Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
After you submit your documents, it takes a while, but call them. I waited since before Thanksgiving when I submitted documents, they were accepted and "determining eligibility". Like a week before Christmas, I called and was super nice with them, although it seems to have been much longer than 10 business days and I'm just curious as to where my offer letter is. The nice lady spoke very quickly, describing all the ins and outs of "business days" and how when you consider holidays and weekends, omg 10 days is like yesterday! She told me she was making sure nothing was afoot and to be patient and it will show up in my inbox. lol and behold, the next day I received my letter. Call em. I dunno, I try not to be rude with people I need something from on the phone, unless warranted. It may all also be a coincidence.

I made my appointment for 1/13/17. It was literally like 15 minutes as other posters have mentioned. I got what I had initially expected, of course wasn't putting any more miles. So the appointment was Friday, despite it being MLK day and them saying 2-3 business days, I received the email from chase, and at some point on Tuesday, I was entering my bank info for transfer. And that took only a day.

Still not seeing my loan paid off on VW credit though lol.

Edit: for reference, I got a check for about $2900 bucks, 2015 gold m/t I bought Memorial Day 2016, and owed about 19k on it. 17,000 miles.

interwhat fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jan 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
I've been totally polite with them on the phone, but most the time they just play super dumb/really have no idea any real details.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Submitted Date 10/15/2016
Offer Received 1/19/2017 (although the letter was dated 12/5/2016)
Dealer Date 2/22/2017

Thank god this thing is almost over.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

I think we had the same exact case worker. My wife just forwarded me the email from VW. WTF!?!

Edit: I just saw the date on my wife's letter: 11/8/16 !!!

This has to be some 4th Quarter earnings tweaking. That's insane.

Kramdar fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 20, 2017

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
there's a third party reviewing all the documents so dont be surprised if you see a delay on the dates on the paperwork

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Finally got my offer letter today. Now I just need to figure out where to print it, have another human sign it, then rescan it send it back over the tubes. I think UPS stores can do that?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

fknlo posted:

Finally got my offer letter today. Now I just need to figure out where to print it, have another human sign it, then rescan it send it back over the tubes. I think UPS stores can do that?

Yes they should.

Just call and make sure their notary is working and you can do everything else there.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

If you have a bank account most banks keep a notary on staff. If you have anything more than the poor college student checking account they'll usually stamp something for free. gently caress, if your bank is a halfway chill credit union they'll stamp it anyways even if you jsut have the bullshit checking account.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

With that said, just tell them if they notarize it that it just means a large sum of cash will be deposited into said bank. I tell them that all the time when I need the notary. Lead with money. Some Chase locations have more than one notary too.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

fknlo posted:

just take pictures with your phone, it'll work fine. like others have said, banks should have a notary working. the wells fargo did mine and I'm not even a client.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

If you work in an office, then it can be worth asking around if anyone is a notary. Every job I've held had at least 1 notary public working in the office somewhere. They've always been more than happy to notarize documents just to be helpful.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
My roommate and I both own 2012 TDI Jettas, and he's getting quoted about $14,000 by the VW website (as opposed to the $18-21k the booklet we received in the mail). His car has fairly high mileage, 140,000 or so. Has anyone else experienced this?

Update: He called VW, the woman on the phone said that what was quoted in the booklet is merely an "estimate." I was under the impression that the figures mailed to us in the booklet are the legally agreed upon minimum and maximum payments?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

TsarZiedonis posted:

My roommate and I both own 2012 TDI Jettas, and he's getting quoted about $14,000 by the VW website (as opposed to the $18-21k the booklet we received in the mail). His car has fairly high mileage, 140,000 or so. Has anyone else experienced this?

Update: He called VW, the woman on the phone said that what was quoted in the booklet is merely an "estimate." I was under the impression that the figures mailed to us in the booklet are the legally agreed upon minimum and maximum payments?

My car was a 2011 TDI Golf with 178,000 miles. I received the following:
$9400 Return Amount
$5100 Restitution
----------
$14,500 Total

I'm going to say that with the mileage you have, the $14K is probably an accurate estimation.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

TsarZiedonis posted:

https://agrahamg.github.io/VWBuybackCalculator/

That calculator will tell you exactly what you'll get back based on miles and options.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Use the calculator. It will tell you exactly what you're getting. It's not an estimate.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Alright, thanks!

The calculator shows that my roomates car is, unhappily, worth only $14k. Mine though is worth more like $19k, so that's nice!

The estimated three month waiting time to turn in your car is pretty uncool, though.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

When you guys uploaded your docs, did you scan all seven pages? Or just the two with signatures?

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Kramdar posted:

When you guys uploaded your docs, did you scan all seven pages? Or just the two with signatures?

You need to do all of them.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

No Pants posted:

You need to do all of them.

Yeah mine got rejected for only uploading the signed ones.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Got my turn in date set up for mid march! I think my GTI will be finished this week so I'll have to turn in my rental. Then I'll have to drive the Golf until I go back out to CO in 2 weeks to pick the GTI up and then I just wait to turn it in. Poor girl :(

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Yeah, we got a mid March appointment as well. I guess Volkswagen needs a whole month off to recoup? My wife did all the final steps on their website, then got to the appointment section. She just about flipped. Now we are having to decide whether or not to buy now and have her TDI sit in the driveway at her parents' house.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I'm just gonna park mine at work. My appt also isn't till mid march but I'm going to get the replacement car in a few weeks.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
So for whatever reason, the part where VW pays VWCredit hasn't happened yet for me. I've been paid my difference, but I decided to also pay my car payment for January and February despite having returned my car 1/13 because I'm trying to keep my credit. Thankfully I work at a dealer so I just about bugged the buyback dude every day since wondering wtf, and even sent a message to vwcredit on their message center. They finally messaged back, saying they realize there's a delay and yadda yadda, we will be refunding you $1095.10 (over two payments, but not quite three???), please allow 15 days of holding once the payoff has been finalized, then 7-10 business days to receive payment. Jesus Christ.

Don't expect anything to be easy.

Edit: this message was received at 4pm today, and coincidentally I talked to the buyback rep about the situation, so he definitely made sure someone is getting his emails, he's been loving awesome. Can't recommend talking to your dealer level contact if you're having issues enough.

interwhat fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Feb 2, 2017

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

My wife is going to have to take the car in by herself for the buyback. Now she isn't helpless, but she is the type to tell me to "make this work". Is it painless enough where I won't get a phone call while I'm at work? I figure she just needs the title besides the power of attorney she had to get. And perhaps she'll need to enter banking info for the EFT too.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
It's ridiculously easy. Just make sure she knows the number you're expecting and that what they offer you matches that. It's really just a signature. You'll get an email from Chase, where you'll create a temporary login to enter your bank account number.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
There's an article up on Jalopnik now about people who've hoarded TDIs from people who either don't know or don't care about the buyback.. then turning them in to VW for the full credit. One guy claims he's holding 10 cars at the moment, another expects to clear $60k doing this.

I thought VW had some pretty specific requirements for ownership history. Are these people blowing smoke, or are they complete idiots in for an incredibly rude awakening?

Edit: did some more reading, there was scheme where the seller and buyer would split the diminished value credit for sales that fell between the story breaking to 45 days after the buyback was made official. But now it's totally fair game. There are a few TDIs in my neighborhood, think I might go take out a loan...

NoWake fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Feb 2, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I wanted to buy a couple engines to sit on, now everyone wants too much for even a wrecked one.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

NoWake posted:

There's an article up on Jalopnik now about people who've hoarded TDIs from people who either don't know or don't care about the buyback.. then turning them in to VW for the full credit. One guy claims he's holding 10 cars at the moment, another expects to clear $60k doing this.

I thought VW had some pretty specific requirements for ownership history. Are these people blowing smoke, or are they complete idiots in for an incredibly rude awakening?

Edit: did some more reading, there was scheme where the seller and buyer would split the diminished value credit for sales that fell between the story breaking to 45 days after the buyback was made official. But now it's totally fair game. There are a few TDIs in my neighborhood, think I might go take out a loan...

I came to this thread because of this article. I have already found some listings in my area that would net ~$5k each. I don't see the downside.

My question for the thread is what is the turnaround time on buybacks? I see people above complaining about the time, but I believe that is because the buybacks are just finally starting correct? If I bought an eligible TDI tomorrow and started the process with VW does anybody have an estimate of how long it would be until I see a check?

I really don't see how this isn't free money. Since I can check eligibility and exactly how much I will get before I buy anything I can be sure exactly what my return will be and am guaranteed the buyback. As long as I have the capital and ability to hold the vehicle until the process completes I just don't see how it isn't a sure thing. What am I missing?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I was under the impression that you were only eligible for the buyback if you bought the car prior to the buyback being announced.

Unsure how you could buy it tomorrow and still be eligible unless it was a title-fraud sort of thing, unless I'm totally wrong on this one and in which case am quitting my job and hoarding oilburner VWs.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I was under the impression that you were only eligible for the buyback if you bought the car prior to the buyback being announced.

Unsure how you could buy it tomorrow and still be eligible unless it was a title-fraud sort of thing, unless I'm totally wrong on this one and in which case am quitting my job and hoarding oilburner VWs.

Read the article a couple of posts up. You can buy one tomorrow and turn around and get the buyback. It usually isn't done this way, but speculation is they did it because the vehicles have to come off the road no matter what (I think they are required to buy back at least 2/3rds) so VW doesn't care who bought it or when since they have to buy them back regardless.

That is why this is such an amazing opportunity to make money. Lots of people don't know about the buyback or don't care so you can buy the cars at normal price then do the buyback and net $5k+ because of the restitution. Hence my question as to how long the buyback process takes if I bought a car tomorrow and initiated the buyback process immediately?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

D-Pad posted:

Read the article a couple of posts up. You can buy one tomorrow and turn around and get the buyback. It usually isn't done this way, but speculation is they did it because the vehicles have to come off the road no matter what (I think they are required to buy back at least 2/3rds) so VW doesn't care who bought it or when since they have to buy them back regardless.

That is why this is such an amazing opportunity to make money. Lots of people don't know about the buyback or don't care so you can buy the cars at normal price then do the buyback and net $5k+ because of the restitution. Hence my question as to how long the buyback process takes if I bought a car tomorrow and initiated the buyback process immediately?

Isn't the restitution split between original purchaser and current owner? I seem to recall something about that in the details when I was looking at the paperwork.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

Isn't the restitution split between original purchaser and current owner? I seem to recall something about that in the details when I was looking at the paperwork.

That only applied for cars bought between June 28, 2015 and September 18, 2015. If you buy one today the seller is poo poo out of luck.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
http://www.vwvortex.com/news/court-documents-now-forbid-stripping-tdis/

No more stripping down the car before trading in.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ugh, I'm really hoping that's not gonna create an issue with my car going back on steelies. loving assholes pushing poo poo loving things up for the rest of us.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

fknlo posted:

Ugh, I'm really hoping that's not gonna create an issue with my car going back on steelies. loving assholes pushing poo poo loving things up for the rest of us.

Worst case just get some lovely walmart wheel covers.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I heard from my manager today that during the week he tried to turn in his Jetta TDI, and he had some issues. He chose the check option, because he didn't want to have to mess with an electronic funds transfer. Due to his long commute, he apparently racked up enough miles to push him into the next mileage bracket for the payback. Since the check was to big, the buyback couldn't be finalized.

The claims rep told him that there was nothing that could be done, other than rescheduling his appointment for a later date. When he resubmitted for a new turn in date (6 weeks out), the proposed payment ends up being the same. The help line doesn't seem to actually seem to be able to help him in any way to verify that a new proper check will be cut for him in March. And, to switch to the electronic funds transfer would require him to start the buyback procedure from scratch.

Anyone have any suggestions on what he can ask or do to get his payout check adjusted properly. I think he would like to avoid having his VW sit for a couple of months until the mileage adjustment catches up to his actual mileage.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
The amount changes every month since it's based on an certain number of miles each month. With the current mileage, by not driving it for a month or two, gets the buyout amount back up to what it used to be.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Finally got my turn in date.

April 21

:kheldragar:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
My work-friend has a ~2014 Jetta TDI that he bought new and had scheduled his turn in for, but was involved in an accident that totaled out the car about a month ago. Insurance paid him out like ~14k and he bought it back, but intends to turn it in to VW to double dip. Should be interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I mean that would only work if the car was able to drive into the dealership under its own power

• Locked thread