Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

This has been without a doubt one of the hardest rounds of picks I've had to suss out yet in Trad Games here, my apologies for how long it's taken. After a great deal of mulling and sussing, I've arrived at the following picks for our initial foray into the Nightmares:

Macit Cypress, the Thief, played by Permotriassic
Shodana Khashayarsha, the Cultist, played by MinutePirateBug
Kasra Coriander, the Bard, played by tin can made man
Navid Nima, the Berserker, played by slydingdoor
Jad Amir, the Fighter, played by A Velociraptor!
Musad Sundown, the Fighter, played by Shogeton
Sister Reyhana, the Assassin, played by Ambivalent
Zarina Farhevar Rafhezadi, the Scholar, played by Razeam
Reza Shadhevar Shahwaleed, the Champion, played by Fraction Jackson.

For the five who remain, it was very tight; however, for what it's worth, The Nightmares Underneath is very likely to be unkind to those who delve into the incursions. Any of you who are still interested in following along and participating in the Troupe, please let me know; Troupe characters would be in the running to enter the fray as replacements in the event of casualties and there may be some opportunities along the way in the meantime to incorporate some additional roleplay.

I'll begin the process of sorting out an OP next--know that we'll be pretty promptly diving into your first Nightmare Incursion from there. Take stock as need be--some of you have some last details to sort out and we can handle all of that now as well (Kasra, for instance, has a random hireling from the get-go.)

Optional for those inclined to give a nod towards old Trad Games tradition--if you'd like to post impressions of the other characters by yours, feel free in the meantime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Yeah, sure I'm up fir Troupe.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis
I'm in as a back up or whatever.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013
Tokens if you guys want to map stuff out on roll20. I'm just starting to learn how to use gimp and I was pretty lazy when I did these so they may not be consistent...

http://imgur.com/a/IkF3K

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

Macit: Navid would like to help destroy whatever evil force is torturing the ghost of their sister, but if he had to kill that same ghost to get his memories back, he would.
Shodana: Navid speculates that one such as she has no righteous life left but to fight nightmares, and only death can end her atonement.
Kasra: Cleverness gives such an impermanent reprieve to bullying like that of the Ranger. Navid's solution would make for a far shorter campfire story, but you can't tell stories without being alive and with a functioning throat and tongue.
Jad: Being a warrior is about not losing, and the oppressed tend to pick poor battles for would-be champions to fight for them. Navid would just round up a posse to punish any oppressor rather than throw himself in between them and whatever fools provoked their wrath.
Musad: Navid knows what it is like to feel alone. But at least the peasant has memories, he should appreciate that.
Reyhana: An assassin who is not driven to fight and triumph over their foes is odd to Navid. Perhaps poverty can drain the vigor out of even one of them.
Zarina: Navid believes her quest is folly: the best way to reveal history is to write it with your deeds. Become rich, have children that can be proud of their new name. Navid wonders if he has children he has forgotten about.
Reza: Navid wonders whether a rich man who hates beasts so much can hunt or survive in the wilderness in general.

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Nov 25, 2016

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
Thread is live.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
New companions, and new adventures. Some have stories I have heard, others have ones I will tell. At the truly least, they cannot be described as boring.

Macit Cypress, the Thief: A rather intense woman with a rather intense fixation on the dead. Perhaps she has the right idea; I've spent my years becoming quite intimate with the living, and all it has earned me so far are some warm nights, a few grand adventures, and likely a pauper's grave. When I get there, I do hope she'll look for what remains of me; her eyes are quite beautiful, and I would not mind spending one or two eternities with them.

Shodana Khashayarsha, the Cultist: Far more dour than most scandalized nobles I've met. I suppose that makes her interesting. I've ventured with plenty of the higher classes whose fall from grace was punished with a literal descent due to infidelity and disloyalty, but with this one I heard something about cultists and idolatry out on the fringes of the Kingdom. A new story to me, and perhaps not one I'd care to delve into too deeply.

Navid Nima, the Berserker: A man whose countenance is as black as his lungs likely are. He has an unplaceable accent, an uninviting nature, and an unneglected sword.

So far, a rather humourless lot. In my experience, that means my services are much more cherished, or despised entirely.

Jad Amir, the Fighter: Refreshingly simple, at least on the surface. This one enjoys hacking at things and feeling them bang against his shield. An ascetic life, in its own way - I envy that sort of discipline. And it breeds such corded arms and broad shoulders, as well.

Musad Sundown, the Fighter: He is less of a fighter than Amir, yet unlike him, fighting is only what he knows. One is the blade, and the other the hilt. I haven't quite decided which, yet. I think they'll be fast friends or bitter enemies - either would be entertaining to watch.

Sister Reyhana, the Assassin: A holy woman, to look and listen to her. Too charitable by half, and too humble by double. If she is to descend into the nightmare with us, I do hope she can sin at least a little.

Zarina Farhevar Rafhezadi, the Scholar: She seems smart, and perhaps wise, with a quiet focus that usually comes with something to prove. She should be a delightful conversation partner around the embers. Dry, perhaps, but I can extract some drollness from her if I try, I wager.

Reza Shadhevar Shahwaleed, the Champion: A zealot, at last! No true band is complete without one. Honeyed words and spiced embraces keep a company's morale smoldering, but it's the bellowing and bellicosity which keeps their feet marching. He seems very much a very model paladin; I shan't compromise his virtue, unless he requests it.

tin can made man fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Nov 25, 2016

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013

Macit: "Greetings. I come on behalf of Magistrate Vashti Rafhezad, you are Macit Cypress correct? You are not in any trouble, but there have been rumors that you have been looking for nightmares. The Magistrate is looking for men with skills, such as yourself to address such issues."

Her? He? has quick and precise movements. He looks quite strong he'll probably be useful.

Navid Nima: "Ho there warrior. I have a potentially lucrative ah proposal for you, and surely a warrior of your standing would be interested in challenging a opponents as fierce as those found in nightmares? Well I have a proposal for you from Magistrate Vashti Rafhezad...

He's built like a stone wall, he could be useful or dangerous.
Kasra: *looks at the dive that Kasra is hanging out in* " Ahem. What is the great Hero Kasra Coriander doing in a place like this? Surely, one with talents as great as yours should not be squandered in a place like this. The beneficent Magistrate Vashti Rafhezad has an offer for you... "

Why does the Magistrate want to recruit this fop?

Jad: "Ser Amir, I have heard tell that you have been on a noble quest to protect the weak from the nightmares. Would you consider joining a band of righteous brothers and sisters in fighting the good fight? For surely while one person can do some good, many working together do much more for the greater good."

Such men are always useful pawns.

Musad: "You are Musad? Of the Sundown Chasers? I come to offer you bloody vengeance..."

If I were to lose my family my entire tribe, the way this man has I could not go on. He is made of sterner stuff than I.

Reyhana: "Haha, when you spit on me that was quite... the wonderful jest. I have always had a deep respect for, the uh.. Sisterhood. In fact you've come highly recommended as a ahem " fixer". I would have you know I that I am looking to form a of capable band brothers and sisters to fight the true enemies of mankind - the nightmares. Would you be interested? No please don't walk away would it help if I tell you I come on behalf of Magistrate Vashti Rafhezad?" (i see this as kind of the outline of what happened in my character's mind rather than what actually happened

She makes her distaste of noble and idolaters very clear. Fanatical peasant bitch. If I weren't absolutely desperate I would have nothing to do with her. I don't think I will be getting much sleep while she is around..

Zarina: She was already present within the house of Rafhezd when I arrived. I do not know her yet I cannot say anything about her.

Reza: "Hail Champion, Magistrate Vashti Rafhezad would have you come to fight against idolatry, nightmares, and for the good of all the people!"

A champion, I should fear him, but his manners are endearing.

MinutePirateBug fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 25, 2016

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Sunset, Neth. A man climbs the stairs into a cramped upper apartment in a decent section of the city. The dying day can be seen through broad open arches in the white walls. A squawk from the corner draws his attention; a significant portion of the room's north corner is taken up by a floor-to-ceiling birdcage, containing a magnificent-looking raptor. He walks over to the cage, reaching in and scratching the bird's head, before fishing out a healthy portion of jerky from a nearby satchel and tossing it to her.

Smiling and satisfied, he turns back to the rest of the room. A bed, a number of hanging plants, and two overflowing bookshelves flanking a crowded desk make up most of the rest of the space. He walks over to the desk, lights the oil lamp, clears a space, and begins writing.

So the man makes nine. Either the Magistrate has completely lost his nerve or this is a very dangerous incursion. Again I requested Emir Zaan that I participate in person. Again he demurred. If I could find a flaw in his logic it would irritate me more. Nevertheless, if things go poorly I may be able to be more convincing next time. Not that I would wish the fate of dying in a nightmare on anyone.

Quite the motley band assembled, however. I've met most of them in person, and heard enough about the others.

Macit Cypress: Twitchy. Nimble, dexterous, grip like iron, eyes like stones. Can hardly blame... him? Him, I think. Have never heard of ghosts aging but I will not pretend anything about the Nightmares makes consistent sense. Irritates me with his irreverence, however. If Law and science can't find a good answer then he probably won't want the answer he finds.

Shodana Khashayarsha: Calm as well-water. Smiles constantly. I do not like it, usually I feel like the smile is looking down on me. Very distinctly a noble in every way. Have heard bits about what happened at Citadel. I suspect she knows much more about the details than she has let on. I also suspect prying would be bad for my health.

Kasra Coriander: Charming, handsome, slick. He reminds me of the vendors in the market, the ones who had been there for decades. Remember the first Truth of Ferahkeen. What drives such a man to this line of work must be powerful.

Navid Nima: Did not meet him in person. As I understand it he hasn't, either. The description given to me definitely doesn't sound like either form of amnesia, which means magic is absolutely involved. Leaves and smokeables, though... Reminds me of the dens off of Saffron Street.

Jad Amir: Why does this story sound so familiar...

The man sets down his pen, scratching at his scalp for a few moments before continuing.

Ah, it escapes me. Also did not meet him in person. His reputation precedes him, however. A grudge with a fey is concerning. Pride seeking solace makes men do irrational things.

Musad Sundown: A broken man. Still capable, but what do you do when you have lost everything? Powerfully built, emotionless. Eyes like stones. Spoke very little.

Sister Reyhana: Abbess Fehruza managed to unseat the previous corrupt Emir of Ferahkeen; it did not stick. I swear my homeland is cursed. Reyhana is quiet but cheerful, a dutiful Law-scholar. I can also see a fire in her eyes that is very unlike that of most monks or nuns I have met. They also did not carry axes. Worth paying attention to.

Zarina Farhevar Rafhezadi: A scribe and a historian; also a woman, which is standout, as many madrasas do not admit women. Pleasant and determined in person; can hardly blame her. Redeeming the Rafhezadi name is a tall order. Possessed of surprising fire underneath her charm. I would like to talk to her more; fellow scholars in this line of work are rare enough.

Reza Shadhevar Shahwaleed: Possessed of entirely unsurprising fire. Built like an ox, passionate, Law-abiding. Admirable in every way; stick him in a folk tale as the hero. If I had to bet money on anyone surviving this to old age, it would be him.

Certainly this group does not lack in prowess or ability. I am concerned about their pasts and mental state, however. Nightmares are not kind and will prise weaknesses out of an unguarded mind to use against t

A knock at the door, beneath, rouses the man from his trance. Tutting, he sets the pen aside and descends the stairs again. The sun has disappeared beneath the city skyline, and the falcon dips her head under a wing, ready to sleep.

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Nov 26, 2016

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

For Sister Reyhana
Appearance: A young woman who has worked a hard life, just into her 30's, with soft features and warm, mirthful eyes. She is a tailor, a cook and your schoolteacher, out amongst the struggling communities of Neth every day in simple clothing. She is typically sunny and good humored - someone who has learned that sermons rarely reach people as often as a pearl slipped between a joke and a helping hand. It takes some time to recognize the well-corded muscles and cautious eyes that would seem out of place to her lifestyle.

Impressions:
In my experience, a thief will steal away less in the night than well-heeled men in the day. And yet, it is a profession, not a purpose. There are thieves with good hearts, and pure intent. Of all people, I certainly cannot be one who forgets this. There is a softness in this one that proves this point.
~
Many of the land's 'great men and women' I have met have easy smiles, soft hands and hard hearts. So when I see a bey with cold eyes, a hard body and sharp tongue, I am wary. The people in Citadel have suffered greatly as of late - I have heard it on the lips of refugees in Neth who were once farmers that have now lost entire herds. What thought was given them, I wonder?
~
By virtue of some dry commentaries, some take the Law as frowning upon revelry or entertainment or simple pleasures. In truth, the Abbess teaches that the Law cares little to limit what freedom men and women find in their day so long as it does not lead them against their duties. In that, I love anyone who can tell a good tale and take us away from our selves for a little while. People lead hard lives - blessed is the happiness outside that. What use is piety without dancing? We are flesh and blood, not stone.
~
Conflict is suffering, and should be engaged sparingly, sought never. The Abbess teaches us the value of a peaceful repose and quiet transitions - it is of necessity and reason, not of emotion. Bloody-minded men can only ever leave a better world in their wake in spite of their ways, not because of them...
~
...which is not to discount warriors out of hand. The people need shields, in ways literal and not, and the Law explicitly calls the just to arms. Such acts are ennobling - especially for nobles, who need it most.
~
There's woe enough in the world without creatures from beyond and below striking at us. One need only look into the eyes of those who've lost so much to understand what is at stake should we fail in our duty to confront these incursions. I, and these others, have been blessed with that ability - reason alone dictates we make use of it.
~
There are few higher callings than studying the Law itself but not for it's own sake. I hold all scholars in high regard, but I devoted myself to the Abbess because she is a great teacher who takes the Divine and delivers it to those who need it most, and works to see the Law made manifest in our world, and safeguard it from venal predations and our mortal failings. Personal pursuit of enlightenment can only take one so far...
~
...and love of the Law itself is no great virtue - the Law is great because of how the divine guides mankind. Be gentle with those who exalt it's name a little too freely - zeal is admirable, so long as it leads somewhere beyond that. Still, I will spend all day with an eager student sooner than one who is not.

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~
Zarina's first impressions…

Macit Cypress: A masked thief fears being recognised. Is this one any different?
Shodana Khashayarsha: A noble need not be from Geth to make me feel uneasy.
Kasra Coriander: A charming but irreverent fellow. Very distracting!
Navid Nima: A man seemingly ambivalent about the present.
Jad Amir: A protector who left his post. I'm uncertain if it'll be for good or ill.
Musad Sundown: A look in his eyes makes me feel fortunate about my family.
Sister Reyhana: A woman who I should feel some kinship with but… hmm.
Reza Shadhevar Shahwaleed: A side of the Law that's hard for me to ignore.

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Feed me and tell me I'm pretty
Shodana Khashayarsha is an interesting one. Her powers make her a great ally, but I fear I'll forever be watching my back when she's around. If only I knew more about her vile deity!

Kasra Coriander looks at me with a naked attraction. That could be useful someday. Nevertheless, I find myself happy to have a kindred spirit, no matter his proclivities.

Navid Nima makes me nervous. A man with no past, a list of vices that could carpet my home and a sleeping monster inside does not bring trust with him.

Jad Amir seems a decent sort, if a bit bloody minded. Hopefully he can appreciate the scalpel when the sword is unneeded.

Musad Sundown is a man with nothing left to lose. I can relate, and the stories I had heard of the Sundown Clan convince me he'll be a great help.

Sister Reyhana conceals her nature. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but its worth noting. In some ways I envy her for being able to come out of the shadows when she pleases.

Zarina Farhevar Rafhezadi, a scholar enthralled by the Law. I've heard this tune before, but I only hope the chorus will change this time.

Reza Shadhevar Shahwaleed is a zealot. On the one hand, that sort of passion is hard to work with, mostly leading to discussion at the point of a sword. On the other, know a man's passion and you can predict his every move.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013
OOC: Wanted the characters to be able to be able to get to know each other via conversation + flesh out characters during the down-time they've had at the pool.

Mood Music

Shodana

The Fae-marked pool

The Bey sits across from Reza. Her long raven hair freed from the headcloth she normally wears as she replaces the damaged article of clothing and attends to her wounds. Her face half illuminated by her dying torch. “Have you attended to your injuries Ser?” She shakes her head as she spies Reza’s bloody bindings covering his wounds “Why wouldst thy walk such a path o’scion of the Shahwalweed?” Her speech reverts to the more archaic Gethian of her land. Her cold eyes pass over the geometric patterns of his helmet and his curly dark hair of “Haven’t thou kith and kin who rely upon thy labors?”

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
I figured we ought to take this opportunity to take stock OOC and see where things are at. Folks have successfully managed to complete an incursion, with a few drops and casualties along the way. Along the way, it took us roughly four months to complete, with some holidays and vacations here and there during the interim.

Hopefully you all had fun and enjoyed the descent into murky malaise and taking the fight to foul abominations we've had thus far. As is fairly typical with PBP games in general though, I know that for a lot of folks the luster can abate a bit after the initial momentum of any thread, and all too often games will launch but then fail to find a good conclusion or wrap.

That being said, how are folks feeling where we're at? Are you excited to carry on, continue adventuring and delving together? Have you had your fill, preferring to call this a wrap for things as they lay?

I'd like to get a feel for things as we take a breather after a hard-won victory and together decide what's next--whether that's leveling up, recruiting new blood and going through less fatal downtime, or seeing to a denouement after experimenting with setting and system and seeing our intrepid party written to their personal sunsets.

Either way, those of you who stuck it out with us, I salute you and thank you!

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

I love the setting and what you are doing with it, Gaist! I'm intrigued to see where the game can go from here so i am more than willing and happy to continue onwards!

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013
I'm having fun. I am just worried about the quality of my posts, and I am worried that I am hogging too much of the limelight.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

I like it just fine. The GMing is great–the setting, the writing, the maps. I like how the game sort of plays itself through all the minutae. I'm in for the long haul, want more treasure and levels for sure.

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~
I'm up for continuing it.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

I'm enjoying it so far.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
Alright, it seems like enough folks are having fun and keen to continue, so onward we'll go. A couple have yet to say yea or nay, so I'll still keep an eye open and reach out a bit to see who else is or isn't still on board. If need be, we can also look at potentially bringing in some more folks as well.

I will be organizing a more thorough update and cash-out of what the party recovered, but in the meantime I can say that you have all decisively advanced to second level. Here's the main bit you'll want to look at for your advancement:

You can do so with MadBot on IRC and report the results here.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013
<mpb> !roll 2 1d20 #rolling levels for intelligence and willpower in that order
* MadBot rolled 1d20 for mpb and got ( 18 1 ) for a total of: 19

Int goes from 11->13
Willpower remains the same

<mpb> !roll 2 1d100 #new spell masteries, rolled from generic table rather than school specialization
* MadBot rolled 1d100 for mpb and got ( 28 60 ) for a total of: 88
<mpb> !roll 1d100 #re-rolling 28 as paralysis is already mastered
* MadBot rolled 1d100 for mpb and got 15

New spells mastered:
15 - Find Poison
60- Ventriloquism

MinutePirateBug fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 17, 2017

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~
Intelligence 12-14: * MadBot rolled d20 for Razeam and got 13

Willpower 6-9: * MadBot rolled d20 for Razeam and got 19

Mastered Binding and Voice of Command: * MadBot rolled d10 for Razeam and got 1; * MadBot rolled d10 for Razeam and got 10

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

quote:

Docbubonic Willpower
Docbubonic !roll 1d20
MadBot rolled 1d20 for Docbubonic and got 7
Docbubonic Int
Docbubonic !roll 1d20
MadBot rolled 1d20 for Docbubonic and got 19

+1 to Wil since Wil is 12

and
+2 Int since Int is 10

Do I automatically get new spells since Ezra is a cultist?

EDIT

Rolling 1d100 twice for spells

quote:

Docbubonic !roll 1d100
MadBot rolled 1d100 for Docbubonic and got 6
Docbubonic !roll 1d100
MadBot rolled 1d100 for Docbubonic and got 61

So Ezra gets Martial Inspiration and Binding

Unless I need to reroll to get something that isn't law based:

quote:

Docbubonic !roll 1d100
MadBot rolled 1d100 for Docbubonic and got 65
Docbubonic !roll 1d100
MadBot rolled 1d100 for Docbubonic and got 29

Instead I got Sleep

DocBubonic fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Apr 19, 2017

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013
yes +2 mastered spells per level for cultists either roll 1d10 for both if using choosen school, or 1d100

MinutePirateBug fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 18, 2017

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

MinutePirateBug posted:

yes +2 mastered spells per level for cultists either roll 1d10 for both if using choosen school, or 1d100

Thanks, edited in the rolls.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

quote:

(10:08:44 PM) slydingdoor: Ferocity
(10:08:47 PM) slydingdoor: !roll 1d20
(10:08:47 PM) ***MadBot rolled 1d20 for slydingdoor and got 1
(10:08:50 PM) slydingdoor: rip
(10:08:57 PM) slydingdoor: Intelligence
(10:09:01 PM) slydingdoor: !roll 1d20
(10:09:02 PM) ***MadBot rolled 1d20 for slydingdoor and got 17
(10:09:10 PM) slydingdoor: drat, if I had reversed the orders

Int goes from 6 to 9.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Currently unable to do rolls so i will do so once i am back home on Saturday.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
As circumstances unfolded and decisions had been made, certain treasures were left behind, forfeited or overlooked during the course of your first incursion. Nevertheless, you still managed to appropriate and liberate a not insubstantial haul—and Kasra and Ezra helped to top off the remnants at the very end prior to the group’s withdraw. Thus, for purposes of reference, here are the results of the first incursion:

Sanctum of Slaughter - Total Treasure Tally
    * 2303 cyphers in ordinary coinage
    * Additional cut gemstones (three banded agates worth 10 cyphers each, six eye agates worth 10 cyphers each, two hematites worth 20 cyphers each, a lapis lazuli worth 40 cyphers, two malachites worth 30 cyphers each, a ruby worth 150 cyphers, an emerald worth 110 cyphers, three sapphires worth 50 cyphers each.)
    * Several cut gemstones (a chalcedony worth 30 cyphers, two chrysoberyl worth 90 cyphers apiece, and a red garnet worth 100 cyphers)
    * Five unworked gemstones (roughly cut rubies with purplish-red colouration shot through with veins of orange; worth 35 cyphers apiece, or 175 cyphers in total.)
    * A tied rawhide strip with smooth polished wooden beads in a simple loop, stained to show wood grain—a set of worry beads. (valued at 1 cypher.)
    * A metal flask embossed with an emblem of a large tree, filled with fragrant whiskey. (30 cypher value)
    * A dented copper ring with a barely legible emblem of a pair of crossed daggers (valued at 45 cyphers)
    * A pair of ivory dice in a velvet purse (valued at 50 cyphers)
    * A glass vial of fine musky perfume (valued at 50 cyphers)
    * A bronze jug fashioned to look like an elephant’s head with its curled trunk as the handle (valued at 20 cyphers)
    * A magical wooden ring with a strange protrusion—Ring of Tinders which can spark small flames when struck against a rough surface, allowing for far quicker lighting of torches and other flammables than a traditional flint and tinder (valued at 36 cyphers.)
    * A magical spice jar, two inches in diameter and four inches high, with a metal cap screwed down on the top of it. Small organic matter kept in the jar remains fresh indefinitely. Presently, the jar contains ground turmeric; though magical, the jar is no more durable than its ordinary glass equivalent. (valued at 100 cyphers.)
    * A magical golden ring with a thick, heavy band etched with intricate symbols of vigilance—Ring of Vigor; while worn, this ring provides the wearer +1 to their Disposition per character level. The initial wearer receives this benefit immediately, but thereafter it takes 48 hours for a new wearer to begin receiving this benefit. (Valued at 2000 cyphers.)
    * 3x Sickles, 2x Daggers, 2x Hooks, 2x Clubs (19 cyphers total)
    * 2x Short bow (60 cyphers)
    * 2x Quiver (20 cyphers)
    * 36x Arrows (9 cyphers)
    * Amulet of Feasting, its full properties are unknown—but Shodana receives a +3 bonus to her Health while wearing it (applied now to her current and total); conversely, her appetite has grown enormously, requiring more than double her typical rations to remotely sate her hunger. Additional effects as of yet unknown; approximate cypher value will be revealed later, should the amulet be successfully removed from the incursion.
    * The Scripture of Law, a text seemingly among the early recounts of the prophets; the book is fashioned with a black leather binding, its cover adorned with a golden inlay depicting the sun rising over the horizon. (valued at 50 cyphers)
    * Expended - A synecdoche of Acid Spray (valued at 150 cyphers)
    * A complete magical formulae of Bridge (valued at 100 cyphers)
    * A complete magical formulae of Climbing (valued at 100 cyphers)
    * A complete magical formulae of Charm Animals (valued at 200 cyphers)
    * A complete magical formulae of Featherlight (valued at 100 cyphers)
    * A complete magical formulae of Immobilize Person (valued at 300 cyphers)
    * A complete magical formulae of Invisible Servant (valued at 300 cyphers)

Value of the Amulet of Feasting for experience purposes: 4000 cyphers.
Value of destroying the Anchor for experience purposes: 9000 cyphers.
Total dispersible treasure value 7128 cyphers.

Final tally for experience purposes: 20128 cypher value or, 2516 XP per character from a party of 8 at completion.

Distribution of dispersible wealth is liable to be a little uneven due to the heavier costs in magical findings.

Note that any large influx of cyphers as a result of looting an incursion prompts local inflation as it enters the economy (regardless of whether or not you try to withhold to divvy out over longer stretches, just for the sake of mechanical sanity.) As a result, book prices for Narkavrum’s mundane goods and services have presently doubled.

In addition to tending to your more sundry and personal needs with your newfound finances, as well as covering living expenses until your next incursion, the ensemble has the opportunity to invest in the institutions of Narkavrum itself in order to grow and improve the support services available to you as a group.

Investing at least 100 cyphers in an institution makes it Notable, 1,000 total makes it Significant, and 10,000 total makes it Exceptional. These classifications mostly translate into how many special services a given institution can provide to your adventurers in between adventures.

There’s a lot more to say about institutions than I’d like to paste into the thread here, so instead I encourage folks to take a perusal through the Creating Institutions portion of the book at your leisure—and if anyone would like to suggest particular institutions that may be of interest for the party here, please feel free to do so.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

quote:

<A_Velociraptor> !roll 1d20
* MadBot rolled 1d20 for A_Velociraptor and got 10
<A_Velociraptor> !roll 1d20
* MadBot rolled 1d20 for A_Velociraptor and got 15

Ferocity and Health +1

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

[07:01] <ambivalent> !roll 1d20
[07:01] * MadBot rolled 1d20 for ambivalent and got 14
[07:01] <ambivalent> !roll 1d20
[07:01] * MadBot rolled 1d20 for ambivalent and got 2
+2 Health, +0 Ferocity

I'm have some institution ideas, or rather Reyhana does, will post something probably tonight. Beep

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
[12:35] <tincanmademan> !roll 1d20 ferocity 10
[12:35] * MadBot rolled 1d20 for tincanmademan and got 2
[12:36] <tincanmademan> !roll 1d20 health 9
[12:36] * MadBot rolled 1d20 for tincanmademan and got 9

+0 Ferocity, +1 Health

Investing in medical leisure services would be Kasra's first priority

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~
I'd suggest a bank as a starting point for somewhere safe to store our loot. Not sure what else would be good since I feel unfamiliar with the town itself and this facet of the rules.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

I concur with Razeam for a bank of some sort to safely store treasures. Also a Hospital or the next best thing.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013
A bank is reasonable, but I think a printing press both because hey cheap and quickly produced synecdoches of healing and pretty much everything else - everyone is a mage now. Also it would be easy to pitch to Reyhana and Zarina for the socially innovative/disruptive aspects that mass literature imply, and possibly to others if they saw the potential moola + usefulness in creating an industry that will revolutionize magic usage in this society . Then again I don't really have any free cyphers to invest because money due to my cult to actually gain experience, and the cost

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

I too have only half of my money but I agree that getting more spells is good. Not just for how useful they are but for how funny they can be when they go wrong.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

How many cyphers are we getting anyways? Before i start putting money into any community improvements, I have some personal improvements to make.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013
Tier 1 is 100, tier 2 is 1,000 tier 3 is 10,000 (notable, significant, exceptional). Then double everything due to inflation so 200-2,000-20,000. So the first two tiers are within our price range. Individual contributions affect the alignment of the institution. Note that is total spent so T2 isn't 1,100 it is just 1,000 total spent on that institution.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Reyhana would support a school or clinic of some kind, any sort of basis for a communal hub. I expect she'd give about all her cyphers, maybe save enough to afford a weapon that isn't a rusty hatchet. Print shop would be something she'd be more skeptical of, as it's more indirect and less hands on with the community.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Due to his class, Ezra will have to donate half his earnings to his cult (which I need to work out). After that and some personal expenses, Ezra is interested in opening up a hospital for the poor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013
The magic item takes up more than my fair share of the take from dungeon so I really shouldn't have a say in this, but in character a university/school or a hospital would probably get more support from my character than a bank would. In order to show off noble generosity.

• Locked thread