Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hey everyone the holidays are coming and you know what that means: because you're the "one who cooks" in your family you're probably going to be expected to cook some poo poo this Thanksgiving or Christmas or New Years. Let's share some game plans and if you're having problems go ahead and ask and I'm sure the rest of us can help out.

My mom is old and tired and since she had three kids, she sluffs off the holiday dinner chores onto us now. My sister handles Thanksgiving and buys a take-out smoked turkey from Lucille's with 10 sides for $170 or so and it feeds a dozen people (a pretty good option if you can't cook for whatever reason). My brother handles New Year and takes us out to restaurants. Me, I'm the cook so I cook Christmas dinner. But on top of that I'm a bleeding heart softie so for the last few years I've started offering a Black Friday Thanksgiving dinner for friends who didn't have family or couldn't be with their families. Last year we were up to 24 people which is the max I think my house can hold.

I've done the Kenji Special (sous vide, then deep-fried turchetta) two years in a row and it's always been great and easy to portion out. But I'm wondering if I should stick with it or try a spatchcock this year.

Stuffing waffles always a hit:

Ratatouille

Sweet potatoes, spicy cranberry relish, Kenji's hasselback potato gratin

Chai at the end of the night

Anyways, share your plans for holiday dinners this year and fire away with any questions/problems you got

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Nov 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

For thanksgiving I am smoking another turkey like I do every year. I decided to make a pumpkin cheesecake and for the crust I'm using crushed ginger snaps instead of gram cracker crumbs.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
New girlfriend, not letting her family in on my ability to read poo poo on the internet and translate it into cooking really good food. Am instead going to provide home made boozy eggnog

Stuffing waffles is an amazing idea holy poo poo

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Ranter posted:

Stuffing waffles is an amazing idea holy poo poo

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/11/stuffing-waffles-recipe.html

Although it's a nested recipe: you have to click on his link to sage stuffing recipe first and make that, THEN follow his stuffing waffle recipe

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

I've done the Kenji Special (sous vide, then deep-fried turchetta) two years in a row and it's always been great and easy to portion out. But I'm wondering if I should stick with it or try a spatchcock this year.

Anyways, share your plans for holiday dinners this year and fire away with any questions/problems you got

What temp do find works best for the tuchetta?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

atothesquiz posted:

What temp do find works best for the tuchetta?

Make this, except skip step 8:
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/11/turkey-porchetta-food-lab-recipe.html

and instead follow these directions, which include cooking to 140°F:
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/11/sous-vide-deep-fried-turkey-porchetta-recipe.html

I haven't tried other temps but his original recipe calls for cooking until 145°F, the sousvide+frying version says to go to 140°F probably to give a buffer against the frying step.

WORD OF CAUTION: if your turkey breast is even slightly larger than the size prescribed in the recipe, I strongly recommend cutting the roll in half and cooking it as two pieces. I tried cooking a large one the first time and it was too much for my frying setup to fry quickly. The oil temp dropped too far, couldn't recover, the turkey spent too much time frying and ended up getting slightly overcooked throughout before it got a satisfyingly browned crust.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
Curious, what'd you do with the rest of the bird? (Wings/Thighs/Legs)?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
You just buy turkey breast by itself, make sure it's a "full" or "complete" turkey breast, meaning that it has its skin. And cheaper turkey breasts will have raggedy skins.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
I am making Thanksgiving dinner this year and still trying to figure out the menu.

So far I have this as an appetizer: http://www.onceuponachef.com/2016/10/spicy-pumpkin-leek-soup.html

Family is bringing mashed potatoes and stuffing mostly to cut through the amount of cooking I will be doing (also gram makes the best stuffing). That leaves me making:

Sweet Potato Casserole
Roasted Brussel Sprouts
Corn (lol)

Any other ideas you guys have for sides? Curious what else I can add that is interesting. Also I don't have a big enough roasting pan for the 20lb bird I got. Is it ok just to roast in one of those disposable tin ones? It would be sitting in its juices I guess, although maybe it is possible I can use the roaster rack I have and just put it in that. Last time I made a turkey that big was in college and it came out fine. This time it helps I have a decent sized cooler I can put it in to brine.

Finally, cocktail suggestions?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

CortezFantastic posted:

Also I don't have a big enough roasting pan for the 20lb bird I got. Is it ok just to roast in one of those disposable tin ones? It would be sitting in its juices I guess, although maybe it is possible I can use the roaster rack I have and just put it in that. Last time I made a turkey that big was in college and it came out fine

Yes you can use a disposable aluminum roasting pan, but use a rack so that hot air can circulate underneath and so the bird doesn't get soggy. And don't think about putting the disposable on the stove afterward to make a sauce/gravy, you'll have to move the juices to a skillet or something because the stove will probably melt a hole through the disposable aluminum pan.

You can also use an $8 restaurant baking half-sheet (bare aluminum, no non-stick versions), as long as you are extra careful about not spilling any juices when you pull it out of the oven. Don't put it on the stove either.

If you're in the market, you can get a roasting pan at HomeGoods/TJMaxx/Ross for probably $50 or so. Make sure it's bare metal and not non-stick.

CortezFantastic posted:

Mulled wine is low effort, low maintenance and fitting to holiday themes, especially if it's cold in your area.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 16, 2016

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

CortezFantastic posted:

Nog (see above) or Negronis because nobody drinks Negronis even though they're bitterly delicious so you get to drink all the Negronis yourself and get shitfaced.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
If you make negronis, please make sure you use carpano antica as the vermouth. It's pricier but it definitely tastes way better when mixed and negronis taste like poo poo without carpano because let's face it, campari tastes like poo poo

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

A crock of hot buttered rum would also be an easy and seasonal drink. I'm pretty fond of Glasgow punch come Thanksgiving, though. The acidity cuts through the decadence of the meal rather well.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Steve Yun posted:

If you make negronis, please make sure you use carpano antica as the vermouth. It's pricier but it definitely tastes way better when mixed and negronis taste like poo poo without carpano because let's face it, campari tastes like poo poo

First page and I already hate you.

Haven't planned for thanksgiving yet since dunno if I'll be free that Friday to travel. Otherwise it'll be last minute friendsgiving. Since my apartment only seats like 4, I'll roast a chicken or something and then make pecan pie.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k111xowLzIQ

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Thinking about giving a big middle finger to a centerpiece and doing a beef bourguignon. Along with stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, a nut roast, greens, and a charred cauliflower salad thing with mint, dill, dates, and pistachios dressed in tahini because why the hell not?

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Last thanksgiving I made a tasting menu for the first time and decided to do another one this year (because I hate myself I guess?).

I'm doing fewer courses this year at least:

- Roasted pear salad with pomegranate, endive, blue cheese, and hazelnuts

- Duck confit tortellini with butternut squash veloute and soy jelly

- Carbonated cranberries

- Sous vide turkey breast with roasted cauliflower puree, home jus gras, wine-steeped golden raisins, and roasted brussels sprouts.

- Pumpkin creme brulee

And some stuff to have on the table (biscuits, cheeses, red pepper jam, smokey candied pecans)

Also alcohol which someone else is taking care of.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Ranter posted:

New girlfriend, not letting her family in on my ability to read poo poo on the internet and translate it into cooking really good food. Am instead going to provide home made boozy eggnog

Welp due to new girlfriend's family drama, Thanksgiving is now at my house with her parents and I'm cooking.........

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Started defrosting my turkey today.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Thankfully this year I don't have to work, so I'll actually get to have a nice Thanksgiving dinner! Last year I just made a shepherd's pie and had it while working my shift on my experiment.

I think I'm going to make some tamales, which seems to be a tradition in the southwest. Going to fill them with queso fresco, beans, and a little bit of mushroom. Alternatively I may just turn the mushrooms into gravy. I'm tempted to use the broth from the beans for some of the liquid in the tamale instead of stock.

Now I just need to get a tamale steamer!

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Learned to spatchcock a chicken from our Lord and Savior, Kenji, so I'm gonna follow his instructions on spatchcocking a turkey and do it up nice. Planning on full butter and a shitton of garlic mashed potatoes. My girlfriend is doing a sweet potato casserole, and same as every year, I will cook Gloop in honor of my dear departed grandmother. Here's the recipe as transcribed by mother. You may keep your judgment to yourselves, Grandma Stoltz was a goddamn saint and I love this dish.

"Mushrooms with Sour Cream (or as I call it: The Worst Looking Dish You'll Ever Love)

1 lg onion, minced & sauteed in 2 tablespoons butter

Add 1 lb. fresh sliced mushrooms.  Saute.

Blend 1 tbsp flour, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper.  Add to mushrooms.  Remove from heat.  

Add 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream & 1/2 cup sour cream.  Turn into buttered casserole and top with 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese.  Drizzle 2 tbsp melted butter over top.

Bake @ 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes until thoroughly heated."

It looks like dog diarrhea and tastes like love.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Steve Yun posted:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/11/stuffing-waffles-recipe.html

Although it's a nested recipe: you have to click on his link to sage stuffing recipe first and make that, THEN follow his stuffing waffle recipe

Mother of god... This is loving brilliant!

So, in my family, my mom and I are the cooks. We also god drat hate turkey and think it is the most boring, bland, terrible meat possible and we hate cooking it.

This year, finally, finally, after much struggle, I've convinced my mom to revolt with me against the rest of the family, seize the means of production and make something that makes us happy and if people want a god drat turkey they can cook it.

I'm making fresh bao with shiitake mushroom filling from scratch and we're doing a spicy sichuan hot pot, and my sisters can eat a dick.

No stress. No three days of making everyone's special god drat snow flake requests. We get food we like and can spend the day actually drinking wine and chilling with everyone else instead of being trapped in the kitchen hating.

For Christmas we're gonna order Indian food.

:feelsgood:

(Sorry if that seemed super angry, I was just so happy to vent. I've been trapped cooking food I hate by my family for 15 years and this feels so good.)

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Xiahou Dun posted:

For Christmas we're gonna order Indian food.

:feelsgood:

We've done that for the past two Christmases and it was the best thing we've ever loving done. :discourse:

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I enjoy making Turkey and trimmings. *shrug*

I'll make the Turkey and stuffing (I do cooks illustrated Bread Stuffing with Fresh Herbs) and gravy and my wife will do pie and mashed potatoes and homemade cranberry relish and some sort of veg.

For Christmas this year I'm doing Standing Rib Roast. Well, I do standing rib roast every year but this year it's for a lot more people, thinking of going all out and special ordering some USDA Prime.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I've got the Christmas plan finalized:

- Two or three tourtiere, made after Thanksgiving and frozen

- Half and half mashed potatoes and rutabega

- Salad (greens, dried cranberry, feta, crumbled walnuts, balsamic vinaigrette)

- Gravy

- Heinz beans clone

- Buttermilk pie

- Mulled wine

- Rolls with cultured butter

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I need to make a side for Thanksgiving and I don't know what yet. I'm in the Midwest so my family is all about traditional and bland. I may not have much or any time to cook; we're doing dinner at 5pm instead of lunch but I am going to my girlfriend's family for lunch.

Any recommendations for something simple or traditional, maybe with a twist that doesn't take three hours of baking?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Butch Cassidy posted:

- Heinz beans clone

Can you elaborate?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Ranter posted:

Can you elaborate?

http://www.thetiffinbox.ca/2010/05/english-baked-beans-heinz-style.html

But I skip the bicarbonate and pressure cook the beans. I also pressure cook with the sauce for a few minutes rather than tie up the stove.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
On a scale of 1 to 5, how much better are these compared to just using the real thing in a can + the effort involved?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Re: Stuffing wafffles

There is no reason you have to follow Kenji's recipe. It's stuffing, in a waffle maker. If you have a stuffing recipe you like, make it a little wetter than normal then waffle it. Waffle the crap out of it.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Ranter posted:

On a scale of 1 to 5, how much better are these compared to just using the real thing in a can + the effort involved?

Different? The clove is more prominent if you blend it into the sauce and there is generally more flavor, especially the next day. The sauce is also thicker and you will wind up watering it down a bit if you want things more accurate.

As for the effort, it makes a bunch of servings so not really a big deal. I dig the guaranteed leftovers to mound on toast the next morning.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I have a dilemma. I am making three things for thanksgiving that use the oven. 3lb Prime rib, I cook it at 200 until it's done to minimize the dreaded grey ring. A 5lb turkey breast (never cooked one, figure it's gonna take a couple of hours) and stuffing 1 hour to totally dry the bread, about 45 minutes after that when I'm ready to cook it. So what's the order of operation? Stuffing then turkey then prime rib?

Menu:
Prime rib
Turkey breast (injection is the best)
Stuffing
Gravy
Whole wheat yeast rolls
Loaded mashed potatoes
Roasted Brussels sprouts
Some dessert TBD

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Are you averse to buying a $150 immersion circulator at all? The turkey breast would probably be balls to the wall amazing and moist if you svizzled it.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Don't have the scratch for one ATM. I totally want one though.

I'm thinking this: Dry out the bread the night before.
Then do the stuffing in the morning, then the turkey. I'll double tent the turkey and let the prime rib go. When that's done I'll turn the oven up to jesus and re-crisp the turkey skin while the prime rib is resting?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I'd probably do the other way and make the Prime Rib first and then let it rest while the turkey cooks and then stick the prime rib under the broiler fat side up for 3-5 minutes at the end to crisp the fat up. A 5lb piece of meat heated up to 155ish will stay pretty hot for a while. I always dry the bread out the night before.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Stuff the turkey with the prime rib.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
And then serve it with a pozole so you can have a Turrible

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I might as well crosspost this from the Cajun and Creole thread.

I'm looking for a good stuffing recipe that I can convert into a Cajun-style sausage stuffing. Basically something with onions and celery that I can add green bell peppers and a mix of andouille and chorizo sausage to, made with either cornbread or French bread. I'd also like to add a little bit of liquor to it for flavor, although probably no more than about 1/4 or 1/2 a cup.

Does anyone have any good stuffing recipes I might be able to use for this? I'd like to put a batch together for a party some friends are having tomorrow, if time allows.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Oh and it's probably too late to save some of you the trouble but brining is ok but not really worth it. Dry brining is better but the most effective method to flavor and moisten any turkey is injection. Brining + injection is the best but yeah, brining is way overrated. Invest in a $10 injection syringe and load that bad boy up with whatever butters and spices you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

I made the cheesecake today, pumpkin with a snicker doodle crust. Figure it will be ok in the fridge until Thursday.

I also drilled a hook into my smoker because I am going to try to hang the turkey up instead of putting it on a rack this year.

• Locked thread