Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Just decided to leap in and take a stab at ~Creating An Institution~, I dunno if I did this right, and gladly accepting any input or changes folks would prefer. I don't if we ever hashed out specifically how many ciphers each of us receives, but Reyhana would dump in just about everything sans meager living expenses.

Dayr al-Aizdihar al-Jadid

Narkavrum is wealthy in raw minerals, and in the products refined from those resources, but to truly prosper, it is her people that must be enriched. The wealthy merchants that own the foundries can manage just fine, but for the rest of the people, as the city grows, it is education that will be the key to their future prosperity, and the alms to sustain them

To that end: Dayr al-Aizdihar al-Jadid, A House of New Prosperity, for the purpose of fostering learning and charitable work.

A charitable institution that offers early education, some higher education - of medicine and the Law, as well as practical/vocational training. Students in residence and attendees are expected to spend a portion of their team serving in the community, providing meals - especially to children, and offering rudimentary care for the infirm. The children in need that come for food or shelter become the students that mind their lessons, and some of those in-turn, become the teachers and caretakers of the Dayr. And so it sustains itself, with some significant financial assistance.

It is very much in the model of the monastery that raised Reyhana in the capital, with perhaps less theological emphasis, less political influence and no assassins (for now!). Perhaps the first wave of teachers, scholars, and lay ministry even comes from the Abbess's madrasa from the capital.

Per the book:
  • Provide Information (A library and/or rumors/gossip among the working & lower classes of the city)
  • Protects the Reputation of Investors (A place of education for young children and almshouse/community center)
  • Offers specialized services (Healing/rest & rehabilition? Maybe like a sanatorium as listed? Or from social workers & would-be student physicians?)

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at 12:16 on May 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~
Looks like a good option, Ambivalent!

If we ignore selling useful items, we'd have 3,674 cyphers to split between us.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
Kasra would support putting some cyphers into the following Narkavrum institution:

A Sulaymanean House

A humble place named for the Confessor, Sulayman, who is prominent in many tales, scriptures, and histories of the Divine. Many such houses are fanned wide, but not densely, across the Kingdom. Sulayman was a poet, wanderer, and proselytizer, and so these institutions serve as a safe and honored place for vagabonds, travelers, and refugees to rest their head and take part in the free exchange of doctrine, philosophy, art, and affection. Worship is held here, if an imam lodges and offers; minstrelsy, if bards do; athletics and arenas if mercenaries do; and so on.

The Sulaymanean House of Narkavrum boasts a thrice-dozen curtained beds, a public bath, and a bowled stage. Its security and sanitation are often secured through mild patronage from the city's bourgeoisie, though any public lecture or performance will always have more members of the commons than the merchant classes in attendance.

Visitors to Narkavrum's Sulaymanean House may find:
  • Foreigners who can provide information regarding antique lands or esoteric arts
  • A bandaged mummer of Memuun, Nequillian concubines, soggyfolk on their pilgrimages south, or any other such rare person who may provide strange and specialized services
  • Windblown sellswords and hobos who may rest for a night before offering themselves as hirelings for a good moon's work

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013
Questions:
1. I checked on the bug guy we fought after the fight and apparently all our rations rotted if we entered his aura not sure if Gaist cares about this or not.
2. Also I am not sure how selling things works for cultists do I apply do I only get 1/4th of the value of whatever I sell because of the selling penalty and then the cultist penalty?
3. Does the selling equipment penalty of 50% apply to the gemstones etc.. that we brought back with us? Because if it does we have far less than 562 gold per person.
4. It says that the money tithed by the cultist goes can either goes to back superiors or establishing a local cult does this local cult temple act as a social institution or does this penalty have no positive effect?
5. I am not sure what a restful day is considered. Does a day spent re-memorizing spells count as a day that is restful for the purpose of attribute restoration? How about a day spent constructing scrolls? Or selling your services as a mage?
6. Does the scholar's ability of healing 1d4 * lvl attribute lose take effect during between nightmare time or only during nightmare encounter rests?
7. I kind of wanted to sell the amulet of feasting to invest more in social institutions, but the book says I need to find a special buyer for magic items and I wasn't sure if the experience cypher value translated into an actual cypher value. Also if the penalty for selling it is receiving 1/4th of the value that weighs on my decision making as well.
8. Does crafting scrolls come with the same inflation penalty as buying other equipment? So under current circumstance 200 * level of spell rather than 100 * level of spell.

Also, not that makes much difference but Reyhana should have 80 extra cyphers from the pewter armlet and gemstone that Shodana gave her in the dungeon, these items weren't included in the treasure list I believe.

MinutePirateBug fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jun 17, 2017

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
Sorry for the short belated reply; gems and similar treasure are essentially full value as they can stand as currency. Assume that whatever the group sells is equitable in price, the cult expenditures are based on whatever you individually receive from a given sale essentially (your share.)

Establishing local cults may potentially serve as another flavor of institution--and possible complexities in the community to surface later.

You'll want to buy new rations before you set out. Restful activity = not working, but creating scrolls or the like is fine. Amulet is meant to require some work to actually sell, the cypher value was so you could get xp without having to wait on finding one.

Scroll crafting etc. aren't affected by inflation for now, I'll err in that direction.

I don't recall a 1d4 attribute off the top of my head and didn't see it at a glance in the rules, I'll check later though. Edit: oh because I was looking at cultist not scholar. Since the scholar heal refers to only being able to treat a temp reduction once between fresh injuries I'd say out of dungeons scholars can apply it once to someone healing--provided they did not already utilize a chance to do so in the dungeon itself.

GaistHeidegger fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jun 17, 2017

• Locked thread