-wise then?

I'm old as gently caress and only have a PS3.

Tales of Xillia is really drat good. Also the Yakuza games.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Lunar 1 and 2 are fine but are, like FF4, really bog standard when it comes to things like "customization" or "options" or "good side content". I'd only play them after you've played every Dragon Quest game from 3 onward.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Is Xenoblade X really that bad? Or just "not as good"?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The combat feeling kinda like a Tales Of game is the #1 reason I'm looking forward to FF15.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

exquisite tea posted:

I understand that Final Fantasy fans are by definition heavily reverential of the mid-late 90s era of JRPGs and will always say FF6 was their favorite, or FF7 or FFT, maybe 4 if they want to be a real contrarian hero. But search your heart, and you will realize that FFX-2 is the best of the series in every single aspect. I know most of you are too embarrassed to admit it, but I know it's true.

Lightning Returns is actually the best FF game. 14 is a close second. 15 looks like it'll be great though, especially if it has boys kissing boys.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
There's a universe where George Lucas hired Square to do the effects in the prequels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've tried many times to replay FFT because the story is good but holy goddamn it's really cheap and so many fights are so unnecessarily long. FFTA and especially FFTA2 are way better as games.

• Locked thread