Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
I will play this game. After over a year break, I should be just terrible!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
Confirming that I'm not confirming anything

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

IllegallySober posted:

I want 4 Elixirs, please.

For these items I am prepared to offer you the princely sum of 17 Gil.

Do not take this clearly horrible offer.

I will pay you 22 Gil for those Elixirs, because I am not a cheapskate.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Moatillata posted:

All I know is that my role.pm means I've been using the wrong public restroom all my life

Time to make a change

Are you Denny from squidbillies?

He always says he's gonna make a change

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

King Burgundy posted:

No clue. Since if he's town, he's not behaving rationally.

For myself, as town if I gave my gil away before dying, I'd share who it went to unless I was in a masonry or something to share that info in, so that town has access to that info before I go and it is lost forever. But I can see the counter argument.

I think, as town, I wouldn't reveal that information: it would just make them a target.

As scum, I'm not sure. I probably wouldn't reveal the information, just because I wouldn't if I was town. At least, not until I was at -1 or 2 and a shoe in, but even then it could only promote discussion, which rarely favors scum.

As an aside: I heartily recommend everyone picks up a staff on top of whatever weapon you choose. You never know when you may need to go full paladin/dark knight, and the extra level on a cure spell or protect might save mr axe guy from a brutal death

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

I don't like the idea of attacking the soldier. Attacking the evil empire at the start of the game rarely favors the party.

I like B the best, then A, D, and C worst. As bad as attacking a soldier could be, telling the truth is probably the worst (unless he's a sympathizer I guess? but that's probably overthinking it)

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

chaoslord posted:

The thing in all of this I'm most confused about is Tobbs asking for a modkill and playing that as the pro town move. I can kind of see "Well I don't want a town lynch" but that takes a lot of squinting at to wrap my head around it. Combined with Tobbs leaving his gil to RNGesus? I am doubtful. Goes from being so protective of town making a bad play to throwing caution to the wind doesn't add up. Also, with as often as D1 ends up being a coinflip, if truly town getting the modkill granted could leave two dead towns at the end of D1 which is counter to the whole idea of avoiding a bad play.

Plus theres the whole watching D1 and leaving reads on his way out, etc.

This is where I'm at. Asking for a n0/d1 lynch is a frustration play (if true), not a pro town play. d1 is such a mess anyway, but it sets the tone for the next several days unless someone gets really lucky with night actions. Even then, we have to decide if we believe those results or not based on d1. This sort of thing is just the kind of discussion that makes a d1 better for town, as it provides a real concrete argument to read off of. Cutting it short can only hurt, even excluding the possibility of losing two town d1.

Tobbs would be my vote right now, if I were going to vote this early in the day, but for now I want to do storytime, shopping, and throw more fuel on the discussion fire.

chaoslord posted:

Full disclosure, I don't know much about FF2, so this may be barking up the wrong tree, but isn't Richard Highwind a major playable character? If so, doesn't arguing the bolded point mean either you are the only town with a major playable character somehow or that you are scum?
He's one of the rotating 4th party slot people. Fairly major, not one of the 3 who are there the whole game. I imagine there's a good mix of characters in fake claims though, like you said, so I don't want to base anything on that.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

I'm sticking with B

Not that it looks like it will matter, with the lead A has

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

SLASHER HAWKE posted:

no room in the rebellion for cowards

The very first thing you do in ff2 is run away from soldiers like a coward. It's step 1. Also, random encounters in NES games were a pain. Unless we're playing the Dawn of Souls remake. I'll have to ask CPig.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

this is a stickup posted:

yeah I think tmm made some good points that make me hesitate. however I think inf is probably right, as I have stated more than once in this thread, and I think it's worth testing despite tmm's post

I don't like this attittude (you want to test a theory, and flip tobbs "as a test", not scum hunt). Maybe it's just wording, but that's important.

SLASHER HAWKE posted:

I'm going to kill you and loot your corpse.

I don't know what this is. Well, ok, it's a threat/promise. I just don't know why it is.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Why are we sure that this event will reward gil? Couldn't it be a "Rebellion players lose x hp"/"Imperial players lose x hp" or some other reward/punishment? I don't think just looking at options that might reward money is the way to go. CPig just said there would be negative or positive results.

Working from that view, I don't favor fighting the soldier outright. Any of the others I would vote for.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Kashuno posted:

Because Cpig specifically said in the OP they give loot or gil the end.

oh hey, so he did. I forgot about that, and just went back to the first event to reread what he said there.

So yea, lets piss someone off. C

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

I'll bid 250, as I don't really understand auctions.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Bifauxnen posted:

##vote King Burgundy

I didn't really want to do this cause I remember from our last scum game that he's got great analytical chops, and he implied a role I wouldn't want to lose if it's not a fakeclaim.

But if it's not a fakeclaim I'm a bit concerned why he's so gung ho for this armor that will lock him into using just the one spell effectively. And he's just diving into a bidding war which will waste townie money when we could've discussed first.

It's worth noting (if a little bit gaming the system), that he could only have 300 gil as scum if he had bought nothing from the store this entire day, which isn't super likely. As town, a player could have spent 150 gil and still have 300 to bid.

It isn't confirmation by any means (who knows what scum might have) but it is a reason.

Somberbrero posted:

slasher is probably scum but uh why are we not flipping tobbs 'scumslip' mcgree?

Because TMM said he received 350 gil from an anonymous donor, the last 50 gil of which appeared within 5 minutes of the rebellion receiving an additional 50 gil from the first event.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Mithross posted:

It isn't confirmation by any means (who knows what scum might have) but it is a reason.

I never said it was conclusive. Just evidence.

Finances are d1 potential evidence that will become less and less reliable as the game goes on. By tomorrow who knows, and by day 3 it'll be useless guesswork unless something really weird happens. For now I'm willing to factor it in though.

As for short reads:
Slasher is acting scummy and weird. ##vote Slasher Hawke

Somber's recent posts feel like a scum trying to appear active on d1 at the last minute. Missing the fact he received gil doesn't really ping on my radar, but his overall posting strategy does. If we get any momentum on him I would gladly switch to somber.

Hats and chaoslord haven't been active at all. Hats just subbed in, but chaos said he was nearing deadline on his other thread yesterday, and then never came back.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

I'll try to be here at deadline, but in case I don't make it. I'll make the hop to ##vote somber, for the reason I mentioned previously. His game feels like scum trying to post after doing nothing day 1.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Bifauxnen posted:

Lurker Zone: Lord of Hats, chaoslord, IllegallySober, Mithross.
Probably most suss on Mithross right now just from that poo poo with KB earlier.

Oh come on, I'm doing better than hats and CL :/

Also, would "that poo poo with KB" being the time you overstated my position, I corrected you with a quote from my original post, and you never mentioned it again until now?

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Also, good news for those missing my glorious presence. I have the next three days off and will gladly argue over any sort of silliness you'd like.

Once I'm done tonight anyway...

Go home you jerks, just because you don't have families and want to drink the day before Thanksgiving, it doesn't mean I don't want to go home...

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Bifauxnen posted:

hey wait a second scum could've given KB more money though!!

Mithross your point is not conclusive proof of anything, hell maybe the whole thing was your idea to help clear your scumbro! :argh:

I meant this. You know, the part were you actually called me scummy.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Bifauxnen posted:

Yeah I get that's the part you wanted to correct me on, that "oh you overstated my position" doesn't sit right with me though. My first reaction was to doubt you and double check for myself if it even said that scum started with the same amount of gil as town to begin with. When I saw it did that made me pause and unvote.
You said he could only have 300 gil as scum if he bought nothing.

But then I complained after the fact cause on second thought that still didn't prove anything, scumbuds could've given him more money if he'd spent some earlier.

Which is why I put that second paragraph in, where I admit it isn't conclusive because who knows what scum have. I guess I could have put "have or have done" to be clearer. Ok, I used only in the first paragraph, which clashes with the second a little, but it's not like I didn't cover the possibility until someone else brought it up.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Bifauxnen posted:

Hope you do that re-read you mentioned KB, if you don't think better of it I'm gonna be real mad. My spite is super charged up right now from a week of my boss pulling even worse poo poo than you when it comes to not listening to me

I voted Mithross instead of you cause even though your scummy posts and flavor poo poo has me paranoid I can at least easily see the alternate case where I just thought wrong and you're all defensive cause you are in fact Uber White Mage Dude so of course it seems unacceptable to doubt you. But Mithross is just opportunistically piggybacking on you. Not even having the conviction to vote me after what he posted, happy to let you be the loud one leading the charge but trying to slip in that poo poo about me "overstating his position" so I look real scummy, it's garbage and if you still can't see that after sleeping on it and having a re-read, that's gonna be stretching my ability to think you're just real defensive power role town to the limit here.

Man you are full of spite and vitriol and just empty on logic.

Here is the chain of events, in order:

Mithross posted:

It's worth noting (if a little bit gaming the system), that he could only have 300 gil as scum if he had bought nothing from the store this entire day, which isn't super likely. As town, a player could have spent 150 gil and still have 300 to bid.

Because TMM said he received 350 gil from an anonymous donor, the last 50 gil of which appeared within 5 minutes of the rebellion receiving an additional 50 gil from the first event.

Bifauxnen posted:

Ugh, thats a good point. Did CPig actually say anywhere that everyone started with 300 Gil? Gonna go check

Bifauxnen posted:

hey wait a second scum could've given KB more money though!!

Mithross your point is not conclusive proof of anything, hell maybe the whole thing was your idea to help clear your scumbro! :argh:

Mithross posted:

I never said it was conclusive. Just evidence.

Finances are d1 potential evidence that will become less and less reliable as the game goes on. By tomorrow who knows, and by day 3 it'll be useless guesswork unless something really weird happens. For now I'm willing to factor it in though.

Bifauxnen posted:

Lurker Zone: Lord of Hats, chaoslord, IllegallySober, Mithross.
Probably most suss on Mithross right now just from that poo poo with KB earlier.

I made a point, you declared it wasn't conclusive (which I never said it was) and have been using that to attack me. I hadn't voted you yet because, while this has been a thing, I felt like you were a townie going HAM on a misunderstanding. I felt like stickup, that you were making too risky a gambit to be scum, lashing out at multiple people.

But now that you're focusing in on me, you feel more like a scum player looking for weakness. Also, the way you bring up KB's bread crumb over and over again, taking it from a bread crumb into a claim, is just really scummy. A town player wouldn't want to bring an "uber white mage dude" into the open quite that easily.

Now you say I'm piggybacking, like I'm following KB's lead. Yes, he started the back and forth first, but he added my point into his posts.

Bifauxnen posted:

I'm easy enough to just call scummy in a vague way anyway once I get started, he doesn't have to say I'm moving goalposts and poo poo, that just feels like manufacturing a ready-made case for town to follow.

Like come on dude if you really just made a mistake claiming too early, now that you've gone back and looked at your guy more properly can't you even see why I was suspicious? This is the guy who can use the loving Ultima Tome apparently, and at the very start of the game he already has a full list of white spells. He is the master loving white mage but nah, he just starts with Cure skill, he'll just slap on this big armor now cause he wouldn't even dream of casting Protect or Shell on anybody,come on ffs

You say I said you overstated my position, then blame KB for saying you moved the goalposts (which is the same arguement). And now you're upset that someone made a case against you, instead of calling you vaguely scummy? The whole point of this game is to make cases, instead of calling someone vaguely scummy. It is what town does.

##vote Bifauxnen

I don't see myself changing this vote anytime soon. You're all over the place, and not in a paranoid town fashion, but in the way of a scum trying to defend himself while attacking a weakness, and not quite pulling it together.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Bifauxnen posted:

u fucken wot m8

I do apologize for that. I try not to make personal attacks, but by the time I thought better I'd already posted.

The rest of the post I'm sticking to.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Bifauxnen posted:

it has a limited number of shots.

If you have a limited night vig, why would you:
a) use it night 1, as a crapshoot
b) claim it under light pressure, with no one trying to convince you to claim, early in the day

Bifauxnen posted:

My ability to probably just make another wrong guess has less utility than suddenly overturning scum attempts to frame me up.

There's no real overturn here? You either are telling the truth with no real proof, lying but there isn't a vig to counter claim, or are lying, but the real vig won't counter claim because they can shoot you tonight instead.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Bifauxnen posted:

Mith if you're legit town, please do me a favor, go back to the start of the game and pretend that I never cast a vote your way cause I'm still too busy arguing with KB instead.

Observe how early KB gives his dude away. From that point on, I'm already raising eyebrows at him. This is basically the equivalent of saying "Hello everyone, I am the doctor here to help!" :buddy: I don't know if he just doesn't think his role is anything special in this weird kind of setup where everyone's throwing attacks back and forth, or if he doesn't think it's a big deal to claim it because his dude is a fakeclaim, and not genuinely as powerful as a legit Minwu role would be if he was town. In the FF2 game, his character Minwu is one of those short-term visiting PC's you get that's way more overleveled than all your dudes and knows practically every white magic spell at a high level.

Then I thought some of his other posting about Tobbs and the event was kinda scummy, but I'm still hedging my bets and waiting to see what happens cause he did claim something good, and it's D1 anyway. (meanwhile, you hadn't posted too much so you were on my only mildly scummish list for minimal participation)

Then when the auction came, that set me off because now he's diving in to drive up the price on this thing he says is "right up his alley" but will tank all his spellcasting except for one single spell. Now maybe CPig just interprets things different than I do. Maybe he just gave KB a buttload of MP to be good at magic in general, and only gave him actual spell skill in Cure. But if anyone in this whole game is going to use the other white magic spells, it would be KB's character. Are we all supposed to learn them up from scratch? Even Maria who flipped had a meager 2 in fire spell or something.

So that's what set me off. The immediate auction issue seemed like whoah, okay it's gotta be a fakeclaim now. So I voted but then you came in and while I'm making a lot of posts there right away, not exactly sitting back taking my time to plot and plan as scum you know, first thing I see at the top of your post is "He can ONLY have 300 gil if..." and I go "oh gently caress did I just finally vote him when it's impossible anyway and I'm a major idiot", so I go back to check. Looking back yes, you said "it doesn't prove anything" but my eyes would've just skimmed over that as meaningless default hedging uncertainty. When I said "You didn't conclusively prove anything" that was simply me saying the same thing you did after coming to that conclusion myself. Cause I was figuring it all out just then. Cause I am not scum and don't already know this poo poo. But now I'm paranoid about why you're backing him up.

And then you come in all "you overstated my position" when my first reaction was to stop and derail the moment I thought I finally had a lead just to listen to you and double check before I could be sure of anything. So I am mildly irritated about this.

I am working on doing this, FYI. But new stuff keeping happening in the thread and I get distracted.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Bifauxnen posted:

A - cause trying to lynch lurkers is always a slog, easier to pick em off and save the lynches for people with actual content you can case and argue for. And who says I'm even gonna be around long to use it later?

B -

Well, I can understand that reasoning.

Bifauxnen posted:

Though it's funny how CCK thinks it's unusual to have a vig at all cause it seems so powerful compared to the rest of combat stuff, while you think there's "no real proof" when we got 2 dead bodies.

No real proof that you performed the kill. It's possible that Anon just ate a disproportionate amount of weapons, or that someone else performed the kill. Anon's flip listed her with 10hp, which wouldn't take very many weapon attacks to empty.

I haven't completely ruled your claim out yet. I'm thinking out loud.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Bifauxnen posted:

"Hey Inf why dont you say something"

"Sure friendo, just kindly link me to a specific post to react to and I will read those players"

"Do your own drat work, here's the OP with the full player list"

"You scum! You didn't handhold me to only react to one post like I asked!"

This doesn't look good (for inf). Looking back over Inf's game, none of it looks good. He spent 90% of day 1 tunneling tobbs, asked about a couple other votes but never really gave opinions on them. When he voted somber he outright called it a "gently caress it vote"

And then today he claimed thief and posted a bunch of nothing. Called TMM scum just cause, and then that one vote on Bif.

I'm still not sure about Bif, but Inf is looking mighty scummy to me.

Bifauxnen posted:

I didn't notice Moat only had 5 HP! Jeez. That makes the 7 HP fire attack last night look even more scummy, I can't think of any big gun black mages that are supposed to be good guys

Black magic did go on sale at the end of the day, so it doesn't have to be scum. The basic hand axe does six damage. (although, without any info on base magic damage, it's still a bit scummy)

Speaking of, I'm going to back off Bifauxnen for now. I'm still suspicious, but no longer 100% scum there.
##unvote
Fake edit: I did notice the kill flavor, but mortal wound could also mean weapon attacks, although the single wound to the chest... I feel better about the vig claim, at least. I'm going to say 46% better.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Mafia edit: fake edit edition

Mithross posted:

Fake edit: I did notice the kill flavor, but mortal wound could also mean weapon attacks, although I missed the single wound to the chest... I feel better about the vig claim, at least. I'm going to say 46% better.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

CapitalistPig posted:

There are 3 alignments in this game.

I don't think we were told anything about potential 3p/solo aligned, just three alignments.

Which makes me wonder about the merchant, honestly.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

In fact, other than the merchant claim, Absurd has done nothing but lurk. One vote on tobbs, when tobbs was asking for votes, and a promise to case someone that never actually comes to anything. I remembered he said he'd have magic when he sold weapons, but looking back that came up two pages after CPig posted the update with tomes, so that doesn't help at all.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Bifauxnen posted:

I wonder too about what the merchants deal is but don't see how AR could make that much poo poo up. He might be fudging some details to best present himself, but I can't see him as a threat like the scum are. It's strange for him to exist as a player in the game when he can't control who he sells to, but that would still leave him the choice of how to best make money by upgrading the shop or going with inn services instead. But whether or not he can choose to reject a sale, town would still be his biggest market.

I agree it's not a today threat, but I can't imagine he's telling us everything. I guess I'm not doubting the merchant claim (he did announce weapons before they went up), I'm just pretty confident that there's something else going on. Otherwise, why have a player merchant instead of automatic one? Neither side is going to want to kill the merchant when they still might get upgrades.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Kashuno posted:

can players trade items?

IllegallySober posted:

If you'd rather have the dagger I'll trade you for the long sword ;)

Kashuno posted:

This is a very sketchy thing to say

Kash looks bad here, especially combined with his relative lack of participation in the game. Asks if people can trade, someone offers to trade, he calls it sketchy?

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

TMMadman posted:

Some of it is gut, some of it is ~*reasons*~

TMMadman posted:

I just want to clarify that my ~*reasons*~ for think Mithross suspicious are not investigation related.

So I do agree with KB that Keane jumping on a Mithross vote (without me even voting Mithross) is really weird.

I'm pretty OK with my Keane vote right now.

TMMadman posted:

I still think it should be Keane. He's hasn't done anything but tunnel on IS and switched to Mithross when he thought I was soft claiming. I would rather do either Mithross or Keane today as I think they are both scum and it felt like Keane was just trying to get on a Mithross lynch early.

You keep bringing me up but never actually say why. I would like to know your reasons.

CCKeane jumping on me after your "reasons" post, in a vacuum, would be understandable, as it does read like a soft claim. But combined with the rest of his history, he seems to be playing a really low effort game, only picking up when he started to get cases and votes made against him.

##vote CCKeane

I still like Kash as scum too, and would happily vote him. He has been really erratic this game. He only has a couple post that goes longer than a single line, mostly in n0. He's trying to play things so he just skates under the radar without over making a splash, and I think it's scummy.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Second post because different topic

Somberbrero posted:

calling out infi for voting me when mithross threw his down and then bounced seems crazy. why hasn't mithross followed up on this? why push someone we have a positive result on? why not mention that in your argument?

I'm honestly not sure what that first sentence means, can you clarify it? I didn't call anyone out for voting you at all, or for voting me. If you're talking about my argument with Bif, that covered a lot more ground than just voting me.
As for the positive results, I had honestly forgotten that you had said he "is most likely town", even though you are not actually a cop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Moatillata posted:

Obs doc was 10/10 would obs again

THANKS PIG

This sums up my feelings. Best dead doc

• Locked thread