Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

fr0id posted:

What are your recipes for the tourtiere and gravy?

The gravy will just be thrown together with the drained fat from browning the pie filling and maybe some extra from the freezer, flour for roux, whatever stock is in the freezer (maybe make a milk gravy, maybe just add a splash of cream, it is always different), and possibly a dollop of brown sauce.

As for the tourtière, I like mine simple and only slightly personalize this filling recipe. Though I often use a different crust just because:

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/tourtiere-french-meat-pie-recipe

For Christmas, I go for straight ground pork. Always make extra pies to freeze for easy meals during January while I have the grinder out and use the listed half-and-half pork/beef for those. I'm also sometimes tempted to make a single deep dish tourtière in a springform pan rather than a couple standard ones. But The filling/crust ratio is one of the things that make it a comfort food so I never do. Post-Thanksgiving turkey pot pie is where I get my deep dish meat pie on, instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Time to start thinking about Christmas dinner.

In the past, I've done a crown roast (the very first time I asked GWS what to make for Xmas dinner they told me to do this, which was an insane amount of stress for a newbie cook), turchetta, shoulder of lamb, leg of lamb. What other cool roast things are there that I can try?

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
beef wellington?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://woodsidekitchen.wordpress.com/2013/01/09/river-cafes-slow-roasted-shoulder-of-pork/

this is really good and since you start cooking it the night before removes a lot of the stress of christmas dinner. my family have done it for years since nobody is a big fan of turkey. we use a large bone in pork shoulder though

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I'm quite partial to a Bavarian roast. Pork shoulder roasted on a bed of veg and German dark wheat beer. The beer gravy is divine.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Steve Yun posted:

Time to start thinking about Christmas dinner.

In the past, I've done a crown roast (the very first time I asked GWS what to make for Xmas dinner they told me to do this, which was an insane amount of stress for a newbie cook), turchetta, shoulder of lamb, leg of lamb. What other cool roast things are there that I can try?

I know you like to do fancy stuff but the prime rib I do I always a crowd pleaser. You can do it sous vide.

Oh and thanks for recommending Kenji's stuffing. I never made my own from scratch and drat if that wasn't the best part of the meal.

As for me, I'm 3rd gen American so my family ALWAYS does polish for Christmas. Pierogies for Christmas eve and Galumpkis for Christmas day. So far the best pierogies have been loaded mashed potato or mushroom and onion. I don't know if I want to make Galumpkis this year though. I mean tradition is fine and all but it's a bitch to go through 15lbs of cabbage rolls in the next week. So I too may take a suggestion. What do you guys think about pork pies for Christmas?

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 9, 2016

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

So I am cooking Christmas dinner at home for the first time in forever, and I have decided to do something completely different (for my American rear end anyway) and attempt a roast goose and English plum pudding (or whatever pudding you can set on fire with alcohol).

Except I'm American and I've only ever sung Christmas carols about this poo poo so um... help? How does one roast a goose? I've heard horror stories of thick black smoke and grease fires but also that it is tasty as hell and the fam likes duck so.

Pudding I am completely at a loss about. You boil it in cheesecloth or something? There's suet involved? Brandy?

Help me out here thread.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
Goose I know nothing about but I do know how to cook a Christmas pudding thanks to my very British mother-in-law.

Pudding is traditionally boiled or steamed in pudding cloth, which is more like muslin than cheesecloth, but if you are making Christmas pudding in not the Victorian era and therefore are not required to boil all your food, you can use a pudding bowl in a bain-marie instead. My MIL uses a deep glass bowl. Basically the ingredients are breadcrumbs +/- flour, grated suet, eggs, sugar, dried fruits, candied peel, and sometimes nuts, with brandy to moisten. It's served with "hard sauce," which is pretty much just butter, sugar, and your booze of choice. Essentially it's a steamed fruitcake.

There are lots of recipes out there (Nigella has one that I tried one year and liked) but basically the method is this: mix all the ingredients together and press into a bowl. You can pre-soak the dried fruit in brandy overnight if you want. Cover first with parchment paper and then tinfoil to create a tight seal, put in a bain-marie, and simmer on the stove for way, way longer than you think you should have to. Like, four to eight hours, depending on the size of the pudding. You'll have to top up the water. Invert it onto a plate and serve with hard sauce. If you want you can cover it in more brandy and light it on fire when you bring it to the table. I think it's very tasty but I am a big fan of both fruitcake and boiled dumplings so it's right up my alley. You can also make it ahead and steam to reheat on Christmas Day.

If you want to pretend you are in Victorian times you could tie the pudding and boil it instead, but that exceeds my pudding expertise.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Oracle posted:

So I am cooking Christmas dinner at home for the first time in forever, and I have decided to do something completely different (for my American rear end anyway) and attempt a roast goose and English plum pudding (or whatever pudding you can set on fire with alcohol).

Except I'm American and I've only ever sung Christmas carols about this poo poo so um... help? How does one roast a goose? I've heard horror stories of thick black smoke and grease fires but also that it is tasty as hell and the fam likes duck so.

Pudding I am completely at a loss about. You boil it in cheesecloth or something? There's suet involved? Brandy?

Help me out here thread.

I smoked a goose in my MES for thanksgiving and it turned out good but I learned some lessons.

This is actually very accurate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEdvkId1Lss

Goose is kinda expensive; about $5.50 a pound in the DC area iirc. I shifted from a $63 bird to a $51 because I already had a turkey in there and that's getting steep for a lark.
The goose I got was more frozen than any other meat I've bought at a grocery store and it took longer to defrost than other things, even huge pork shoulders. I dunno if it was the particular goose I got but maybe plan for that possibility if it's inherent to geese.
The goose was fattier than I expected even though I expected it to be fatty. Very substantial surface fat so you should plan to capture and use that, for future use even if not for this bird. In my smoker it wasn't feasible because of the turkey taking up the rest of the space, which was a shame.
It already has a strong flavor, so the smoke ended up being the wrong flavor it add. It wasn't bad, but it was a powerful combo. A while back a friend of mine made some teriyaki goose kabobs with a wild goose he hunted and I think this is good guidance. A sweeter plan will compliment the meat flavor the same way it often works well with duck, another all dark meat bird.
As for methods, I'd look at duck again as a guide and probably plan to roast to get at that goose grease.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Is goose all dark like a duck, or does it have white and dark like turkey?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

It's like a duck with a dark breast as well as legs. The legs have a lot of tendons and the meat is slightly gamey in that it's a little tougher than chicken. (At least my one goose was.) Pulling the meat off the legs was work but it wasn't too chewy when actually eating.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Oracle posted:

Help me out here thread.

Just FYI turkey is way more common than goose these days here. Christmas pudding is yum but you're leaving it rather late to be making it from scratch :(

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

feedmegin posted:

Just FYI turkey is way more common than goose these days here. Christmas pudding is yum but you're leaving it rather late to be making it from scratch :(
Nobody sings about turkey on Christmas dammit! :colbert:
Plus I've done turkey to death. Granted they are on sale at the local hippie coop for a really good price but still.

And yeah, Christmas pudding and egg nog and other traditional holiday fare seem to be a 'start preparing in the fall' type deal which just does not mesh well with a modern last minute lifestyle. Some day I'll learn to plan ahead.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
I've definitely made Christmas pudding the week of Christmas and it was extremely edible.

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013
My father and I used to roast a goose for Christmas. I never did more than help, so my knowledge is limited, but if you have any questions I'll try to answer them as best I can.

e: I'm also making a christmas pudding using Jane Grigson's recipe from English Food. Do you want me to send it to you?

Jo Joestar fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Dec 21, 2016

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Spending New Years at the in-laws place and they said they usually just have a ham.

Does anyone have a good ham/spiral ham recipe? I figure it would be a little better than just getting one of those hams with the packets.

Alternatively this sounds really good! Do you have a recipe you could share for this? Especially the beer gravy part.

Ranter posted:

I'm quite partial to a Bavarian roast. Pork shoulder roasted on a bed of veg and German dark wheat beer. The beer gravy is divine.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Disclaimer: this is probably not authentic but it's really drat close. The pork shoulder is roasted at a low temp of around 275 so for a 4lb piece it's taking about 3.5 - 4hours. The main spices/ingredients I'm putting in here are:

Fennel seeds
Cloves (barely any, like 4 cloves it's really strong)
Garlic
Onion
Carrot
Celery
German dark wheat beer (dunkel weiss or dunkelweizen)

So you've scored the top of the roast and showered it in salt. Feel free to make a spice rub with powdered onion and garlic and pepper then apply that to the sides of the pork roast. Chop up the veggies into big chunks. Litter them around the roasting tray but leave a little room in the middle where the pork goes. Chuck in the fennel and cloves. Pour in the beer. Throw it in the oven. It's such a low temp that you probably won't evaporate all the beer but if it's getting too close for comfort just pour in a little water or stock.

Once the meat is done just drain the juice and mix up a roux and create the gravy just like any other roast gravy.

I'm blasting the top of the pork under the broiler to get the crackling and by god is it good.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Dec 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Jo Joestar posted:

My father and I used to roast a goose for Christmas. I never did more than help, so my knowledge is limited, but if you have any questions I'll try to answer them as best I can.

e: I'm also making a christmas pudding using Jane Grigson's recipe from English Food. Do you want me to send it to you?
Hey there, just saw this (a bit late) but thanks for the offer!

I did indeed roast a goose (using Gordon Ramsay's recipe on bbcfood.com for the rub, but with instructions from here, and its a good thing I ignored what they said about cooking temps or else I'd have had a very smoky kitchen). A ten lb goose got us a full loving liter of fat (that's four cups). We roasted the potatoes in it and wow, they were good. Goose fat=duck fat. Its chillin' in my fridge waiting for me to come up with something else to fry in it.
The goose breast itself was like steak, it was so weird. Dark reddish meat very tender, very oddly lean considering all the fat. The legs and thighs were more like turkey dark meat but with a milder flavor, though with a hint of the livery-ness people talk about in a badly cooked goose. 325 is as hot as I'd roast a goose. I also would just, every half hour, take the whole thing out of the oven, remove the goose from the roasting pan and lay it on the rack across the gravy pot where I had the stock simmering, and just pour the oil right from the pan into a 4 cup glass measuring cup. Went a lot faster and less messy than trying to suck it up with a turkey baster. I don't ever think I'd roast potatoes in with the goose for this reason; just SO MUCH FAT to deal with they'd be swimming in it no matter what you did.
Also a ten lb goose will only feed about six people. We had twelve, I had said backup ham (which we are still eating; everyone wanted goose even the kids) and we only had maybe a few ounces of goose left after dinner. Worth it for a special occasion but I don't think I'd just whip one up for Sunday dinner.

I also made a pudding also with a recipe from bbcfood (Granny Martin's Christmas pud). Yeah, its basically a fruitcake. I couldn't find any 'light muscovado sugar' so just used dark brown sugar. Just used a glass bowl for one pudding and a stainless steel mixing bowl for the other, no problem with either one but boy make sure you butter that thing good, this stuff is sticky.

It was pretty good just after a week of sitting or so but would probably be better with longer. Almost chocolatey in flavor which is odd because there's not an ounce of chocolate in it. I dosed it with brandy about once a day. We flubbed the flaming the first time but the second it burned nicely. The recipe made two so I'm just keeping the second around til next Christmas to see what happens. I also found a tip that saved my sanity regarding steaming the drat things: use a crock pot, fill it til about an inch from the top of your pudding container with boiling water, and leave it on low all day, you don't have to babysit it or take up a burner. Reheat same deal.

• Locked thread