Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone else like this show. Don't be embarrassed to admit it. This is the internet you can share secrets. I would never tell anyone in irl life I like this trashy soap opera.

I watch it on PBS and they show two episodes a week and they're like 10 years behind so I am currently in the 2006 lore. Billy and Honey just had a baby, Owen is going to jail for hitting Denise, Minty is getting cucked by SJ, Bradley made Stacey get an abortion and Ruby is hitting on Stacey's brother. Phil is trying to reunite with his son Ben, Ian is doing a hilarious series of mixups with whatshername pretending to be Jane

I downloaded some of the earlier shows so I've seen the first ~200 episodes but then I couldn't find anymore. If I could find a source I would watch all 5000 episodes

There's some new episodes on youtube so I watched a couple of the latest episodes and I don't know all the characters but Ian and Denise and Squiggle and Stacey are all here

I wish I lived a nice life on Albert Square in the 80s and got to spend time with my friends in a pub at evenings. Sounds better than my boring American life. This show is how I learned everything I know about life in England.

Discuss whatever you want about this show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I cant tell the difference between any of the soaps here in Britain.

Is Eastenders the one with the angry bald man.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
holy sh*t Dot is still on the show

how is she not dead yet

she looks the same as she did in 1985 too

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm sure 2016 will be the best Christmas Walford has ever had.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 17, 2016

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Fun Fact: the actress who plays Mo is Gary Oldman's sister

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
When I saw the first post of this thread, I thought it said that it was the internet and we can share accents.

ShortLeroy
Oct 5, 2011
2006 is probably one of the best years to get into the show. It was a period of huge change after the 2000-2005 era. Those years saw the arrival of the Slater family and most of their departures. A new family in The Queen Victoria pub called the Moons came and went. The reemergence of a new era of Watts took the show by storm and the end of 2005 saw the culmination of the long running Who Killed Den? storyline that resulted in several main characters leaving the show. There was also plenty of East end gangsters during 2000-2005 which weren't always popular with a lot of the viewers.

So with many characters gone, a certain era of the show now over, the producers needed a new direction and lots of new characters to inject some life into the show. They decided to go back to the shows roots and focus on family drama. Three main families were brought in during 2006.

The Fox family:
Single mother Denise and her two daughters by different fathers. Denise has had a hard life. She's suffered and overcome things such as drug addiction and domestic abuse. It has made her hard and defensive. Her main focus is her two daughters. Feisty eldest daughter Chelsea is all about looking good and finding a man who can treat her like the Queen she thinks she is. Deep down she longs to find someone to love her though. Teenager Libby, affectionately known as Squiggle, is Chelsea's dorky younger sister and the brains of the family. Denise expects big things from Squiggle and hopes she fulfills her ambition of going to university.

Denise Fox

Chelsea Fox

Libby 'Squiggle' Fox

The Wicks family.
The Wicks are relatives of Pat Evans. They're relatives of her late husband Brian Wicks. Dad Kevin Wicks is the wise and caring father of Carly and Deano. Always with a joke or a pearl of Cockney wisdom. He's forced to put his midlife crisis plans on hold to sort his children out. Tomboy mechanic Carly has seen her marriage end. Deano is the cheeky charmer type who relies on his street smarts to get by in the world. His personality is often a cover for his deep insecurities though.

Carly Wicks, Kevin Wicks, Pat Evans and Deano Wicks.

The Branning family:
Probably the most important family to join the show in 2006. EastEnders was in need of a new starring family. Using the shows existing Branning family tree, they expanded it by introducing Max Branning, his wife and two daughters. Also joining the show was Max's son from his first marriage, Bradley. Max arrives with his family to reconcile with his son who is living in Albert Square with his estranged violent and racist father Jim.

Max

Tanya

Lauren

Abi

Bradley

Also joining in 2006 were a couple of characters people may recognise.

Doctor Oliver Cousins:

Doctor Cousins wasn't around for long but he made a big impression on a few women of Walford. Especially Mo Slater who he nearly ended up running away with. Like most doctors on the show in recent times, he didn't last long and soon left the square. I think he might have ended up in Los Angeles. Not sure.

Sean Slater:

After many of the hugely popular Slater family had left by the end of 2005, the show decided to boost the numbers by introducing Stacey Slater's brother. Sean Slater is a force of nature. Highly sexed, psychotic, violent and fearless. His brooding presence and ability to move around the shadows was almost supernatural.

Aubrey Valentine:

When Denise Fox arrived she revealed she never knew who her father was. All she knew was that he was in a band. In true soap opera coincidence, it turned out local resident Patrick Trueman was in the same band her mother mentioned. It seemed Denise's mother slept with every single band member and had no idea who was the father. In came bandmate Aubrey Valentine to put his name forward. He wasn't Denise's father either but pretends he was after admitting he was jealous of Patrick. I hope Aubrey left and found a surrogate family to take him in.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Fun fact for Americans: this guy was the Geico Gekko until he asked for too much money a year or so ago.

ShortLeroy
Oct 5, 2011
Hello Americans or any other nationality who are thinking why they should watch this show.

The answer is Phil Mitchell. It's hard to compare Phil Mitchell with an American equivalent. He's someone who never loses a fight. He can beat up anybody and he usually does. He's also smart. Very smart. He owns many businesses. Don't let his appearance fool you. He's also very popular with women. He sleeps with beautiful women for fun.

This video kind of explains him
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANa7nn44kgg

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
I am jealous that you get to watch old Eastenders. It's currently very bad. One of the main storylines involves the bin collections being cut and some bloke pretending to be a CEO but really he works in a call centre.

You have so much to look forward to in the next few years. The live episodes, Phil Mitchell on crack, Ian Beale's homeless hat, a couple of big murder storylines and lots of really grim xmas episodes which are the best thing about Eastenders.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

SEX BURRITO posted:

I am jealous that you get to watch old Eastenders. It's currently very bad. One of the main storylines involves the bin collections being cut and some bloke pretending to be a CEO but really he works in a call centre.

You have so much to look forward to in the next few years. The live episodes, Phil Mitchell on crack, Ian Beale's homeless hat, a couple of big murder storylines and lots of really grim xmas episodes which are the best thing about Eastenders.

Crackhead Phil Mitchell is the absolute zenith of the show. They will never manage anything approaching the majesty of that entire storyline.

ShortLeroy posted:

Hello Americans or any other nationality who are thinking why they should watch this show.

The answer is Phil Mitchell. It's hard to compare Phil Mitchell with an American equivalent. He's someone who never loses a fight. He can beat up anybody and he usually does. He's also smart. Very smart. He owns many businesses. Don't let his appearance fool you. He's also very popular with women. He sleeps with beautiful women for fun.

This video kind of explains him
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANa7nn44kgg

Phil is the star of the show. He makes every storyline more entertaining just by dint of it involving Phil. I'd love to see a proper rundown of all the mad poo poo he's been involved in over the years.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Dec 4, 2016

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I didn't like Phil at first but he's growing on me. in 2006 Phil is sober and boring. I must have missed him being a cool badass. Now in 2016 he's dying from liver damage so he must have started drinking again. And he's married to Sharon now?

I'm a manly man so I normally don't care for romance but I did really like the story with Doctor Oliver and Little Mo. They would have been a cute couple

in the episodes I've seen from the 80s I like Den Watts because he is the most alpha

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
holy poo poo I just figured out Bex is Rebecca who is Martin and Sonia's daughter

she is just a cute little toddler in 2006 i cant believe in the current year she is getting defiled by foreigners :(

Martin is with Stacey now? And a different actor

Yer Burnt
Feb 26, 2007

ShortLeroy posted:

Aubrey Valentine:

Geoffrey? GEOFFREY!!

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Don't touch Dot's pussy; don't know where it's been

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTxOsE1IKNo&t=3176s

good advice

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

It's always interesting trying to explain to non-British exactly how ingrained in popular culture soaps are over there.

The talk around Eastenders/Coronation Street is like Days of Our Lives meets Game of Thrones.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Senor Tron posted:

It's always interesting trying to explain to non-British exactly how ingrained in popular culture soaps are over there.

The talk around Eastenders/Coronation Street is like Days of Our Lives meets Game of Thrones.

I'm not English, but I went to uni in Leeds, have lots of English friends from all over, and not once in my life have I talked about eastenders or any other soap.

oliwan fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Dec 27, 2016

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

you slag

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

oliwan posted:

I'm not English, but I went to uni in Leeds, have lots of English friends from all over, and not once in my life have I talked about eastenders or any other soap.

Yes, but unless you also never looked at a newspaper or TV while here, you'd be aware of them.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Gaz-L posted:

Yes, but unless you also never looked at a newspaper or TV while here, you'd be aware of them.

Like, big Eastenders storylines have made the front pages of national newspapers. It's a huge deal.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
I am glad that Phil got his liver transplant for Christmas and is probably going to live now. :dance:

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

SEX BURRITO posted:

I am glad that Phil got his liver transplant for Christmas and is probably going to live now. :dance:

You know with the degree to which they are telegraphing the Roxy and Ronnie stuff I'm wondering if they're gonna swerve hard on the expected outcome.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
some big poo poo going down on New Year's

I haven't been watching long enough to know or care about who Ronnie and Roxy are

WonderfulWino
Sep 26, 2004

The grape wont cut me loose.
I used to watch it twice a week religiously on pbs when it was the era of Ian's wife out to kill him, then lost track of the show until many years later when i caught it on PBS again by chance and it sucked. I ended up finding all the episodes from the beginning and binged. Until found the show to be nothing but muslim and hindu bullshit and they all own nightclubs or some poo poo. Was a great show when everyone was poor.

If you can find it and binge watch it Id recommend it at least from the beginning til Arthur dies.

'ello ma!

Oh and the only reason I ever gave Eastenders a looksee is because i happened to tune past when Ms Brahmns from Are you being served was on screen. I had a huge crush on sexy knickers.

WonderfulWino fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jan 9, 2017

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Pauline was cool and hot in the 80s

how come she became such a cruel b*tch

I like Are You Being Served too. they air that on PBS here too

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I remember when Mrs Masood was in that abusive relationship and the guy died in a house fire.

That was fun.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
My best friend is going out with the son of the bloke who played Charlie Slater, ama

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
is she hot

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Yeah

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

HopperUK posted:

My best friend is going out with the son of the bloke who played Charlie Slater, ama

I have met Charlie Slater and he is lovely. I also got an autograph from Beppe but I lost it. :(

My friend lived near the Eastenders studios and used to see actors from the show quite a lot. Apparently Phil Mitchell cycles to work.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
A bus driver had a heart attack or something and crashed the bus into the marketplace

maybe some people are dead

epic

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The only thing I like about this show is Charlie Brooker's relentless commitment to covering its development over the years.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
BBC airing a special about June Brown's career for her 90th birthday next month

wow, she used to be good looking

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1iMJNYHe1I

I'm suprised nobody posted the Duff Duff.

The man called M fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jan 30, 2017

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I only know about Eastenders through the Ricky Gervais show Extras; "Barry from Eastenders" is a recurring character.

tell me about Barry

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Martin got run over by a bus a couple days ago and now he's back on his stall just fine, just has a few bruises

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

I like that in contrast to eastenders being grim af the bbc has this radio soap called the archers which is the most boring poo poo ever.

Look at this poo poo:

quote:

Josh suggests they might need a new baler at Brookfield. When David agrees, Josh tells him about his plans for a new online business, selling used farm machinery. His website would be the shop window for tackle, starting with their old baler. David's sceptical when he hears Rex will be assisting with the pictures; he doesn't want Rex to think this is his answer to a career in farming. Josh thinks his dad's being too hard on Rex. And there could be real money in this business once it gets off the ground.

Jill's making an effort with Toby. She invites him to come with Pip to a special dinner she's making at Brookfield. Toby accepts readily, but he says he can't promise stubborn Pip will agree. However he makes a plan, and succeeds in getting Pip there by stealth.

Initially irate, Pip begins to thaw and over a good beef dinner with all the family Jill thanks Toby warmly for his help when she fell. Pip and Jill further reconcile over the washing up. Later, over a cosy bedtime snack of Jill's flapjacks, Pip declares to Toby that she feels like they're a real couple... doesn't it Toby, she asks.

what kind of cunts are called pip and rex?

Whorelord fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jan 31, 2017

WonderfulWino
Sep 26, 2004

The grape wont cut me loose.

MiddleOne posted:

The only thing I like about this show is Charlie Brooker's relentless commitment to covering its development over the years.

Harry Hill TV Burp used to love to cover EE too. Good times.

Martman posted:

I only know about Eastenders through the Ricky Gervais show Extras; "Barry from Eastenders" is a recurring character.

tell me about Barry

He was a useless turd of a welcome mat. Married Janine Butcher then she pushed him down a hill for his used car empire he just inherited from his dead dad who was married to Jenines stepmother Pat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHjfdeVvJP0

I got to find these episodes again. I laughed and laughed when that snooty dude with the rival pub raped Kathy.

WonderfulWino fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 1, 2017

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Whorelord posted:

I like that in contrast to eastenders being grim af the bbc has this radio soap called the archers which is the most boring poo poo ever.

Look at this poo poo:

what kind of cunts are called pip and rex?

The Archers just had a big domestic violence storyline where a battered wife stabbed her husband.

But generally it's lame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
is this real

• Locked thread